Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenway Map

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭teroknor83

Hi @riddlinrussell

FYI Tralee to Fenit greenway has been opened now with a while if you would like to update the map.

Thanks for creating the map BTW, It is a great resource.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/news/kerry-news-review-2022-november-joy-as-long-awaited-greenway-routes-finally-open-to-public-42250430.html

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭teroknor83

News from Ciaran Cannon on Facebook. 300k funding for Galway county council for Athenry-Milltown greenway. no details on a route, but the feasibility study looks to have been completed

€300,000 for design phase of Athenry to Milltown greenway

I’m delighted to welcome an announcement today by Transport Minister Eamon Ryan of funding for the design phase of the Athenry to Milltown Greenway. Transport Infrastructure Ireland has allocated €300,000 to Galway County Council for the design phase of the greenway, which will connect the two East Galway towns. This is a vital investment in a greenway that will boost the economy of towns and villages along the route., and will enhance the quality of life of local residents.

I’m very grateful to Minister Ryan for his continued support for the Athenry to Milltown Greenway, he shares our ambition to develop a world class public amenity that has the potential to enhance the towns of Athenry, Tuam and Milltown and showcase our region to the world. This investment of €300,000 which was sought by Galway Co. Council will allow for the appointment of consultants to carry out the public engagement and design phase of the greenway and it follows on from a €75,000 investment in the carrying out of a feasibility study.

Galway Co. Council recently submitted the findings of that feasibility study to the Department of Transport and Transport Infrastructure Ireland. It outlines a number of potential routing options to connect Athenry to Milltown. The findings of that study have now been approved by TII and Minister Ryan has acted immediately to allocate €300,000 for the design phase. I will continue to engage with Minister Ryan and his colleagues to stress the urgency of getting this project underway as quickly as possible.

2023 Funding for Greenways

Funding has been allocated in 2023 to the following Greenway projects which are currently under or close to construction:

• Midleton to Youghal Greenway
    • Connemara - Clifden to Recess
    • Grand Canal - Aylmer Bridge to Sallins
    • North Kerry - Tralee to Fenit
    • North Kerry – Listowel to Limerick Border
    • South Kerry – Stages 2 & 3 – Glenbeigh to Cahersiveen
    • Cockleshell Road to the Spa
    • Clew Bay – Achill Sound & Extension to Bannacurry
    • Boyne Valley to Lakelands
    • Grand Canal – Offaly & Dublin 
    • Waterford Greenway
    • Athlone Bridge Cycleway
    • South Eastern Greenway

There's more than this though, will have to wait for the full details to be released, as there's funding for design, consultations, feasibility studies etc not included above

Edit: irish Cycle have the full breakdown

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

From FB, pics available at the link

CASTLETOWN/WILKINSTOWN GREENWAY STARTS NEXT TUESDAY.

It is great to see the machines moving in to clear the vegetation on the 4km stretch between Castletown and Wilkinstown next Tuesday. This is the last stretch of greenway to start on the 30km Boyne Valley to Lakelands County greenway and will join up the Nobber/Castletown and Wilkinstown/Navan stretches of the greenway. The rail tracks will be lifted, drainage, fencing and a new unbound surface will be laid to create this cycle/walking path along the greenway.

Things are really moving at pace and this is another milestone in the construction of our 30km greenway.

NOBBER/KINGSCOURT.

Brilliant progress been made here on all fronts. Cleaning of the line will be completed by Meath CC in the next 3 weeks. The tracks have already been lifted between Nobber and Kilmainhamwood and drainage works have commenced on this section. This section will be finished first but works to be carried out on the bridge over the river Dee will have a baring on when it will be opened to the public. Hopefully this will not delay its opening too long as this section passes by the very scenic Whitewood lake which will be a major attraction along the greenway.

NAVAN/TAILINGPONDS

Works are ongoing here of the greenway by Tara Mines and all going to plan will be completed next month. This stretch will also be tarmacadam as is the stretch from the Tailing ponds to Gibstown.

So progress is really moving at pace on the greenway. By mid summer we will have 23km of the BoyneValley-Lakelands greenway completed with the last 7km not far behind. Meath CC are also in discussions with Cavan CC about how the greenway will connect into Dun Na Ri Park.

This greenway will be up there with the best of them. The local walking loops has turned out to be a brilliant amenity for locals and walking groups from far and near. The next few months will be exciting times for the BoyneValley-Lakelands greenway.... really looking forward to seeing it nearing completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I see a small amount of funding was announced for Patrickswell to Charleville. What route would that be on or is it part of the future bypass?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Is the 50k for the Rosslare/waterford.one for a feasibility study

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Anyone know if the theres any updates on the Hazelhatch to Lucan path?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭RunDMC

No work has been done, but there have been JCBs or tractors going up and down so it's a bit of a mess right now.

R

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭FinnC

I emailed SDCC a few weeks ago and works were to commence end of March so should be starting soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Cheers, There are some diggers around the Lucan end but I don't know if that's from the nearby building site or not

I googled it and all I could find was an article from 2 years ago stating how greenway would be finished in 2022 😫

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think some of the construction workers (on the latest EdgeConnex site) are accessing the site via the southern towpath*

* I know it's not a towpath!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Preferred route for Athlone -> Galway is online today

Virtual Consultation Room is here

https://storage.net-fs.com/hosting/6414124/29/

I'm very disappointed, I was hoping for 200 right-angled 90 degree turns as it traversed the edges of fields, it looks like they only managed 199

My particular favorite is around Shannonbridge, where they've managed to shoehorn in 10 in just over 1km

I don't know what this is, but a relaxing spin it does not appear to be. Quite the opposite to be honest and I don't see myself ever using it. I'm getting stressed just looking at the route nevermind actually using it

Fk me, golden opportunity missed here. It takes a detour to bypass Oranmore to divert the users out to the dual carriageway. WTF haha

Yes I know there be a bike lane or something but jesus they could have used this to fix the utter clusterfark that is Oranmore village and brought huge numbers right into it

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Monstrosity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭jamesd

Can't see it happening anyways, a good few local farmers around Meelick and outside Portumna and fully set against it.

Oranmore section is a disaster and sets the tone for the other sections I reckon. Vehicualr traffic already has a bypass around the town for many years now any forward thinking Northern European Country would be looking at creating Cul De Sacs into the village. i.e one can drive in any road; but ya have to come back out the same road that you drove in on. Or create a ONE Way system and utilise other vehicular lane. This can be easily done for Oranmore as it has a bypass road system for it to be implemented. The Greenway here should be more about catering for the local need of an expanding town like Oranmore.

Other thing that stood out was this Greenway avoids Kinvara village as well. Why bother routing the Galway to Dublin Greenway to the outskirts of Kinvara if one is not going to go into the village?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,326 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Is going around the outskirts of, rather than through a village like Kinvara actually that bad an idea?

I'm really only familiar with the Royal Canal Greenway (Dublin/Kildare section) and it goes around rather than through the likes of Blanchardstown village, Clonsilla, Confey. And no-one sees anything wrong with that. If you want to go to those places then you come off the greenway and travel a few hundred metres to those villages. If those places aren't your actual destination or starting point, then you can just ignore the turn-off. To me that seems the ideal way to do it?

• Advertisement

If one wants' Greenways to be heavily used by locals though? They should be incorporated into the village itself IMHO. Gort is probably a better example than Kinvarra, but I do think route into Kinvarra could be better.

Portumna look ok', the link roads to and from the Greenway have very light vehicular traffic. Same with ShannonBridge.

Wish Galway City route finished in Eyre Square rather than Ballyloughane Beach. This missing link from Renmore to Eyre Square would have a massive impact for City Commuters from Eastern side of Galway City.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

A mate went to the session in Oranmore on the Galway route, and the feedback I got from him was:

1) Kilcolgan farmers outside protesting

2) Locals in Oranmore complaining they won't be able to use it as a local amenity as its too far out of town

By trying to appease everyone with a least impactful route all that's been proposed is a substandard route that really impacts on its utility.

I looked at the Clarinbridge section... You've to cross the N67 twice in less than 1km, once heading north into the village, and then again to get into the carpark of Paddy Burkes to go around the back and join the Sea road...

Why not just take the available hardshoulder space all the way to Caiseal Riada junction, then down that road and put in a new pedestrian bridge to join to Sea Road. Kilcornan woods can still be a detour if you want to spur the route but it keeps cyclists on a more direct route with less conflict crossing roads. I have zero doubts that any of these crossing road points will be signal controlled!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

That is an impressively bad route.

This is fine, routing around villages and bringing a spur/link to the greenway, as long as there's also high quality cycle infrastructure within the villages themselves. I suspect (but don't have evidence) that most of the villages in question don't have anything. In which case the greenway gets most use from people driving their car to the greenway, and rarely exiting the greenway to bring custom and life to the local villages. Kind of a lose-lose situation.

Why would you avoid going through a village? Presumably to make the route more direct and have less interactions with motor vehicles. But the route proposed crosses roads multiple times near villages and is about as indirect as possible. So there's no net gain to "routing around". The Shannonbridge routing is a particularly spectacular example of that: they'll keep on-road parking on both sides of the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

ornamore needs a one way system for traffic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭cletus

The gates look like the can be swung and closed in the opposite configuration too. It's certainly intriguing

Post edited by cletus on

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'd say the landowner just forgot to close them to the usual position.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

according to that thread, they were locked. though if these are the locks, they're not massively secure looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭cletus

That seems like the most likely scenario to me

Advertisement