Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday - Dublin Racing Festival - Day 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭piplip87

BumperD wrote: »
    You obviously don’t know Slattsy he’s taking the mick :D

I apologise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

jimjamcos wrote: »
    It may be to do with the fact that he rides a number of horses for Reynolds but only one for Monalee's owners.

Both seem to have similar chances so maybe he's looking at the bigger picture.

Monalee hasnt had a regular jockey since David Mullins rode it when it was hurdling last year.

If a jockey picks up a rapport with a horse, they'll stick by it. Russell has ridden Presenting Percy 9 times. To jump to Monalee would piss off those connections rightly. I'm sure Henry and Barry Maloney realised the importance of getting a regular jock on board. Fehily has ridden Special Tiara for Henry including two Grade 1 successes over the years.

Monalee will win the RSA. A terrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

STB. wrote: »
    Monalee hasnt had a regular jockey since David Mullins rode it when it was hurdling last year.

If a jockey picks up a rapport with a horse, they'll stick by it. Russell has ridden Presenting Percy 9 times. To jump to Monalee would piss off those connections rightly. I'm sure Henry and Barry Maloney realised the importance of getting a regular jock on board. Fehily has ridden Special Tiara for Henry including two Grade 1 successes over the years.

Monalee will win the RSA. A terrier.

5s with Boyles. I think thats still value.

Slattsy wrote: »
    5s with Boyles. I think thats still value.

Before todays race he was 6's for the RSA. Big as 10s previous to that. This horse owes me nothing. One of my favs for a while.

Are Boylesports NRNB ? Dont think so ? His price is as low as 3's with Bet 365. Bet 365 are 1/4 odds and NRNB so you can see why the price went there.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Mr321

In Russells blog for today he said Monalee and Percy are more then likely going to clash at Cheltenham and he will be on Percy and today they wanted whoevers on him then to ride him today.

Fehily will ride and win on him at Cheltenham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

BumperD wrote:
    Why do you think he will break Percy? He was beaten at the festival last year but what would worry me more is he had a really really tough race today and I’d be shocked if it doesn’t leave a mark.

BumperD wrote:
    That’s a rather bold statement. Have you backed him?

Nope. I've nothing backed in RSA.

Like Percy but as Russell himself has said "he's a bit in and out". No Gr1 evidence over fences and Galmoy hurdle fell apart.

Monalee looks solid as a rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

TheTorment wrote: »
    jimjamcos wrote: »
    He'll break Percy.

Im not so sure....and I think Davy's decision not to ride Monalee today is telling. Henry deB wanted commitment from a jockey for the Cheltenham ride...My thinking is that if Davy thought Monalee would beat Percy in the RSA he would have commited himself to the ride and been onboard today. He wasnt and Noel Fehily stood in.
    My line of thinking is that Davy is thinking Percy has the beating of Monalee.

My line of thinking is that he has an arrangement with Phillip Reynolds and he's honouring that. So yeah he's strong side to allow a hockey to get on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

People have such short memories :) percys last time out over fences was a procession. Won on the bridle laughing at them.
    Monalee a fine animal, Percy will beat it.

Samcro Percy the Wednesday banker double

Oh oh........ from times on line

agreeing to our cookies policy.

ACCEPT AND CLOSE
    Accessibility LinksSkip to content
    monday february 5 2018
    Read the full article
    Just register a few details
    Get access
    RACING
    Investigation begins into festival bets
    Johnny Ward
    February 5 2018, 12:01am, The Times

Bets which were placed on races at Leopardstown are being investigated
    WOLFGANG DEUTER/GETTY IMAGES
    Irish racing’s integrity body is investigating the source of bets placed on at least two high-profile horses to lose — both of which were beaten at Leopardstown on Saturday.

Day one of the Dublin Racing Festival was hailed as a great success, but there were some notable disappointments on the track, off-colour runs which seemed to be no surprise to some betters on Betfair.

Yorkhill, who had traded at odds-on, embarked on a colossal drift out to around 5-2 at one stage ahead of a Grade Two chase in which he finished but tailed off. Stablemate Min, the well-backed favourite, won the race.

Later on, while Faugheen came up short in the Grade One feature hurdle, the remarkable market weakness of stablemate Melon, initially a…

Want to read more? Subscribe

Oh oh........ from times on line

Irish racing’s integrity body is investigating the source of bets placed on at least two high-profile horses to lose — both of which were beaten at Leopardstown on Saturday.

Day one of the Dublin Racing Festival was hailed as a great success, but there were some notable disappointments on the track, off-colour runs which seemed to be no surprise to some betters on Betfair.

Yorkhill, who had traded at odds-on, embarked on a colossal drift out to around 5-2 at one stage ahead of a Grade Two chase in which he finished but tailed off. Stablemate Min, the well-backed favourite, won the race.

