Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday Game host

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,872 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

AGC wrote: »
    Wouldn’t mind seeing O’Rourke swapped out for O’se or Whelan. I find O’Rourke has a chip on his shoulder, certainly when it comes to Dublin.

Brolly is the Dunphy and gets people talking.

Brolly can act the eejit, (comically in fairness a lot of the time), but when he puts his mind to it he isn`t a bad analyst.

If it was a choice between O`Rourke or Spillane being replaced by Whelan - who I rate highly - then Spillane without a doubt.

O`Rourke may have a chip on his shoulder with Dublin, Spillane`s is an entire province. Plus he cannot complete a sentence without mentioning Kerry and the great team that would have been nothing without him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Sky got a woman to front their GAA coverage.

I have no problems with this appointment at all. She's a good presenter and has the knowledge.

sky got a woman to front their GAA with certain assets, and hasn’t a clue what she is on about with her script.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Only after seeing this now. What a joke of an appointment, given the job only because she's a woman. It's going to ruin the atmosphere of the show, because, let's face it, not many people actually tune in for the punditry.

sightband wrote: »
    I’ll go all out there and get crucified with misogynistic pig comments...but at a very fundamental level the atmosphere of the panel in that studio is one of boisterous alpha male one upmanship, and that’s what makes it enjoyable, gaa men talking gaa with a big man mediating and prodding them...so that said, she just doesn’t fit the part in how she looks, you could flick her out the door. The dynamic will be completely different and the worse for it, I don’t really care how well informed or researched she is, she will look completely out of place....television is as much about looks and appearance and being the right fit as it is about performance so I feel this is a fair comment.

This post sums it up exactly. I can only hope that if it's as bad as most people are expecting she'll be given the boot. If she's the anchor for the next 30 years god help us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I think Joanne Cantwell is a good choice. Only other person I can think of who is better that RTE would reasonably hire is Daragh Maloney. Des Cahill is a dose, and I really don't see what the hype is about Dara O'Cinneide. I love Wooly's podcast, but he's definitely not suited to RTE.

Who the presenter is will not make any difference to me as long as Brolly and Spillane are analysts. I'll continue to mute my TV while they speak. Tomas O'Se, Whelan, Dolan etc, may have their faults, but at least they're capable of acting like adults

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

sightband wrote: »
    sky got a woman to front their GAA with certain assets, and hasn’t a clue what she is on about with her script.

But she is working for a TV channel not funded by the licence fee, which was what I responded to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Time to watch this with the volume off. Format gone very stale and joannes grating voice will be the last nail in the coffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I think Joanne Cantwell is a good choice. Only other person I can think of who is better that RTE would reasonably hire is Daragh Maloney. Des Cahill is a dose, and I really don't see what the hype is about Dara O'Cinneide. I love Wooly's podcast, but he's definitely not suited to RTE.

Who the presenter is will not make any difference to me as long as Brolly and Spillane are analysts. I'll continue to mute my TV while they speak. Tomas O'Se, Whelan, Dolan etc, may have their faults, but at least they're capable of acting like adults

DOC is intelligent and insightful. Also what a career. He knows what he’s talking about. But maybe on balance he’s better as an analyst.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,872 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

But she is working for a TV channel not funded by the licence fee, which was what I responded to.

Well she certainly did not get the job to attract viewers because of her knowledge of the sport,
    So would that not mean she got it either because of gender balance, her looks, or a combination of both ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Listened to her presenting the golf last year. Only one word HORRENDOUS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Colm Parkinson despite his insight is absolutely terrible to listen to on a podcast, nevermind how uncomfortable he'd be on television. O'Cinnéide would be a great shout if he had standing in RTE. Still plenty of time for him to get involved but I think a foot in RTE's door would've been required to even get the highlights show on Sunday nights.

Don't think Joanne Cantwell is a bad choice tbh. I find the football punditry fairly tryhard when Brolly is on and Spillane is fairly neutered compared to 15 years ago. The hurling is a different story. Cyril Farrell is not a character that will be contained any man, woman or beast. Himself and Ger on a panel together is super stuff. Don't see Joanne Cantwell interrupting any sort of interesting discussion.

She's also pretty good on Against the Head.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm guessing it was decided early on by RTE that a woman would be the new host.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

charlie14 wrote: »
    Brolly can act the eejit, (comically in fairness a lot of the time), but when he puts his mind to it he isn`t a bad analyst.

If it was a choice between O`Rourke or Spillane being replaced by Whelan - who I rate highly - then Spillane without a doubt.

O`Rourke may have a chip on his shoulder with Dublin, Spillane`s is an entire province. Plus he cannot complete a sentence without mentioning Kerry and the great team that would have been nothing without him.

Agree with you
    Would like to see these old days footballers replaced and move forward to new game and get rid of the bloody suits as it’s summer time and have a more casual approach to day.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

AGC wrote: »
    Wouldn’t mind seeing O’Rourke swapped out for O’se or Whelan. I find O’Rourke has a chip on his shoulder, certainly when it comes to Dublin.

Brolly is the Dunphy and gets people talking.

