Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

6N Tournament 2018 (non-Irish TT)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Is Remi Lamerat expected to be fit for the Ireland game?

He is already fit. He played last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Is Remi Lamerat expected to be fit for the Ireland game?
    He played against Saints at the weekend. Did he get injured again?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

prawnsambo wrote: »
    He played against Saints at the weekend. Did he get injured again?

Guess I just missed that, thanks. So he is fit then. Very good player.

Guess I just missed that, thanks. So he is fit then. Very good player.
    Yeah. I expect it will be him and Chavancy who will start against Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Haskell's been banned for the England's first two 6N games.

They're running quite low on proven quality backrow forwards. And even Haskell isn't top quality either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Well you can scratch Bastareaud off the available list to play Ireland. He got three weeks which includes the France v Ireland match. Free to play after that.

Haskell just got 4 weeks.. really thought Bastareaud would get longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Incredibly inexperienced French squad. The most capped backrow player has 15 caps!

I don't follow Top14 as closely anymore but there are a lot names I don't recognise.

Incredibly inexperienced French squad. The most capped backrow player has 15 caps!

I don't follow Top14 as closely anymore but there are a lot names I don't recognise.
    Their selections at lock are fairly young too. Vahaamahina is the oldest at 26. The others are 23 or 24. Same in the back row where the oldest are Lauret and Gourdon. THe others are 21, 22 and 23. The 8 is 24.

It's going to be interesting how they manage in such a tough game. They don't exactly have winning form behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Their selections at lock are fairly young too. Vahaamahina is the oldest at 26. The others are 23 or 24. Same in the back row where the oldest are Lauret and Gourdon. THe others are 21, 22 and 23. The 8 is 24.

It's going to be interesting how they manage in such a tough game. They don't exactly have winning form behind them.

Maybe they are just accepting this 6N as a write off and building for the future. Not sure the French fans will accept that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,780 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Clegg wrote: »
    Haskell's been banned for the England's first two 6N games.

They're running quite low on proven quality backrow forwards. And even Haskell isn't top quality either.

Agreed, well over the hill.

Im going out on a limb to say England will have lost a game before we meet them in Twickenham and that we wont have. Some bookies will give you 5/1 for Ireland to win the slam, im taking it.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Agreed, well over the hill.

Im going out on a limb to say England will have lost a game before we meet them in Twickenham and that we wont have. Some bookies will give you 5/1 for Ireland to win the slam, im taking it.

I think we're going to win the slam this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I couldn’t see the image on page 1 of the Scottish squad before, only seeing it now. Good to see Laidlaw lose the captaincy, I think he holds them back. This makes him droppable too. He shouldn’t have walked back into the squad anyway but SRU politics would dictate Townsend is probably better off dropping him Than not including him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Some really interesting calls there from England but they're still going to be putting out a top class front five with great bench options which will see them through their opening couple of games comfortably.

I can see Jones reverting to his 2017 plan with Itoje going to 6 and the England pack squeezing the life out of opponents.

I don't see past an England title again, unfortunately. If Scotland had a front row, I think they would have a sneaking chance of catching England out but I expect them to be steam rolled up front now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Mallinder?

I've yet to see any justification for the hype around Isiekwe too.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Mallinder?

I've yet to see any justification for the hype around Isiekwe too.
    I suspect that the likes of him and Marcus Smith are being brought in for development. Good few new caps who may not see any action. Although Italy may provide a good training run for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Interesting squad, still plenty of quality despite several injuries to big players

I think England are the rightful favourites here. They haven't lost a match at Twickenham since 2012 in this competition when they had an experimental campaign, making wholesale changes since RWC 2011.

Scotland might be their only real banana skin away from home but can't see the English underestimating them and they're well able to win ugly under Jones.

Here's the England squad in the normal layout:

Prop
    Mako Vunipola (Saracens) 44
    Lewis Boyce (Harlequins) 0
    Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers) 77
    Alec Hepburn (Exeter Chiefs) 0
    Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins) 8
    Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs) 5
    Hooker
    Tom Dunn (Bath Rugby) 0
    Jamie George (Saracens) 20
    Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints) 89
    Lock
    Nick Isiekwe (Saracens) 2
    Maro Itoje (Saracens) 14
    Joe Launchbury (Wasps) 47
    George Kruis (Saracens) 21
    Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints) 61
    Flanker
    Gary Graham (Newcastle Falcons) 0
    Chris Robshaw (Harlequins) 59
    Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs) 3
    Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby) 3
    Number 8
    Zach Mercer (Bath Rugby) 0
    Scrum half
    Danny Care (Harlequins) 76
    Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers) 73
    Out half
    Harry Mallinder (Northampton Saints) 0
    Marcus Smith (Harlequins) 0
    George Ford (Leicester Tigers) 40
    Alex Lozowski (Saracens) 4
    Centre
    Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby) 35
    Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs) 10
    Ben Te’o (Worcester Warriors) 8
    Owen Farrell (Saracens) 53
    Back three
    Mike Brown (Harlequins) 64
    Nathan Earle (Saracens) 0
    Jonny May (Leicester Tigers) 29
    Denny Solomona (Sale Sharks) 2
    Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby) 28
    Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs) 23

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

So what's the likely line-up for Italy?

