Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

6N Tournament 2018 (non-Irish TT)

  • 16-01-2018 6:35am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭ swiwi_


    To discuss our friends and foes hailing from

    England
    France
    Alba
    Cymru
    Italia

    Please be so kind as to leave Irish team talk to the Irish thread :)

    Will the English juggernaut continue?
    Can Brunel enact a miracle for the French?
    Are Scotland really quite decent after all? Or was autumn a false dawn?
    Could Wales poop the party?
    Italy - sigh?


«13456721

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 19,224 ✭✭✭✭ Venjur


    Reading in the Guardian yesterday and there is a real concern that the malaise being felt at Champions cup level could filter through to the national team.

    They pointed to the fact that Saracens won two years on the trot whilst being a primary supplier of talent to the English team who similarly won 2 six nations.

    Will be interesting to see what mind tricks the Italians have for them on opening weekend.

    Scotland barely have a front row and weather permitting I reckon France, England and Ireland will scrum them into submission.

    France an unknown entity. I expect their work rate and intensity to be through the roof in round 1 and after that fails to break down an organised Ireland they will gradually fall back into their shell culminating in a home defeat to Italy.


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭ Buer


    Scotland had no scrum last year and it didn't work out too well for us :o

    The 6N after a Lions tour is always a bit of a funny one. France generally have a good opportunity but I can't see them threatening to win the title. I reckon anyone who wins 3 games could be in with a shout this time around.

    Scotland have France at home in round 2 before hosting England in round 3. If they get some confidence and momentum from a win in round 2, they're going to be in with a real chance of upsetting the English in Edinburgh.

    With the Welsh injury problems, Scotland are never going to get a better chance of winning in Cardiff on the opening day but I still reckon Wales have enough to scrape a tight win.

    France? Honestly, who knows. They'll give it a crack at the start and if we beat them, I expect them to fold.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭ prawnsambo


    Buer wrote: »
    Scotland had no scrum last year and it didn't work out too well for us :o

    The 6N after a Lions tour is always a bit of a funny one. France generally have a good opportunity but I can't see them threatening to win the title. I reckon anyone who wins 3 games could be in with a shout this time around.

    Scotland have France at home in round 2 before hosting England in round 3. If they get some confidence and momentum from a win in round 2, they're going to be in with a real chance of upsetting the English in Edinburgh.

    With the Welsh injury problems, Scotland are never going to get a better chance of winning in Cardiff on the opening day but I still reckon Wales have enough to scrape a tight win.

    France? Honestly, who knows. They'll give it a crack at the start and if we beat them, I expect them to fold.
    Even if we beat them, they'd still be in with a shout of winning the championship. I doubt they'd be throwing their hands up in the air after one defeat.

    Edit: Last year they were beaten by England in the opening fixture, then by us in the third round and still finished by beating Wales.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭ errlloyd


    DTp1fNJWkAAKOc2.jpg:large

    Scotland squad named, I think the story is probably that Laidlaw isn't captain. Price is probably their number 1 Scrum Half now anyway.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,705 ✭✭✭✭ Interested Observer


    I think there's an image there but I can't see it, is Laidlaw in the squad? He's injured at the moment anyway I think.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,479 ✭✭✭✭ CIARAN_BOYLE


    I think there's an image there but I can't see it, is Laidlaw in the squad? He's injured at the moment anyway I think.

    Yeah he is in the squad


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭ errlloyd


    I think there's an image there but I can't see it, is Laidlaw in the squad? He's injured at the moment anyway I think.

    Can you see it now? The original didn't work so I got a different source.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ Awesomeness


    DTqCqPuXUAALyTY.jpg


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,026 ✭✭✭✭ Squidgy Black


    I think there's an image there but I can't see it, is Laidlaw in the squad? He's injured at the moment anyway I think.

    Still injured but apparently should be due back just before the first test.

    Hasn't played since October though so I'm sure Price will be the starter.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,212 ✭✭✭✭ Clegg


    Faletau isn't expected to play in the first few rounds iirc.

    Fairly middling group of tight five forwards there as well.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭ thomond2006


    Scotland are screwed at prop. It could completely undermine their chances. The BBC mention 7 props who are unavailable for the opener against Wales.

    I wouldn't like to see Ireland without McGrath, Healy, Kilcoyne, Furlong, Ryan, Porter and Archer.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 Dog Botherer


    England don't really have a backrow, and the vast majority of their players are in poor form.

    Wales don't have a backrow or back three, and their pack in general is very so-so.

    Scotland don't have a scrum, but otherwise look strong.

    Italy are still in a building process, could sneak a win like in most years but a bit early for Conor O'Shea's lads this year.

    France haven't a clue. With any other team, that would be good news. But it's France, so we'll either put 40 on them or they'll put 40 on us. Who knows.

    Ireland look strong all around the park, and are relatively injury free. We should be looking to win this.


  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ MDunne14


    England don't really have a backrow, and the vast majority of their players are in poor form.

    Wales don't have a backrow or back three, and their pack in general is very so-so.

    Scotland don't have a scrum, but otherwise look strong.

    Italy are still in a building process, could sneak a win like in most years but a bit early for Conor O'Shea's lads this year.

    France haven't a clue. With any other team, that would be good news. But it's France, so we'll either put 40 on them or they'll put 40 on us. Who knows.

    Ireland look strong all around the park, and are relatively injury free. We should be looking to win this.

    Wales don’t have a back row? Come on mate navidi , tipuric , moriarty , falateau, Davies are all quality players , back 3 should be ok Liam Williams ,halfpenny, josh Adams looks good , Amos , north if fit


  • Subscribers Posts: 36,214 ✭✭✭✭ sydthebeat


    France might play dupoint and Belleau as their half backs,... Two exciting but young and inexperienced players. If we play a choking game against them they may crack under the pressure of not being able to influence the game. VDF to start then, with POM and Stander.


  • Registered Users Posts: 16,942 ✭✭✭✭ razorblunt


    Don’t know what’s happened in Glasgow but Zander Faqerson has been set right up. As per his Twitter.
    Gutted to be injured. Will be interesting to see how the Scotland team goes without me at the beginning of the 6 nations


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 Dog Botherer


    MDunne14 wrote: »
    Wales don’t have a back row? Come on mate navidi , tipuric , moriarty , falateau, Davies are all quality players , back 3 should be ok Liam Williams ,halfpenny, josh Adams looks good , Amos , north if fit

    Faletau is injured, Moriarty is only back from injury, Tipuric is grand but after that they're seriously scraping the bottom of the barrel of mediocrity. Back 3 is similar, Halfpenny's form has gone off a cliff, Liam Williams is only back from injury a few days, North is permacrocked, Amos is still injured. Could well see a back 3 of Cuthbert, Scott Williams, and Halfpenny, with some young lad on the bench.

    I stand by my statement.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭ prawnsambo


    razorblunt wrote: »
    Don’t know what’s happened in Glasgow but Zander Faqerson has been set right up. As per his Twitter.
    Not sure what you mean. :confused:

    Fagerson dropped a weights bench on his foot. Out for six weeks.


  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 irishbucsfan


    razorblunt wrote: »
    Don’t know what’s happened in Glasgow but Zander Faqerson has been set right up. As per his Twitter.

    Ali Price is almost certainly responsible


  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ MDunne14


    Faletau is injured, Moriarty is only back from injury, Tipuric is grand but after that they're seriously scraping the bottom of the barrel of mediocrity. Back 3 is similar, Halfpenny's form has gone off a cliff, Liam Williams is only back from injury a few days, North is permacrocked, Amos is still injured. Could well see a back 3 of Cuthbert, Scott Williams, and Halfpenny, with some young lad on the bench.

    I stand by my statement.

    Tipuric is grand? He’s a far better player than vdf and leavy not to mention the job James Davies did on sob and Munster last year in semi and final,

    Back 3 will be Liam Williams , halfpenny and Adams , to think Scott Williams would play there shows ur knowledge really.. compare that to Irish back 3 , halfpenny > Kearney , Williams > earls and then stockdale and whoever


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭ Yeah_Right


    MDunne14 wrote: »
    Tipuric is grand? He’s a far better player than vdf and leavy not to mention the job James Davies did on sob and Munster last year in semi and final,

    Back 3 will be Liam Williams , halfpenny and Adams , to think Scott Williams would play there shows ur knowledge really.. compare that to Irish back 3 , halfpenny > Kearney , Williams > earls and then stockdale and whoever

    Liam Williams is a good player but he's also a hothead. Good chance he does something stupid that costs his team points. Halfpenny is a shell of the player he was and I never thought he was that good. He was a poor man's RK but he could kick goals.

    Amos, Adams, Cuthbert. Meh.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 Dog Botherer


    MDunne14 wrote: »
    Tipuric is grand? He’s a far better player than vdf and leavy not to mention the job James Davies did on sob and Munster last year in semi and final,

    Back 3 will be Liam Williams , halfpenny and Adams , to think Scott Williams would play there shows ur knowledge really.. compare that to Irish back 3 , halfpenny > Kearney , Williams > earls and then stockdale and whoever

    Leavy and VDF are at least as good as Tipuric on current form, if not better. James Davies is good but Gatland won't pick him. His loss.

    Scott Williams is one of the few fit outside backs left in Wales, so yeah, there's a very decent chance he could play there. Not that I think Gatland would want to, but he might not have much choice.

    Halfpenny is not better than Kearney on current form. He's playing like a drain and isn't even kicking his goals. Williams has been injured for months, Earls is in cracking form and is far less likely to make a game defining brain dead decision. Stockdale will more than likely be the other wing and unless Wales have somehow healed Raka of his injuries and given him a Welsh passport there isn't a wing in Europe better than Stockdale right now.


