Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google maps confusing my address with someone elses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I thought every address has an eircode?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 13,669 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

There's no Eircode on the address used by the oil delivery men... the police and doctors/nurses that arrive at regular intervals also just type "21 Cool Areaville" into their phones when finding the address.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

mrcheez wrote: »
    There's no Eircode on the addresses.

I'll just get a laminated sign put up... not exactly a sightly thing to have on your front door, but it has to be LARGE and CLEAR otherwise it will be missed, so there's no way around it other than create a huge permanent sign.

https://www.eircode.ie/getting-an-eircode

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There's no Eircode on the address used by the oil delivery men... the police and doctors/nurses that arrive at regular intervals also just type "21 Cool Areaville" into their phones when finding the address.
    I'm a bit confused. Is "Cool Areaville" a street name or something else such as a townland? If it's the latter, how can an address with just that prefaced by a number make any logical sense? Is there a street name missing from it? So what should the actual correct official address of this other house be?

One good place to check is on the eircode finder website. If you can find your house on the map they use either by entering the eircode or the address, then locate the other house and centre the target over it, it will tell you what they think is the official address.

Alun wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused. Is "Cool Areaville" a street name or something else such as a townland? If it's the latter, how can an address with just that prefaced by a number make any logical sense? Is there a street name missing from it? So what should the actual correct official address of this other house be?

One good place to check is on the eircode finder website. If you can find your house on the map they use either by entering the eircode or the address, then locate the other house and centre the target over it, it will tell you what they think is the official address.

Well I can add the other addresses' eircode to the sign I create.

Something like "This isn't 21 Cool Areaville, but 21 Jump Street, Cool Areaville. To find 21 Cool Areaville search for eircode XYZ 123"

It's clear the people visiting my property are not searching by eircode.

• Advertisement

To be clear when I say "There's no eircode on the address" I mean that the printed slip that the oil delivery men use doesn't have the eircode on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Obviously you aren't going to post your address here but it might help if you got a few other people to suggest edits. Also maybe check in OpenStreetMap and see what they think. No idea but it's possible Google take data from there and incorporate it into their data set. If the address the old folks are using is invalid you might just be best to drop over and let them know.

It's clear the people visiting my property are not searching by eircode.
    That wasn't what I was suggesting.

I'm just confused as to how someone's address can be 21 followed by something that isn't actually a street name, so was suggesting using the eircode website, not to look up their eircode, but to see what the officially sanctioned address really is for the other property, and yours for that matter. Sometimes it can differ from what you think it is, especially in rural areas.

It's a townland that is also the name of a street.

Ireland eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,273 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Google failing to handle there being a street just called Ranelagh or Phibsborough I'd guess.

• Advertisement

I don't see the purpose of looking up the sanctioned address as I'll still need to communicate the sanctioned address through signage.

There are 2 options:

- Google fix the address pointer

OR

- I put up a sign

Funnily enough ... 20 Jump Street and 22 Jump Street are perfectly fine and correct, so it seems to be a glitch.

Google Maps also does on the fly lookups of addresses as you type them in, so even typing in an a completely invalid address can sometimes bring up a whole raft of suggestions, none of which correspond to what you were looking for. It's possible your address pops up at the head of that list when they do this, even though that isn't the actual address of the other house.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭rizdub

I don't see the purpose of looking up the sanctioned address as I'll still need to communicate the sanctioned address through signage.

There are 2 options:

- Google fix the address pointer

OR

- I put up a sign

Funnily enough ... 20 Jump Street and 22 Jump Street are perfectly fine and correct, so it seems to be a glitch.

yes, just put up a sign outside highlighting your address and directions to other place.

Feckin ridiculous but I guess I'll have to

Now to the wording is this too complicated?

"This isn't 21 Cool Areaville, but 21 Jump Street, Cool Areaville. To find 21 Cool Areaville search for eircode XYZ 123"

a lot of the delivery people are foreign and may not have best English.

At least a fair few took a bit of explaining when I occasionally met them face to face

• Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭TheChizler

In theory yes, every official address. Problems happen when official addresses differ from commonly used addresses. OP can you find both the properties on the map here, and compare the addresses for them? These are addresses as determined by An Post.

https://finder.eircode.ie/#/map

TheChizler wrote: »
    In theory yes, every official address. Problems happen when official addresses differ from commonly used addresses. OP can you find both the properties on the map here, and compare the addresses for them? These are addresses as determined by An Post.

https://finder.eircode.ie/#/map

Just tested there.

I searched for: "21 Jump Street, Cool Areaville"
    and my property came up

then searched for: "21 Cool Areaville"
    and their property came up

Doing the latter on Google brings you to my address.

I'm not clear what the point of this is though :(

OK get this....

On Google Maps I typed in: "21 Cool Areaville" ... brings you to my property.

Then typed: "21 Jump Street, Cool Areaville" ... pointer doesn't move as it's correctly on my property

Then re-typed: "21 Cool Areaville" ... brings you to THEIR property

Holy f*ckballs

Closing browser and re-starting process... "21 Cool Areaville" is back to my pad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭daheff

Now to the wording is this too complicated?

"This isn't 21 Cool Areaville, but 21 Jump Street, Cool Areaville. To find 21 Cool Areaville search for eircode XYZ 123"

a lot of the delivery people are foreign and may not have best English.

At least a fair few took a bit of explaining when I occasionally met them face to face

maybe put "Mr X& Y dont live here" on it too.

Delivery drivers can be difficult in caring whether they have the address right or wrong...as long as they get to the right person they dont really care.

daheff wrote: »
    maybe put "Mr X& Y dont live here" on it too.

Delivery drivers can be difficult in caring whether they have the address right or wrong...as long as they get to the right person they dont really care.

It might be a rental. They used to be addressed to a lady, but the oil deliveries were to a guy with a different surname.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

It's more like my address is

21 Jump St, Cool Areaville, Dublin

but the other house address is

21 Cool Areaville, Dublin

would there be such a address as 21 Cool Areaville, it doesn't sound like a street address? I know you are trying to not reveal your address but...?

would there be such a address as 21 Cool Areaville, it doesn't sound like a street address? I know you are trying to not reveal your address but...?

There are streets in Dublin called Ranelagh and Phibsborough. There may be others but I know far too many street names as it stands and haven't heard of one.

Any single name street can cause badly designed software to have trouble; when the street name is also the area name you have two problems.

I know my address :)

You'll have to take my word for it, such things exist

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I know my address :)

You'll have to take my word for it, such things exist
    you said your address is like "

21 Jump St, Cool Areaville, Dublin"

as opposed too "21 Cool Areaville, Dublin"

anyway wouldn't the address be "21 Areaville, Areaville, Dublin" ?

I see something like Tribeca lists its address as 65 Ranelagh Dublin 6 https://www.google.ie/search?cr=countryIE&hl=en&tbs=ctr%3AcountryIE&ei=5IvnW6XrI4mBgAbK-LzwDg&q=tribeca+65&oq=tribeca+65&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i22i30k1j38.31980.32410.0.32677.3.3.0.0.0.0.68.194.3.3.0....0...1..64.psy-ab..0.3.193...0j0i67k1.0.9Qvr5LUFeG0 although others versions say Ranelagh Village, or even Ranelagh Road

The road that place is on is called Ranelagh Road, that should be their address. Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

The road that place is on is called Ranelagh Road, that should be their address. Crazy stuff.

It's only Ranelagh Rd from the canal to the Luas bridge, then it becomes Ranelagh until it reaches Sanford Rd.

look it up on https://finder.eircode.ie/ it's 65 Ranelagh. As are many of the addresses in Ranelagh.

Even An Post have it as 65 Ranelagh, Dublin 6
    https://correctaddress.anpost.ie/pages/Address.aspx?ref_id=OkPLe1aqSf3F9kV6MRTJUA==&lang=English&EirCode=TRUE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I know you shouldn't have to, but i'd take a stroll down to Google and tell them to get their act together.

It isn't, though - that's the entire point here.

There is no requirement for a street name to be two words, Ranelagh and Ranelagh Road are not the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

L1011 wrote: »
    It isn't, though - that's the entire point here.

There is no requirement for a street name to be two words, Ranelagh and Ranelagh Road are not the same thing.

Exactly, 65 Ranelagh Road and 65 Ranelagh are completly different buildings and about a 7/8 minute walk apart.

• Advertisement

Speedsie wrote: »
    It's only Ranelagh Rd from the canal to the Luas bridge, then it becomes Ranelagh until it reaches Sanford Rd.

look it up on https://finder.eircode.ie/ it's 65 Ranelagh. As are many of the addresses in Ranelagh.
    If you look up the address, yes, but on the map the eircode finder website uses, supplied by OSi, it's called Ranalagh Road all the way along. That's what I was going on.

Advertisement