Brown - Watson - JJ - Farrell - May/Nowell - Ford - Youngs - Vunipola - Hartley - Cole - Launchbury - Lawes - Itoje - Robshaw - Simmonds

Or similar?

I'd imagine George, Sinckler and Teo will be kept in reserve for impact. He could always do the same with Lawes

It seems mad to have 3 Leicester backs in there though given their awful form, but EJ hasn't really tended to pick on club form to date

jr86 wrote: »
    So what's the likely line-up for Italy?

Brown - Watson - JJ - Farrell - May/Nowell - Ford - Youngs - Vunipola - Hartley - Cole - Launchbury - Lawes - Itoje - Robshaw - Simmonds

Or similar?

I'd imagine George, Sinckler and Teo will be kept in reserve for impact. He could always do the same with Lawes

It seems mad to have 3 Leicester backs in there though given their awful form, but EJ hasn't really tended to pick on club form to date
    Yeah, but it's Ford, Youngs and May. Who have always stepped up at international level. Also, if he doesn't start Ford, he has to put Owen Farrell at ten and that leaves his centre options tight enough, especially if he wants a second playmaker on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Not sure you could say Jonny May has always stepped up at international level...

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MDunne14

Here's the England squad in the normal layout:

Prop
    Mako Vunipola (Saracens) 44
    Lewis Boyce (Harlequins) 0
    Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers) 77
    Alec Hepburn (Exeter Chiefs) 0
    Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins) 8
    Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs) 5
    Hooker
    Tom Dunn (Bath Rugby) 0
    Jamie George (Saracens) 20
    Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints) 89
    Lock
    Nick Isiekwe (Saracens) 2
    Maro Itoje (Saracens) 14
    Joe Launchbury (Wasps) 47
    George Kruis (Saracens) 21
    Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints) 61
    Flanker
    Gary Graham (Newcastle Falcons) 0
    Chris Robshaw (Harlequins) 59
    Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs) 3
    Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby) 3
    Number 8
    Zach Mercer (Bath Rugby) 0
    Scrum half
    Danny Care (Harlequins) 76
    Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers) 73
    Out half
    Harry Mallinder (Northampton Saints) 0
    Marcus Smith (Harlequins) 0
    George Ford (Leicester Tigers) 40
    Alex Lozowski (Saracens) 4
    Centre
    Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby) 35
    Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs) 10
    Ben Te’o (Worcester Warriors) 8
    Owen Farrell (Saracens) 53
    Back three
    Mike Brown (Harlequins) 64
    Nathan Earle (Saracens) 0
    Jonny May (Leicester Tigers) 29
    Denny Solomona (Sale Sharks) 2
    Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby) 28
    Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs) 23

Mallinder is a 15 and Eddie jones has made that known publicly , can’t see where his selection has come from he’s statistically one of the worst players in prem and at 21 he’s not in as an apprentice like Marcus smith

MDunne14 wrote: »
    Mallinder is a 15 and Eddie jones has made that known publicly , can’t see where his selection has come from he’s statistically one of the worst players in prem and at 21 he’s not in as an apprentice like Marcus smith
    He's also a centre. He could be a bench option at 23 because of his versatility.

He's also a centre. He could be a bench option at 23 because of his versatility.

He won’t get near it as a centre as they have nowell, Slade , jj , faz , teo and lozowski potentially .. all of them are ahead of him and manu when he joins up with the squad in 6n

He won’t get near it as a centre as they have nowell, Slade , jj , faz , teo and lozowski potentially .. all of them are ahead of him and manu when he joins up with the squad in 6n

Nowell will be 23 I think can cover wing , 13 and 15

You keep talking amongst yourself. :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Bazzo wrote: »
    Not sure you could say Jonny May has always stepped up at international level...

He's always stepped sideways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Looks like I was right, England really don’t have a back row... :p

Looks like I was right, England really don’t have a back row... :p

Itoje 6 robshaw 7 simmonds 8 will do for their first two games until Hughes is back not to mention underhill is every bit as good as leavy or jvdf if you watch him closely he’s a quality 7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Itoje 6 robshaw 7 simmonds 8 will do for their first two games until Hughes is back not to mention underhill is every bit as good as leavy or jvdf if you watch him closely he’s a quality 7

Itoje is a quality player. World class but he is a better lock than blindside. Obviously England has an abundance of good locks and not are weak in the loose forward department so I can the logic.

Robshaw is a very average 7. Stopgap only. I think he would be better as a blindside, similar to Ruddock. There are at least half a dozen players in Ireland who are better 7s than Robshaw.

Simmons I don't know much about as I don't get to watch much of the AP.

Underhill looks promising. How much international experience does he have?

Hughes is a one trick pony and he can fade in and out of matches. Admittedly it can be a very good trick.

Advertisement