Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

3 years with the Leaf - options

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

What does the VRC say? If it is 4, no matter how many Mutlimac magic one is going to do, the approved number of people doesn't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Ok so from now on I'll just talk about the Leaf ? good enough ? lol
    You won't be able to do that....

See you couldn't even make it through that post without mentioning the rex :D
    By the way, the 171 High Spec i3 Rex I got on PCP will only cost me roughly 4000 Euro's more than the Leaf so it's not that out of reach !!! and it's a far higher quality nicer to drive car.

So I've just received the letter from RCI outlining my options after my three year PCP expires in almost 3 months.I'm currently undecided as to what to do.

Option 1 - try to go for the new Leaf.It looks like a nice enough car but it would tie me into another 3 year PCP.I could probably afford it but I'm not sure whether it's such a sensible move.While the new Leaf would represent a big range improvement over my 24kwh (and there is something nice about a new car!), is it worth it? All this assumes I'll be able to get one.

Option 2 - I've been trying to keep an eye out for a used Zoe 40.This seems to make a lot more sense than PCP.I'm not a badge snob and the car would be big enough for just the two of us.I like the idea of being able to use standard chargers to their full potential.I have exceeded my mileage on the Leaf by about 8000km so Nissan would hit me for that if I simply hand back the car, plus no doubt they'll find a few scratches.

Option 3 - Keep the current Leaf for approx €9k. I can afford to buy it out and be done with credit, for now.I really like the car, it's served me well and I don't need to use the public charging network too often.

How come your GFMV is 9 k ? mine was 12,400 ? what were you paying per month and how much did you put down in the beginning ? I paid about 458 PM with 5K down 30,000 Kms a year.

If you're not going to use it much then buy it if it's only going to cost 9K then you can choose what to do later on. My GFMV was 12,500 so I was not prepared to put that in to buying it with such limited range and slow charging on DC.

I would never buy a Zoe, it's quiet underpowered but that's me, and I am not a fan of Renault interiors.

You have a lot more options now than in 2015. I would never have put the guts of 10 K into the Leaf, never mind 12,400 to own it not with the driving I do + I really wanted to change.

As it stands if I were buying a brand new EV I'd find it hard not to get an Ioniq, as it's quite simply the best EV out there on the mainstream (ie non-tesla) market.

Something like this:
    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201711020884707?sort=price-asc&make=HYUNDAI&advertising-location=at_cars&radius=1500&fuel-type=Electric&postcode=ig61lu&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&page=1

Cheaper than a Zoe/Leaf and a much better car to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

By the way, the 171 High Spec i3 Rex I got on PCP will only cost me roughly 4000 Euro's more than the Leaf so it's not that out of reach !!! and it's a far higher quality nicer to drive car.

...any memes...yes there are...

brace-yourselves-bmw-i3-press-releases-are-coming.jpg

...in fairness if I could I would....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Who said you can't have 3 seats in the i3 ?

First off, thats another €1500.... for child seats!!!

And as others have said, I'd be concerned about invalidating insurance by putting that in.

I would never have put the guts of 10 K into the Leaf, never mind 12,400 to own it not with the driving I do + I really wanted to change.

You're funny sometimes Mad_Lad! You put €22k into your Leaf and handed it back after 3 years.

The €9k he has an option on, is a good choice based on what he has detailed.... new job coming up which could change his commute, the car is worth more than €9k and by owning it he has more flexibility on when and how he changes rather than being forced to make a decision based on PCP dates.

ELM327 wrote: »
    You won't be able to do that....

See you couldn't even make it through that post without mentioning the rex :D

Well put it like this, I've no intentions being dictated to what I should say , do , write, etc.

Before the EV section was created I got a lot of abuse, bit of an understatement really, from people for me even mentioning the Leaf. I wanted to spread the word and low and behold after a long time pestering we now have an EV section here on Boards. Some of these people are now actually EV owners and are here in the EV section !

So I'm entitled to talk about whatever I want thanks.

Well put it like this, I've no intentions being dictated to what I should say , do , write, etc.

Before the EV section was created I got a lot of abuse, bit of an understatement really, from people for me even mentioning the Leaf. I wanted to spread the word and low and behold after a long time pestering we now have an EV section here on Boards. Some of these people are now actually EV owners and are here in the EV section !

