Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Tap Water safe to drink?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭divillybit

An interesting point,Chlorine doesn't smell unless there's fecal matter in the water. Stronger the smell,dirtier the water.[/QUOTE]

I had a good laugh at this line. Chlorine does smell even when mixed with clean filtered water. I work on the operation of water treatment plants. Adding chlorine to water with some residual organic material will create THM's which are potentially carcinogenic. But in fairness to Irish water they are upgrading the treatment plants where THM's were an issue. Residual chlorine levels in reservoirs are constantly monitored by in line chlorine monitors. If it goes too high or two low the plant operator is alerted by text message. In modern treatment plants the operator can dial in to the computer that runs the plant and increase dosing pump rates if needed. People criticise Irish Water but they have resolved the boil water notices in Roscommon for example with new water treatment plants..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

divillybit wrote: »
    An interesting point,Chlorine doesn't smell unless there's fecal matter in the water. Stronger the smell,dirtier the water.

I had a good laugh at this line. Chlorine does smell even when mixed with clean filtered water. I work on the operation of water treatment plants. Adding chlorine to water with some residual organic material will create THM's which are potentially carcinogenic. But in fairness to Irish water they are upgrading the treatment plants where THM's were an issue. Residual chlorine levels in reservoirs are constantly monitored by in line chlorine monitors. If it goes too high or two low the plant operator is alerted by text message. In modern treatment plants the operator can dial in to the computer that runs the plant and increase dosing pump rates if needed. People criticise Irish Water but they have resolved the boil water notices in Roscommon for example with new water treatment plants..[/QUOTE]

How are the humic and fulvic acids reduced from the water supply?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Here are a couple of interesting articles. It's not only the wildlife and oceans that have to content with plastics.
    Search

google.ie plastic-fiber-tap-water-study

bbc-miraculous-straw-that-lets-you-drink-dirty-water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement