Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Friends was racist and sexist"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,019 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Indeed, posterity will definitely not look kindly on gen x. They’re the ones in political and economic power through the boom and bust, the ones who dithered when climate change was important, the ones who saddled future generations with debt in exchange for their own gratification and presided over the stagnation of whales for those coming after them.

Say what you like about millennials, they’re the product of those that came before them.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭pemay

What does that tell me? It tells me they get active on things that interest them and not all issues interest them to the same extent. If they’re interested in a legislative issue they’re more likely to vote. If they’re interested in a social issue they’re likely to use social media.

It’s fair to say they’re interested in gender and socially equality issues at the moment so it’s not surprising that they found the gay/transgender jokes and complete lack of ethnic diversity, unusual compare to today. And they’re right, because it’s a product of its time. Nothing unusual about it

I'd agree with the other poster in general, I really don't think these people are interested in anything other than themselves.

If they were interested in social injustice theyd be off to the far reaches of the earth where serious problems exist. They would make personal sacrifices, theyd be more interested in demonstrating as opposed to complaining.

But just think about how easy the likes of this friends thing is! They can rack up their snowflake kudos points from the comfort of their 500 quid phone in a trendy artisan café in a first word country.

Are they concerned about sexism in India? Not a chance, its about celebrities and social media in the most advanced countries in the world instead.

Ethnic rights in dirt holes like Myanmar? Not a chance, its all about what a boss said in a some cushy office job in their metropolitan city while drinking cocktails in a fashionable restaurant. Its a load of steaming shyte!

One way is difficult and requires an actual belief system, dedication and effort. The other is easy, oh so bloody easy.

In fact, its not about anyone else, its all about "me".

These hypocritical, sheep-skin puritans will be laughed at in the near future :)

If people are getting upset by the racist and sexism in Friends (and are they really?), they should look at the Channel 4 series of programmes about programmes made in the past, It Was Alright In the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s. They are free to view on the website and are accessible in Ireland (unlike the BBC stuff).

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/it-was-alright-in-the

Yeah and they’d notice the racism/sexism/homophobia in those shows too. What’s the objection to them spotting this things in more recent shows?

Yeah and they’d notice the racism/sexism/homophobia in those shows too. What’s the objection to them spotting this things in more recent shows?

Moreso, whats the point? The way these things are put forward, youd think a new age of enlightenment was upon us!

Its a talking point for people with nothing better to do, and if they didn't want to go to their graves being laughed at and mocked by their own children and grandchildren......it might be an idea to lay off the precedent.

But that would require long term thought!

pemay wrote: »
    I'd agree with the other poster in general, I really don't think these people are interested in anything other than themselves.

If they were interested in social injustice theyd be off to the far reaches of the earth where serious problems exist. They would make personal sacrifices, theyd be more interested in demonstrating as opposed to complaining.

But just think about how easy the likes of this friends thing is! They can rack up their snowflake kudos points from the comfort of their 500 quid phone in a trendy artisan café in a first word country.

Are they concerned about sexism in India? Not a chance, its about celebrities and social media in the most advanced countries in the world instead.

Ethnic rights in dirt holes like Myanmar? Not a chance, its all about what a boss said in a some cushy office job in their metropolitan city while drinking cocktails in a fashionable restaurant. Its a load of steaming shyte!

One way is difficult and requires an actual belief system, dedication and effort. The other is easy, oh so bloody easy.

These hypocritical, sheep-skin puritans will be laughed at in the near future :)

Are you not interested in social injustice or have you been to India and Myanmar already?

‘Millenials are only interested in themselves’? Compared to who? The current 40-70 year olds? Maybe you think they’ve built a wonderful political system with the future in mind, but I don’t think that’s true.

You’ll know what issues the young people are interested in because they’ll tell you. So what if they are more interested in gay marriage in Ireland than oppression in Myanmar? They had an opportunity to do something tangible about one issue and not much influence over the other issue.

Is anyone really saying the millenials are different from other generations? (Let me guess, you’re own generation is one of the better ones. Yawn)

• Advertisement

Are you not interested in social injustice or have you been to India and Myanmar already?

‘Millenials are only interested in themselves’? Compared to who? The current 40-70 year olds? Maybe you think they’ve built a wonderful political system with the future in mind, but I don’t think that’s true.

You’ll know what issues the young people are interested in because they’ll tell you. So what if they are more interested in gay marriage in Ireland than oppression in Myanmar? They had an opportunity to do something tangible about one issue and not much influence over the other issue.

Is anyone really saying the millenials are different from other generations? (Let me guess, you’re own generation is one of the better ones. Yawn)

Everyone is self-interested, but can you point out any other generation that didn't almost entirely exist on the premise of moaning about other people?

That's the difference, the hypocrisy and laziness of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Farmer Bob

The Baby Boomers were, and still are, the original 'me' generation. Stop deluding yourself...

Farmer Bob wrote: »
    The Baby Boomers were, and still are, the original 'me' generation. Stop deluding yourself...

I don't think you had time to read my comment directly above.

Yes, everyone is self interested. Every generation is self interested.

But besides this current wave of people, what other generation practically defined itself by moaning about other people (even though they are still only interested in themselves)

No delusion whatsoever on my end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I've no interest in snowflake millennials but I'd admit that Friends has dated very badly.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Indeed, posterity will definitely not look kindly on gen x. They’re the ones in political and economic power through the boom and bust, the ones who dithered when climate change was important, the ones who saddled future generations with debt in exchange for their own gratification and presided over the stagnation of whales for those coming after them.

Say what you like about millennials, they’re the product of those that came before them.

Erm...I think you are a generation out actually. That’s the Baby Boomers (1946-64) you are referring to. They’re the generation that shafted over those who came after. Gen X are only now getting their hands on power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Farmer Bob

I don't think you had time to read my comment directly above.

And you didn't read my last post either
    I find that snowflake-y behaviour transcends age boundaries.

I work with quite a few so-called Milennials in their late teens and early twenties and find them to be less up-their-own-arse than people twice their age. Definitely not a generation of whiners or SJWs imo...

It's funny to hear people bitch about milennials when they don't have a clue what they're talking about - basing their ideas on what a handful of idiots are complaining about on Twitter or whatever...

And you didn't read my last post either

It's funny to hear people bitch about milennials when they don't have a clue what they're talking about - basing their ideas on what a handful of idiots are complaining about on Twitter or whatever...

That was that other bloke that somehow turned this into a "millennial" thing.

I'm considered a millennial too. I'm not so much talking about specific groupings based on age, but there is definitely a very large and loud cohort of people that in the last 10 years have become insufferable self-interested mouthpieces trying to out-outrage each other.

Like picking on this friends thing (so stupid!)

And I think that's a new-ish phenomena.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Some humourless no-life Herbert like @samrboland will whinge that the word ‘spade’ is a slur on black people

You cant refer to Samboland anymore. That went out in the seventies.

And the campaign to have spades and clubs on playing cards changed from b***k to blue never got off the ground at all, and I dont see it ever succeeding.

pemay wrote:
    Everyone is self-interested, but can you point out any other generation that didn't almost entirely exist on the premise of moaning about other people?

That's the difference, the hypocrisy and laziness of it all.

I can't agree with that. We're discussing a millennial ,(someone suggested he's 40 which would actually be gen X) with a few hundred followers on Twitter. His tweets were picked up and made famous for the purpose of annoying people who like to give out about millennials.

In previous generations he would only have been able to share his views by word of mouth.

Sure the baby boomer hippies were always moaning about something or other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

And the campaign to have spades and clubs on playing cards changed from b***k to blue never got off the ground at all, and I dont see it ever succeeding.
    Donald Trump wants his blue blazer black...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Because they didn’t. Fake news.

Anyway we are hardly in a politically correct age - just watch jimmy Carr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The left in previous generations was opposed to income inequality (in general not just between certain groups) and opposed American wars etc. American millenials never protest the continuous wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

The left in previous generations was opposed to income inequality (in general not just between certain groups) and opposed American wars etc. American millenials never protest the continuous wars.

The American anti-war movement disappeared as soon as the Democrats took office again.

Who is opposing American wars etc?
    Because they didn’t. Fake news.

That's what this thread is about. Some millenials spotted the fact that there were only white people and stodgy gay jokes etc.
    Anyway we are hardly in a politically correct age - just watch jimmy Carr

Jimmy Carr, Katie Hopkins, Frankie Boyle are designed to be shocking. It's what distinguishes them.

As far as I can see, the fact that millenials spotted those things about a show from the 90 shows that culture has changed since then. It's completely normal.

“The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise”
    Socrates

Young people have always found fault with their elders methods. Old people complaining that the youngsters aren’t as good as previous generations is exactly as unoriginal as when Sacrates said it.

So modern youngsters see the fact that friends has an entirely white cast and old fashioned gay jokes. It’s completely normal for them to push the boundaries. Fair play to them. It’s their job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Oh f*ck off.

1 billion times this...

Some people really need a dose of reality, preferably shoved up their h*le at super sonic speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Rugbyf565

Millennials are the toughest age group to manage now a days. They are entilted and narcissistic, self interested, unfocused and lazy. Entilted is the big one however.

Rugbyf565 wrote: »
    Millennials are the toughest age group to manage now a days. They are entilted and narcissistic, self interested, unfocused and lazy. Entilted is the big one however.

The problem with millenials (in my opinion) is they have life too easy for the most part. Going back to when my parents were growing up (50+ years ago), life was tough (I'm 28 in case anyone's wondering). Typical bog standard working class family. Had to walk miles to the nearest shop, only had a radio for entertainment (if even that) and ate whatever food was available to them. Even electricity was a luxury. Exactly as you said Rugby, entitled! They have no appreciation for the things in life: electricity, food, water, having a roof over their heads. They're about as much in tune with reality as Trump is an environmentalist.

Now obviously some people these days don't have it so easy as others, what with homelessness and everything being an issue now. But for the general "entitled" populous, they have things way too easy.

jaxxx wrote: »
    The problem with millenials (in my opinion) is they have life too easy for the most part. Going back to when my parents were growing up (50+ years ago), life was tough (I'm 28 in case anyone's wondering). Typical bog standard working class family. Had to walk miles to the nearest shop, only had a radio for entertainment (if even that) and ate whatever food was available to them. Even electricity was a luxury. Exactly as you said Rugby, entitled! They have no appreciation for the things in life: electricity, food, water, having a roof over their heads. They're about as much in tune with reality as Trump is an environmentalist.

Now obviously some people these days don't have it so easy as others, what with homelessness and everything being an issue now. But for the general "entitled" populous, they have things way too easy.
    One can blame failed 'modern' parenting techniques for this and also the post modernist culture that has developed. These days everyone is sensitive and it's easy to be labelled a 'misogynist' a 'nazi' or 'homophobic' as a result. No longer is there a 'struggle' process and that's why we're failing! One needs to go through struggle in order to succeed. Technology has influenced us in a bad way too, laziness and instant gratification is very prevalent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Conspectus wrote: »
    It is well known and has been said before. As sh!te as Friends is/was it was shot in front of a live audience. A live audience of stupid Americans.

Well, I loved the first five seasons of Friends. I must be stupid, I guess!

Rugbyf565 wrote: »
    One can blame failed 'modern' parenting techniques for this and also the post modernist culture that has developed. These days everyone is sensitive and is easy to be labelled a 'misogynist' a 'nazi' or 'homophobic'. No longer is there a 'struggle' process and that's why we're failing! One needs to go through struggle in order to succeed. Technology has influenced us in a bad way too, laziness and instant gratification is very prevalent.

Worst parenting method in human history: using tv/computers/any technology as a babysitter!

100% agree with you. I have a hypothesis that there is a direct link between the rise in the evolution of technology and a fall in ours. People today are so obsessed with 'labels'. Something absolutely has to be 'this or that', there's no room for compromise or negotiation. Everything has to be 'black or white', not shades of grey.

And that's why we're doomed. I for one am fully prepared to embrace our future robot overlords... I just wish they'd hurry it up a little!

jaxxx wrote: »
    Worst parenting method in human history: using tv/computers/any technology as a babysitter!

100% agree with you. I have a hypothesis that there is a direct link between the rise in the evolution of technology and a fall in ours. People today are so obsessed with 'labels'. Something absolutely has to be 'this or that', there's no room for compromise or negotiation. Everything has to be 'black or white', not shades of grey.

And that's why we're doomed. I for one am fully prepared to embrace our future robot overlords... I just wish they'd hurry it up a little!
    Exactly. I recommend you watch a bit of 'Jordan Peterson' on YouTube, he's a Clincal Psychologist and Lecturer. He puts up videos of his lectures and opinions on his views on this topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,167 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I do wonder what will be the next thing attacked and be forced to shut down because its 'offensive' to some group out there.

I was listening to the radio on the school run this morning, and I heard the massive selling, award winning Bruno Mars singing the lines "So many pretty girls around me and they waking up the rocket".

Now this is quite obviously saying they are giving him an erection. Add to this his videos have a lot of scantily clad women walking around in them.

Will stuff like this be next on the list? Demeaning lyrics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Friends wasn't the funniest thing ever but it had its moments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

As far as I can see, the fact that millenials spotted those things about a show from the 90 shows that culture has changed since then. It's completely normal.

You're mixing up "spotted" with "invented"

Advertisement