Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

b.gud wrote: »
    My 1 year old slept until 11 am this morning 7:20 is early :D

I hate you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

Zzippy wrote: »
    Get. Out!

In fairness she was up during the night with a temperature so it's not all roses. Though she is a good sleeper, I normally get her up at 7:30

• Administrators Posts: 53,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Stheno wrote: »
    I'm an hour in work at that stage!!

Do you work night shift?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

awec wrote: »
    Do you work night shift?

No. I start between 6:30 and 7:00

Without dipping too much into politics, looking at what seems to be about to happen in the UK - I truly hope we take a serious look at media ownership in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Without dipping too much into politics, looking at what seems to be about to happen in the UK - I truly hope we take a serious look at media ownership in this country.

Does he own boards.ie as well? I presume he does seeing as how he owns the Journal and Adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Turkeys, Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

We simply don't have as partisan a media as they do in the UK. However, that doesn't mean we should believe it will always be that way. We must always safeguard against the possibility of the media buying an election. Because that's what has ultimately happened. Corbyn has much to answer wrt his handling of anti-Semitism in Labour. But the Tories have done nothing to rod themselves of their anti-Islam, anti-poor, anti just about everything platform.

Simply can't believe what has happened tonight. It's a travesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Sorry folks, no politics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Whakaariwhite-island-burns-surgeon-with-threemonthold-back-from-maternity-leave-to-help-injured

The Irish surgeon concerned married my classmate. They met when he was doing an elective in Ireland, I think. He ended up staying...for a bit. It's a minor miracle that he convinced an Irish lass to settle and have kids away from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm just glad Ireland does not have First Past the Post as its voting system. It completely skews the seat count.

(Does this count as politics? :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I'm just glad Ireland does not have First Past the Post as its voting system. It completely skews the seat count.

(Does this count as politics? :) )

We'll call it political science, mods can't touch us.

The downside of our system is that it makes an overall majority very hard to achieve (we haven't had one in 40 years I think).

While that is a good thing in some respects, it creates a scenario in which a small party or a number of independents can obtain influence that is completely out of proportion to the votes they received and that's not what democracy is supposed to be about either.

There's no perfect system of democracy, they're all flawed to some extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

While that is a good thing in some respects, it creates a scenario in which a small party or a number of independents can obtain influence that is completely out of proportion to the votes they received and that's not what democracy is supposed to be about either.

The reverse is essentially true in the UK. The governing party can gain power despite a low overall vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The reverse is essentially true in the UK. The governing party can gain power despite a low overall vote.

Which is the greater of two evils for me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

On the plus side, season 4 of The Expanse is out...

Which is the greater of two evils for me.

far, far greater.

Saw an amazing stat earlier. The Tories got about 4x the votes the Lib Dems did, but got over 30x the seats.

Saw an amazing stat earlier. The Tories got about 4x the votes the Lib Dems did, but got over 30x the seats.

When electoral systems are set up to be gamed - political parties will pivot themselves to game them.

Same problems exist in the US with the electoral college and representation across small and large states.

Those interested in power instead of representation can take over the whole show and no one can do anything about it.

When electoral systems are set up to be gamed - political parties will pivot themselves to game them.

Same problems exist in the US with the electoral college and representation across small and large states.

Those interested in power instead of representation can take over the whole show and no one can do anything about it.

And the Senate. California and its 40m people or whatever has the same number of Senators as Wyoming and it's 600k.

• Advertisement

Took a bit of extra time to research my PC build.

Here she is for anyone interested: https://ie.pcpartpicker.com/list/CMPJn7

Little Italy in Belfast is definitely the best pizza in the world outside of Italy itself.

The chilli sauce has my mouth on fire and the sweat beating out of me and that is exactly what chilli is supposed to do.

Down with weak chilli nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Had a great pizza in silicon valley, was a sausage and honey pizza. Unreal stuff.

This spot: https://www.vestarwc.com/new-menu
    Sausage & Honey · tomato sauce, spicy Italian sausage, mascarpone, honey, serrano chili 24.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Had a great pizza in silicon valley, was a sausage and honey pizza. Unreal stuff.

This spot: https://www.vestarwc.com/new-menu

The combination of mascarpone and sausage sounds absolutely stomach - churning, then throw honey in as well? Fnck that.

The combination of mascarpone and sausage sounds absolutely stomach - churning, then throw honey in as well? Fnck that.

It could only ever be appreciated by someone with a more refined and more handsome taste like myself or, I guess, various hipsters in Redwood City

Cheese and sauasage. Fcuk off you freak.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Took a bit of extra time to research my PC build.

Here she is for anyone interested: https://ie.pcpartpicker.com/list/CMPJn7

Sweet divine that's some graphics card!!

Do you really need a split ssd AND a 4tb sata drive??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The pizza in Fratelli la Bufala in London brought my Neapolitan friend to tears of joy.

awec wrote: »
    Cheese and sauasage. Fcuk off you freak.

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611e93caf00c9dc3de4c8ab4d09699a439b75c1a7a6&rid=giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Having been on holidays 7 or 8 times in different parts of Italy it's true to say that their pizzas are something to behold.
    Found a tiny restaurant in the arse end of nowhere in Sicily this year and had a spectacularly good diavola pizza...Herself and the kids had a pizza each and we shared some pasta, 5 soft drinks, 2 coffees, ice cream, 3 bottles of water and a half carafe of wine. The sum for all this......€38!!
    To a miserable git like me this was as close to perfect as a meal out with the family could be!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement