Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling to council

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

I’m currently in the process of trying to sell a property with a hap tenant to Kildare Council since before Christmas. They give you a case no and say they will come back to you, have heard nothing since despite regular calls to them. Personally wouldn’t bother with it again. If I had of put the house on the market the sale would have been on its way to completion right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MatchaPeekaboo

October wrote: »
    I sold to Fingal. Took about a month longer than normal but that was mainly because it was over Christmas/solicitor went on maternity/staff on time off. But apart from that it was a smooth process and I knew council wasn’t going to pull out of sale.
    Hi how long did you have to wait until you got sale agreed? That’s the main thing I need for now and hoping the council don’t drag their feet!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭October

Hi how long did you have to wait until you got sale agreed? That’s the main thing I need for now and hoping the council don’t drag their feet![/quote]

I think the deposit was paid within a couple of weeks. If I remember correctly, I think I was told cheques are only issued on certain days.

Hi how long did you have to wait until you got sale agreed? That’s the main thing I need for now and hoping the council don’t drag their feet!

I think the deposit was paid within a couple of weeks. If I remember correctly, I think I was told cheques are only issued on certain days.[/quote]

I think the deposit was paid within a couple of weeks. If I remember correctly, I think I was told cheques are only issued on certain days.
    [/quote]

Thanks! Council said they are interested but were a bit vague on the time frame :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 poolfandar

You are right. The cc have an acquisitions dept that look after purchases. I believe the property has to be vacant before they will negotiate, even if a landlord is selling a property with council tenants in situ ..

Council bought my house with tenant in situ.[/quote]

Did they pay full market price or try to get it cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭October

poolfandar wrote: »
    You are right. The cc have an acquisitions dept that look after purchases. I believe the property has to be vacant before they will negotiate, even if a landlord is selling a property with council tenants in situ ..

Council bought my house with tenant in situ.

Did they pay full market price or try to get it cheaper?[/quote]

I think I messed up with the quotes when I was replying to previous messages! Council bought house from me for market value with a tenant in situ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Vivers58

Myself and my husband agreed to sell property to housing authority on behalf of Dublin City Council mid September 2018, it is now June 2019 and sale still not closed. Contracts only signed in mid April. Its a rental property so no income to pay mortgage since Aug 18. Auctioneer told us it would only take four months??. Dont sell to local or housing authority unless you have time on your hands and font need the money or quick sale. Its been a nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Vivers58 wrote: »
    Myself and my husband agreed to sell property to housing authority on behalf of Dublin City Council mid September 2018, it is now June 2019 and sale still not closed. Contracts only signed in mid April. Its a rental property so no income to pay mortgage since Aug 18. Auctioneer told us it would only take four months??. Dont sell to local or housing authority unless you have time on your hands and font need the money or quick sale. Its been a nightmare

Surely the price has risen significantly enough in the past 9 months that you would pull out of the sale and relist it or go to the council saying its taken so long you need to increase the price to recover lost earnings.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Surely the price has risen significantly enough in the past 9 months that you would pull out of the sale and relist it or go to the council saying its taken so long you need to increase the price to recover lost earnings.

Good luck with that.......
    Some local authorities really have their acts together- and try to complete sales within a strict timeframe (even if it means the property will be vacant for a protracted period of time after they purchase it). Other local authorities are notorious for dragging out the process- often taking a year or even longer to close a sale- of these- Dublin City Council are far and away the worse offendors (though Kildare and Galway Co. Cos are rapidly developing bad reputations).

If you are desperate to sell to the local authority- and want the peace of knowing the sale won't fall through- though it may take a protracted period of time to close- go with a local authority. If you'd like to sell in a reasonable timeframe- and would rather take the going rate- but the sale *might* fall through- sell it privately..........

Its a bit ironic that DCC have such an appalling reputation for messing sellers around the place- given the lions share of the homeless issue is in DCC's functional area...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

(though Kildare and Galway Co. Cos are rapidly developing bad reputations).

Where are you getting this information from regarding Galway CoCo. I have started the sale process with them so am interested to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

Where do the delays occur?? Pre contract or at the signing stage??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

kceire wrote: »
    Same as a standard sale.
    Time period is the same.

The council offered my mate 5k over the other highest bidder recently here in dublin.

The councils aren't allowed to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

gerrybbadd wrote: »

They are allowed to offer a premium over market rates I've been told (at least in Dublin).

I didn't think they generally got involved in private market sales though. Perhaps that policy has changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

My Mum sold one of the Investment Properties she inherited from my Dad to the Council. She had had enough after some bad Tenants.
    It took about 6-7 months from Sale Agreed to closing.

gerrybbadd wrote: »

Theyre not paying above market rate. They have placed a bid which was 5k above the previous bidder. Thats the way houses are bought!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Good luck with that.......
    Some local authorities really have their acts together- and try to complete sales within a strict timeframe (even if it means the property will be vacant for a protracted period of time after they purchase it). Other local authorities are notorious for dragging out the process- often taking a year or even longer to close a sale- of these- Dublin City Council are far and away the worse offendors (though Kildare and Galway Co. Cos are rapidly developing bad reputations).

If you are desperate to sell to the local authority- and want the peace of knowing the sale won't fall through- though it may take a protracted period of time to close- go with a local authority. If you'd like to sell in a reasonable timeframe- and would rather take the going rate- but the sale *might* fall through- sell it privately..........

Its a bit ironic that DCC have such an appalling reputation for messing sellers around the place- given the lions share of the homeless issue is in DCC's functional area...........

With Brexit, NCH, Broadband, I think the councils budget is being hit. Everyone is being told to STOP......

mad m wrote: »
    With Brexit, NCH, Broadband, I think the councils budget is being hit. Everyone is being told to STOP......

Stop what. Once council is sales agreed it Will go ahead???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

rightmove wrote: »

Unless they have signed contracts nothing is certain.

Unless they have signed contracts nothing is certain.

Unless they have exchanged contracts nothing is certain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Vivers58 wrote:

I did post here a year ago warning how long the councils take to close a sale. They can be a nightmare to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Everything is stopping since the Brexit deadline passed

Money tap has been turned off

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

rightmove wrote: »

If they have signed contracts with you- they will go ahead.
    Keep in mind- its only June and most of the councils have already made proposals for supplementary budgets for 2019- that is- we're not yet half way through the year and they are already looking for additional funding sources for this year- never mind further down the road. Some councils are already cutting 'non-essential' services (such as libraries, public swimming pools etc)- in an effort to make their figures add up.

A council sale is not a safe sale- until contracts have been signed and exchanged- and even then- can be dragged out over a protracted period- so the funding comes from the next financial year etc. They are playing games- the same as any other buyer- don't presume because they're the council that they will treat you any different than any other prospective purchaser might.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Keep in mind- its only June and most of the councils have already made proposals for supplementary budgets for 2019- that is- we're not yet half way through the year and they are already looking for additional funding sources for this year- never mind further down the road. Some councils are already cutting 'non-essential' services (such as libraries, public swimming pools etc)- in an effort to make their figures add up.

Are these statements (they have stopped) based on evidence you or someone you know have witnessed or is it purely speculation.

Nothing is sure in conveyancing until contracts are signed, we all know that, but the fact that they cutting all non-essential expenditure, and including housing in that bucket is something I have not heard through my reliable sources.

What I heard is that selling to the council is as safe a sale as you can have and once the deposit is paid they pretty much always proceed.

rightmove wrote:
    What I heard is that selling to the council is as safe a sale as you can have and once the deposit is paid they pretty much always proceed.

They do but they make you jump through hoops & it takes forever to complete

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    They do but they make you jump through hoops & it takes forever to complete

What hoops....just curious

As I said a year ago the dot every i & cross every T to the extreme. At the end of the day they will buy & follow through but you'd want to be charging them extra for the length of time they take to examine things. The property could be worth thousands more by the time they eventually complete the purchase. The average house sale can be done in eight weeks. Less than Six if both solicitors are on the ball. I've seen some sales to DCC go on for a year. This is nothing new, DCC have always been this difficult to sell to.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    As I said a year ago the dot every i & cross every T to the extreme. At the end of the day they will buy & follow through but you'd want to be charging them extra for the length of time they take to examine things. The property could be worth thousands more by the time they eventually complete the purchase. The average house sale can be done in eight weeks. Less than Six if both solicitors are on the ball. I've seen some sales to DCC go on for a year. This is nothing new, DCC have always been this difficult to sell to.
    Thanks but very short on details. The actual reasons for the delays

• Advertisement

rightmove wrote:
    Thanks but very short on details. The actual reasons for the delays

I'm not deliberately being vague. Everything can take longer with the council. Absolutely everything. If you send a simple reply to a question it feels like the answer has to be examined by three of four different committees. I'm not saying that this is the case but it seems that way. What should take 3 days can take two weeks.

The councils are difficult with everything. I've seen them buy an ex council house and rip it apart. Undoing all the moderations the previous owner did. I've seen them move the bathroom back downstairs, rip out very modern kitchens and tear up decking. I've seen houses bought by the council lying idle for up to a year after they bought it. There is no rhyme no reason to how councils handle these things. Well actually I can only speak for DCC & surrounding areas.

Advertisement