Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google maps confusing my address with someone elses

Options
  • 01-02-2018 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭

About a month ago I started getting visits from nurses asking to speak to "Rita", then a visit from the gardai about a Phonewatch alarm going off. Then today someone arrived with ready made meals.

All were looking for a property that when they search on Google maps brings them to my house!

I've tried editing the address on Google maps but it hasn't worked obviously. What's the best way to contact them?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,158 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It takes them quite a while to get round to the suggested edits, but they do eventually get to them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,021 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Best of luck, I been on to google multiple times over the years to update an incorrect name and it's still wrong. They did change it a couple of times but not to the right name.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Gaspode wrote: »
    Best of luck, I been on to google multiple times over the years to update an incorrect name and it's still wrong. They did change it a couple of times but not to the right name.

Do you have an email for them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,021 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I dont, I did it all through the maps app.

Gaspode wrote: »
    I dont, I did it all through the maps app.

To make sure I'm doing it right...

- I search for my address

- I right-click the red tear drop on the map and select "Report a data problem"

then what? No form appears or anything

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,158 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You should get an editable map.
    Are you logged into a Google account when you are doing it?

spurious wrote: »
    You should get an editable map.
    Are you logged into a Google account when you are doing it?

Yep .. any chance you could upload a pic of what you are seeing pls?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,437 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If I do it on a PC in a web browser, I get a pop up top left that allows me to a) move the position and/or b) change the address. Never tried it in the app.

Alun wrote: »
    If I do it on a PC in a web browser, I get a pop up top left that allows me to a) move the position and/or b) change the address. Never tried it in the app.

Not working on Chrome.. I'll try Firefox

(I'm on a PC)

picture.php?albumid=2386&pictureid=15460

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Excellent working on Firefox and not Chrome... bizarre

Thanks for the pic, hopefully now the hot nurses will stop coming to my house...

oh wait..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,437 ✭✭✭✭Alun

mrcheez wrote: »
    Not working on Chrome.. I'll try Firefox

(I'm on a PC)
    I'm using FF too but I get exactly the same window if I use Chrome, so that's not the problem.

If I'm not signed in to Google though I get a smaller pop up telling me I have to sign in to report a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭1874

i know when i used it in the car on my phone recently that it was way off in terms of directions by not offerring the best route, and the time to destination was way off. Before phones and Google maps had reached a certain point of accuracy and reliablity I rarely used that kind of thing, instead I used a purpose built car GPS device, now gladly I've kept it in the car and have used and charged it occasionally as Google maps has taken a turn for the worse, good not to rely on it or any one thing, I still keep a few OS maps available.

What I had to do was drag a new pointer in order to register the update. I positioned the new pointer over the existing pointer.

It wouldn't accept me just editing the address of the existing pointer, said I had to "drag pointer to the new location"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If the nurses/guards/meals were hot frankly I'd not complain.

So this is still happening. I'm still getting people arriving to my door as Google Maps is directing them here despite the actual property being 1km away.

Is there a direct way to contact Google? Editing the map hasn't helped despite me doing it 2 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

mrcheez wrote: »
    So this is still happening. I'm still getting people arriving to my door as Google Maps is directing them here despite the actual property being 1km away.

Is there a direct way to contact Google? Editing the map hasn't helped despite me doing it 2 months ago.

Did you get the email confirming the change?

Update:

Got an email from noreply-maps-issues@google.com
    "Success
    Based on your suggestion, the listing for ____________ has been added to the map"

Nope no mail, how long typically does it take?

The last one I sent took 6 weeks.

• Advertisement

Second time the Gardai have arrived at my place now "because a panic alarm went off"

Got me out of bed.

Just my luck for google to mix up my address with some sickly panicked nutjob :(

It's now 8th November and I've had a delivery for an oil change at my address.

I don't even have an oil tank.

The delivery guy has tried to deliver the oil 3 times now.

How the hell do I get Google to update the map, as doing it via Maps doesn't work?!!?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Are there house numbers on your road or are you in the country? Just trying to understand how they could confuse “21, Jump St” with “1, Sesame St”.
    I can’t help with Google maps, but could you put a house number or something that would keep the free stuff and sexy nurses from turning up at your door?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭daheff

how far away from you is the correct address? are we talking a couple of doors or miles away ?

do you have your door number up & visible?

Oink wrote: »
    Are there house numbers on your road or are you in the country? Just trying to understand how they could confuse “21, Jump St” with “1, Sesame St”.
    I can’t help with Google maps, but could you put a house number or something that would keep the free stuff and sexy nurses from turning up at your door?

It's more like my address is

21 Jump St, Cool Areaville, Dublin

but the other house address is

21 Cool Areaville, Dublin

I can see how it's confusing on the system, but why the hell can I not manually say... "no this house is NOT 21 Cool Areaville, Dublin" ??
    daheff wrote: »
    how far away from you is the correct address? are we talking a couple of doors or miles away ?

do you have your door number up & visible?

yeah..both houses have number up on door... that's not the issue. Issue is with Google.

Other address is about 3 miles away. They're old folks so aren't likely to contact Google about it and probably aren't even aware of the issue, instead wondering why all the delivery men are confused.

If it comes to it I may just have to go over to the house and tell them "always instruct delivery men on how to get to your property instead of relying on Google Maps".

The problem is that different delivery men/nurses come, so they likely won't have any idea about the specific requirements of getting to the address.

I'm just going to have to get a permanent plaque made as my written notes keep getting washed away in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭daheff

have you checked that the Eircode is displaying the right address too?

If Eircode is wrong it might be harder to get Google to correct it. If its right, suggest you give this link to google too.

I understand its annoying (i keep getting other peoples emails to my gmail), but other than leave a sign inside your door saying your house is XYZ, not ABC XYZ you will need to wait until Google get their side sorted. And even then, theres a good chance delivery people will still get the address wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Might be overkill but have you considered reporting it to the Data Protection Commissioner?

They do have a responsibility to keep personal data accurate. There's an argument that an address on a map is not personal data - might be worth a try though?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Put the eircode in for each property and check they go to the right building/house, many drivers now just put the eircode in

There's no Eircode on the addresses.

I'll just get a laminated sign put up... not exactly a sightly thing to have on your front door, but it has to be LARGE and CLEAR otherwise it will be missed, so there's no way around it other than create a huge permanent sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Advertisement