Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ionity charging network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Had a similar issue last Tuesday there with Freshmile. Tried 2 different Ionity Units as it was quiet and got same error on both. Rang Ionity support and after at least 10mins of disconnect, reconnect, tap card etc. eventually the charge session started. The support agent didn’t seem to have a clue as to what was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Kill North (Circle K). I tried Stalls 3 and 4 and 4 eventually worked while I was on the phone to Ionity Support.

Thanks thats good to know!

On a different note as I had to do an ionity direct instead of freshmile for last Saturday I noticed on my invoice that they had charged me 73c including Vat!!

I have pointed out to them on the support site that their website says 71c including vat

Just incase anyone anyone else gets caught..

Toppy

Used Kill North again on Friday - Freshmile card worked this time!

Happy to pay 27euros for 50kwh instead of 35! (although Ionity is charging Vat at 13.5 and Freshmile is charging at 20%)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭gar

Went to Athlone today and there was an e2008 parked perpendicular to bay 4 and occupying another parking spot. Had to laugh.

Then some electric Audi, could have been some hybrid came into bay 3 at about a 45 degree angle. They hadn't a clue how to connect. Moved to bay 1 beside me, tried again and then headed off.

Mad Ted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭wassie

Athlone Ionity has really turned into a sh!tshow since the summer. Used to use it weekly, but avoid it now because of this and general congestion. ESB at Kinnegad is a much better option on the M4/M6 route now ESB have been able to actually design a decent hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

That's actually remarkably good parking by Audi standards, usually they're halfway across the kerb as well

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭markad1

Thanks Wassie, this site isn't showing on my app 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 21,741 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Theres now 6 fully functional HPC plugs at that site, the Ionity Athlone, 4 Ionity and one dual headed Circle K 350kW with 2 ccs plugs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

The circle K one seems to only allow one ccs (not sure about Chademo) to connect currently

Have seen a couple of occasions where a second car has tried to charge and had to head over to Ionity

Tried it myself at the weekend but it would not allocate the second plug

I am assuming it doesn't have enough power

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Is this one the CircleK 50kW charger, or has the 300kW been commissioned yet? Plugshare says it's still not in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

It is the new 350/300kw that has replaced the 50kw that never worked

It is definitely somewhat working as I have seen a couple of different cars charging off it but never more than one at a time but as you point out it may not be officially up and running yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭10-10-20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Replacing a non-working 50kW charger with the 300/350 one. Still doesn't work but is quicker at it. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I think that's what they call failing upwards 😏

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

There was a taycan charging at it and I went to the ionity instead, but the other side had the lighting indicating it was available to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭zg3409

A strange spot, would have expected their next big site to be on the Dublin to Belfast route, or further south west from where they are goinig now, in the black hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I received the Ionity newsletter into my inbox this morning and it seems that there are three new Ionity sites being built in Northern Ireland. Two have been mentioned here recently, but I don't think the third has, which is the site in Dungannon at the end of the M1/A4 between Belfast and Enniskillen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭dsandson

Yeah we've watched it through planning, and its been on the in construction page there for a few days now. Its M&M Contractors installing it, same as the other 2 Ionity sites, and same people who did the EasyGo & Weev installs recently for the Faster Project. Looks like Belfast & Toome will be live in the new year.

Dungannon is a great spot, right off the A4 dual carriageway. Its excellent for Belfast area to Enniskillen, Omagh & Donegal. Its a bit of a backtrack for Dublin - Lifford direction traffic though.

Ionity also appear to have 2 further sites at petrol forecourts in NI. Derry site is approved, and the Omagh site is just a few weeks into the planning process.

I suppose the interesting question is why they are going great guns in the north, but besides Waterford & Dublin not much activity in the south

EDIT to say Dungannon is 12 bays, and looks to have space for another 6. Both Belfast and Toome are to be able to be expanded to 18 as well. Toome was to be 12 but only 6 installed now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Its well placed for the Derry to Belfast traffic, Just off the dual carriageway. Also, its still east of the Bann.

I could see me using it on the return trip from Dublin. (I go via Belfast as its a much nicer run than Strabane/Omagh/Monaghan route)

Is the Derry site at the new builds on the Gransha roundabout? The BP ones at Gee's can be really busy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭dsandson

Yeah that's the one. I guess it could be a bit before the forecourt starts construction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Ionity UK 2024

https://x.com/electricfelix/status/1737945843703910449?s=46&t=JJzoP-ETgaWRYF7T_Hzysg

Andreas Atkins for IONITY UK 🇬🇧 closing year statement:

"Approaching the end of the year, I'm delighted to share that we are gearing up for an exciting start in the UK in 2024. IONITY currently has 17 new sites under construction across England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland, in addition to the existing 23 open sites. With many many more to come throughout 2024!

No less than 204 new 350 kW High-power chargers, all powered by 100% renewable energy, are currently being installed. The sites are scheduled to go live and be accessible from early January until April 2024, representing a substantial leap forward in enhancing the charging infrastructure for electric vehicles.

No mention of Ireland…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭denismc

I think the clue is in the title, " Ionity UK".

I passed the Toome site today and construction looks to be complete, so hopefully these will be live in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Andreas Atkins is the Ionity county manager for UK and Ireland, they only use social media to post.

He could have made a separate post for Ireland if he wanted, maybe has nothing to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 juggernaut2

New ev last April which we charge on drive. But about 4 to 5 times a year we need to charge when away from home. Up to now we've done so at applegreen's. We heard about city north and we were going to charge there but saw we had to preregister, pay €20 and then .75 a kwh. Drop on to next applegreen and the ONE charging unit was busy. Fortunately not for long but several months ago there was several charger (plenty of tesla though). So my question is ionity inevitable? Should we bite the bullet and sign up for the few times we're away from home? I've read the recent pages and ionity users seem to be putting in lots of miles and not charging at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Megastreisand

I'm going to jump in here. Isn't Applegreen something like. 75c per kWhr which is either the same or more expensive than full price ionity? If you divide the monthly subscription (and I think you only have to commit to a month at a time now) by the savings per kWhr then as long as you charge by that amount your ahead - very roughly 40 kWhr. Ionity also has the significant advantage of not being a SPOF (that's single point of failure to you) compared to some Applegreen and is generally reliable by public ev charger standards.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I use ChargePoint for Ionity, and there is no pre-registering with €20…. They bill me what I charge at whatever the current Ionity rate is, and nothing more.

Applegreen can be got for €0.68/kWh if you are using their app (which also avoids their €30 pre authorisation if you simply tap and pay with them…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,437 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Well it’s a statement by IONITY UK. I’d be pissed if they did mention Ireland in the statement….

Post edited by ted1 on

Advertisement