Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guide to being an After Hours Boardsie

Options
  • 08-02-2018 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

I thought we could make a list of tips for newbie's to After Hours on how to conduct themselves and navigate the waves of sensible discussion that we are all accustomed to.

*Warning, may contain gross generalisations*

Which, coincidentally, is tip no. 1

1. Make gross generalisations, about everything and everyone.
    2. You must like dogs. If you don't you are a cold-hearted sociopath. Cats are only acceptable while appearing in amusing videos or gifs.
    3. Anyone who has a different view than yours is completely delusional, and has no idea how to function in modern society.
    4. If you hold a popular and widely held belief in something, be prepared to be called out for the fool that you are.
    5. If fussyonion has posted in the Dumb Facebook posts thread, do yourself a favour and read it for the LOL's.
    6. If you are a vegan, be prepared to be assaulted at every level for even mentioning it.
    7. If you are not a vegan, be sure to make fun of vegans.
    8. Announce you atheism. because how will everyone know how enlightened you are?
    9. Stay out of the Trump thread.
    10. At every opportunity, remind everyone how you go against convention. e.g. Call Facebook "Bookface", or "I don't own a TV, I watch everything online"
    11. Do you know everything? No ya don't. Have a read of "I bet you didn't know that",

Anything else?? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭DredFX

12. Always post with the intention of getting lots of thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

13) ABP
    Always be Presidential

Remember that ya idiotic shower of bigly loser spastics!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

15. Pay attention to detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

16. If you are vegan - let everyone know it

17. Have a sly go at other posters in the guise of making "a list of tips for newbies" ...

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

16. When you appear to be losing in an exchange of views attempt to save face by requesting academic citations for the other posters most obvious assertions , eg. people over 75 are more likely to die than those under 30. It will make you look intelligent.

17. Take everything personally, yes this new thread topic is directed at you because this it has been made by the poster that argued a similar point with you last week. Get in there and have a dig, the more hysterical the response the better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Mackman wrote: »
    I thought we could make a list of tips for newbie's to After Hours on how to conduct themselves and navigate the waves of sensible discussion that we are all accustomed to.

*Warning, may contain gross generalisations*

Which, coincidentally, is tip no. 1

1. Make gross generalisations, about everything and everyone.
    2. You must like dogs. If you don't you are a cold-hearted sociopath. Cats are only acceptable while appearing in amusing videos or gifs.
    3. Anyone who has a different view than yours is completely delusional, and has no idea how to function in modern society.
    4. If you hold a popular and widely held belief in something, be prepared to be called out for the fool that you are.
    5. If fussyonion has posted in the Dumb Facebook posts thread, do yourself a favour and read it for the LOL's.
    6. If you are a vegan, be prepared to be assaulted at every level for even mentioning it.
    7. If you are not a vegan, be sure to make fun of vegans.
    8. Announce you atheism. because how will everyone know how enlightened you are?
    9. Stay out of the Trump thread.
    10. At every opportunity, remind everyone how you go against convention. e.g. Call Facebook "Bookface", or "I don't own a TV, I watch everything online"
    11. Do you know everything? No ya don't. Have a read of "I bet you didn't know that",

Anything else?? :)

22) Quote the OP even though it's obvious what you're replying to.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I thought this was going to be a ****ty re-reg thread, not a bad list at all OP! Now I am going to get out of here before everyone starts having a go at whatever opinions/beliefs they disagree with

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

23 - Multiculturalism. Go on. I dare ya!
    24 - Teachers. I DOUBLE dar ya

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

21. Be strangely hostile to Irish nationalism/republicanism while living in a state created by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

16. When you appear to be losing in an exchange of views attempt to save face by requesting academic citations for the other posters most obvious assertions , eg. people over 75 are more likely to die than those under 30. It will make you look intelligent.

17. Take everything personally, yes this new thread topic is directed at you because this it has been made by the poster that argued a similar point with you last week. Get in there and have a dig, the more hysterical the response the better.

17 1/2. Makes a hames of the numbering system as set up by the OP ... ;)

(Pssst - the above points should be 18 and 19 ... 'Fraid I got there before ye :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

21. Not all Roma gypsies come from Romania.
    20. Its not the fast lane. It's the overtake lane.
    19. Not all women are the same. And they don't have a hive
    mind.
    18. Public sector are overpaid and do a bad job.
    17. Yore ma.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

gozunda wrote: »

17. Have a sly go at other posters in the guise of making "a list of tips for newbies" ...

;)

25. Be cynical, very cynical ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

26. The gardai. Overrated.
    27. Spongers. Really just much maligned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Guide to after hours?
    No mention of Atari jaguar?
    No mention of blast with piss?
    No mention of kicks to the face?

These are all essential ingredients.

3. Avoid commenting while intoxicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

DredFX wrote: »

13. The best way to get lots of thanks is to be the first reply to a new thread. Unfortunately you'll be held to a higher standard.

Even good posts don't get the thanks they deserve while ocuppying this position and they end up just getting quoted a few pages later by a thanks whore, hoping to capitalise on your wit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

28 : Snowflakes : Need not apply

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Pseudorandom

29. Taking a dig at feminism/SJW is always ok no matter how tenuously related to the actual OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

29. Taking a dig at feminism/SJW is always ok no matter how tenuously related to the actual OP.

Always use the word boss when referring to the the travelling community. Don't ever dispute a fact with a mod called Wibbs, you'll lose. The man is a living encyclopedia. Never refer to Donald Trump in a favourable light. Always refer to Michael D in a favourable light. Never talk about football. Gaa talk is allowed. Memorise father ted quotes, a well delivered one will win any argument and will garner many thanks. If you drink Budweiser/Heineken/Carlsberg never admit it as you'll be hung out to dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Live alone (or in digs holed up in your room- or in your parents house) with minimal contact with the outside world and have a borderline personality disorder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

DredFX wrote: »

Copy the most thanked post but change a word or two to get piggyback thanks.

Only read the first and last page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    21. Not all Roma gypsies come from Romania.
    20. Its not the fast lane. It's the overtake lane.
    19. Not all women are the same. And they don't have a hive
    mind.
    18. Public sector are overpaid and do a bad job.
    17. Yore ma.

Actually the correct term is yor ma. Or yer, yeer or the colloquial yissr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Let it go, let it go
    Can't hold it back anymore

Let it go, let it go
    Turn away and slam the door
    I don't care
    what they're going to say
    Let the storm rage on.
    The cold never bothered me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

You've got to hate the Catholic church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Prime Irish Beef

Everyone on the dole are worse than Hitler.

And lets not mention travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

42. Use the terms straw-man and hyperbole a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

49. Be passionate about your simply attending weddings is present enough.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

37. Use the term per se to look intelligent but spell it 'per say' and look like a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

You've got to hate the Catholic church.

Amen to that brother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

38. When a mildly controversial topic comes up be sure to post *gets popcorn* within the first five posts of the thread.

39. If someone asks for any kind of advice to do with their home like a spider in the bath be sure to be in quickly with sound advice like 'burn the house down'

40. If the thread concerns travellers the appropriate post should include the word 'culture'.

Advertisement