Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"We don't want Scientology in our town" - Hypocrisy?

Options
  • 17-01-2018 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.thejournal.ie/ballivor-scientology-protest-3802998-Jan2018/
    LOCALS HAVE TURNED out in significant numbers in Co Meath to protest the proposed establishment of a drug rehabilitation centre locally, which has been linked with the Church of Scientology.

Present on the protest were anti-Scientology and autism activist Fiona O’Leary, and local woman Susan Davis. A further meeting is planned to be held on the matter this evening in the locality.

RTE also had quite a bit about this piece on the news.

Am I the only one seeing the blatant hypocrisy here? Imagine if a bunch of locals turned out to protest against a drug rehabilitation centre being set up by members of a mosque? Imagine an "anti-islamic" activist who wasn't abused by all media?

Scientology is a terrible religion no doubt, however religions such as Christianity and Islam have caused massive issues around the world, with many deaths, abuses and general promotion of backward practises for centuries. However, these are actively promoted in Ireland, in state funded schools, many drug rehabilitation centres etc.

One rule for some and another for the rest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Members of cults generally don’t like other cults.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

JCX BXC wrote: »

Am I the only one seeing the blatant hypocrisy here? Imagine if a bunch of locals turned out to protest against a drug rehabilitation centre being set up by members of a mosque? Imagine an "anti-islamic" activist who wasn't abused by all media?

Scientology is a terrible religion no doubt, however religions such as Christianity and Islam have caused massive issues around the world, with many deaths, abuses and general promotion of backward practises for centuries. However, these are actively promoted in Ireland, in state funded schools, many drug rehabilitation centres etc.

Yes the locals are total cowards I would protest against Islam way before this lot and in doing so you get branded a racist.

As regards Scientology it is just a bunch of stupid people giving their money away they are only harming themselves I say let them at it.

Edit I don't think I have ever been at any kind of protest.:D

But I would be even less inclined to protest this lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

No they are right Scientology is a cult and a scam. They are right to want it driven from their community. We already have enough problems trying to extract one cult from our society rather than letting an even bigger bunch of whackjobs free reign to get their claws into vulnerable people!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

As regards Scientology it is just a bunch of stupid people giving their money away they are only harming themselves I say let them at it.

It's a bunch of manipulated and vulnerable people giving their money away.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

The promotion of a godless society, lacking in moral values and purpose in life are causing greater issues with declining birth rates, high depression rates and pressures to maintain a fake lifestyle such as facebook, reality tv programmes and obsession at buying worthless garbage. As regards scientology, that is not a religion but a scam to extort money and shouldn't be allowed proceed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Quite a difference really.

Scientology is a known scam, which thoroughly relies on your ability to donate money to them, your car, house etc, in order to 'progress' through the religion.

In comparison, and while I'm no fan of Islam, Christianity, Judaism or any other religion, all they really ask is for you to believe their respective Holy books and follow their faith.

Is it recognized as a religion in Ireland?

I don’t believe so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

These people are whackjobs i dont blame the locals for wanting to keep them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,026 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Sonics2k wrote: »

Scientology is a known scam, which thoroughly relies on your ability to donate money to them, your car, house etc, in order to 'progress' through the religion.

In comparison, and while I'm no fan of Islam, Christianity, Judaism or any other religion, all they really ask is for you to believe their respective Holy books and follow their faith.

The above is my view also. It's a scam based on a cult, in the most cynical way possible. Leah Reminis series on the whole thing is well worth a watch.

CardinalJ wrote: »
    It's a bunch of manipulated and vulnerable people giving their money away.

Yes but that's the point at least they are not harming any of the rest of us.

1. Scientologists believe there was a dictator of the Galactic Confederacy named Xenu?? Uh, SURE, Scientology...

2. Scientologists believe Xenu gathered billions of beings from across the universe, brought them to Earth, placed them around volcanoes, and killed them all with hydrogen bombs?? Pshhhh!

3. Scientology believes lost/twisted spirits, known as "body thetans", are responsible for all the negative feelings and emotions that exist within your life?! Um, WTF..

4. Scientology believes in a doctrine called "Fair Game", which justifies doing WHATEVER IS NECESSARY, including blackmail, harassment, and various other forms of punishment, to anyone who criticizes or is viewed as a "threat" to Scientology

5. Scientology forces members to isolate themselves from friends and family who do not follow the teachings of Scientology and OKAY this is literally just a cult nevermind

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,026 ✭✭✭Odhinn

We don't recognise or really not recognise - its a bit vague. The Germans though, have a list, and have said that the scientologists are not getting on it.

Odhinn wrote: »
    We don't recognise or really not recognise - its a bit vague. The Germans though, have a list, and have said that the scientologists are not getting on it.

Its safe to say it’s not recognized as a religion in Ireland

So I don’t see any hypocrisy as per the OP

scientology_gay_4_0613_375.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

gandalf wrote: »
    No they are right Scientology is a cult and a scam. They are right to want it driven from their community. We already have enough problems trying to extract one cult from our society rather than letting an even bigger bunch of whackjobs free reign to get their claws into vulnerable people!

Which one are you on about there? The C one or the I one?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

And to shun gays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Yeah we don't want that lot flying planes into buildings, bombing trains and buses and executing people attending concerts.

