Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google maps confusing my address with someone elses

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Alun wrote: »
    If you look up the address, yes, but on the map the eircode finder website uses, supplied by OSi, it's called Ranalagh Road all the way along. That's what I was going on.

Well, if you go to 65 Ranelagh Road, you'll be waiting a long time for your Chicken Wings, as it has been a building site for ages.

From the Luas Bridge to Sandford Road all the council identifier call it 'Ranelagh' not 'Ranelagh Road'

It's a route I walk regularly, but don't tend to look at maps for.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,289 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Alun wrote: »
    If you look up the address, yes, but on the map the eircode finder website uses, supplied by OSi, it's called Ranalagh Road all the way along. That's what I was going on.
    And the map is wrong.

OpenStreetMap is usually more accurate for road names/numbers than any official source in Ireland (and the UK), with the exception of N/R roads which are statutorily defined here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭TheChizler

L1011 wrote: »
    And the map is wrong.

OpenStreetMap is usually more accurate for road names/numbers than any official source in Ireland (and the UK), with the exception of N/R roads which are statutorily defined here.
    That's cause it's made by people with local knowledge, but the problem is local knowledge depends on the person and doesn't always match the official version.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭matc66

Here's an example of how google maps gets it wrong. Most of this estate off the Howth Road is listed using the address No. XX Howth Road, when infact it should be No. XX Ashbrook, Howth Road. There are equivalent numbered houses on the Howth Road for each one, which must cause considerable confusion.
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.36854,-6.2134299,18.75z

Advertisement