Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Tap Water safe to drink?

Options
  • 19-01-2018 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Since im still pretty new to Ireland: Is Tab Water save to drink or should i go with bottleted water instead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Since im still pretty new to Ireland: Is Tab Water save to drink or should i go with bottleted water instead?

Tap water in Galway is perfectly safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

tab-soda-12-fl-oz-6-pack.jpg

I don't think Tab water was ever safe to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ChickenAustria

Yeah, i guess drinking it once wont kill me, i just ran out of bottled water today :D

The chlorine will do you good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Yeah, i guess drinking it once wont kill me, i just ran out of bottled water today :D

Pure finest I’m near 40 years drinking it.sup away

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

The cryptosporidium helps to strengthen your immune system, after a few weeks of diarrhoea you will get used to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Doltanian wrote: »
    The cryptosporidium helps to strengthen your immune system, after a few weeks of diarrhoea you will get used to it.

Have u a link for this? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Doltanian wrote: »

Great way to lose weight, in fairness

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

As long as you're not in the Dail bar, make sure to settle your tab once in a while. If you are, it's safe as houses, they'll never come looking for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't drink water, fishes **** in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Don't worry OP, Irish Water got wound up, no tabs to run up, so drink away.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Anytime there's a tab in Ireland, it can be dangerous.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Personally, given what happened in Galway a few years back, I’d be very very wary of supping tap water there...

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/water/irish-water-crisis/cryptosporidium-outbreak-cost-19m-34875224.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21,220 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Poor OP must be very perplexed. All tap water in Ireland is classified as, potable, that is drinkable. We do have occasional breakdowns but its generally good.
    I wish it was better and didn't rely on chlorine so much.
    If anyone presents to their doctor or A & E with gastro problems, the first item looked at is water supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭millie35

Don't forget the fluoride.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,012 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

millie35 wrote:
    Don't forget the fluoride.

....and the chem trails, Jesus don't forget them!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

They'll be sure to let you know when there's a boil notice. Usually only a few days after it was issued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Of course it's safe to drink. I never drink bottled water, there's no need. Tap water generally is absolutely fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

I would be wary drinking it. Not living in Ireland anymore and I don't know if things changed but when I lived there a few years ago, kettles were always deeply brown from the inside...the final straw for me was when my colleague just straigth out said to me: you shouldn't drink tap water, there could be a dead rat in it..:eek::eek::D
    and she wasn't just stupidly joking, she had a point. there are often water tanks on the roof so who says they are all sealed from above...

from then on I bought the big 2 litre water bottles from tesco...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

tara73 wrote: »
    I would be wary drinking it. Not living in Ireland anymore and I don't know if things changed but when I lived there a few years ago, kettles were always deeply brown from the inside...the final straw for me was when my colleague just straigth out said to me: you shouldn't drink tap water, there could be a dead rat in it..:eek::eek::D
    and she wasn't just stupidly joking, she had a point. there are often water tanks on the roof so who says they are all sealed from above...

Tanks are for toilets and bathroom taps,that's why you shouldn't drink from a toilet rap. Everything else comes from the mains.

An interesting point,Chlorine doesn't smell unless there's fecal matter in the water. Stronger the smell,dirtier the water.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

you can check here if your area is affected by any water supply issues.

http://www.epa.ie/water/dw/ral/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭corner of hells

tara73 wrote: »

Erm , your colleague doesn't sound the sharpest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Of course it's safe to drink. I never drink bottled water, there's no need. Tap water generally is absolutely fine.

I've always drank it and it's never done me any harm.

I work with some guys that won't even use it for tea or coffee after it's boiled. They'll fill the kettle with bottled water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

5-way water filters readily available, for about the cost (per gallon) of a spoonful of two of high street coffee.
    Massive difference to taste i.e. no chlorine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Drink away boss, sure it idnt want a dem ****hole countries yer in hei.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

its grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I have natural spring water on tap as it is from a ground well and tested. You couldn’t get better water to drink.
    People on public supply get what they pay for...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I've always drank it and it's never done me any harm.

I work with some guys that won't even use it for tea or coffee after it's boiled. They'll fill the kettle with bottled water.

Bottled water in to the kettle.. christ. Meanwhile our oceans continue to be polluted with non-degradable plastic which goes back into our water supply. Which tap water drinkers then consume. Ah the circle of life.

Maybe if people actually considered their purchases and their own consumption, our planet might not suffer so much malaise.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Haven't read the thread. Any flouridiots on yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,220 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If you want to get rid of chlorine and chloroamines, (the chlorine smelly ones) just get a jug with a carbon or charcoal filter.
    Tap water is often better than bottled water.

Lets stick with some facts, not some halfarsed stories.

Advertisement