So I'm entitled to talk about whatever I want thanks.
    Ah chill out man I'm only having a laugh. Sure I get accused the whole time of dragging threads off topic etc.

Go on about the rex if you want or whatever you deem necessary :D

PCP seems to have worked then for the Leaf anywway...

KCross wrote: »
    First off, thats another €1500.... for child seats!!!

And as others have said, I'd be concerned about invalidating insurance by putting that in.
    A phone call is all it takes to find out !

KCross wrote: »
    You're funny sometimes Mad_Lad! You put €22k into your Leaf and handed it back after 3 years.

The €9k he has an option on, is a good choice based on what he has detailed.... new job coming up which could change his commute, the car is worth more than €9k and by owning it he has more flexibility on when and how he changes rather than being forced to make a decision based on PCP dates.

I paid 22 K to drive the Leaf 3 years beats spending 31K to drive it 5 years like people would do if they went HP or normal bank loan. Why would I have done this ? when I never intended to keep it in the first place.

It was nice to have more options this time around.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    PCP seems to have worked then for the Leaf anywway...

PCP just works whatever way you look at it, I went in with the worst intentions that being I'd have no deposit going forward, however, if I had bought via bank loan I would have paid higher interest + suffered the full depreciation of the car and most likely have to have driven it 5 years or pay 800 PM. No thanks.

grogi wrote: »
    What does the VRC say? If it is 4, no matter how many Mutlimac magic one is going to do, the approved number of people doesn't change.

Doesn't matter though as the seat is designed for carrying Children not Adults. If you have to carry 3 Children then there's a solution for it. If not then get a 5 seater. Though a lot of 5 seaters in Europe shouldn't really be classed as 5 seaters anyway.

ELM327 wrote: »
    As it stands if I were buying a brand new EV I'd find it hard not to get an Ioniq, as it's quite simply the best EV out there on the mainstream (ie non-tesla) market.

Cheaper than a Zoe/Leaf and a much better car to boot.

I'd have the Ioniq any day over the Zoe 40, Zoe 40 will beat the Ioniq particularly at slower speeds but at high speeds the Ioniq won't have a huge amount less range.

Ioniq is a lot nicer than the Zoe inside too and more powerful, larger, that's a no brainer.

Zoe is dead above 80 Kph would hate to drive it with the extra weight of the 40 Kwh and imaging they now have a 75 Hp version too ? Christ !

Zoe reminds me of an Old Skool Non turbo diesel, apart from the rattle and noise of course, but it's like renault think that low power means more range saving energy, while that's true to a point, if they gave it 120 HP it wouldn't get less range it would just mean it's a lot nicer to drive !

Renault just don't get it !

It's laughable that they have no other EV model either same as Nissan. Joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Mad_Lad

For the money you paid on the i3 people have bought Teslas with 400bhp and 4 year/80k warranties for cash in the UK

They are nearly 40k now for S85 which blows the doors off an i3 and nearly everything else on the road

i3 is a grand little yoke but it's not without its flaws

Its top speed for instance is a ****ing joke

170bhp and a 98 Micra has a higher top speed

Thats just embarrassing

Know way would I buy one for that reason alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

How come your GFMV is 9 k ? mine was 12,400 ? what were you paying per month and how much did you put down in the beginning ? I paid about 458 PM with 5K down 30,000 Kms a year.

If you're not going to use it much then buy it if it's only going to cost 9K then you can choose what to do later on. My GFMV was 12,500 so I was not prepared to put that in to buying it with such limited range and slow charging on DC.

I would never buy a Zoe, it's quiet underpowered but that's me, and I am not a fan of Renault interiors.

You have a lot more options now than in 2015. I would never have put the guts of 10 K into the Leaf, never mind 12,400 to own it not with the driving I do + I really wanted to change.

I put in the maximum deposit at the start (can't remember the exact amount) and went for 20,000km a year.It cost me approximately 20000 a month.Bear in mind I had the SV model whereas yours was the SVE (I think).

I do like the i3 well enough actually but it wouldn't offer me enough extra to justify the extra expense.The biggest gain would be the convenience of the range extender but it just doesn't make a lot of sense for me.

Doesn't matter though as the seat is designed for carrying Children not Adults. If you have to carry 3 Children then there's a solution for it. If not then get a 5 seater. Though a lot of 5 seaters in Europe shouldn't really be classed as 5 seaters anyway.

Solution is simple - Don't buy an i3.

Carboard seats, Multimac or putting them in the boot - doesn't matter. You cannot have five people in an i3. Period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

beauf wrote: »
    The decision really sounds like it's down to range anxiety for occasional longer trips..

Yeah,pretty much.Most of my longer trips have been to visit family in Tipperary,which involves a stop on the way and a stop on the way back.I can live with that.If the new job requires me to travel to meetings or anything like that it will be a different story but I'll wait and see first.

Yeah,pretty much.Most of my longer trips have been to visit family in Tipperary,which involves a stop on the way and a stop on the way back.I can live with that.If the new job requires me to travel to meetings or anything like that it will be a different story but I'll wait and see first.

Absolutely. If it suits your needs, it would only be snobbery that could justify getting a newer car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭KCross

So I've just received the letter from RCI outlining my options after my three year PCP expires in almost 3 months.I'm currently undecided as to what to do.

Added to this I'm starting a new job in a fortnight.I'm either going to be travelling by train, in which case my use will fall dramatically, or I can drive.If I do drive, my Leaf will easily be able to handle the commute (80km round trip,in traffic).I don't know whether the new job will involve travelling for work purposes so that would probably inform my thinking.

It sounds like you can't make any decision really until you know your work situation. If your mileage drops significantly you will have wasted a huge amount of money on Option 1.

Option 3 seems the sensible thing if you are forced to make a decision on the basis that the car is worth at least what you are paying for it. You said you are happy with it and you know its history. You then have flexibility on what your next move is later in the year or next or whenever.

Maybe go for option 1 in 191 where you will have the ability to pick/choose from all the options whereas now you can only order the 2.zero spec which isn't cheap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

You have broken the golden rule on here.....talk about a car that is not a Leaf!!!!!

Shame on you:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

thierry14 wrote: »
    Mad_Lad

For the money you paid on the i3 people have bought Teslas with 400bhp and 4 year/80k warranties for cash in the UK

They are nearly 40k now for S85 which blows the doors off an i3 and nearly everything else on the road

Thats just embarrassing

Out of interest, what do you drive?

...Drives i3 owners crazy...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

This isn't the i3 discussion thread lads... nor the free speech protest thread.... back OT.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

A phone call is all it takes to find out !

I paid 22 K to drive the Leaf 3 years beats spending 31K to drive it 5 years like people would do if they went HP or normal bank loan. Why would I have done this ? when I never intended to keep it in the first place.

It was nice to have more options this time around.

It would have been owned after 5 years though. The op can buy his car and take his time making a decision.

OP if you want a new car just get it, you only die once.

thierry14 wrote: »
    Mad_Lad

Thats just embarrassing

Top speed for an I3 is a joke ? wtf ? lol

Paid nearly the same for I3 as a 2nd hand Model S ? nope, 9 month old i3 V 4 year old Model s ? hmm.

Yeah Top speed doesn't mean that much when you're limited to 120 Kph legally.

And I don't live in the U.K and have to pay VRT, will have to pay import duties after Brexit on top of VRT !

If you go for a new leaf on pcp vs buy your own and sell it. Then buy a new one. Which gives you the better deal on a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

goz83 wrote: »
    It would have been owned after 5 years though.

Indeed. So PCP 22k/3 years = 7k per year
    Buying outright (31k - 10k end value) / 5 years = 4k per year

PCP costs almost twice as much as buying the car!

unkel wrote: »
    Indeed. So PCP 22k/3 years = 7k per year
    Buying outright (31k - 10k end value) / 5 years = 4k per year

PCP costs almost twice as much as buying the car!

What ? how do you make this out ?

It was way cheaper for me to get PCP at the time because bank loans were about 12% v 7-8 if I remember correctly for interest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

What ? how do you make this out ?

It was way cheaper for me to get PCP at the time because bank loans were about 12% v 7-8 if I remember correctly for interest.

PCP is cheaper if you keep the car

Handing car back in PCP is the most expensive option by far

Are u going to hand i3 back or keep?

Advertisement