Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"We don't want Scientology in our town" - Hypocrisy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

No difference in Scientology and Catholicism, both crazy crap

If we're ever going to have a society free from religion and cults, we have to start somewhere. Scientology is a perfectly reasonable place to start since it doesn't have any sympathetic following here. Yet. Block them now, and keep them out. Then we can look to the creepy faiths like Opus Deus.

Christianity will simply fade away on its own. It's no longer getting the followers to maintain the loss of priests to old age or breaking vows to get married, and the Catholic church has bound itself too much with past policies to be able to adapt. The other domestic faiths in Europe aren't much of an issue either.

Islam isn't settling as such in Europe. It's mostly being brought in by migration rather than gaining a domestic following. Islam and Muslims have enough sympathetic support to stay with the Asylum seekers who won't be denied entry. Nothing will be done there for years, so there's no point ranting about it.

So, let's start with crackpot cults and get rid of them now before we become like the US.

Berserker wrote: »
    Not yet but it will be in a few years. They are exceeding the goals they set in their recruitment drive and they've are building up their network around the country. They've linked in with some 'non-RCC' schools and community groups. One of the ladies in that protest is being subjected to some serious pressure from them, under their 'fair game' policy, at the moment. I always laugh out loud when posters her compare the CoS to the RCC or any other religious movement. Boy are they in for a shock if/when the CoS crosses their path. Would love to know if they have any new Sea Org members here yet.

This thread has now piqued my interest. Do continue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

If you want to stop being a Muslim - no problem.

If you want to stop being a Catholic - no problem.

If you want to stop being a Scientologist - good luck because you will need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Do elaborate how bad are they to deal with?

I could give you a brilliant example but it's very specific to my own family and I don't want to post it online. If you go onto youtube and google 'scientology firhouse' you'll see videos from some, one in particular, of the protesters in that article and it'll give you a very good idea of what they have to put up with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ipso wrote: »
    Scientology is worse, it's like a pyramid scheme run by a psycho.

Catholic tripe is taught to our children in national schools from the get go. Scientology is very much on the fringes.

Discodog wrote: »

Not sure about that. Apostasy is kinda frowned upon. Severely so in some places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭piplip87

https://atheist.ie/campaigns/leaving-religion/ nope not so easy to leave the Catholic Church

Omackeral wrote: »
    Catholic tripe is taught to our children in national schools from the get go. Scientology is very much on the fringes.

Yes and if you don't want your child to partake in that "Catholic tripe", they sit down the back of the class and it's all good. Not the case with the CoS.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Which is fair enough, but while we're ridding Christianity to an extent (Many issues, state run schools are almost exclusively catholic for example), we're importing hard core Islamic values, which is arguably worse! At least Scientologists don't go around killing eachother!

Wtf are you on about. I love how some here are twisting a community protesting against a dangerous cult to their hard on for going after Muslims.

Numerous people have died both in Scientologys care and in its so called Drug treatment programs.
    Now, I don't want these comments taken out of proportion, I have no problem with Muslims the people, however the ideologies and brainwashing that come with Scientology are already present today in other religions, shouldn't we attack the existing ones as well as preventing the new ones?

That's sounds an awful like the phrase "I'm not a racist but....". I think its a logical step to stop a blatant cult in its tracks early before it embeds in tendrils into communities.

• Advertisement

Berserker wrote: »
    Yes and if you don't want your child to partake in that "Catholic tripe", they sit down the back of the class and it's all good. Not the case with the CoS.

It shouldn't be in schools at all. ''It's all good'' is easy to say but it's a bit crappy on the kid as they're made to feel like an outsider.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

And to shun gays.

Where do you see the RCC in Ireland today “shunning” gays?
    PM me which parish and if possible the name of the priest you witnessed either shunning gay people or instructing other to shun gay people and I’ll report it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

piplip87 wrote: »
    https://atheist.ie/campaigns/leaving-religion/ nope not so easy to leave the Catholic Church

Have you ever watched documentaries such as Going Clear or Leah Remini's work? Because if you did, you will know that leaving the "Church" of Scientology isn't simply a matter of not going to mass any more or taking your name off a list. Many ex members of Scientology have been cut off from their own families. They're intimidated by Scientology's version of the Gestapo. Spied upon, verbally abused, blackmailed and mindf'ced basically. I'm no fan of the catholic church but this shower are a completely different ballgame.

It shouldn't be in schools at all. ''It's all good'' is easy to say but it's a bit crappy on the kid as they're made to feel like an outsider.

I was one of those children and it was never an issue for me. The other non-RCC members of my class felt the exact same. Read up on the cadet org to get an idea about the life and education of the children in Scientology.