Later on, while Faugheen came up short in the Grade One feature hurdle, the remarkable market weakness of stablemate Melon, initially a…

I don't get it.

Faugheen was beaten before Christmas as well as on Saturday. Horses are not machines. Supasundae's form was clearly in the book. Apples Jade only nailed him on the line over 3 miles at the track. Hence the quite obvious e/w gamble from 25s into 8s.

Yorkhill! A blind man could see that he has went downhill since the JLT last year. He was by no means a certainty.

There must have been a queue of people willing to lay on form alone.

Monalee ahead of Presenting Percy clearly on ratings!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

How is Monalee clearly ahead of Presenting Percy on ratings?

As for the markets on Betfair over the weekend, there's no harm in these investigations at all, though there'll likely be anything found.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

The full article!

Later on, while Faugheen came up short in the Grade One feature hurdle, the remarkable market weakness of stablemate Melon, initially a well-backed second-favourite who practically doubled in price near the off, preceded a distinctly laboured run from the horse.

Denis Egan, CEO of the Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board, told The Times: “If there are irregular lay bets, we look at it. There are two horses I am aware of, I don’t know if there are others. Betfair will give us all the information on the lays, what accounts laid them and for how much; whether or not they are part of the normal laying pattern of the layer’s accounts; and generally whatever information we want.

“If necessary we will invoke the ‘memorandum of understanding’ with Betfair and get personal details of the layer(s) — if it gets that far.”

Betfair signed its first “memorandum of understanding” with the British Jockey Club in 2003. It meant that for the first time a betting organisation would share with a sports regulator personal details of customers whose betting activity might be a threat to the integrity of the sport. Irish racing since followed suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

The Mig wrote: »
    The full article!

Later on, while Faugheen came up short in the Grade One feature hurdle, the remarkable market weakness of stablemate Melon, initially a well-backed second-favourite who practically doubled in price near the off, preceded a distinctly laboured run from the horse.

Denis Egan, CEO of the Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board, told The Times: “If there are irregular lay bets, we look at it. There are two horses I am aware of, I don’t know if there are others. Betfair will give us all the information on the lays, what accounts laid them and for how much; whether or not they are part of the normal laying pattern of the layer’s accounts; and generally whatever information we want.

“If necessary we will invoke the ‘memorandum of understanding’ with Betfair and get personal details of the layer(s) — if it gets that far.”

Betfair signed its first “memorandum of understanding” with the British Jockey Club in 2003. It meant that for the first time a betting organisation would share with a sports regulator personal details of customers whose betting activity might be a threat to the integrity of the sport. Irish racing since followed suit.

Egan must have being balls deep on faugheen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

An exchange works by people betting on horses to win and others betting on horses to lose.
    An exchange would have zero volume if people were not laying horses.

Headlines that say people were betting on horses to lose is like saying there will be daylight tomorrow - the bleedin' obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dk6dk6

STB. wrote: »
    I don't get it.

Faugheen was beaten before Christmas as well as on Saturday. Horses are not machines. Supasundae's form was clearly in the book. Apples Jade only nailed him on the line over 3 miles at the track. Hence the quite obvious e/w gamble from 25s into 8s.

Yorkhill! A blind man could see that he has went downhill since the JLT last year. He was by no means a certainty.

There must have been a queue of people willing to lay on form alone.

Monalee ahead of Presenting Percy clearly on ratings!

They weren't talking about Faugheen, they where talking about Melon.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

dk6dk6 wrote: »
    They weren't talking about Faugheen, they where talking about Melon.

That crucial piece of info seems to have gone over everybodys head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Carter McKay was completely dead too. As was Contingency in the first yesterday

Both ran ok however

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

You couldn't be up to these gangsters. You'd have to think he goes for the Supreme Novices this year, and if he wins that then the Champion Hurdle next year.

He will be sent chasing next year, no question. And I think they will more than likely go the Balymore route this year as opposed to the Supreme.

danganabu wrote: »
    He will be sent chasing next year, no question. And I think they will more than likely go the Balymore route this year as opposed to the Supreme.

I'll be shocked if Samcro doesn't go Ballymore. There's no way Samcro and Getabird will clash at Cheltenham imo and both are nailed on for their different races for me.

Be interesting to see what Willie does with Melon and Yorkhill now, be a total waste of time sending Melon to the the CH, probably be best keep him fresh for a crack at either Aintree or punchestown. And I just can't see which race Yorkhill should go for now. Possibly the Ryanair for him?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭WickIow Brave

Be interesting to see what Willie does with Melon and Yorkhill now, be a total waste of time sending Melon to the the CH, probably be best keep him fresh for a crack at either Aintree or punchestown. And I just can't see which race Yorkhill should go for now. Possibly the Ryanair for him?

Jesus my wallet hopes Melon runs in the Champion Hurdle. I can't believe that was his true running. He was a completely different horse to the one that ran at Cheltenham. And the drift on him was something else. His price nearly doubled in a minute.

As for Yorkhill the drift on him stinks aswell. I think if they can get Yorkhill anyway right, he'll run in the Ryanair and he'll win. Otherwise I'd struggle to see him win another race again in his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭slimshady007

I originally thought the world hurdle a la Nichols Canyon but don't see him priced so may not be entered in it. Ryanair would look the likeliest of the ones he's priced up for imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Mr321

Can't see Yorkhill going to Cheltenham.
    Could put him away for the season and back hurdling next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭handsfree2

Jesus my wallet hopes Melon runs in the Champion Hurdle. I can't believe that was his true running. He was a completely different horse to the one that ran at Cheltenham. And the drift on him was something else. His price nearly doubled in a minute.

As for Yorkhill the drift on him stinks aswell. I think if they can get Yorkhill anyway right, he'll run in the Ryanair and he'll win. Otherwise I'd struggle to see him win another race again in his life.

Agree with you on melon but I'd be shocked if he was sent to Cheltenham after that.

Yorkhill is a Cheltenham horse and I think he'll go regardless. He performed very well last year after a couple of stinkers in Ireland, albeit not as bad as last weekend.

handsfree2 wrote: »
    Agree with you on melon but I'd be shocked if he was sent to Cheltenham after that.

Yorkhill is a Cheltenham horse and I think he'll go regardless. He performed very well last year after a couple of stinkers in Ireland, albeit not as bad as last weekend.

Yeah I think he'll go in the Ryanair. I can genuinely see him gagging up again like last year and in the Neptune and Ruby again like : 'I've always maintained he's a Gold Cup horse. That wasn't the real Yorkhill in the Lexus. He's a chestnut Presenting, he's like Denman, he's just quirky.' Basically verbatim what he said after the JLT. And he'll go 6/1 for 2019 GC and people be going mad for him again including me. Haha

In all seriousness though I fancied Melon and Yorkhill for the Champion Hurdle and Gold Cup at the start of the season. And now they're getting beat by f-ing Mick Jazz and Ballycasey while the lads in the yard are laying the bollocks out of them. Ffs. Hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Yeah I think he'll go in the Ryanair. I can genuinely see him gagging up again like last year and in the Neptune and Ruby again like : 'I've always maintained he's a Gold Cup horse. That wasn't the real Yorkhill in the Lexus. He's a chestnut Presenting, he's like Denman, he's just quirky.' Basically verbatim what he said after the JLT. And he'll go 6/1 for 2019 GC and people be going mad for him again including me. Haha

In all seriousness though I fancied Melon and Yorkhill for the Champion Hurdle and Gold Cup at the start of the season. And now they're getting beat by f-ing Mick Jazz and Ballycasey while the lads in the yard are laying the bollocks out of them. Ffs. Hahaha

Mick Jazz is going to keep progressing now they've given up on the handicap mark, if he gets a strong pace to aim at in March i'll be surprised if he's out of the front 3. Race didn't suit him at all at the weekend and still beat some others that people would be giving a squeak in the big 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

I was dead against a 10 year old in Faugheen winning a CH after his layoff and even now after seeing him a good few lbs below old form. But like Sprinter Sacre i’m willing to let my heart rule my head and have a little bet at 7/1 for it just in the hope he turns up on the day and shocks us all, UDS was the banker two years back with Sacre not so fancied having scrambled home against Sire De Grugy at Xmas.

As Faugheen was Sacre type in terms of talent at his own peak he is well worth a bet at 7/1 i feel. Ok heart might rule my head but if he wins then it would bring the house down like 2 years ago with the black aeroplane.

On wat are u basing yorkhill beating UDS in the Ryanair??

Mick Jazz is going to keep progressing now they've given up on the handicap mark, if he gets a strong pace to aim at in March i'll be surprised if he's out of the front 3. Race didn't suit him at all at the weekend and still beat some others that people would be giving a squeak in the big 1.

Oh no I'd agree with ya with Mick Jazz. Just picked a random name is all, thought it'd be harsh on a former Champion Hurdler Jezki!

• Advertisement

On wat are u basing yorkhill beating UDS in the Ryanair??

Cannot for the life of me see UDS win at Cheltenham. Barely stayed last year against Sub Lieutenant and Aso. Will need it hock deep to have a semblance of a chance. Even without Yorkhill, I'd expect Top Notch, Waiting Patiently, Fox Norton, Disko, Coney Island all to beat him.

Advertisement