Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future and potential Star Wars films - news and speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Mmmmm...while the first John Wick movie was an ok romp, it was as empty as used can of beans. Can't say that I'm all that enthused.

Mind you, I have no idea who would make for a good director of a Star Wars movie these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, I think whatever else it was John Wick 4 both had fabulous action choreography and genuinely stunning cinematography; the script might be thin but damn, it could look good. And when you think about it, Star Wars doesn't really have any memorable action scenes that stand out

As to directors? Good question cos I'm not immediately sure either? James Cameron maybe? The man knows how to film clean, well staged action. Avatar Way of Water was broadly pants but that last act on the ship was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,294 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I doubt it would be his cup of tea however I wouldn't mind seeing Paul Greengrass have a swing at a Star Wars story.

I could imagine he would go the way of Andor storytelling with some good action rolled in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I never thought Spider-Man would but we know there's a Cameron script out there, and he was trying to make a Spidey film for years, so who knows?

No memorable action scenes in Star Wars? Did read that right?

The whole beginning is very memorable. The entire attack on the Death Star. In Empire you have the Imperial attack on Hoth and Solo trying to outrun Imperials in the asteroid field, in Jedi there's the Sarlacc scene and the whole space battle at the end. Just off the top of my head, they're all very memorable action scenes.

I think people tend to forget just how energetic Star Wars was, because action sequences in movies are just so common place these days.

Cameron as a Star Wars director? Mmmmmm, don't really see that. But then, I've never rated him as a director TBH. Sure, he can do spectacle due to his effects background no doubt. But his director of people he falls very short. Mind you, is that really needed for a Star Wars movie.

• Advertisement

I explained it poorly. I meant in terms of ... I dunno, heightened balletic stuff that was once Hong Kong's forte and the likes of John Wick honed into something bordering on artistic. the Last Jedi throne room fight was the nearest it came - but generally Star Wars scenes have been very economical. Not a criticism mind you, just how they have been - hence James Cameron being a good fit 'cos he doesn't necessarily bring a style to his work. He's a master craftsman.

Like, imagine Stahelski shooting a lightsabre fight with his style and ability to choreograph complex set pieces; I've always felt saber fights too stale, bordering on tedious with lots of aimless swooshing - oh hello Ahsoka, didn't see you there. John Wick with Lightsabres? Yes please.

Oh right, you meant in a kinda John Woo sorta thing? No, there's nothing like that in Star Wars really (and by that I mean the OT). In any case, I'm glad of that because that kind of bullet ballet stuff never grabbed me.

As for lightsabers and whatnot, I've always said that the best lightsaber fight in any Star Wars thing was in 'Return of the Jedi. Not so much because of its choreography, but because it looks like a real fight. It's pure righteous anger that Luke beats his father with and it fuels the whole scene in a way that no other lightsaber fight has.

I absolutely hated the chorus line dance offs that were in the sequels.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

There's a world of difference between the type of fight choreography on display in something from John Woo compared to John Wick though, just saying!

And I appreciate what you mean about the duel in Jedi, there was so much emotion between Luke and Vader in that fight, been building for 3 movies!

But the fight choreography in Star wars could definitely stand to have a bit more flair applied to it, hence the Wick reference with Stahelski at the helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

‘The Mandalorian & Grogu’: Jon Favreau To Direct And Produce ‘Star Wars’ Pic For Lucasfilm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Disney in real ‘throw **** at the wall and see if anything actually enters production’ mode with regards to the Star Wars film franchise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The title doesn't exactly scream inspiration & original ideas...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’m somewhat surprised they didn’t just give in to the marketing team’s demands and put the words ‘Baby Yoda’ in the title instead of Grogu.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ahsoka Season 2 also confirmed.

For the love of all that is good and holy put together a video package or prequel summary for things from the animated shows we need to know before the next season....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Disney in general are just so bereft of ideas right now.

Dear god I could give less of a shít at that news; I honestly would have thought Mando had worn out its welcome after that meandering nothing that was Season 3.

With each passing year Andor looks like a total fluke among a holding pattern of slop. Is Mando still the only true original idea (given technically Andor was a prequel)? I know Skeleton Crew is a new story, but the aversion to telling anything new is pretty pathetic if true.

Mandalorian season 3 (and honestly even starting in season 2) was maybe the biggest nosedive quality wise I’ve seen a series make since something like Heroes. That they’re doubling down on the lore and interconnectedness - a Mando film before the Filoni-verse one - is extremely unappealing.

I'd love to know at what point in the past "Lore" overtook Star Wars' knockabout anything goes universe; cos I wanna know who to blame for this series becoming suffocated by man children taking their toyset far too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Since the force turned female Star Wars is unwatchable... Notable exceptions being Rogue One and The Mandalorian. Everything else is awful.

It's been that way since they bought it, which is remarkable really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭McFly85

The Mandalorian/Grogu story finished at the end of season 2, season 3 and The Book of Boba Fett were dreadful unnecessary extensions to that, so of course Disney is ploughing on with it.

