Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sunday Game host

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

AGC wrote: »
    Poor call and just another woman pushed forward by RTE IMO, all for equality but just look at recent appointments made.

There is plenty of male reporters at RTE more than capable.

Can’t see Joanne working well alongside Brolly, O’Rourke and Spillane on big match days.

What specifically is your problem with her? I've found her very well informed, asks good questions and keeps the conversation flowing every time I've seen her presenting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

What specifically is your problem with her? I've found her very well informed, asks good questions and keeps the conversation flowing every time I've seen her presenting.

I’ll go all out there and get crucified with misogynistic pig comments...but at a very fundamental level the atmosphere of the panel in that studio is one of boisterous alpha male one upmanship, and that’s what makes it enjoyable, gaa men talking gaa with a big man mediating and prodding them...so that said, she just doesn’t fit the part in how she looks, you could flick her out the door. The dynamic will be completely different and the worse for it, I don’t really care how well informed or researched she is, she will look completely out of place....television is as much about looks and appearance and being the right fit as it is about performance so I feel this is a fair comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

She tries too be argumentative when it is not needed, an interview with Eamon Fitzmaurice comes to mind.

I am not surprised it is her the way RTE have made appointments recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

sightband wrote:
    I’ll go all out there and get crucified with misogynistic pig comments...but at a very fundamental level the atmosphere of the panel in that studio is one of boisterous alpha male one upmanship, and that’s what makes it enjoyable, gaa men talking gaa with a big man mediating and prodding them...so that said, she just doesn’t fit the part in how she looks, you could flick her out the door. The dynamic will be completely different and the worse for it, I don’t really care how well informed or researched she is, she will look completely out of place....television is as much about looks and appearance and being the right fit as it is about performance so I feel this is a fair comment.

Assuming the dynamic does change I don't know if it will be the worse for it. I find Brolly tiring and if he's forced to be more civilised for want of a better way of describing it, then great. The alpha male, oneupmanship is stale. I'd rather more actual discussion.

I think joanne will be fine. I don't expect her introduction to impact on my enjoyment of the programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,849 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

sightband wrote: »

Just on that, nothing against her and I wish her well, but when it comes to the dynamics of a programme like the Sunday Game, if it was an appointment made by a strictly commercial station other than one with funding from licence fees would they have appointed a woman i wonder.

Still, I would not regard who is fronting it as the major problem.
    For me that is the lack of good critical unbiased and tactical analysis from panelists on football when compared to hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Think Joanne is a good choice and is deserving of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Joanne is far from being the worst choice. It is a pity that some people will think she got it only because of her sex. She's been doing Gaelic games for years on both television and radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Damn. Ah well its what plenty feared. Geary will probably replace Brolly in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Mr321

Mr321 wrote: »
    I'd fear Des Cahill will get it. He's grand where he is on the Sunday Game review.

Jacqui is good at her sports news presenting but can't see her good against a panel.

Joanne Cantwell be perfect for the job.

I called it first lads ;)

Ah think it was the right choice tbh, she's done the Saturday game so how could they not pass her.

I'm just glad its not Jacqui or Anna Geary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Honestly can't believe the poor quality of those who were in the running. All seriously lacking personality barring Brolly (who would have been a terrible choice for other reasons) and O'Cinneide.

Cantwell is still a better choice than Anna Geary or Des Cahill, but it's not like that says much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Another appointment based on genitalia rather than competence.

Cantwells obnoxious post match interview questions should have ruled her out

Won an All Ireland, it's the greatest moment in your life: Cantwell will ask you are you retiring now.

Lost an All Ireland,it's lowest point in your life: Cantwell will ask you are going to have to go now

No respect for her, and the three amigos won't have any either

It's a sad place we've gotten to that some people will bit not believe any more than an appointment of a female is based on merit. I can understand where the suspicion is coming from and I've heard the reverse said many times. But some men and women now are only able to believe that either when a man is employed that it's just because they'd never hire a women or when a women is employed that they're going out of their way to employ a woman.

I hope this dies off over the next few years, but it might get worse before it gets better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

It should be based on knowledge of the subject at the end of the day; stick the candidates in a dark corner and demand to know who was the Kildare captain in 1928 :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

blue note wrote: »
    It's a sad place we've gotten to that some people will bit not believe any more than an appointment of a female is based on merit. I can understand where the suspicion is coming from and I've heard the reverse said many times. But some men and women now are only able to believe that either when a man is employed that it's just because they'd never hire a women or when a women is employed that they're going out of their way to employ a woman.

I hope this dies off over the next few years, but it might get worse before it gets better.

you hope the opinion or the practice dies off?

the pendulum has very much firmly swung into an area of women getting hired on purely because they are women.

the six one news is an absolute shambles with the two barbies they have put in place. inept doesn't begin to describe them.

sightband wrote:
    you hope the opinion or the practice dies off?

sightband wrote:
    the pendulum has very much firmly swung into an area of women getting hired on purely because they are women.

sightband wrote:
    the six one news is an absolute shambles with the two barbies they have put in place. inept doesn't begin to describe them.

