Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

3 years with the Leaf - options

Options
  • 22-01-2018 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭

So I've just received the letter from RCI outlining my options after my three year PCP expires in almost 3 months.I'm currently undecided as to what to do.

Option 1 - try to go for the new Leaf.It looks like a nice enough car but it would tie me into another 3 year PCP.I could probably afford it but I'm not sure whether it's such a sensible move.While the new Leaf would represent a big range improvement over my 24kwh (and there is something nice about a new car!), is it worth it? All this assumes I'll be able to get one.

Option 2 - I've been trying to keep an eye out for a used Zoe 40.This seems to make a lot more sense than PCP.I'm not a badge snob and the car would be big enough for just the two of us.I like the idea of being able to use standard chargers to their full potential.I have exceeded my mileage on the Leaf by about 8000km so Nissan would hit me for that if I simply hand back the car, plus no doubt they'll find a few scratches.

Option 3 - Keep the current Leaf for approx €9k. I can afford to buy it out and be done with credit, for now.I really like the car, it's served me well and I don't need to use the public charging network too often.

I suppose I'm trying to think out the most logical option.The Leaf does serve me well for most of my journeys but the extra range would almost entirely eliminate any anxiety I feel about taking longer trips, particularly in winter where I've had one or two close shaves.

Added to this I'm starting a new job in a fortnight.I'm either going to be travelling by train, in which case my use will fall dramatically, or I can drive.If I do drive, my Leaf will easily be able to handle the commute (80km round trip,in traffic).I don't know whether the new job will involve travelling for work purposes so that would probably inform my thinking.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Electricautos have a Zoe 40 coming in, would be worth giving them a shout and see what it will cost. That will decide if that is option or now.

New car would be nice, it always is but without the terms of the PCP not sure anyone can tell you if good option. The credit rating could be shocking etc etc so hard to recommend.

Not sure of Spec etc to see if 9k is good value for current Leaf. Again when talking to Phil might be worth asking him how much he thinks your is worth.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I'm assuming you have an Acenta? If it works for you, then get out of the PCP and buy the car. 9k is about right for a 3 year old Acenta and you know the car from day 1, which is a bonus.

I personally don't like the Zoe, so I won't discuss my opinion there, other than to say that any long journey can't be comfortable in one of those.

The temptation to get the new Leaf would only make sense if your current one is not going to work for you anymore....so, if your new job requires some extra travel, the new Leaf might be a better option. Work charging would be nice too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

goz83 wrote: »
    I'm assuming you have an Acenta? If it works for you, then get out of the PCP and buy the car. 9k is about right for a 3 year old Acenta and you know the car from day 1, which is a bonus.

I personally don't like the Zoe, so I won't discuss my opinion there, other than to say that any long journey can't be comfortable in one of those.

The temptation to get the new Leaf would only make sense if your current one is not going to work for you anymore....so, if your new job requires some extra travel, the new Leaf might be a better option. Work charging would be nice too ;)

Yes, it's the SV model (which I think is the same as the Acenta?).I have the cold pack and 6.6kw charger.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Electricautos have a Zoe 40 coming in, would be worth giving them a shout and see what it will cost. That will decide if that is option or now.

New car would be nice, it always is but without the terms of the PCP not sure anyone can tell you if good option. The credit rating could be shocking etc etc so hard to recommend.

Not sure of Spec etc to see if 9k is good value for current Leaf. Again when talking to Phil might be worth asking him how much he thinks your is worth.....

Yeah, I'm aware of Phil (I live in Naas) and given his reputation he'd be my first port of call if I do decide to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Review all options, get a quote on a new leaf and a new or nearly new Zoe if they do PCP. The dealer can clear your finance.

Buying out seems good as you know the car and it meets your needs. Again you can cost re loan and interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Yes, it's the SV model (which I think is the same as the Acenta?).I have the cold pack and 6.6kw charger.

Yes, Acenta is SV.

It would cost 10k to bring from the UK what you have....mileage depending. I brought in a 142 Acenta 6.6 which will have cost ~€12k after everything is totted up. Mileage was under 9k miles and the car is immaculate. So 9k isn't bad to pay off if the car will still suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

goz83 wrote: »
    Yes, Acenta is SV.

It would cost 10k to bring from the UK what you have....mileage depending. I brought in a 142 Acenta 6.6 which will have cost ~€12k after everything is totted up. Mileage was under 9k miles and the car is immaculate. So 9k isn't bad to pay off if the car will still suit you.

