Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School pupils will be expelled for having boyfriends and girlfriends

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Klinkhammer

I started going out with my now wife while we were in 4th year. This rule could have saved me a lot of strife and hardship.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

His school has far more demand than it has places for kids.

This will simply ensure that he gets the kids who want to spent their time studying, not f***ing. The smart ones can go to his school and get the best schools results they can. The rest can go to other schools and spread diseases amongst themselves.

Sounds like a win for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

This should be grounds for giving him the boot to be honest, he's openly bragging about being unfit for his job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

This ban would be unenforceable and a waste of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Skatedude wrote: »
    How can it be in any way legal to expel students because they went to the park, or had a takeaway, never even mind dating.

There is no way they can legally enforce policies like this.

Even from a practical standpoint, social interaction (at the very very least) should be encouraged between kids of this age. You don't necessarily want them having gang bangs or giving each other rusty trombones or kentucky tractor pullers (see urban dictionary) but you certainly want them engaging each other in a normal way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Presumably the whole obsession they have in the UK with school league tables plays at least a part in this. If the school's academic standards fall then that queue of people waiting to get their kids in will start to reduce and then all of a sudden the school isn't sitting on such a big pile of cash any more. So even if the school's scores start to fall a little over the next year or two, the principal has demonstrated his commitment to high academic standards and the lengths he's prepared to go to maintain them, which may mean that people aren't as quick to look at alternatives.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Did anyone read the whole article. The pupils are already forbidden from going to restaurants, having take-aways or going to the park!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

iguana wrote: »
    Did anyone read the whole article. The pupils are already forbidden from going to restaurants, having take-aways or going to the park!

surely theres been a misprint, surely the article is suppose to say prison instead of school!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    surely theres been a misprint, surely the article is suppose to say prison instead of school!

It's a boarding school so not too far off.
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/private-school-ruthlessly-expel-students-12670511

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

kentucky tractor pullers (see urban dictionary)

Had to look this one up

The act of a male and a male or male and a female preforming anal sex. During sex the receiver clenches their butt-cheeks tightly and runs with the penis still in the buttocks

"Last night my boyfriend scared me during sex by putting it in my butt so I ran away. Little did I know I accidentally gave him a Kentucky Tractor Puller."

Made me spit my beer out while actually watching hector bellerin play chelsea

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Had to look this one up

The act of a male and a male or male and a female preforming anal sex. During sex the receiver clenches their butt-cheeks tightly and runs with the penis still in the buttocks

"Last night my boyfriend scared me during sex by putting it in my butt so I ran away. Little did I know I accidentally gave him a Kentucky Tractor Puller."

Made me spit my beer out while actually watching hector bellerin play chelsea

Thats a quality shape

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Think of all the terrible poetry that will be written if this measure is brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

When I was in school girls who ended up pregnant were immediately told to stay at home and had their class work sent home to them for the duration of the pregnancy.

This was to hide them away from the other pure students, in case they got any wild ideas.

Mad when you think about it now.

694.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Private school, he can do what he wants. He is a plonker and if parents still decide to use the school they are no better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Oh jayzus, someone better explain to him that boy/boy and girl/girl relationships are also not beyond the realms of possibility.

Might want to have the defib on standby though.

What a complete idiot
    No, he doesn't care if the gays don't do well academically, so long as the normals do. ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

When I was in school girls who ended up pregnant were immediately told to stay at home and had their class work sent home to them for the duration of the pregnancy.

This was to hide them away from the other pure students, in case they got any wild ideas.

Mad when you think about it now.

That's what happened to me...and that was 2010!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

when did having written reference for uni become a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,103 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

when did having written reference for uni become a thing?
    It's a thing in the UK, for the tonier universities. Always has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,103 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Zaph wrote: »
    Presumably the whole obsession they have in the UK with school league tables plays at least a part in this. If the school's academic standards fall then that queue of people waiting to get their kids in will start to reduce and then all of a sudden the school isn't sitting on such a big pile of cash any more. So even if the school's scores start to fall a little over the next year or two, the principal has demonstrated his commitment to high academic standards and the lengths he's prepared to go to maintain them, which may mean that people aren't as quick to look at alternatives.
    This is exactly it - in the newspaper report he's quite open about his motivations. The school charges a lot of money on the basis that it delivers league-topping exam results; he reckons students in relationships are distracted and underacheive academically as a result. Obviously, if that's true (which I'm not so sure it is, but let that go) students in relationships will bring the school's average results down, and we can't have that, can we? Because then parents might not be willing to pay quite so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

This whole sorry fcuking episode is the school's fault and the blame lies directly with the Administration/Admissions Office.
    They admitted 45 more students than they can handle/house so now instead of becktracking and finding the cause of the error and rectifying it. e.g. simply identifying the 45 surplus students who were erroneously admitted, they are shifting to another tactic of introducing draconian measures in a bid to cull the numbers and extricate themselves from their own fcuk-up.

You know the staff/principal don't have the guts to phone up some billionaire oil Sheikh or American captain of industry or British Royal cousin and "regretfully inform" them that Amir or Sergei or Little Lord Fauntleroy who was successfully admitted was done so erroneously and must now fcuk off to another school.

Bad form that, say what! Plus these parents donate handsomely to the school fund. No we must find other methods of trimming the numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This is all about the money and retaining "prestige" status on the oh-so all important UK school league tables. Very little to do with actual concern for the students' welfare or happiness.

He gets to trim the numbers after a f-up with admissions (probably due to greed) and comes across as an intolerant Victorian authoritarian. Win win for the school!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

iguana wrote: »

Can students in Boarding schools normally get Takeaways?

I assume he doesn't want them in sex in school?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

He can say what he wants but you cant expel someone for that. It would be completely illegal.

He could however prevent kissing etc on school grounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Well if it's a boarding school he can make rules about what kind of behaviour is allowed on school grounds. So if he says no physical contact between boys and girls on school grounds, or while pupils are under his authority, he's effectively forbidding boyfriend and girlfriend type relationships. There's absolutely no way he could impose that in a day school, but in a boarding school I see how he can. Likewise I can understand how a boarding school can forbid trips to the local park, eating takeaways etc.

I presume, during holidays he has no control over any of these things.

Can students in Boarding schools normally get Takeaways?

I assume he doesn't want them in sex in school?
    If I'm right a good few schools allow it under condition - e.g. as a 'carrot' for good behaviour, or on a particular day of the week (or weekends), above a certain age (e.g. 4th year onwards), with permission of the year head/dorm head/whoever is responsible for them, etc etc.

I reckon as an incentive it's not only easy to allow but probably highly effective, teenagers fecking love takeaways.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's no different to a sports coach banning the team from having sex in the leadup to a big match.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's no different to a sports coach banning the team from having sex in the leadup to a big match.

Except that, in virtually all measurable ways, it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

It's completely different.

More like a sports coach banning the team from so much as kissing a girl or having any relationship for as long as they play that sport, while the team have no option in life but to play that sport for several more years, with the threat of significantly damaging their chances to progress in life if they break the rule or quit the sport.

That's the only was to make that analogy even kind of the same to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Quite right too. More sexual and emotional repression!! That's what we want!!

Let's face it: the brutality and exploitation that this sort of thing engenders: big boys ganging up on little boys (or even girls should there be a co-ed school) and beating/buggering the crap out of them while all the time insisting on a code of omerta that precludes any complaint to an outside party, is what made Britain great after all.

I mean, if you can exploit your own social, ethnic and religious peers to the sort of brutality for which "public" schools were famous, just think what you can do when let loose on the wogs and fuzzy wuzzies!!

It's what we're going to need in a post Brexit Britain keen to make its mark on the world.

Literally.

(He'll get a knighthood)

Advertisement