RTEs desire for a "Dunphy" is a problem when it gets in the way of decent analysis and unfortunately Brollys desire to be a talking point is taking away from analysis of the football. He is plainly an intelligent person and can make decent points but Dunphyism is something RTE need to get rid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

grbear wrote: »
    RTEs desire for a "Dunphy" is a problem when it gets in the way of decent analysis and unfortunately Brollys desire to be a talking point is taking away from analysis of the football. He is plainly an intelligent person and can make decent points but Dunphyism is something RTE need to get rid of.

Nail on the head! They have tried to have a "Dunphy" in every other sport not just soccer Loughnane, Brolly, Hook, Gerry Kiernan etc. It simply doesn't work and gets very tiresome after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Nail on the head! They have tried to have a "Dunphy" in every other sport not just soccer Loughnane, Brolly, Hook, Gerry Kiernan etc. It simply doesn't work and gets very tiresome after a while.

Yet as you read this thread you see a lot of people lamenting the change of presenter as it might diminish the "craic". The coverage is brutal at the moment so hopefully this change will improve things and spark further changes in the future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

What matters are the games. The waffle afterwards will be forgotten like yesterday's chip wrapper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

What matters are the games. The waffle afterwards will be forgotten like yesterday's chip wrapper.

But its not forgotten tho that's the problem. The crap they spout is repeated over and over for years as if it's fact and the ****e soundbites stay with teams and players forever. They're a roaring disgrace imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

grbear wrote: »
    He is plainly an intelligent person...

Obviously, as thick people rarely become barristers.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Icsics wrote: »
    Anna Geary is in danger of being overexposed, she’s on everything!

Anna Geary and Senan Connell are lightweights on Eir Sports league coverage.

Nothing better than pub talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

This was the most predictable appointment you'll see pretty much anywhere this year.

I won't even argue the point of her genuinely being the best candidate for the job. These days though if you're at least in the discussion of genuine candidates for a job, if you're the only woman in the mix among a group of chaps then it's time for the guys to continue their job search. She was absolutely always getting this, and they'll (RTE) pat themselves on the back much like the multiday festival they had when they gave two women the main news gig.

Diversity stats and HR analytics are all the rage these days. Outside of dangerous jobs, or undesirable work generally dominated in numbers by men, and desirable jobs or otherwise good careers dominated by women, the race to gender quotas has well and truly begun.

It's a shame for Cantwell that she got the job in this environment, it somewhat sullies it for her, part of the reason why diversity quotas are a terrible idea. Cantwell clearly loves her sport, she's in the right place broadly speaking. I don't think this particular style suits her, there is a difference in being a host and being a quasi-mediator. She's enthusiastic and that, but i just find her approach to be quite dull and I'd be inclined not to watch it.

To be honest i didn't think there were any great candidates on the shortlist. The big message here is that the decline in standard was always going to happen after Lyster left. I don't think he was all that keen on leaving. He was an employee so he had to leave at 65, but he could have come back as a contractor, and given how he was generally quite popular (my opinion) and that he was keen to stay on I figure that the smart decision would have been to keep him on board.

The fact that RTE decided against that, and were quite keen to get Joanne on there, that to me is the signal as to why she, specifically, was hired.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Oh I'm sure she'll be on the LLS and you'll have that creep Tubridy fawning all over her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

ligerdub wrote: »

To be honest i didn't think there were any great candidates on the shortlist. The big message here is that the decline in standard was always going to happen after Lyster left. I don't think he was all that keen on leaving. He was an employee so he had to leave at 65, but he could have come back as a contractor, and given how he was generally quite popular (my opinion) and that he was keen to stay on I figure that the smart decision would have been to keep him on board.

The fact that RTE decided against that, and were quite keen to get Joanne on there, that to me is the signal as to why she, specifically, was hired.

Would expect his recent health issues made up his own mind for him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Looking at what was available I don't see any great problem with Cantwell TBH.
    He loves her sport, has been around for some time and is not a bluffer. Bad enough having to listen to Des Cahill on morning radio. Glad too that Lyster is finally packing it in. For all the years he spent in the job his knowledge remained limited. Always went with the flow and seldom gave the 'weaker' counties the credit they deserved.
    But as another poster pointed out, its the games that matter, not some ego driven programme after the 9.30 news.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Well at least people are giving her a fair crack of the whip 15 months out from her actually taking up the job

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Patww79 wrote:

It's not really a massive bias if they are renowned for negative comments though. I know Jayop can go nuts with negativity around Tyrone but I'd agree with Jayop TBH they lash Tyrone.
    It's almost like it's allowed
    Spillane who has an understandable bit of history with Dublin is decent enough about it, but he's at a different level with Tyrone he never really came up against them Brolly is the same.

O'Rourke hasn't had much to say for a few years now imo. I think he should be changed out. I used to read his content all the time but it's all one big moan now about the association, players not enjoying it, split Dublin, clubs are destroyed, attendance is dropping, lads playing too many games, rural decline, his contribution is like a miserable auldwons these days. I get enough of that anyway without it hijacking sports.

I don't understand why we have to have the same bunch all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Mr321

Dessie Dolan be a good host

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭billyhead

A bit off topic but Ciaran Whelan is a very good pundit in the football and likewise Fast Eddie Brennan in the hurling. I also think Michael Duignan and Bernard Flynn are brilliant on the radio. They tell it as it is and know their stuff.

Advertisement