Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday Game host

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

When he is finished the dancing gig.

marty-18-752x501.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Surely Danny Healy-Rae should be in the running....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Jayop wrote: »
    I would like Parkinson actually but having listened to him having Brolly on the podcast last week he simply couldn't shut him up. My preference would be a wholesale clear out. There's so many good pundits and analysts out there now if you listen to GAA podcasts that won't get their shot on RTE but they provide much better analysis than the old gang on the sunday game.
    I felt bad for Parkinson listening to that Brolly interview. Brolly didn't give a damn about what Parkinson was saying and just kept droning on as if he was reciting a script. It didn't even come across as Brolly being passionate about the subject, just bad manners on his part. I wouldn't mind seeing him follow Lyster out the door.

O'Cinneide Is probably the best candidate out there.

Alternatively get John Mullane to present coverage of the football matches just to see his reaction to being stuck watching something like Meath-Laois while Waterford are playing a Munster Championship match.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Vogue Williams?

Well she seems to get every other job in RTE so it wouldn't surprise me!

Dara O'Cinneide would be my choice but I doubt he'll get it. Probably be Des Cahill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭cms88

Who should get it? IMO Dara Ó Cinnéide. Who will more than likely get it? Joanne Cantwell because now apparently every job has to gt to a woman regardless of if they're actually the best person for the job

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Jacqui wrecks my head so hopefully not.

Her Joanne Cantwell and Anna Geary are as bad as eachother, so dont be surprised if it's all three of them hosting it!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

Marty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

grbear wrote: »
    I felt bad for Parkinson listening to that Brolly interview. Brolly didn't give a damn about what Parkinson was saying and just kept droning on as if he was reciting a script. It didn't even come across as Brolly being passionate about the subject, just bad manners on his part. I wouldn't mind seeing him follow Lyster out the door.

O'Cinneide Is probably the best candidate out there.

Alternatively get John Mullane to present coverage of the football matches just to see his reaction to being stuck watching something like Meath-Laois while Waterford are playing a Munster Championship match.

That's Brollys shtick. He's truly woeful to listen to about any subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Michéal Ó Domhnall the current TG4 presenter I am sure is well admired.

He would be my pick but as RTÉ are pushing women lately it will be Joanne Cantwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

Effin Eddie moroney feck all the PC **** give it to an old school no holds barred lover of the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Please not Wooly, utter cock. Would not mind Evanne though. Probably between Cantwell, Cahill and O'Cinnede. Each would have both positives and negatives. The TG man would be a great outside bet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Please not Wooly, utter cock. Would not mind Evanne though. Probably between Cantwell, Cahill and O'Cinnede. Each would have both positives and negatives. The TG man would be a great outside bet though.

There’s no way Wooly would take it, all he used to do was criticize RTE/TSG for being snubbed anyway, poor sod would be if he works for joe.****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I'm for mixing it up a bit.

Freshen things up.

Rotate the host, on a weekly basis.

Rotate the panelists, on a weekly basis.

They do it early in the summer, but not enough from the quarter finals onwards, when the usual faces get the really big games.

Have more recently retired players on, from all counties, not just the high profile ones.

Enforce a policy that no one from a county competing in that days games, can be on the show. There is no way in hell they can be fair & impartial.

It's a very stale format as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I'm for mixing it up a bit.

Freshen things up.

Rotate the host, on a weekly basis.

Rotate the panelists, on a weekly basis.

They do it early in the summer, but not enough from the quarter finals onwards, when the usual faces get the really big games.

Have more recently retired players on, from all counties, not just the high profile ones.

Enforce a policy that no one from a county competing in that days games, can be on the show. There is no way in hell they can be fair & impartial.

It's a very stale format as it is.

I don't mind someone from the county participating being on so long as there's a balance and someone from the other county is on too so as not to allow them to run away with themselves with personal abuse and way OTT attacks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Cahill is as old as Lyster so he wont get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Tomás Ó Sé. Best current pundit writing and does well on the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,873 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Cahill is as old as Lyster so he wont get it.