I hope both die off. I know it happens that people are hired or not based on gender, but also on merit. And those hired on merit are being doubted now because if it. I'd include joanne in that bracket.

The newsreading one is a funny one. It's very much a female job, they're much more common in general for it. They've probably up to now tried to make sure they had a man and a woman, so outs very possible the men were the token ones there.

But have a listen to the newsreaders on radio. There are at least twice as many women as men doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Urindanger

Cantwell is a complete robot. There will be no craic before or after matches now. It's a cowardly move from the RTE but not a shock at all.

O Domhnaill from TG4 would have been a great choice. Knowledgeable about the ins and outs of the sport without having to come across as a thesis writer and well able to have the craic too. The work he does for TG4 across all modes of the sport is impeccable - hurling, football, camogie, senior, minor, 21s. Analysis, interviews, general craic he has it all in a lovely natural style.

The day show will be as dull and monotonous as Des' evening show.

Might as well fast forward to complete sale of GAA coverage to Sky Sports tbh it's only time before the main panelists leave or are f*cked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

squrm wrote: »

At least it's not the insufferable Anna Geary. :)
    is there a more annoying person on tv than her I wonder.?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭big_drive

washman3 wrote: »
    At least it's not the insufferable Anna Geary. :)
    is there a more annoying person on tv than her I wonder.?

She’s a very poor analyst. Saw her after some camogie game last year and it was very poor analysis from someone who’d played the game. Just a load of cliches etc

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Joanne is far from being the worst choice. It is a pity that some people will think she got it only because of her sex. She's been doing Gaelic games for years on both television and radio.

not being the worse choice isnt saying a whole pile.

and being realistic, given the current environment it does appear her being a woman played a massive advantage.

she wasnt the best candiate in my opinion (i think she probably was the 5th, maybe 4th best) but being a woman right now gives you massive advantage in every job interview especially one like this.

best of luck to her, im sure she will do a great job but they started putting men into positions of womans sport soley based on their gender, youd see the backlash pretty quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

Mr321 wrote: »
    I called it first lads ;)

Ah think it was the right choice tbh, she's done the Saturday game so how could they not pass her.

I'm just glad its not Jacqui or Anna Geary.

Anna Geary is in danger of being overexposed, she’s on everything!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Urindanger

Icsics wrote: »

Just like Holly bloody Willoughby. Easier to count the number of shows she's not on than the ones she is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭kksaints

Decent choice. She's quite good at asking hard questions and making sure there's little waffle in the answer. Could be far worse like Des Cahill or Peter Collins.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

charlie14 wrote: »
    Just on that, nothing against her and I wish her well, but when it comes to the dynamics of a programme like the Sunday Game, if it was an appointment made by a strictly commercial station other than one with funding from licence fees would they have appointed a woman i wonder.

Still, I would not regard who is fronting it as the major problem.
    For me that is the lack of good critical unbiased and tactical analysis from panelists on football when compared to hurling.

Sky got a woman to front their GAA coverage.

I have no problems with this appointment at all. She's a good presenter and has the knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Icsics wrote: »

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭thesultan

Spillane won't be able to handle himself if Geary got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

If they freshen up the big game panel as well it could be interesting. If it's still Joe, Pat and Colm then I'll continue to ignore it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

grbear wrote: »
    If they freshen up the big game panel as well it could be interesting. If it's still Joe, Pat and Colm then I'll continue to ignore it.

Wouldn’t mind seeing O’Rourke swapped out for O’se or Whelan. I find O’Rourke has a chip on his shoulder, certainly when it comes to Dublin.

Brolly is the Dunphy and gets people talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,849 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Sky got a woman to front their GAA coverage.

I have no problems with this appointment at all. She's a good presenter and has the knowledge.

I wouldn`t hold up the Sky coverage as a great example :)

I have no great problem with her as a presenter, and the best of luck to her, but I just feel that with the Sunday Game in the main covering hurling and male football, that a male presenter suits the show better.

AGC wrote: »
    Wouldn’t mind seeing O’Rourke swapped out for O’se or Whelan. I find O’Rourke has a chip on his shoulder, certainly when it comes to Dublin.

Brolly is the Dunphy and gets people talking.

Agree you wouldn't think he had Leitrim/Meath roots

• Advertisement

big_drive wrote: »
    She’s a very poor analyst. Saw her after some camogie game last year and it was very poor analysis from someone who’d played the game. Just a load of cliches etc

Yes the All Ireland final she was on, was as well have a cat in her seat. Was another women on the panel that day she was brilliant, a joy to listen to

Advertisement