Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV 2018 sales down?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

This post has been deleted.

All diesels could be worthless in 5 years

From the little I know, Toyota buys their diesel engines from BMW, well they did at one stage, so I am not sure why it would be worth anything less than any other diesel after 5 years? Its not like you wont get parts or cant get Toyota to service it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Shefwedfan wrote: »

They could, but they will not be. The government will not introduce any drastic measures (like bans for diesels in cities) for vehicles that are already on the roads. There are far too many of them around.

They will actively discourage people from getting more diesels, either by buying new or importing. That will mean that second hand well maintained diesels will actually be sought after in the second market, as the supply of new one will be very limited.
    From the little I know, Toyota buys their diesel engines from BMW, well they did at one stage, so I am not sure why it would be worth anything less than any other diesel after 5 years? Its not like you wont get parts or cant get Toyota to service it

They buy the 2.0 N47 engines. The 2.8 in Land-Crusiers is 1GD-FTV and is build by Toyota.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Casati

It could be the opposite, diesels may well be sought after, with less of them will be available on the market so used prices could be stronger, Brexit might mean it’s not economical to import from the U.K too.

The one thing you can be sure of is whatever new car you buy today it’s going to be worth a lot less in a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 64,864 ✭✭✭✭unkel

grogi wrote: »
    The government will not introduce any drastic measures (like bans for diesels in cities) for vehicles that are already on the roads.

What makes you feel so confident they won't? Germany, the Netherlands, France and the UK have just done that. Ireland should follow shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

unkel wrote: »
    What makes you feel so confident they won't? Germany, the Netherlands, France and the UK have just done that. Ireland should follow shortly.

Because government here does not have balls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,864 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Dunno about that. Leo can just point at all these other countries doing it and say we just have to do it too, as diesels in cities cause cancer. Don't need balls for that.

You need balls to just force something like a nationwide smoking ban as the first country in the world to do so (for similar reasons). Oh wait, that was Ireland too :)

Advertisement