Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gangland Shootings [Mod Note in Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

So why was Patrick Hitch charged with possession?

I haven't a clue.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

That possession referred to the day of the shooting itself, aka the photo of him with the gun

He was charged with possession of 3 ak47s?

In that photo he’s holding a handgun.

That possession referred to the day of the shooting itself, aka the photo of him with the gun

That was a pistol, and it hasn't been proven it was him dressed as a woman.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭spider baby 172

He was charged with possession of 3 ak47s?

In that photo he’s holding a handgun.

To my knowledge we wasn't charged with possession of AK47's, he was charged with possession of firearms. Stemming from that photo with the handgun. That's all they had on him. I am open to corrections

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

Re: CCTV, that person standing at reception was very lucky. The shooter vaults the desk, to see if s/he is a legitimate target. Very calm and collected shooters.

ifElseThen wrote: »
    Re: CCTV, that person standing at reception was very lucky. The shooter vaults the desk, to see if s/he is a legitimate target. Very calm and collected shooters.

Strange choice of words.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

ifElseThen wrote: »

It was BBC Northern Ireland sports journalist Kevin McAnena that was in reception at the time.

https://www.balls.ie/boxing/bbc-journalist-regency-hotel-shooting-323646

wrote:

I was just on my way out of the function room that the weigh-in was in. I was walking through the coridoor and I had just got into the lobby; people were filing out.

I noticed panic, people had started running and shoving and pushing. I didn't know what was going on, I thought maybe a fist fight had broken out behind them. I actually looked at the receptionist and I asked 'What's going on?'

Next thing, just on the steps outside, I heard two gunshots, two really loud bangs. Two men came in holding AK-47 rifles. They were dressed in Garda uniforms. One of them ran ahead and by this point, most people had ran out. I almost kind of froze and one other guy ran across the middle of the lobby and one of the guys with the guns turned and shot him in the lower leg and he went down. He was possibly just six feet from me. That's the guy [David Byrne] who has now died.

At that point, I jumped over the receptionist's desk and got on the ground. I started shouting 'Don't shoot, don't shoot' because I could hear more gunfire from the other side.

At that point, the gunman leaned over the receptionist's desk and looked down at me, pointing the gun down at me at this point. I was still shouting 'Don't shoot'. He said something, but I can't recall now, and he left.

That was the end of the episode really. I didn't hear anymore gunfire after that as far as I am aware.

He's holding the gun down at me and I'm looking down the barrel of the gun. At this point, I think I'm going to die. I never knew the meaning of the word terrified until this afternoon. I just said 'Don't shoot, don't shoot'. I think I actually said 'I'm innocent' in the middle of this, he left then.

I stayed hidden down there for a minute or so before I scuttled off into the backroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The AK47 charge is one of the reasons I'm convinced that the incident with the photo ID damaged the legitimacy of some kind of warrant. As I see it, the only way they'd charge him specifically with possession of the guns would have been by searching his house or analysing electronic devices belonging to him, in which he may have discussed the guns, or the collection and transport thereof. There's no evidence in the public domain tying him as the specific individual who had the guns in his possession prior to or after the shooting, so in order to charge him with that, they must have obtained further evidence suggesting that he did indeed possess them at some stage.

This would suggest that they searched him, his phones / computers, or placed him under some kind of surveillance. All of this would require probable cause, and the only probable cause at the time was that two separate Gardaí had claimed to have recognised him in the photograph.

This could well be the poisoned tree discussed in previous pages.

• Advertisement

Strange choice of words.

It's very well established that the hit team had an extremely specific list of targets and knew exactly who they were and were not aiming to assassinate. Multiple witnesses have stated that they clearly selected specific individuals to shoot at and didn't merely start spraying bullets indiscriminately as some have claimed - one of them was described as frantically walking around inside the venue while shouting "I can't find him, he's not here" in relation to one target, who most assume to have been Daniel Kinahan.

It's a shame this kind of specificity wasn't followed on the day that Martin O'Rourke was mistaken for a different person and shot on Sheriff St:

https://www.thejournal.ie/martin-orourke-shooting-inquest-4391007-Dec2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

is_that_so wrote: »
    There's already a new party, courtesy of Peadar Toibin. SDs are a vanity project and will evaporate once the ladies step down.

Peadar has made it clear at his meetings that he has no issue with the current immigration policies except for DP which he wants done away it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Can joint enterprise be considered for firearm possession?

If so that would easily explain the charge against PH

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

Interesting thread. I've always wondered who was holding the AKs? We can see the 'woman' and 'flatcap' but there were others too.

Also, and slightly off topic, I think we can all agree that Paul Williams is one of the worst scumbags that this country has ever suffered.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

hankless wrote: »
    Interesting thread. I've always wondered who was holding the AKs? We can see the 'woman' and 'flatcap' but there were others too.

Also, and slightly off topic, I think we can all agree that Paul Williams is one of the worst scumbags that this country has ever suffered.

How come no one has ever taken a pop at him?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

It's very well established that the hit team had an extremely specific list of targets and knew exactly who they were and were not aiming to assassinate. Multiple witnesses have stated that they clearly selected specific individuals to shoot at and didn't merely start spraying bullets indiscriminately as some have claimed - one of them was described as frantically walking around inside the venue while shouting "I can't find him, he's not here" in relation to one target, who most assume to have been Daniel Kinahan.

It's a shame this kind of specificity wasn't followed on the day that Martin O'Rourke was mistaken for a different person and shot on Sheriff St:

https://www.thejournal.ie/martin-orourke-shooting-inquest-4391007-Dec2018/

Yeah, I gathered that myself from reading the reports in the media too.

What point are you trying to make?

I'd say he has had a good few credible threats in his time, but he has always had massive security from the gardai. The thing is he doesn't seem to do any real investigative journalism anymore, just putting out pure sh**e and propaganda to get clicks, sell papers books etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

How many people has he killed, assaulted or intimidated? how many lives did he ruin with drugs? how many people live in fear of him and his associates?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Regarding the AK47's. You don't actually have to be holding or have in your personal possession an item to be charged with possession. Being part of a group where one individual is holding something would leave you open to a possession charge, in the same way that you can be charged with murder without being the one that actually killed someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

At this stage we need to review who Ireland has admitted into the country.

As I’ve previously said please think carefully about your vote in the next election

Fg ff sf lab greens ppl before profit etc have no intention whatsoever of changing the current situation.

The damage is well done by now, these are second and in some cases third generation, and tbh I don't think they're the problem specifically, as they don't act any different to the gangs of teenage scumbags we have to deal with around here.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I gathered that myself from reading the reports in the media too.

What point are you trying to make?

Just when you questioned the use of the phrase 'legitimate target', it seems to me that these guys very definitely had specific targets and weren't interested in attacking anyone else. I thought you were musing that they didn't care one way or another, but it's seemed to me from the start that this was far more organised than a "shoot everything that moves and hope you get the right guy" kind of raid.

Just when you questioned the use of the phrase 'legitimate target', it seems to me that these guys very definitely had specific targets and weren't interested in attacking anyone else. I thought you were musing that they didn't care one way or another, but it's seemed to me from the start that this was far more organised than a "shoot everything that moves and hope you get the right guy" kind of raid.

I still question the use of the phrase "legitimate target".

It's blatantly obvious to everyone with any degree of common sense that these lads were not on a mission as you describe above.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He gets his wife to start his car every morning

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

He gets his wife to start his car every morning

You mean someone actually lives with him of their own free will? :eek:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

You mean someone actually lives with him of their own free will? :eek:

Oh lawdy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

El_Bee wrote: »
    How many people has he killed, assaulted or intimidated? how many lives did he ruin with drugs? how many people live in fear of him and his associates?

Plenty actually, due to his lies in the paper making people paranoid .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

El_Bee wrote: »

The post is obviously hyperbole but Williams' reporting in the Maurice McCabe story was pretty scummy.

I still question the use of the phrase "legitimate target".

It's blatantly obvious to everyone with any degree of common sense that these lads were not on a mission as you describe above.

How do you mean? What type of mission do you think they were on?

Its very strange. It was obviously a thought out attack, with the timing, location, costumes, weapons and get away vehicle etc.

But it was ultimately a major failure that achieved nothing but to anger the beast, which led to a single sided slaughter.

Wonder why they haven't tried anything again since?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

They weren’t aks.

That’s the strange thing.

The lads in the Garda uniforms had the aks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement