Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison officer recruitment 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭po candidate

S00100668 wrote: »
    Hi all, many people still waiting for clearance its frustrating to get the position then left in limbo ... hope all 2016 campaign people sorted by now... is it likely we have to wait 2 or 3 years?? think I'm 7 months waiting so far .. also seen someone say what's the rent allowance for the job ?? why would the job give you rent allownace ?

I'm still waiting too..Interview was in June. Have everything else done since October! Emailed in November but was told it wasn't back yet! Haven't bothered contacting IPS again since as I assume they'll contact me when it's back.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Paddy 42 wrote:
    For training In wheat field there is no accommodation available. Any candidates from outside Dublin or anyone else have any ideas what to do regarding accommodation for this phase of the training?

You'll be working in Dublin for the next decade. I would approach the problem with that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 S00100668

farrelly90 wrote: »
    Oh jaysus I’m gna be waiting some length of time so I’d say.

not necessarily one guy got his clearance back the day of the fitness test completion a few people did so you may not be...

Cork20189 wrote: »
    Hi all.
    Look for small bit of advice please. I have the PCT next month and would have always considered myself reasonably fit. I’ve done the 600 metre shuttles a few times and am struggling with the time of 3 mins 30 secs.
    Just to be sure is it all 15 metres A to B. Or is the A to B to C and so on. Any help appreciated thanks

I'm not gonna say not to push yourself but keep training even if your lungs feel horrible... tbh my practice runs were awful and I'm quite fit ... barely making time etc but on the day itself I was so pumped up to get it right you 'll find some1 to keep pace with and you 'll keep up with them and you 'll do great ... only 1 person failed the day I was there.... best of luck try not to stress and just keep practicing ul do good ...

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭farrelly90

Cork20189 wrote: »
    Hi all.
    Look for small bit of advice please. I have the PCT next month and would have always considered myself reasonably fit. I’ve done the 600 metre shuttles a few times and am struggling with the time of 3 mins 30 secs.
    Just to be sure is it all 15 metres A to B. Or is the A to B to C and so on. Any help appreciated thanks

I have the physical next month also. I’m breaking the training up. I started with 10X15 then 20X15 and so on and the last practice I done Thursday I done it in 2:58 so it’s very doable because I haven’t ran properly in about a year.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Abbey127

Hi when do you get the clearance form to fill out ? Does it slow you down if you had any family members living abroad years ago ? Or just if you have any family members living abroad at moment. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 27 DG74

Just passed interview Order of merit early 20s anyone now how long it is before fitness test and medical? Do they give you much notice?

anyone ever work in this thread ever work in Oberstown Dentention centre?? obviously a completely separate topic of discussion as it's not related to prison service 2018 campaign etc I have secured employment there through graduating from my degree in social care and I'm waiting for my clearance as previously stated above for prison officer position but while I work in Oberstown in the meantime .. would anyone know the typical hours work as a residential social care worker?? I imagine there is a range of shifts... regarding start and finishing times

DG74 wrote: »
    Just passed interview Order of merit early 20s anyone now how long it is before fitness test and medical? Do they give you much notice?

they email you the details you 'll fill out a medical form online... then you get a medical done at a local doctor to you on their list they send you.. they cover the cost of the doctor, you 'll also have to get a hearing test done locally to yourself as well check there list of registered places to go to they 'll email you all the info .. then you 'll get called for fitness testing once all that's done... you must pay to get your hearing test done yourself

Hi when do you get the clearance form to fill out ? Does it slow you down if you had any family members living abroad years ago ? Or just if you have any family members living abroad at moment. Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Cork20189

farrelly90 wrote: »
    I have the physical next month also. I’m breaking the training up. I started with 10X15 then 20X15 and so on and the last practice I done Thursday I done it in 2:58 so it’s very doable because I haven’t ran properly in about a year.

Thanks a mill. I won’t panic yet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cork20189

I'm not gonna say not to push yourself but keep training even if your lungs feel horrible... tbh my practice runs were awful and I'm quite fit ... barely making time etc but on the day itself I was so pumped up to get it right you 'll find some1 to keep pace with and you 'll keep up with them and you 'll do great ... only 1 person failed the day I was there.... best of luck try not to stress and just keep practicing ul do good ...

Thanks for the response.. I’ll keep training away. Won’t panic yet !!

Hi do you have to print out the clearance form and fill it out by hand or fill it out online then print it out ? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Stephenwrx

rang once, emailed twice usual answer out of our control etc ... 2 in Wales but one deceased and one alive so assume they'd only check the 1 in Wales that's not deceased so maybe that's holding up the show although one guys clearance came back and all his family in Australia so was surprised at that I have all stages done .. and passed some 2016 candidates waited 2 years for clearance I believe...

I seem to be in the same boat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Fabio_1988

Abbey127 wrote: »
    Hi do you have to print out the clearance form and fill it out by hand or fill it out online then print it out ? Thanks in advance

I did it by hand and there were no issues with it. Depends how clear your writing is. I’ve heard of people being handed the form back and told to print it. Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Luckymummy

Abbey127 wrote: »

Public jobs recommend its printed but if your handwriting is clear there’s no problem writing by hand

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Hearns2017

Hey guys just wondering how long were ye waiting to get offers? I just done my interview and found out last week I passed. OOM in top ten But iv a holiday booked for the beginning of June so I'm hoping that won't affect it or hold me back ??

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Stephenwrx

Hearns2017 wrote: »
    Hey guys just wondering how long were ye waiting to get offers? I just done my interview and found out last week I passed. OOM in top ten But iv a holiday booked for the beginning of June so I'm hoping that won't affect it or hold me back ??

Honestly I wouldn’t worry about it I’d say you’ll be fine... could be 2 months before your told about your medical and you’ll have about 4 weeks to get the stuff back for that then about a month aftrr that for the physical ... aftaer that the wait for your clearance to come back which can take quite a while.... and if the timing worked out for the worse and it clashed you could always defer to the next class intake... it’s a very slow process just be patient

• Registered Users Posts: 21 StefanSage

I have a question for those who are already established prison officers. How is the food in the canteen, quality, selection and price? Also how would you rate the gym facilities in your respective prison?

StefanSage wrote:
    I have a question for those who are already established prison officers. How is the food in the canteen, quality, selection and price? Also how would you rate the gym facilities in your respective prison?

Are you on the Public Accounts Committee buddy?

• Advertisement

wexfjord wrote: »
    Are you on the Public Accounts Committee buddy?

Nope. Genuinely curious about food and what the gyms are like as i didn't see any discussion about either here

StefanSage wrote:
    Nope. Genuinely curious about food and what the gyms are like as i didn't see any discussion about either here

Standards for both Mess and Gym will vary between institutions, none are exceptional but they are generally adequate. A lot of staff bring their own grub, particularly those aiming to eat clean.

wexfjord wrote: »
    Standards for both Mess and Gym will vary between institutions, none are exceptional but they are generally adequate. A lot of staff bring their own grub, particularly those aiming to eat clean.

Good to hear. Thanks for the reply

Has anyone else been in a situation where they are estranged from one side of their family and has left these details blank on the Garda clearance application? I have no way of getting these details and I was told someone from public jobs would phone me back but they haven’t as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bmrhcp

FYI anyone looking to get their medical done in Naas the address is wrong on the info in the email. Found out the hard way this morning :)

Bmrhcp wrote: »
    FYI anyone looking to get their medical done in Naas the address is wrong on the info in the email. Found out the hard way this morning :)

Thanks haven’t done it yet. What is the correct address?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bmrhcp

Luckymummy wrote: »
    Thanks haven’t done it yet. What is the correct address?

They're in the town centre shopping centre 2nd floor not in the millennium park like it says in the email..

• Registered Users Posts: 27 DG74

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mgt10

Anyone going for their pct on Thursday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭farrelly90

mgt10 wrote: »
    Anyone going for their pct on Thursday

Yeah I am. I presume you are too?

Advertisement