I would say Lyster leaving is more to do with his health than his age.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭jack67

Ciaran whelan

charlie14 wrote: »
    I would say Lyster leaving is more to do with his health than his age.
    I read there's a requirement they leave when they're 65, but that could be fake news.

I`m not sure on that, you may be right , but Des Cahill only turned 58 in December faik.

If Dara O Cinneide or Tomas O Se get the job then Pat Spillane will have to go.

As is he has to mention Kerry every second word.

With another of his county men presenting they might as well just call it the Kerry Show.

• Advertisement

I don't mind someone from the county participating being on so long as there's a balance and someone from the other county is on too so as not to allow them to run away with themselves with personal abuse and way OTT attacks.

You rarely see the pundits call each other out. They are there to give their own opinions, not police each other. Outside of the Brolly/Spillane bickering, you don't really see it else where.
    charlie14 wrote: »
    I`m not sure on that, you may be right , but Des Cahill only turned 58 in December faik.

If Dara O Cinneide or Tomas O Se get the job then Pat Spillane will have to go.

As is he has to mention Kerry every second word.

With another of his county men presenting they might as well just call it the Kerry Show.

Seriously.

This years AI final had one Kerryman on the live show, another one on the evening show & Colm Cooper doing the bit from the sideline. Give the hosting gig to DO'C (who I think is very, very good btw) and they may as well rename it Terrace Talk On Tour. Good luck getting fair, impartial commentary on games that Kerry are playing in, with 4 feckin' Kerrymen on the show. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I read there's a requirement they leave when they're 65, but that could be fake news.

It's true. Michael Lyster is hired directly by RTE so is seen as a public servant and must retire at 65. Others in RTE are contracted in so aren't RTE employees so don't have to retire at 65. It's a stupid rule but hey what can you do. So if Des Cahill is the latter then there is no reason why he couldn't host it until he is 99.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    You rarely see the pundits call each other out. They are there to give their own opinions, not police each other. Outside of the Brolly/Spillane bickering, you don't really see it else where.

Seriously.

This years AI final had one Kerryman on the live show, another one on the evening show & Colm Cooper doing the bit from the sideline. Give the hosting gig to DO'C (who I think is very, very good btw) and they may as well rename it Terrace Talk On Tour. Good luck getting fair, impartial commentary on games that Kerry are playing in, with 4 feckin' Kerrymen on the show. :rolleyes:

So kinda like Ciarán Whelan or Coman Goggins or Senan Connell

Where did I say that Dub pundits are any better than their Dublin counterparts?

Nowhere is where.

They are all cut from the same cloth and, are out to do whatever is best for their own county...be that underplay the transgressions of their own county men, or make a big song and dance about what their opposition get up to.

Having three or four pundits/hosts from one county (regardless of the county) on the one show, is far, far too many.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    It's true. Michael Lyster is hired directly by RTE so is seen as a public servant and must retire at 65. Others in RTE are contracted in so aren't RTE employees so don't have to retire at 65. It's a stupid rule but hey what can you do. So if Des Cahill is the latter then there is no reason why he couldn't host it until he is 99.
    So what's the difference between 'hired directly' and 'contracted'? Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭big_drive

So what's the difference between 'hired directly' and 'contracted'? Crazy stuff.

The same as any other sector. Hired directly is going to be more secure long term but with more strict conditions attached
    Like in any other area of employment, contracted employment might be for busy periods only, if the structure of a company changes etc.
    It’s fairly straightforward I would have thought

big_drive wrote: »
    The same as any other sector. Hired directly is going to be more secure long term but with more strict conditions attached
    Like in any other area of employment, contracted employment might be for busy periods only, if the structure of a company changes etc.
    It’s fairly straightforward I would have thought
    Just sack Lyster and contract him again so.

Hired directly in this instance means you receive a set salary with a nice RTE pension based on that salary when you reach retirement age

Contracted means you are self employed, paid by the hours you are employed, retire when you wish but no nice RTE pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭squrm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Poor call and just another woman pushed forward by RTE IMO, all for equality but just look at recent appointments made.

There is plenty of male reporters at RTE more than capable.

Can’t see Joanne working well alongside Brolly, O’Rourke and Spillane on big match days.

Advertisement