  • Registered Users Posts: 16,942 ✭✭✭✭ razorblunt


    prawnsambo wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean. :confused:

    Fagerson dropped a weights bench on his foot. Out for six weeks.

    It's not exactly the most humble of tweets, makes it look like he's a one man superstar.
    My point was that he's obviously fallen into a Zebo on the Lions Tour type forfeit or left his phone unlocked.

    Ali Price is almost certainly responsible

    Yep! Gave him self away by replying too quickly.
    Clever though, it's got that uncanny valley - this might be real vibe off it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭ prawnsambo


    razorblunt wrote: »
    It's not exactly the most humble of tweets, makes it look like he's a one man superstar.
    My point was that he's obviously fallen into a Zebo on the Lions Tour type forfeit or left his phone unlocked.
    I think it was some kind of forfeit


  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ MDunne14


    Leavy and VDF are at least as good as Tipuric on current form, if not better. James Davies is good but Gatland won't pick him. His loss.

    Scott Williams is one of the few fit outside backs left in Wales, so yeah, there's a very decent chance he could play there. Not that I think Gatland would want to, but he might not have much choice.

    Halfpenny is not better than Kearney on current form. He's playing like a drain and isn't even kicking his goals. Williams has been injured for months, Earls is in cracking form and is far less likely to make a game defining brain dead decision. Stockdale will more than likely be the other wing and unless Wales have somehow healed Raka of his injuries and given him a Welsh passport there isn't a wing in Europe better than Stockdale right now.

    If vdf and leavy are better than tipuric why weren’t they on two lions tours?? Well gatland picked Davies in the squad so unless you’ve got inside knowledge he might pick him ,

    On current form? Kearney can’t even get a start for Leinster at the moment and at least halfpenny can kick and offer something unlike Kearney ... Williams was injured yes but so has earls and again Williams was in nz while earls was playing for the shags against Japan , stockdale is a cracking player but it’s his first 6n can’t expect him to do everything ... Williams will almost certainly be 13 , I’d say there’s more chance of me playing on the wing as they have 3/4 fit wingers


  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ MDunne14


    MDunne14 wrote: »
    Tipuric is grand? He’s a far better player than vdf and leavy not to mention the job James Davies did on sob and Munster last year in semi and final,

    Back 3 will be Liam Williams , halfpenny and Adams , to think Scott Williams would play there shows ur knowledge really.. compare that to Irish back 3 , halfpenny > Kearney , Williams > earls and then stockdale and whoever

    Not having falateau didn’t stop Wales smashing us last year in Cardiff it’d be stupid to right them off because they’ve a few carrying knocks


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,224 ✭✭✭✭ Venjur


    MDunne14 wrote: »
    Not having falateau didn’t stop Wales smashing us last year in Cardiff it’d be stupid to right them off because they’ve a few carrying knocks

    I haven't read all the posts but I'd be surprised if anyone is writing them off. However with a weakened squad and a lot of new combinations the likelihood is that they will show up for 1 or 2 big games at home but otherwise struggle for consistency over the tournament. Some of their first choice options are top class but the depth isn't there and no team is going to get through the tournament without a few knocks ruling lads out. That's where the problems really start.

    It's unfortunate that the games they tend to really get up for are against us. I don't think it will matter this year, we will smash them on our way to the Grand Slam.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭ prawnsambo


    MDunne14 wrote: »
    If vdf and leavy are better than tipuric why weren’t they on two lions tours??
    Age and experience? Leavy is 23 and JVdF is 24. In 2013, Leavy was 19 and JVdF was 20. In 2017 Leavy had less than half an hour of international rugby and Josh Van der Flier had seven caps to his name. Also both are currently behind SOB and POM in an Ireland context and both of those players went on the Lions tour in 2017.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭ prawnsambo


    Eddie Jones has just signed a contract extension until August 2021.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭ Yeah_Right


    prawnsambo wrote: »
    Age and experience? Leavy is 23 and JVdF is 24. In 2013, Leavy was 19 and JVdF was 20. In 2017 Leavy had less than half an hour of international rugby and Josh Van der Flier had seven caps to his name. Also both are currently behind SOB and POM in an Ireland context and both of those players went on the Lions tour in 2017.

    You reply was much more civilised than mine was going to be. I had to check their ages because I was wondering if they were still in high school in 2013. I see they weren't but had they played a game of professional rugby?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭ prawnsambo


    Yeah_Right wrote: »
    You reply was much more civilised than mine was going to be. I had to check their ages because I was wondering if they were still in high school in 2013. I see they weren't but had they played a game of professional rugby?
    No, they hadn't. Both had their first starts for Leinster in late 2014. At the start of the 2014/15 season.


Advertisement