Once again if your child was made to feel like an outsider by a teacher, or the teacher encouraged the other children to make your child feel like an outsider for any reason then you need to make a complaint to the teacher first and if not satisfied then raise it to the principal.
    As there are 10 non Christian children in our 2nd class of 26 then your child wouldn’t be an outsider in our school.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Where do you see the RCC in Ireland today “shunning” gays?
    PM me which parish and if possible the name of the priest you witnessed either shunning gay people or instructing other to shun gay people and I’ll report it myself.

well was talking more about their holy books in that post but I digress. Could you tell me of a priest in the RCC who'll marry my brother and his boyfriend and which parish it's in? If you can, I'd actually be genuinely happy to hear of it.

piplip87 wrote: »

Will the Catholic hierarchy come to your house and threaten you if you stop going to mass?
    Will you get threatening phone calls from the parish priest in the middle of the night?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

We could have some Scientologist preachers and some bishops duel to the death like the fight scene in Anchorman.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Once again if your child was made to feel like an outsider by a teacher, or the teacher encouraged the other children to make your child feel like an outsider for any reason then you need to make a complaint to the teacher first and if not satisfied then raise it to the principal.
    As there are 10 non Christian children in our 2nd class of 26 then your child wouldn’t be an outsider in our school.

I'm speaking from personal experience from the 90's. Teachers wouldn't make you feel like an outsider but the whole not being included thing gets to kids at that age. There's a massive focus on Communion and Confirmation throughout the relevant school years too, which have nothing to do with education IMO. School and church should be separate entities.

I'm speaking from personal experience from the 90's. Teachers wouldn't make you feel like an outsider but the whole not being included thing gets to kids at that age. There's a massive focus on Communion and Confirmation throughout the relevant school years too, which have nothing to do with education IMO. School and church should be separate entities.

You are aware that there are choices now to send children to non religious schools and the number of these schools is rising every year.

I went to a secondary school whose ethos was different from my religion and I did not feel secluded. As far I could tell the others who were minorities didn't either. Not sure what this has to do with the Scientology cult and its faux medicine so called drug treatments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

1440342714500264881.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Any comparisons to Christianity or Islam are moot. I'm no fan of either, surprising as that might be to some, but they are established religions and if you think you're going to eradicate then by being a childish spiteful cnut you'll get both barrels from me. We don't need to import this Scientology shîte though, no siree Bob.

well was talking more about their holy books in that post but I digress. Could you tell me of a priest in the RCC who'll marry my brother and his boyfriend and which parish it's in? If you can, I'd actually be genuinely happy to hear of it.

Your brother and his boyfriend aren’t relying on the RCC to marry them, they can get married any day if the week anywhere else.
    The Sacrament of Matrimony is refused to many people.
    It’s refused to married people who haven’t been granted a church annulment.
    It’s refused to people who aren’t Christians even though one of the couple may be a Catholic
    It’s refused to people who lack the capacity to appreciate the sanctity of marriage.
    As the Sacrament if Matrimony is intertwined with the requirement to welcome whatever children may be issue of the marriage, and biologically same sex couples cannot conceive children, then RCC refuses same sex couples.
    This is not shunning gay couples.
    It’s having rules.
    You said gay people are shunned in Ireland today in RCC.
    They aren’t. Many parishes including our own have a gay group that meet and pray on a regular basis.
    Has your brother and his boyfriend been turned away from mass?
    I assume if they want to be married by a priest that they are regular mass goers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

What are the locals concerned about? Is it the Scientology aspect or is it the fact that there will be a drug treatment facility in their town?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

BattleCorp wrote: »
    What are the locals concerned about? Is it the Scientology aspect or is it the fact that there will be a drug treatment facility in their town?

Both perhaps? And I don't blame them one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Isn't the punishment for apostasy in Islam death.

Also no one leaves the Catholic Church. Once you're Confirmed you're a member for life. You'll always be one.

Like how anyone born into a Jewish background is referred to as Jewish. Doesn't matter if they're practing or not.

Scientology would definitely concern them. A cult that is a pyramid scheme that peddles false hope to the vulnerable concerns me.

An organisation that has tried to sell its purification run down to a mother of an autistic child in this country recently would be a concern. That treatment involves taking massive vitamin supplements and spending hours each day in a sauna and has been disowned by the HSE and debunked by experts who have said it can damage the health of those who undertake it.

An organisation that has form for duping staff, paying cash in hand and charging them for their bogus treatments would be a concern.

A non supervised drug treatment clinic with 54 beds in a small town of 1700 people would be a concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Both perhaps? And I don't blame them one bit.

We have a residential drug treatment centre on the edge of my town. It's about 1km from my house. You'd never even know it was there. It's there years and there hasn't been any problems.

• Advertisement

We have a residential drug treatment centre on the edge of my town. It's about 1km from my house. You'd never even know it was there. It's there years and there hasn't been any problems.

Is it run by the cult of Scientology?

Advertisement