Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Tap Water safe to drink?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Water John wrote: »
    Poor OP must be very perplexed. All tap water in Ireland is classified as, potable, that is drinkable. We do have occasional breakdowns but its generally good.
    I wish it was better and didn't rely on chlorine so much.
    If anyone presents to their doctor or A & E with gastro problems, the first item looked at is water supply.

Chlorine is used by all water suppliers to kill germs, if they don't chlorinate the water it's not potable.

OP the water from taps in large towns and cities is perfectly safe to drink, some private schemes can have issues for non residents but the water is still safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,220 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Del, there are other treatments other than chlorine but they are dearer. Or require a higher maintenance regime, than we have.
    The OP, from their name my be from Austria, where they would use, ozone and silver, quite a bit.
    Personally, If I was operating a Group Scheme, I would use a product like, Sanosil as the disinfectant of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

RobertKK wrote: »
    I have natural spring water on tap as it is from a ground well and tested. You couldn’t get better water to drink.
    People on public supply get what they pay for...

Your paying for it as well pal.

If however KK has a problem with his well or pump, he'll get a 75% grant.
    Own water here too, it's a soft water. Mighty for tea or coffee. Lovely to wash your hair with. Daughter says its a massive diff, on her tresses. Would eat the arse of your copper cylinder though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Since im still pretty new to Ireland: Is Tab Water save to drink or should i go with bottleted water instead?

tap water in vienna is ice cold even in the summer in 30 degree heat. must come from the alps or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,811 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

endacl wrote: »
    Haven't read the thread. Any flouridiots on yet?

No, we're all in favour of flour, especially when it's added to bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,641 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I drink the tap water all the time: it saves on the senseless waste of plastic bottles.
    Leave it stand in a jug for a while and any whiff of chlorine will dissipate.
    I've been drinking tap water for decades and I'm perfectly fit and healthy and all my family likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Tap water in ireland is extremely safe, don't waste plastic bottles for no reason

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Since im still pretty new to Ireland: Is Tab Water save to drink or should i go with bottleted water instead?

I wouldn't even wash the spuds or lettuce with it. If you've drunk it you're not going to need a doctor. You're going to need a priest.

Nah, Galway tap water is fine as it tap water in most of the country. I think the only place where tap water can be questionable is Roscommon. They've had to boil it often because of pollutants like silage runoff and stuff but I think it might be ok now.

kneemos wrote: »
    Tanks are for toilets and bathroom taps,that's why you shouldn't drink from a toilet rap. Everything else comes from the mains.

An interesting point,Chlorine doesn't smell unless there's fecal matter in the water. Stronger the smell,dirtier the water.

Bathroom tap water is safe to drink. If it wasn't people would be getting Dehli-belly from brushing their teeth.

• Advertisement

tara73 wrote: »
    I would be wary drinking it. Not living in Ireland anymore and I don't know if things changed but when I lived there a few years ago, kettles were always deeply brown from the inside...the final straw for me was when my colleague just straigth out said to me: you shouldn't drink tap water, there could be a dead rat in it..:eek::eek::D
    and she wasn't just stupidly joking, she had a point. there are often water tanks on the roof so who says they are all sealed from above...

from then on I bought the big 2 litre water bottles from tesco...:P

There could be a dead human in the tanks they fill the Tesco water bottles from. :P

RobertKK wrote: »
    I have natural spring water on tap as it is from a ground well and tested. You couldn’t get better water to drink.
    People on public supply get what they pay for...

Out of curiosity where is your spring? Did you sink a well yourself or is your house fed from a natural spring source?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Chrongen wrote: »
    Bathroom tap water is safe to drink. If it wasn't people would be getting Dehli-belly from brushing their teeth.

It comes from a tank. Probably won't be fatal,but if it isn't covered it more than likely contains anything that lives in your attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Water John wrote: »
    Poor OP must be very perplexed. All tap water in Ireland is classified as, potable, that is drinkable. We do have occasional breakdowns but its generally good.
    I wish it was better and didn't rely on chlorine so much.
    If anyone presents to their doctor or A & E with gastro problems, the first item looked at is water supply.

