Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Snow & Ice Possible Thursday 8th / Friday 9th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I'd imagine there will be an updated MET outlook later this morning or early PM

Perhaps a warning later this afternoon or they might wait until early Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 23,505 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Larbre34 wrote: »
    In line with their current web forecast. Are we able to explain the discrepancy with the numbers being mentioned here?

It's easier to sit on the fence. I'd be pretty confident if the report of their forecast is accurate that it does not tally with the models.

They could be right, unlikely in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

I’ve no idea

In other news we had a few heavy hail showers here near Arklow during the night
    Currently 4 c cloudy and windy
    Dew point 3.5c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Any snow hope at all for east cork this coming week? From my understanding no?

It's easier to sit on the fence. I'd be pretty confident if the report of their forecast is accurate that it does not tally with the models.

They could be right, unlikely in this case.

That is what was broadcast,it was a man with a country accent,I didnt catch his name
    Rain and sleet with snow in the midlands and north
    Small depositions was the wording used
    Rain later in the week

No mention at all of snow in the east

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Just remember that we don't really get the very cold airmass from the east over us. It barely makes it to east briefly. We're more relying on normal radiative cooling through Monday evening to form that cold surface layer in the midlands and east. It's finely balanced, slightly I'm favour of snow at the moment, but there is only a degree or so in it. Usual disclaimer applies. The value of your snow chances may fall as well as rise.

I’ve no idea

In other news we had a few heavy hail showers here near Arklow during the night
    Currently 4 c cloudy and windy
    Dew point 3.5c

Some heavy showers this morning, fairly wet out there now.

Maybe with the cold air filtering in through the day we may get something wintry tonight. The good ole Irish Sea.

That is what was broadcast,it was a man with a country accent,I didnt catch his name
    Rain later in the week

It was Vincent O'Shea - and I guarantee you the forecast will change to mention the east later ;)

I'd imagine there will be an updated MET outlook later this morning or early PM

Perhaps a warning later this afternoon or they might wait until early Monday

If I was a farmer in roundwood somewhere lambing sheep and found myself in a white out overnight Monday I’d be very mad if I was relying on the 755am Sunday forecast if it was all I had time to listen to
    They could of course be right

Rain later in the week

A deposition is testimony taken outside of court. Really?

Hirlam, their own model, disagrees.

• Advertisement

A deposition is testimony taken outside of court. Really?

Hirlam, their own model, disagrees.

Times like these the exploding haha smiley on messenger would be handy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Any snow hope at all for east cork this coming week? From my understanding no?

There is hope but from past experience a sleety mess more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

How did I miss this thread?
    Beautiful winter morning in Galway, sun shining with a lovely white frost covering everything. Bring on the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

There is hope but from past experience a sleety mess more likely.

Cork city is right on the edge on the models. most show it turning to snow right about at Ballincollig eastwards! Worrying that met e arent on board even for dublin yet. They must have their doubts despite the models.

put it this way, if cork city boardsies report snow at 10pm tomorrow night then everyone east and north of us in the country can have a party....

specific to midman, east cork has a better chance than cork city but better if you are not on the coast (eg Youghal not ideal but east of Fermoy sorted....)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Why should the east cork coast be a problem when the wind is not onshore? Answer it won't be!
    Of course height is always better

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

I can honestly say this is the first time I’m dreading snow. We’ve an inspection in school so I want to be in early Tuesday and it looks like the commute in north Kildare with be absolutely pants. Why can’t this front be 48hrs later so I could enjoy it? 😡

I’d say locally 5-7cm in Kildare and West Wicklow

ICON 6z, it's midlands onward...

iconeu_uk1-1-39-0.png?04-10

The noose tightens just in time

iconeu_uk1-16-39-0.png?04-10

ICON 6z, it's midlands onward...

iconeu_uk1-1-39-0.png?04-10

The noose tightens just in time

iconeu_uk1-16-39-0.png?04-10

Thank god it’s just the ICON ;)

Some splodgy bits in the light rain showers here near Arklow
    Probably soft hail

https://twitter.com/arklowweather/status/960086785526304768

Today is evidence by the way that you can have moderate showers in off the Irish Sea in high pressure
    Currently in the east it’s circa 1029 to 1030 Mb

• Advertisement

Decent hail shower here in Wexford now

Hirlam 6z, 27 hrs, 850 hpa temps

hirlamuk-16-27-0.png?04-10

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

whats the prediction for dublin mountains?

Thanx lads

Yea we could get some snizzle showers overnight near east coasts and tomorrow...

Meanwhile the latest HIRLAM showing snow more extensive across country tomorrow night....

hirlamuk-1-40-0.png?04-11

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

The Met Eireann forecast from this morning can just be binned with regards Monday night into Tuesday. All the models are showing a snow event for at least the Eastern half of the country. Met Eireann will issue warnings later today I feel. In Waterford City I see maybe 5cm it not more.

www.waterfordweather.com

Perks up nice before it clears...

2-3cm widely, locally upto 5cm and probably a little higher over Wicklow mtns

hirlamuk-1-46-0.png?04-11

catrat12 wrote: »
    whats the prediction for dublin mountains?

Thanx lads

4-7cm of lying snow by Tuesday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

Now we've got rid of the westerly much we get a cold bright week to look forward to with some night time snow and a few showers in the West during day time. Great walking weather

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

Instinct and past experience tells me that the front may fizzle a bit as it reaches dublin, the models are not showing it weakening, hope I'm wrong.

• Advertisement

Heading for 3mm now from this mornings Irish Sea showers near Arklow in 1030 mb pressure
    That’s 3 times more than the front the other night and the equivalent of maybe an inch and a half of snow if it had been cold enough

Advertisement