Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling to council

Options
  • 19-01-2018 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Just wondering if people have any experiences of selling a house to the County Council.

My house is on my market currently and we have been advised that the council would be willing to make an offer.

Does anyone have any pros or cons for the seller?

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Same as a standard sale.
    Time period is the same.

The council offered my mate 5k over the other highest bidder recently here in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭aj89

Couldn't really imagine anything different myself, just said I might as well throw the idea out there in case I missed anything obvious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Does the estate agent tell the seller it's a county council ? Obvisiously the seller will accept the highest bid no matter who offers I suppose. Kceire.... was your mates place a house or apt??? I hear that the council are slow to bid on apt due to " hassle with mgmt companies". Not sure if true or not

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭aj89

It was our estate agent that rang to say the council were in contact querying the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭NauP

You don't need an estate agent. Deal directly and avoid agents commission.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

What section would deal with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭NauP

What section would deal with this?

Housing Dept.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

NauP wrote: »
    You don't need an estate agent. Deal directly and avoid agents commission.

Estate agents aren't nearly as daft as some vendors.

As the EA has already made the introduction and assuming the OP has already contracted the agent to sell the property, I can't think of any way this wouldn't end up with the OP receiving a bill from the EA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

We sold to them, they offered 4k above the previous bid.
    We were told that once they put an offer in, they never pull out. But we had to wait an additional 3 weeks while whoever had to sign off on it came back from holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

hawkelady wrote: »
    Does the estate agent tell the seller it's a county council ? Obvisiously the seller will accept the highest bid no matter who offers I suppose. Kceire.... was your mates place a house or apt??? I hear that the council are slow to bid on apt due to " hassle with mgmt companies". Not sure if true or not

There are numerous reasons why a vendor might not take the highest bid. Nowt as queer as folk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Obvisiously the seller will accept the highest bid no matter who offers I suppose.
    Not always. Past neighbour back in Ireland sold their house to someone who lived locally, as the neighbour had friends on the road. Think the family who got the house was 2nd or 3rd highest; the others were buy2let.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I can't speak for other councils but DCC can be a nightmare to deal with. They will follow through with the deal but it can take twice as long as a regular sale. Every i has to be dotted and every t must be crossed to the extreme.

A house.
    Technically you don’t need an estate agent either as you can call the city council directly. They will tell you straight out if they are interested and the ball starts rolling from there.

They will inspect and value the property and you accept of your happy.
    Only fees are your legal fees then.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Every i has to be dotted and every t must be crossed to the extreme.

Which should be the case in any house purchase to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭October

I sold to Fingal. Took about a month longer than normal but that was mainly because it was over Christmas/solicitor went on maternity/staff on time off. But apart from that it was a smooth process and I knew council wasn’t going to pull out of sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

kceire wrote:
    Which should be the case in any house purchase to be honest.

Yes it should but DCC take months longer for some strange reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Dee01

WE sold to the council (DCC) because we knew they wouldn’t pull out of the sale. They weren’t the highest bidder, but we knew we had a guaranteed sale, so we took the safe option. They were fine to deal with and while it took a bit longer, that didn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Dee01 wrote: »
    WE sold to the council (DCC) because we knew they wouldn’t pull out of the sale. They weren’t the highest bidder, but we knew we had a guaranteed sale, so we took the safe option. They were fine to deal with and while it took a bit longer, that didn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things.

How long did it take?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Just remember DCC will have a max to go to. They factor in a certain price also to bring house up to renting standards.

DCC do not want to be seen to be out bidding people , they won’t get into a bidding war etc.

AFAIK it’s not the housing dept, there is a section in there that solely deals with buying houses- “buy backs” as it’s known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

mad m wrote: »
    Just remember DCC will have a max to go to. They factor in a certain price also to bring house up to renting standards.

DCC do not want to be seen to be out bidding people , they won’t get into a bidding war etc.

AFAIK it’s not the housing dept, there is a section in there that solely deals with buying houses- “buy backs” as it’s known.

The 10 yr lease is a different kettle of fish but i know they just go to the daft report and estimate the rent from that figure in your location.
    They might use the property register to calculate an average from there too as they are actual sales as opposed to asking prices on daft.

It would be interesting to see if the offer people received is around the average daft sale figure during that period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

mad m wrote: »

You are right. The cc have an acquisitions dept that look after purchases. I believe the property has to be vacant before they will negotiate, even if a landlord is selling a property with council tenants in situ ..

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Dee01

How long did it take?

We went sale agreed at the start of August and everything changed hands on 22nd December. We did push and push for a date before Christmas as we didn’t want it dragging into the new year. The only tip I’d give you is to keep on them. We called them directly whenever we needed an update.

Council bought my house which was rented out at the time to a tenant in receipt of rent allowance. Tenant was also on the housing list and they kept tenant in house after sale completed.

You are right. The cc have an acquisitions dept that look after purchases. I believe the property has to be vacant before they will negotiate, even if a landlord is selling a property with council tenants in situ ..[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Scienceless

Are all city councils buying houses if they consider them suitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Are all city councils buying houses if they consider them suitable?

They (the Council) will buy anything in any area. They had 20% of the housing on the new Ballsbridge development but somehow they came to a deal with the developers and will now get 0% of that development.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Your neighbours will be delighted with your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

SNNUS wrote: »

Ex neighbours soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

SNNUS wrote: »

Then let them buy and they can chose who lives in it.

You are right. The cc have an acquisitions dept that look after purchases. I believe the property has to be vacant before they will negotiate, even if a landlord is selling a property with council tenants in situ ..[/quote]

Council bought my house with tenant in situ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

October wrote: »
    You are right. The cc have an acquisitions dept that look after purchases. I believe the property has to be vacant before they will negotiate, even if a landlord is selling a property with council tenants in situ ..

Council bought my house with tenant in situ.[/quote]

Depends on the council. Dun Laoghaire Rathdown require vacant possession, not sure about others

Advertisement