Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling to council

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    The councils are difficult with everything. I've seen them buy an ex council house and rip it apart. Undoing all the moderations the previous owner did. I've seen them move the bathroom back downstairs, rip out very modern kitchens and tear up decking. I've seen houses bought by the council lying idle for up to a year after they bought it. There is no rhyme no reason to how councils handle these things. Well actually I can only speak for DCC & surrounding areas.

Not saying that Councils are competent but some of that is reasonable. If a kitchen press breaks, who is sourcing and fitting a matching door panel for that high spec kitchen? Who is replacing that top of the line oven? Why does the council house next door get designer bathroom fittings, a wet room with rain shower but you don't?

If you are maintaining a large volume of housing, having everything matching and easily replaceable makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'm not deliberately being vague. Everything can take longer with the council. Absolutely everything. If you send a simple reply to a question it feels like the answer has to be examined by three of four different committees. I'm not saying that this is the case but it seems that way. What should take 3 days can take two weeks.

The councils are difficult with everything. I've seen them buy an ex council house and rip it apart. Undoing all the moderations the previous owner did. I've seen them move the bathroom back downstairs, rip out very modern kitchens and tear up decking. I've seen houses bought by the council lying idle for up to a year after they bought it. There is no rhyme no reason to how councils handle these things. Well actually I can only speak for DCC & surrounding areas.

Thanks yes things take longer with the bureaucracy but I would not expect it to take more than say 4 months from sale agreed .after the deposit there are more contract questions and than closing. Thanks for your update though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Has anyone sold an affordable house back to the Council? I’m guessing the full applicable clawback would still apply but it got me thinking if they might negotiate a bit on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭twiddleypop

Does anyone know if Dublin City Council has improved recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭black & white

I tried to sell to Clare Co Co a couple of years ago, had a brilliant tenant on HAP and we were going to sell up as we’re getting towards retirement, but said vacant possession only. Tenant ended up getting a transfer 10 miles away and we sold up. Thankfully another family bought it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

This is what is holding me back too. If they bought it, and kept the tenant they have in it. I'd do the deal tomorrow.

But if I had to kick a family out I couldn't bring myself to do it, especially in this climate. They wouldn't get the same type house in the same neighbourhood again.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭ccull123

Sorry for bringing this thread back- considering selling a property ( apartment ) in west Dublin. Just wondering if anyone has any recent experiences of dealing with the council?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Timtam2020

I Just have been reading through the thread.

Would anyone know if you can sell to the cc and then rent the property back off them? Im looking to sell but my brother would be willing to rent the property as it’s a family home and we would like to try keep it int he family some how.

No generally whoever is next on the housing list will be offered it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Absolutely not a chance. They'll offer it to whoever's next on the Housing list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Minifox

Anyone try to sell an apartment to Dublin City Council lately? I emailed and was advised of a 6 week delay before they could even view it. Wondering if this would be the first of many delays. Also wondering how they establish market value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Completed the sale of an apartment to the council earlier in the year. I didnt actually want to sell it to the council in the first place out of respect for the neighbors. But they kept coming back with higher offers. In the end they made an offer so much higher than any other bidders (who were already bidding way above my asking price) that I had to accept. It took a good few weeks after that to have it all done.

I am not popular with my old neighbors now and there is an ultimate torag living in the apartment now. I had been moved out while it was rented for a good few years but still know a lot of the people living there from when i lived in the apartment. Ive been down a few times since to see my old 2 door down neighbor and their life is now a nightmare with the person the council put in. He is a good friend and renting and is moving out so not as annoyed at me as the other neighbors who own their apartments.

You know the way you might never know someone is living in an apratment they are so quiete. Well the new council tenant in my old apartment is the polar opposite of that. Everyone in the whole block knows when they are in, when they are leaving, when they have been drinking, when they are fighting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Minifox

Thanks for the reply.

It's a pity really. Of course, most Council tenants aren't like this (I used to be one!), but they also don't exercise the kind of caution a private landlord would re tenant selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

You are cprrect, most arent like that. The problem is that they dont get moved evicted when they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭the immortals

Hi. Does property have to be vacant to sell to council? i have hap tenants

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Emblematic

No it can be sold to the council under the tenant-in-situ scheme. The property still has to meet certain standards though in order to be considered for the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

If the council are talking too long with things could a seller list with an EA while still in negotiations with the council and take whoever offers first or most? Some people say the council won't become involved in a "public" sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CLIO5555

Hi Everyone does anyone have any experience of selling a property to council - but the property has been identify as having certain issues as built during the Celtic Tiger era?

Hi Everyone I realise this thread is old but wondering does anyone have any experience of selling a property to council - but the property has been identify as having certain issues as built during the Celtic Tiger era? - ie errors and greed by builders/developers - If the council has to contribute to future unknown funds will they still purchase the property - as mine is fine - other blocks are not. So will be a joint contribution at some stage - unknown yet. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It can be a nightmare dealing with the council. You don't say what the issues are with the property itself but council are extremely unlikely to purchase a definitive property. No building is 100% perfect and the council drag out a sale of a property with minor issues

• Advertisement

Thanks, it is roof issue - incorrect steel structure was picked - my block has been fixed and my apartment has no issues. 2 other block roofs waiting to be fixed. Council have already done a valuation and made me an offer. Hoping that given the housing situation in Ireland and the fact that they are going to be paying Management fees it will be ok. Has anyone had an experience of this. Thanks

Advertisement