Wait...what dangerous shower of lunatics are we talking about again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Ah if someone you cared about went off and pi$$ed their life down the drain trying to get to the next level of scientology you wouldn't say they weren't harming you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

gandalf wrote: »

Which is fair enough, but while we're ridding Christianity to an extent (Many issues, state run schools are almost exclusively catholic for example), we're importing hard core Islamic values, which is arguably worse! At least Scientologists don't go around killing eachother!

Now, I don't want these comments taken out of proportion, I have no problem with Muslims the people, however the ideologies and brainwashing that come with Scientology are already present today in other religions, shouldn't we attack the existing ones as well as preventing the new ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The promotion of a godless society, lacking in moral values and purpose in life are causing greater issues with declining birth rates, high depression rates and pressures to maintain a fake lifestyle such as facebook, reality tv programmes and obsession at buying worthless garbage. As regards scientology, that is not a religion but a scam to extort money and shouldn't be allowed proceed.

Yep. Much better to give all your money to the church so they can hoard it along with all their property , gold , art and other trinkets.

There's nothing in life you need any made up religion for ( that's all of them in case youre wondering) . You can be a good person, do good things and lead a good life without having to attribute it all to some fake bloke in the sky and drop money in a dish every Sunday. Charity work and community programs can be done just as well by any random group of people.

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Ah if someone you cared about went off and pi$$ed their life down the drain trying to get to the next level of scientology you wouldn't say they weren't harming you.

Of course I would thats different.

An honest answer not what you were expecting.:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Isn't one of the 5 pillars of Islam that you give money to the poor and to imans etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Isn't one of the 5 pillars of Islam that you give money to the poor and to imans etc?

Ever seen a church collection? Most religions are simply money racketing. In my opinion it was the primary reason for their establishment!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Ever seen a church collection? Most religions are simply money racketing. In my opinion it was the primary reason for their establishment!

I think I read somewhere before that the Catholic Chruch makes more money per year than Google and Apple combined?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

1. Scientologists believe there was a dictator of the Galactic Confederacy named Xenu?? Uh, SURE, Scientology...

2. Scientologists believe Xenu gathered billions of beings from across the universe, brought them to Earth, placed them around volcanoes, and killed them all with hydrogen bombs?? Pshhhh!

3. Scientology believes lost/twisted spirits, known as "body thetans", are responsible for all the negative feelings and emotions that exist within your life?! Um, WTF..

4. Scientology believes in a doctrine called "Fair Game", which justifies doing WHATEVER IS NECESSARY, including blackmail, harassment, and various other forms of punishment, to anyone who criticizes or is viewed as a "threat" to Scientology

5. Scientology forces members to isolate themselves from friends and family who do not follow the teachings of Scientology and OKAY this is literally just a cult nevermind

giphy.gif

1). Christianity believes that there is a director called God that created the universe.

2). Catholics believe this god caused plagues, floods as punishment.

3). Catholicism believes in demons, Satan and spirits, they even have an exorcists to removes these spirits.

4). The Catholic church used blackmail, threats of enternal damnation to keep sufferer's of sex abuse quiet.

5). The Catholic church forced unmarried mother's to give up their children and sold them to rich Americans.

I could go on.

Scientology is no worse than the Catholic Church

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

giphy.gif

If you don't have an all powerful god who sent his son (who was really himself) to die to save us from his father (who was really him) and some other stuff with a giant boat and loads of animals then it's just nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

piplip87 wrote: »
    1). Christianity believes that there is a director called God that created the universe.

3). Catholicism believes in demons, Satan and spirits, they even have an exorcists to removes these spirits.

4). The Catholic church used blackmail, threats of enternal damnation to keep sufferer's of sex abuse quiet.

5). The Catholic church forced unmarried mother's to give up their children and sold them to rich Americans.

I could go on.

Scientology is worse, it's like a pyramid scheme run by a psycho.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,963 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The planned drug clinic isn't officially part of Scientology, but to be run by an org called Narconon - though the aren't fooling anyone with that. Their methods are non-scientific and genuinely dangerous, involving vitamin overdoses to replace the drugs i.e. a form of "cold turkey" treatment.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

piplip87 wrote: »

I could go on.

Catholics believe in a process called transubstantiation, and that they eat the actual flesh of Jesus Christ during mass. That's as mad as anything Scientology has got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I don’t believe so

Not yet but it will be in a few years. They are exceeding the goals they set in their recruitment drive and they've are building up their network around the country. They've linked in with some 'non-RCC' schools and community groups. One of the ladies in that protest is being subjected to some serious pressure from them, under their 'fair game' policy, at the moment. I always laugh out loud when posters her compare the CoS to the RCC or any other religious movement. Boy are they in for a shock if/when the CoS crosses their path. Would love to know if they have any new Sea Org members here yet.

• Advertisement

Berserker wrote: »
    Not yet but it will be in a few years. They are exceeding the goals they set in their recruitment drive and they've are building up their network around the country. They've linked in with some schools and community groups. One of the ladies in that protest is being subjected to some serious pressure from them, under their 'fair game' policy, at the moment. I always laugh out loud when posters her compare the CoS to the RCC or any other religious movement. Boy are they in for a shock if/when the CoS crosses their path.

Do elaborate how bad are they to deal with?

Advertisement