Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joking has escalated - Read Mod warning in post 1

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

splinter65 wrote:
    Do you think the woman who used the insult “baldy†was childish too, or in your opinion was she “only joking�

Of course she was childish. When did I say she wasn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

just go into work tomorrow and Knock the B***** out of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

steo_magra wrote: »
    just go into work tomorrow and Knock the B***** out of her.

Where’s facekicker when we need em?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Mod

This is now the third warning in this thread.

Anymore unhelpful posts will be a ban

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Rezident

She made a derogatory comment about your appearance, you reverted in kind. they're both the same. no issue i can see, except she started it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The Supervisor witnessed the whole thing though.

So she can’t deny saying it.

I’m actually surprised you are being called to a meeting about it.

I would definitely find out the objective of the meeting before I go.

You can’t abuse someone and then start crying when they give it back.

I’m going to go against the grain here and say you were 100% right to react the way you did. You may end up having to apologize and I would be careful how I word it (there’s a couple worded very well above)

that way you won’t wreck the Supervisors head (we get complaints such as Johnny keeps looking at me....blah Blah blah and Johnny says he wasn’t
    Looking that Paddy keeps glaring st him....head wreckers ) but you are still holding the stance that you are there to work but won’t be accepting personal insults.

Her card is marked though, she won’t call you baldy again.

We’ve a lot of balding guys in our office some are quite young and extremely sensitive about it and would take it to heart. I think it’s mean and sly of her to say that to the quiet one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Rezident wrote: »
    She made a derogatory comment about your appearance, you reverted in kind. they're both the same. no issue i can see, except she started it.

Not really, he's was an on the spot reaction... hers was calculated.
    Don't be putting up with any more nasty stuff op, you'll be glad in the end you didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

My response to the manager...

"Glad you thought this was serious enough to have a meeting about. But, to be fair I shouldn't have retaliated. Shur, I know some people have committed suicide over male pattern baldness, but I don't want her disciplined for highlighting my condition.'

I guarantee you you'll not be disciplined.

However, if what you say above is true then you cannot even get a verbal warning as it would have to have lead from a formal process, and you should have been invited to have a witness come with you to the disciplinary meeting.

Your manager is going to ask you to apologise, which is fair, but you should ask if she is going to apologise for interrupting your meeting and being derogatory towards you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Another observation - it is not appropriate for her to tell you to hurry up your conversation so she can speak with the supervisor. Surely she should address the supervisor if at all, and not interrupt your conversation at all, let alone be rude and offensive.

I think she was bang out of order and rude on all 3 fronts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Another observation - it is not appropriate for her to tell you to hurry up your conversation so she can speak with the supervisor. Surely she should address the supervisor if at all, and not interrupt your conversation at all, let alone be rude and offensive. .

Makes you wonder who's the supervisor in that office...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The supervisor should have sorted the matter out there and then. He heard both insults. He should be in as much trouble as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Any benefit to recording tomorrows meeting? (presuming its an informal and you dont have Union with you) - just in case it escalates.

Diceicle wrote: »
    Any benefit to recording tomorrows meeting?

We may as well put this advice up as a stickie in this forum. :rolleyes:

If someone records a conversation on something that isn't even a formal disciplinary matter then they are seriously overreacting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

For her to come up and say something like that you would think it was because you were work mates who slagged each other all the time, who go back a bit. For that to not be the case at all makes her actions really bizarre and rude.

Interrupt someone and tell them to hurry up because I'm more important, and insult them at the same time? Sounds like she was overdue being put back in her box.

You could say, "You first of all inferred that you were more important than me by interrupting and saying I should hurry up, and you also insulted me at the same time. I reacted badly and I regret that."

Technically you're not apologizing, just saying you regret that it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

I have no problem with a meeting being called. Childish stuff like this can be highly decisive amongst a team and certainly something that should not be left to fester. I wouldn't tolerate it amongst any 2 members on any of my teams. You can either be honest and tell her that you were insulted when she showed disrespect to you for taking up the super visors time and humiliated when she called you names and so you retaliated or you can say that you thought she was just having a laugh and joking about and so were you. You'll have to apologise someway but qualify it, that you're willing to put it behind you if she will too?. Document the meeting. If she insults you again note it down and straight to the supervisor. Unfortunately OP in the workplace 2 wrongs don't make a right. Always maintain your professional and if needed report issues via HR.

We may as well put this advice up as a stickie in this forum. :rolleyes:

If someone records a conversation on something that isn't even a formal disciplinary matter then they are seriously overreacting.

It's about risk management. If OP thinks they may get hung out to dry or not get a fair hearing - then why not have this as backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Diceicle wrote:
    It's about risk management. If OP thinks they may get hung out to dry or not get a fair hearing - then why not have this as backup.

It shows intense distrust and the parties involved in such a recording could probably never have a good working relationship if it was done and the recording was ultimately used as evidence.

I'd imagine if you did do, you would never be trusted by management again. Which might be unfair but they might see you as looking to sneakily gather evidence.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Diceicle wrote: »

Ah lads, do ye constantly have your phone on record in your pockets?

This is a minor incident. For it to be anyway serious it'd have to be more than, 'let's have a talk about this on Monday'. There needs to be evidence such as a letter from management requesting a meeting.

My advice, save your battery - in this instance anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Male baldness seems to be something that's pretty much open season. It honestly doesn't bother me but it would be mentioned semi regularly by colleagues in my work in a joshing sense whilst ribbing someone over their weight or looks would be utterly shocking to them.

Given that seems to be how it is in most offices I'm not surprised by the original comment or that she might not have meant to cause genuine offence by it.

However, now that she's had an opportunity to think it over and given she insulted you in a completely unsolicited fashion first, I would (if I was you) be extremely calm.

Do you have a company conduct statement or manual? Literally quote whatever it says about respectful conduct etc and ask whether her saying hurry up baldy adheres to that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

It's a very minor incident but the company seem determined to make it major.

It's at supervisor level. By definition it's not going to be major.

Ah lads, do ye constantly have your phone on record in your pockets?

This is a minor incident. For it to be anyway serious it'd have to be more than, 'let's have a talk about this on Monday'. There needs to be evidence such as a letter from management requesting a meeting.

My advice, save your battery - in this instance anyway.

I don't disagree; this would be a thing to do on the extreme end of the spectrum - however from the OPs post - it could be taken that the instigator is not being called in, only the OP. I'm possibly incorrect here.
    It would also depend on the general culture there too I think. Is there a culture of scapegoating.
    In all probability you're right and it'll be an informal chat to straighten things out / clear the air. No harm being prepared though - just ask Maurice McCabe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The supervisor should have sorted the matter out there and then. He heard both insults. He should be in as much trouble as you.

Nail on head. I'd be telling the supervisor now that he's my only witness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Go in tomorrow with your head held high

Good idea, people won't notice the bald spot then! :D

Just kidding. I'm baldy as hell and not even 40 so I know the feeling.

looksee wrote: »
    'I reacted automatically in the face of ongoing taunts'
    Do we know if this was "ongoing"? I know the thread title suggests ongoing joking but there aren't any examples given.

There are 2 issues here.
    1 - This person felt it was OK to mock you but not acceptable for you to mock back. That's childish and unreasonable.

2 - The supervisor seems like an idiot. The thing should have been resolved on the spot. If not then, it should have been resolved as soon as your colleague made the complaint. All the supervisor had to do was point out that she threw the first stone and as such she might want to just let it slide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

Any update OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

Man , that sucks

The ugly ones can never take a joke !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

1. If you are bald and she is ugly, then you can claim you thought it was just a frank exchange of facts.
    2. If you are bald and she isn't ugly, you can claim you were making an obvious joke that you didn't think she'd take seriously.
    3. If you aren't bald and she isn't ugly, then see point 2 above.
    4. If you aren't bald and she is ugly you are fecked.

Best of luck btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

It's at supervisor level. By definition it's not going to be major.

I would agree with this. More then likely the person made a complaint and the supervisor has to talk with the OP. I have an example where my supervisor came to me to have a discussion because someone made a complaint (it was about noise) and it went look they made a complaint saying you are noisy I and nobody else think you are but I had to just say something.

It should go like this but if on the off chance it does/didn't (could be late here) have your defense ready saying it was reactionary but she started

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I wonder what would happen if you walked in , sat down and said
    iv been thinking about this over the week end and I don't think having this on her permanent record is warranted . if she apologises I wont report it . I feel the embarrassment of someone standing up to her is enough punishment for now

Advertisement