That would be my thinking too. €9k is good value compared to what someone would have to pay for a 3yo SV with 6.6.

Plus, you've taken the depreciation hit by this stage. Buying new again will only put you back into paying max depreciation again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Imho I'd stick with the car. If it suits your needs why change.

Thanks for the advice, it's all been a big help.

The depreciation aspect is one which hadn't really occurred to me, but should. If I do make the balloon payment and own the car outright, I'll be fully free to trade it or sell it on if my needs change with not a huge amount of extra loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

The depreciation aspect is one which hadn't really occurred to me, but should. If I do make the balloon payment and own the car outright, I'll be fully free to trade it or sell it on if my needs change with not a huge amount of extra loss.

Yep.

Plus if you do decide to trade it or sell it on after paying the balloon, you'll probably get a fair bit more than the €9k it will have cost you. Have you looked at the value for similar age/spec/condition LEAFs on the usual sites? My guess is they're probably in the €12-13k range.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

If your going to sell on soon depreciation will kill your running coats

Its depreciated more than half its value in 3 years, 100e a week for 3 years

Its madness selling now, keeping it 10 years plus is the way to go with EVs if they are as reliable as people say

Different with ICE as modern diesels etc are time bombs out of warranty, EVs shouldnt be

• Registered Users Posts: 12,312 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Imho I'd stick with the car. If it suits your needs why change.

My thoughts also

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Get an I3 Rex, I love it , no range anxiety and free if I want from the public network ! It's a lot of fun !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Madlad thats your answer to everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

ELM327 wrote: »
    Madlad  thats your answer to everything.
    Did he buy a Rex? You would have never known !

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭oinkely

Get an I3 Rex, I love it , no range anxiety and free if I want from the public network ! It's a lot of fun !

a nice option if you don't need 3 seats in the back! Should have kept it in my pants ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭KCross

oinkely wrote: »
    a nice option if you don't need 3 seats in the back! Should have kept it in my pants ;-)

A nice option to reduce dependence on the public infrastructure but apart from that its lacking from a practicality perspective.... 4 seats (thats me out), the rear doors are just silly if you have kids and the price is even more silly.

Who said you can't have 3 seats in the i3 ?

CAY9W2HWEAAyMWd.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/multimacseat/status/578217070984298496

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Great to hear mad_lad. Let's all buy a i3 REX now.

So because I now drive an I3 I should never recommend one ? or is there something else the matter with me owning one and talking about it ?

Cop on lads.

• Advertisement

So because I now drive an I3 I should never recommend one ? or is there something else the matter with me owning one and talking about it ?

Cop on lads.

The REX is the new BOSE.

samih wrote: »
    The REX is the new BOSE.

What ?

The Rex is at least useful, BOSE was utter shyte in the Leaf.

What ?

Not going to get on this, just that you have tendency to sound like broken record sometimes. Peace man, just please we all know that the Irish network is not the best but this thread or the tesla thread or the Leaf 40 kWh threads are not about i3 REX.

Just so that I don't appear to derail this thread fully: In my opinion whatever you do don't just hand in the car. If it suits you going forward and you don't really fancy a change (which I feel might be the case), the balloon payment is the way to go. Nissan are probably going to offer you a better trade in than say Hyundai or BMW so this is another alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Cop on lads.

It's not a viable alternative for many due to cost. Just like the the answer to what 500 laptop should I buy is not always a 1500 MacBook...

Man this mobile site with multi quotes is a pita

Mancomb wrote:
    Added to this I'm starting a new job in a fortnight.I'm either going to be travelling by train, in which case my use will fall dramatically, or I can drive.If I do drive, my Leaf will easily be able to handle the commute (80km round trip,in traffic).I don't know whether the new job will involve travelling for work purposes so that would probably inform my thinking.

The decision really sounds like it's down to range anxiety for occasional longer trips..

samih wrote: »
    Not going to get on this, just that you have tendency to sound like broken record sometimes. Peace man, just please we all know that the Irish network is not the best but this thread or the tesla thread or the Leaf 40 kWh threads are not about i3 REX.

Get over it, you don't like what I type there are other forums......

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    It's not a viable alternative for many due to cost. Just like the the answer to what 500 laptop should I buy is not always a 1500 MacBook...

Ok so from now on I'll just talk about the Leaf ? good enough ? lol

By the way, the 171 High Spec i3 Rex I got on PCP will only cost me roughly 4000 Euro's more than the Leaf so it's not that out of reach !!! and it's a far higher quality nicer to drive car.

Advertisement