How is that asked about? I don't remember it ever being looked at when I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Your paying for it as well pal.

I have to pay for my own supply, and then the public supply that needs major investment which the users should pay for...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Chrongen wrote: »
    Out of curiosity where is your spring? Did you sink a well yourself or is your house fed from a natural spring source?

135 metres below the ground. We hit two separate springs. Sometimes the water comes to the surface and flows from the well that was sunk at the end of the very hot month of August in 1995.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Tap water in Dublin is safe and clean. Some homes built in up to the 50's have lead pipes. Some of these homes have a high lead content

Since im still pretty new to Ireland: Is Tap Water safe to drink?
    millie35 wrote: »
    Don't forget the fluoride.

Mandrake: Yes, Jack?
    Ripper: Have you ever seen a Commie drink a glass of water?
    Mandrake: Well, I can't say I have.
    Ripper: Vodka, that's what they drink, isn't it? Never water?
    Mandrake: Well, I-I believe that's what they drink, Jack, yes.
    Ripper: On no account will a Commie ever drink water, and not without good reason.
    Mandrake: Oh, eh, yes. I, uhm, can't quite see what you're getting at, Jack.
    Ripper: Water, that's what I'm getting at, water. Mandrake, water is the source of all life. Seven-tenths of this earth's surface is water. Why, do you realize that seventy percent of you is water?
    Mandrake: Uh, uh, Good Lord!
    Ripper: And as human beings, you and I need fresh, pure water to replenish our precious bodily fluids.
    Mandrake: Yes.
    Ripper: Are you beginning to understand?
    Mandrake: Yes.
    Ripper: Mandrake. Mandrake, have you never wondered why I drink only distilled water, or rain water, and only pure-grain alcohol?
    Mandrake: Well, it did occur to me, Jack, yes.
    Ripper: Have you ever heard of a thing called fluoridation. Fluoridation of water?
    Mandrake: Uh? Yes, I-I have heard of that, Jack, yes. Yes.
    Ripper: Well, do you know what it is?
    Mandrake: No, no I don't know what it is, no.
    Ripper: Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

An interesting point,Chlorine doesn't smell unless there's fecal matter in the water. Stronger the smell,dirtier the water.

o dear god.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭appledrop

In Dublin yes. I wouldn't touch it outside the capital though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

appledrop wrote: »

hasn't Dublin the massive open air reservoir full of dead birds, bird sh1t, traffic dust and other atmospheric deposits?

Why is Dublin to be rated as, having superior water?
    Chlorine reacts with any matter to create chloroamines. Oddly, you add more chlorine to neutralise the chloroamines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Charmeleon

hasn't Dublin the massive open air reservoir full of dead birds, bird sh1t, traffic dust and other atmospheric deposits?

Surely it’s treated after it leaves the reservoir? What’s the point in treating the water and then sending out into muddy ponds?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Irish tap water is generally ****e compared to Viennese, I often stick to bottled when I'm back in Ireland now, except for one or two houses where it tastes ok

Water in some European countries is of very high quality. The Netherlands, France, Germany, Switzerland and Austria. The last three would use ozone quite a bit for disinfection.
    I agree, public water is safe to drink in Ireland but may not be very palatable. Often you have high quality restaurants and hotels producing excellent meals, to be followed by sh**e tea/coffee. Because of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

We also have a treatment plant where the water is treated, filtered and cleaned.

I wouldn't put down any other parts of the country as I wouldn't know about the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ....and the chem trails, Jesus don't forget them!

I drink my water while wearing a tin foil hat. They might make me dosile through the fluoride, but be fecked if they’re going to read my mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

And what is the basis for this absolutely ridiculous statement?

Top notch Wumming, very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Yes, it's grand, drink it nearly every day for years and im never sick

Advertisement