Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

3 years with the Leaf - options

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Top speed for an I3 is a joke ? wtf ? lol

Paid nearly the same for I3 as a 2nd hand Model S ? nope, 9 month old i3 V 4 year old Model s ? hmm.

Yeah Top speed doesn't mean that much when you're limited to 120 Kph legally.

And I don't live in the U.K and have to pay VRT, will have to pay import duties after Brexit on top of VRT !

Top speed is like 90mph in the i3

Thats like a Nissan Sunny from the 80's

Every ICE hatch with 170bhp can do 135mph+

That alone would seriously annoy me, some of us like to drive on.

4 year old Model S has a 4 year warranty, plus a far better and desirable car

Whats the warranty on i3?

You only pay vrt which is like 3k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Don't get me wrong though the i3 is a class car and you a good deal on the model you got from a main dealer

Best EV out there bar the Teslas imo

Only thing I don't like about the i3 rex is the top speed

Besides that it's perfect, but top speed sucks big time for me personally

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

What roads do you drive thierry14 where you can and do routinely drive at 100mph?! :)

Cant really see how 94mph could be seen as a blocker to you adopting EV. Surely the 0-100km/h figure would be much more interesting to you.

thierry14 wrote: »
    PCP is cheaper if you keep the car

Handing car back in PCP is the most expensive option by far

Are u going to hand i3 back or keep?

No, if I get a bank loan to clear the car over the same time I own the car for much more PM and suffer the full depreciation. No thanks.

This thing of not owning or handing back the car is annoying, I did not want to own the Leaf and have to trade it in for exactly the same issue, depreciation. It gets you no matter what you do.

PCP means I pay much less for the car PM than I would via bank loan for the amount of time I care to drive it.

thierry14 wrote: »

Are u going to hand i3 back or keep?

I haven't thought about that yet, it's a car I could live with a lot longer than the Leaf but in 3 years who knows.

Pay the 18 odd K balloon or put it to another car ?

I do absolutely love the i3 though and happy I found one with the right spec, it certainly was a rare find especially in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,796 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I haven't thought about that yet, it's a car I could live with a lot longer than the Leaf but in 3 years who knows.

Pay the 18 odd K balloon or put it to another car ?

I do absolutely love the i3 though and happy I found one with the right spec, it certainly was a rare find especially in Ireland.
    I would imagine that would depend on what EV is available in 3 years time.
    18k could get you a model S by then, or there may be no change at all due to the limitations in battery supply

Ah, we'll see, I'm not thinking that far ahead now. Just going to enjoy the 3 years and not think about it much for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

OP, one thing to think about that I don't think has been mentioned, is how is the battery in your leaf and how close are you to loosing a bar? If you do loose that bar will you still be able to do the potential 80km round trip commute without charging?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

mel.b wrote: »
    OP, one thing to think about that I don't think has been mentioned, is how is the battery in your leaf and how close are you to loosing a bar? If you do loose that bar will you still be able to do the potential 80km round trip commute without charging?

I have 12 bars after 67000km.I don't have Leaf Spy but I can't say that I've noticed any discernable reduction in range.It does drop a good bit during winter but nothing unusual there.

I have no concern about being able to do the commute.It'll be mostly urban driving,and the N7 in to Dublin from Naas which amounts to city traffic on weekdays.Looking on Google Maps,the trip will be closer to 70km.The only issue is that there isn't a lot left over should I need to make an extra trip after work.That shouldn't be too often though.

Just get something with more range, I can't tell you the difference that it makes when you need it.

It's good that the current car meets most of your driving like it did for me but when you need the extra range and don't have it it can be a right pain especially if you have to wait 40 mins at a fast charger particularly when the battery is cold, the 24 Kwh really is slow charging.

How about a 30 Kwh Leaf with 6.6 Kw charger ? charges faster but pretty sure cold will slow it down a bit but overall it's faster than the 24 Kwh.

If you can find a 2nd hand Ioniq at a good price, that would be better or just get the new 40 Kwh Leaf, that would be better again. If I had the option of Ioniq or 40 Kwh Leaf then I'd choose the 40 Kwh Leaf.

If you had the 40 Kwh Leaf then you have the option to keep that a lot longer than the 24 Kwh because it will have more range.

200-250 Kms, you wouldn't know yourself !

I don't know myself now with the extra EV range and the Generator for backup if I need it, it's great.

In my honest opinion I wouldn't bother spending 9K to own the 24 Kwh leaf, put it to the 40 Kwh and keep that 8-10 years. Or wait until the 60 Kwh comes out and keep that, keep your 24 Kwh another year.

This saving money codology, if you think you'd be happier with a car with more range then the change would be very much worth it.

• Advertisement

So,several months later..I ended up buying out the Leaf.I had thought about waiting for a Kona but it's a little rich for my blood and I can't justify the price.Same goes for the 40kwh Leaf if I'm honest.

About a week ago,I came across a 2017 Zoe 40,battery owned with the Q90 quick charge and I've decided to trade my Leaf and go for it.Size wise it's fine for the two of us and while it lacks some of the refinement of the Leaf it does have the all important advantage of giving me extra range and I always had a soft spot for the Zoe.

The Leaf was an incredible car:77000 km in three and a half years and it still feels as refined as the day I collected it.It felt like a huge risk at the time but no regrets at all-not a moment's trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

So,several months later..I ended up buying out the Leaf.I had thought about waiting for a Kona but it's a little rich for my blood and I can't justify the price.Same goes for the 40kwh Leaf if I'm honest.

About a week ago,I came across a 2017 Zoe 40,battery owned with the Q90 quick charge and I've decided to trade my Leaf and go for it.Size wise it's fine for the two of us and while it lacks some of the refinement of the Leaf it does have the all important advantage of giving me extra range and I always had a soft spot for the Zoe.

The Leaf was an incredible car:77000 km in three and a half years and it still feels as refined as the day I collected it.It felt like a huge risk at the time but no regrets at all-not a moment's trouble.

Cool, well done.. do a Zoe owners thread please,how it's faring etc :)

Cool, well done.. do a Zoe owners thread please,how it's faring etc :)

Indeed,a Zoe thread is probably overdue.

Advertisement