Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jordan Peterson interview on C4

Options

Comments

I have a B.A in philosophy.;)

I have a Bachelor in Psychology, and I still don't think I know that much about it.

Whereas I have a Bachelor in Finance and a MBA, but it's my experience working in the field, that makes me think I know a fair bit. Simply having a degree guarantees very little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Urethral Buttercup

I have a Bachelor in Psychology, and I still don't think I know that much about it.

Whereas I have a Bachelor in Finance and a MBA, but it's my experience working in the field, that makes me think I know a fair bit. Simply having a degree guarantees very little.

I've a degree in philosophy also and can confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Peterson has no degree in philosophy and no experience in it. And at a glance anyone can tell he hasn't a clue about it. So much so i don't even bother with him.

But you have a good point he probably knows nothing about psychology either.

If it gets kids reading Freud, and Jung, and Nietzsche and Marx well that's something.

It obviously isn't getting them to read them. They just like ...JP clubs seal like leftie to death etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 logseman

Most people are addicted to their smartphones, they're designed to be addictive. Do you disagree that smartphones are addictive?

Yes, I disagree. Smartphones by themselves are not addictive. If you download applications that are meant to be addictive such as slot machines... sorry, free-to-play games with microtransactions, or social networks/messaging clients designed to drive engagement and keep you inside them, then you're enabling addiction no doubt. There's also a lot of stuff that has been outsourced to the smartphone as it is simpler and more convenient to do it from there.

However, if you want to say that doing your banking, searching for flights, reading, using a translator, calculating stuff quickly, etc. is addictive, I am not going to stop you.

• Advertisement

Peterson has no degree in philosophy and no experience in it. And at a glance anyone can tell he hasn't a clue about it. So much so i don't even bother with him.

But you have a good point he probably knows nothing about psychology either.

Not my point. He's worked as a Psychologist, and taught it as a professor. So, I suspect he's well read on the areas he has an interest in. Teaching a subject encourages one to cover your bases well. I've been caught out by student questions regarding Business Ethics, and needed to read beyond what was covered within my degrees or past experiences. I would imagine Peterson has had to do the same considering how many public appearance's he's made.

Psychology tends to cross over with philosophy at times, as it does with many other disciplines (like ethics).. There is a cross over, so, I also suspect he's done a fair amount of reading about Philosophy. Not an expert but a dabbler.

I've a degree in philosophy also and can confirm.

Confirming which though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

He has made friends with neo nazis.

Neo nazi has become a meaningless term because people like you hurl it constantly at people who disagree with you.
    He constantly ties race and IQ together. Some races are just smarter than others.

Evidence suggests that IQ is a trait, like all other traits, that differs among races. Asian people seem to have higher IQs on average than Caucasians on average. I did not explode upon hearing that even thoimugh I am Caucasian. IQ can be changed like other traits over evolutionary time, both up and downwards. IQ appears to have peaked in some places, like Europe, the Flynn effect. I also have not exploded reading about that as a European.
    He constantly fights SJWS who make it their cause to oppose racism homophobia etc. Why is he always on the opposite side ?

So called SJWs often pursue deeply irrational causes and back up their talk about their supposedly superior goodness with threat of violence. I have no objection to any challenge to irrationality.
    His entire career was founded on the Human rights code in Canada being extended to trans people.

He was one hundred percent correct to challenge compelled speech whereby people are forced to disavow truth in order to be politically correct. Trans activists have been seeking far more than "human rights". The actions and activism of those extremist idealogues, whereby at a foundational level they must insist upon the chemical and surgical castration of vulnerable youth, will one day soon be seen as utterly reprehensible.

Not my point. He's worked as a Psychologist, and taught it as a professor

Court ruled he wasn't an expert and his opinion was dubious. :P

Jordan Peterson was called as an expert witness on a murder trial. The court called his expert status 'DUBIOUS'

https://pressprogress.ca/jordan-peterson-was-an-expert-witness-in-a-murder-trial-the-court-called-his-expert-opinions-dubious/

So legally he isn't an expert.
    Manitoba‘s highest court said Jordan Peterson’s “dubious expert opinion” was “unreliable” and “unnecessarily complicated” a murder trial

The judge ruled his opinions lacked scientific basis and was unreliable.

A guy killed two people his best friend was one of them. He confused but later withdrew his confession. Peterson was called as an expert witness on false memory. The court ruled he wasn't an expert and his opinion lacked scientific basis and was DUBIOUS!
    Ruling on “the admissibility of expert evidence on false confessions” in January 2012, Manitoba Justice Shawn Greenberg ruled three-quarters of Peterson’s evidence was inadmissible and questioned his credibility as an expert witness.

“Dr. Peterson has no experience” assessing “the reliability of confessions,” Justice Greenberg wrote in her ruling.
    Justice Greenberg also appeared puzzled by Peterson’s testimony on false memories.

During a police interview, the defendant initially claimed he could not remember whether or not he killed his friend – the judge noted that Peterson “accepted” this explanation “without question.”

As Justice Greenberg observed: “being questioned about the death of a friend is not like being asked if one had remembered to turn off the stove.”

HE IS LEGALLY DUBIOUS!

Gynoid wrote: »

Trans activists have been seeking far more than "human rights". The actions and activism of those extremist idealogues, whereby at a foundational level they must insist upon the chemical and surgical castration of vulnerable youth, will one day soon be seen as utterly reprehensible.

So you admit you and he don't like trans people.

I mean you have just said some pretty transphobic things right there.

The chemical castration of vulnerable youth??? WUT????

• Advertisement

Court ruled he wasn't an expert and his opinion was dubious. :P

Which goes no way to discredit/refute what I posted.

Obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Urethral Buttercup

Confirming which though?

That by not practicing it as a vocation it's hard to retain the knowledge and expertise you gain in liberal arts.

And the above is why someone like JP was welcomed so much by many males on the internet.

That by not practicing it as a vocation it's hard to retain the knowledge and expertise.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Which goes no way to discredit/refute what I posted.

Obviously.

He is legally dubious.

Neo nazi has become a meaningless term because people like you hurl it constantly at people who disagree with you.

What do you mean ...people like me?

He is legally dubious.

No, he wasn't a good expert at a court case.

Were his professional qualifications, and licenses revoked?

And the post you replied to with the court case info, doesn't need him to be a good expert at a court case to be true.

No, he wasn't a good expert at a court case.

Were his professional qualifications, and licenses revoked?

And the post you replied to with the court case info, doesn't need him to be a good expert at a court case to be true.

You are entirely missing the point.

The man was eventually convicted of double murder.

Peterson was found to be giving a Dubious opinion in defense of that man who had previously confessed to that double murder.

Its morally questionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

And the above is why someone like JP was welcomed so much by many males on the internet.

Yeah. Some people really want to see someone stick the boot into people who they see as different. "nobody cares about me as a white man so why should anyone care about trans people?".

Some people really prefer the idea of tearting down other people to encouraging compassion for themselves and others.

You are entirely missing the point.

The man was eventually convicted of double murder.

Peterson was found to be giving a Dubious opinion in defense of that man who had previously confessed to that double murder.

Its morally questionable.

Which doesn't counter what I originally said. Your post about the Trial case doesn't counter it.

He was chosen as an expert for the case, and the judge found his expert opinion wanting. That doesn't legally change his expertise, which you have tried to suggest. That simply says that he was wrong in the eyes of the law for that case.

Sure, it's morally questionable... but then I find your post to Gynoid about trans-phobia to be morally questionable too.

• Advertisement

Some people really prefer the idea of tearting down other people to encouraging compassion for themselves and others.

Really sad Peterson couldn't ask for compassion for himself.

Maybe he looked at the company he was keeping and couldn't see it coming from them.....so he thought we were all like that.

I doubt the people who watch his videos would be so forgiving to a 'junkie' on the street.

Which doesn't counter what I originally said. Your post about the Trial case doesn't counter it.

He was chosen as an expert for the case, and the judge found his expert opinion wanting. That doesn't legally change his expertise, which you have tried to suggest. That simply says that he was wrong in the eyes of the law for that case.

Sure, it's morally questionable... but then I find your post to Gynoid about trans-phobia to be morally questionable too.
    Yes it does. He was found legally not to be an expert.

Gynoid seems to equate trans people with the forced chemical castration of young people???

uh ..wut!!

I probably like genuine transsexual people more than you do, because I do not like to see them or their experiences being used a blunt force/ cannon fodder in a radical ideological war. Many trans people agree among those I regularly read.

Gynoid seems to equate trans people with the forced chemical castration of young people???

uh ..wut!!

He was not found legally not to be an expert. His expert advice was dismissed by the Judge. Any records of an investigation about his ability to be an expert? No? Were his professional qualifications as a psychologist revoked by any official organisation? no?

As for Gynoid, you could stick with what he said, rather going with what he seems to be saying...

I probably like genuine transsexual people more than you do, because I do not like to see them or their experiences being used a blunt force/ cannon fodder in a radical ideological war. Many trans people agree among those I regularly read.

Dude ...how many trans people do you know?

What WAR?

Maybe you should stop encountering the world through the net and start encountering it through people you meet.

He was not found legally not to be an expert. His expert advice was dismissed by the Judge. Any records of an investigation about his ability to be an expert? No? Were his professional qualifications as a psychologist revoked by any official organisation? no?

As for Gynoid, you could stick with what he said, rather going with what he seems to be saying...

Actually.......... https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/after-misconduct-complaint-jordan-peterson-agrees-to-plan-for-clinical-improvement

He has also had his fellowship revoked https://www.crisismagazine.com/2019/on-petersons-revoked-fellowship-to-cambridge-divinity-school

I did stick with what he said.

uh ..wut!!

Sorry, your fake and repeated expressions of shock and confusion are highly unconvincing. Rapid "affirmation" of gender identity in children has been vigorously pursued by trans lobbyists and gender clinics have fallen in line globally. Affirmation uses blockers first which halt maturation of gametes and sexual organs and thereafter cross sex hormones which causes sterility and in most cases impotency. Further surgery removes functioning sexual organs and attempts to replace them with organs which are generally faulty. This is pursued from childhood, from the age of 8 in many cases, with use of chemicals, and with removal of primary sexual organs happening from 16, and secondary sexual characteristics like breasts being removed from aged 12.

Quit the faux outrage.

"Peterson has no previous discipline findings, and no restrictions on his practice, through which he is authorized to provide clinical psychological services to adults in Ontario"

The underlined bit would cover your court case, and the article makes no mention of any licences being revoked. There wasn't even a discipline hearing. Your claims of him being legally dubious, or legally shown not to be an expert, are worthless.

Funny that you would provide an article that invalidates your claims. :pac:

Its just been reported Jordan Peterson is now neurologically damaged from the induced coma and cannot talk walk unaided or type. https://www.dailywire.com/news/jordan-peterson-almost-died-in-induced-coma-during-withdrawal-from-anxiety-drug-daughter-says

They say he almost died in that coma ..in russia.

• Advertisement

Sorry, your fake and repeated expressions of shock and confusion are highly unconvincing. Rapid "affirmation" of gender identity in children has been vigorously pursued by trans lobbyists and gender clinics have fallen in line globally. Affirmation uses blockers first which halt maturation of gametes and sexual organs and thereafter cross sex hormones which causes sterility and in most cases impotency. Further surgery removes functioning sexual organs and attempts to replace them with organs which are generally faulty. This is pursued from childhood, from the age of 8 in many cases, with use of chemicals, and with removal of primary sexual organs happening from 16, and secondary sexual characteristics like breasts being removed from aged 12.

Quit the faux outrage.

What the heck are you talking about?

Advertisement