The Star Wars universe history spans thousands of years, so it’s really disappointing to see Disney insist with just looking at stories in the same time period over and over again while shoehorning in their own continuity. Suppose it’s too difficult for them to do fan service if they go that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I could see the Baby Yoda movie doing well maybe, another Rey movie has got to a dud though

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

What's enraging is that Synder's awful Rebel Moon was a bit of a cold-water reminder that Star Wars can easily entertain with rebranded tellings of standard or iconic stories - yet increasingly the franchise seems saddled with tedious Lore-driven series that are intractable entities full of Jedi standing in a room talking about Buhl'Sheet, legendary Master Artisan of the Force from the last era blah blah blah.

Rebel Moon was 7 Samurai, in space - give us that in Star Wars! It's literally Geoge Lucas' own inspiration circling back into the modern-day.

Do Die Hard in Star Wars; do John Wick in Star Wars; do ... I dunno, 12 Angry Men in Star Wars, but the franchise seems utterly at sea. And probably won't get any better now Dave Filoni is driving the bus. At first I was totally disinterested in Skeleton Crew, but I'm suddenly desperate for it to be good - just 'cos it appears to be a new story of new characters, divorced from the Force.

It's so weird 'cos it's clear there's a lot of pushback with this slapdash approach. Star Wars should be the easiest property to translate into entertainment, yet they keep whiffing things spectacularly.

A Mando movie is just truly a case of who asked for this?? 'cos bar the merchandising aspect, I don't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭McFly85

As soon as I heard of Stahelskis interest I immediately thought a high republic era film about a couple of Jedi on a mission gone wrong could be fantastic. Would it be Dredd/The Raid in a galaxy far far away? Sure. Would it be infinitely more interesting than the dead horse they repeatedly beat currently? Absolutely.

Agreed that that Mandalorian's story ended when baby Yoda was handed over to Luke. That's the end of the story right there, but Disney have dragged it out to its death. S03 was absolutely awful.

But while this is true that Disney are persisting with a particular era, the main problem with other eras in Star Wars is that they're just bloody boring. The Imperials make for the perfect bad guys and the political situation re: Rebellion against the Empire is vastly superior to anything else that's on offer elsewhere. This is why Disney can't get out of that loop. Even their sequels were basically a Rebellion against an Empire version 2.0. And it absolutely sucked.

The simple fact is that you have the cleanest and most basic setting to place your story in with the Imperial period. It's the period George Lucas originally imagined in the first place and it's the most fleshed out allowing any audience to get into the story immediately.

Everything else is just a nebulous addition that has never sat well.

@pixelburp

It's so weird 'cos it's clear there's a lot of pushback with this slapdash approach. Star Wars should be the easiest property to translate into entertainment, yet they keep whiffing things spectacularly.

A Mando movie is just truly a case of who asked for this?? 'cos bar the merchandising aspect, I don't understand.

Well, it's 'Solo' again isn't it? Hey everyone knows this guy...let's run it into the ground.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Missed opportunity not going with "Baby Yoda's Day Out"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Three Mandalorians and a Baby

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Didn't really exploit Grogu's 'babyhood' to its full potential in the tv series did they?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Careful now or you will be labelled a misogynist. 😀

Andor is also excellent, outstanding in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

My problem with Filoni is that he started off making a show that appealed to people of all ages and seems to have ended up sliding heavily into the kiddy stuff and the idea of live-action cartoons.

I mean look at Mando S1 compared to Mando S3. You'd never think it was the same person in creative control.

That's not to say Mando S3 is totally devoid of any entertainment value or anything like that, but huge parts of Book of Boba Fett, Ahsoka, Mando S3 and Obi-Wan have this incredibly cartoon-ish, kiddy vibe to them that don't at all gel with the more adult parts.

Really not sure what to make of the movie announcement.

I don't expect everything to be Andor or Rogue One, for obvious reasons, but these shows are in desperate need of better tonal consistency. I mean the original, prequel and sequel trilogies manage this just fine, quality of, or issues with, individual movies aside.

• Advertisement

That's not to say Mando S3 is totally devoid of any entertainment value or anything like that, but huge parts of Book of Boba Fett, Ahsoka, Mando S3 and Obi-Wan have this incredibly cartoon-ish, kiddy vibe to them that don't at all gel with the more adult parts.

Mando season 3 primary sin for me was its primary set of characters were a bunch of religious zealots, whose bucket heads meant nobody was even allowed be seen to emote as they spoke their cod-warrior code crap at every juncture. Pining for a homeworks singularly unappealing and meaningless to most outside of fans. As you say it was really cartoonish too, with the internal logic of something written for babies. The whole "this is the way" thing was cute at first but ye gods dedicating it to an entire season of people one would barely give a crap about? Amateur stuff.

And wasting the great Katie Sackhoff on a thanklessly self-serious role was itself a bit of a sin.

Advertisement