Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Friends was racist and sexist"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

This guy is clearly 40+. Not a millennial. Or on the edge of it. Not young.

He noticed friends was transphobic when he first watched it as an older teenager. That was before transphobia was a thing.

The other thing about “whiteness” is it’s a totally American construct. Irish people aren’t as powerful as American blacks (regardless of their position within American society). It’s not like we can stop America’s genocidal wars on the Middle East.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

The cure for millennials is probably yourself to stop getting older.

Young people see fault in the way things were done by their elders. They highlight the problems they see, their elders disagree then die off and things change. Then they grow old and their children highlight faults in the way they do things. Things change and so on.

And all of that can be done without whining like little puppies. Yet they continue...and it becomes Pettier and Pettier each time

Now if your point was really valid.... we'd see huge changes in the government huge changes in public services...huge changes in the institutional corruption..but we don't...nor do we see ANY active citizenship.. instead we see fake , plastic internet activists who are little more that keyboard warriors who wouldn't lift their a** off the seat except to go to Starbucks

No, now what we have is a group of oversensitive, indulged, hyper sensitive snowflakes who like to pretend to care about values and spend all theirs time moaning about irrelevant nonsensical crap like media coverage and first world problems like how they can't afford their €400k mortgage or how somebody exercising their right of free speech is harmful

Times have changed indeed...people's skin is now as thin as cling film.... and they've exactly zero coping skills to deal with anything that deviates from their narrow minded bubble wrapped worldview

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

(Master of None does a really interesting episode about ethnic characters in shows).

Nope. We're not allowed watch that anymore now that Aziz Ansari is an evil woman abuser.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I’m a millennial and absolutely love friends.

What these people are, are not millennials but a small minority of snowflakes who get annoyed and decide to rant at the smallest of things.

The world is giving in to this small minority and the world is becoming a worse place for it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Irish people aren’t as powerful as American blacks.

Lets not go mental now.

doylefe wrote: »
    Lets not go mental now.

Hardly. American blacks are part of the US imperialist hegemony. I can’t do much about the attacks on yemen or invasions of Libya, Iraq and Syria. American blacks can but don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,095 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

pone2012 wrote: »
    And all of that can be done without whining like little puppies. Yet they continue...and it becomes Pettier and Pettier each time

Now if your point was really valid.... we'd see huge changes in the government huge changes in public services...huge changes in the institutional corruption..but we don't...nor do we see ANY active citizenship.. instead we see fake , plastic internet activists who are little more that keyboard warriors who wouldn't lift their a** off the seat except to go to Starbucks/quote]

The issues that they campaign on will determine the types of changes that occur. Young people have always protested in one way or another.

Political corruption is an interesting one because politicians are chosen by older people much more than by younger people. I’d love if younger people voted more reliably.

The issue doesn’t really matter to the point. Young people protest about social issues and older people think they’re being ridiculous. Then older people die out and culture changes. Then the cycle repeats. You’re kinda demonstrating how it works.

Can you honestly say the young people weren’t a big part of the gay marriage movement?

(Master of None does a really interesting episode about ethnic characters in shows).

Nope. We're not allowed watch that anymore now that Aziz Ansari is an evil woman abuser.

I havent kept up with that. What did he allegedly do?

His art is still relevant either way.

I havent kept up with that. What did he allegedly do?

His art is still relevant either way.

He had bad sex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Why are you even checking this random guys Twitter. At a certain point it just becomes stalking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Now if your point was really valid.... we'd see huge changes in the government huge changes in public services...huge changes in the institutional corruption..but we don't...nor do we see ANY active citizenship.. instead we see fake , plastic internet activists who are little more that keyboard warriors who wouldn't lift their a** off the seat except to go to Starbucks/quote]

The issues that they campaign on will determine the types of changes that occur. Young people have always protested in one way or another.

Political corruption is an interesting one because politicians are chosen by older people much more than by younger people. I’d love if younger people voted more reliably.

The issue doesn’t really matter to the point. Young people protest about social issues and older people think they’re being ridiculous. Then older people die out and culture changes. Then the cycle repeats. You’re kinda demonstrating how it works.

Can you honestly say the young people weren’t a big part of the gay marriage movement?

The very statement that you made proves my point...they will vote on what they think is important...but more importantly because it gives them something to "proudly" gloat about on social media.....that's not an active citizen... thats just idiot's fishing for likes and trying to look good under the public eye ... which I would argue was 70/80% of the group in question... because almost every one I spoke to had absolutely no clue what they were even voting for.

There was a more important vote regarding children's rights within a few weeks of that....the turnout was drastically lower... because that's not PC or a trendy topic to brag about being involved in...so it was ignored despite the fact that said children cannot even vote for themselves!

If it's a world where gay people are celebrated and children's rights are unimportant....what does that tell you?? Nothing outside of their bubble wrapped worldview is important...and in most cases it's something that causes offense

Lads.

Fix the quotes

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,320 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Annoying the way people look for issues where they don't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Friend imo was a bit like an American Mrs browns boys. Both ****e and unfunny. Racist and sexist though.??

Ffs......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

So Joey and Co are as bad as the Jew hunter now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Canned laughter for every single line. I've seen maybe 5 or 6 episodes. Racist - no, stupid - yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

It is well known and has been said before. As sh!te as Friends is/was it was shot in front of a live audience. A live audience of stupid Americans.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

When milk and certain types of bread can be deemed racist, perhaps accusing 90s Audienes as stupid is a stretch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Conspectus wrote: »
    It is well known and has been said before. As sh!te as Friends is/was it was shot in front of a live audience. A live audience of stupid Americans.

Laughter sounds 'real' in early series and fake after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I found the characters to be a somewhat childish, to be honest (eg - Pheobe* - a bit squeemish about nudity, and yet a massage therapist by trade...?) not to mention Chandler and Monica's first night together. And don't get me started on Joey.

Sexist? Every now and again, yes.

Racist? Never thought so.

Homophobic? Somewhat, but more on a childish innocent level than a bigoted way.

*yes, I am aware of the connection with the user name...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

timthumbni wrote: »
    Friend imo was a bit like an American Mrs browns boys. Both ****e and unfunny. Racist and sexist though.??.

Sure it was. But damned funny with it. I think we should call a spade a spade rather than trying to revise history and claim it isnt in Friends. A lot of racist and sexist humour is very funny. We live in a free society, and those who enjoy that kind of thing should be free to do so. The anti racist/sexist humour brigade have somehow gotten the idea that it is their responsibility to impose their view of what is acceptable on the rest of the world.
    Posterity will not look kindly on you Generation Snowflake.

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Canned laughter for every single line. I've seen maybe 5 or 6 episodes. Racist - no, stupid - yes.

it’s a live studio audience. Canned laughter is largely a myth.

And friends is fairly mediocre buts it’s hardly mrs browns boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

darkdubh wrote: »
    That Channel 4 show It Was Allright In The 70's was a prime example of taking advantage of retrospective snowflakeism. Picking out the most politically incorrect clips they can find from 70's sitcoms and showing them to easily triggered millenials to gauge their reactions. It felt like a cynical enterprise.

what was worse was the maddening habit of getting 10 minutes of interesting archive footage and then diluting it with talking-heads to make a 30 minute programme

Friend imo was a bit like an American Mrs browns boys. Both ****e and unfunny. Racist and sexist though.??.

Sure it was. But damned funny with it. I think we should call a spade a spade rather than trying to revise history and claim it isnt in Friends. A lot of racist and sexist humour is very funny. We live in a free society, and those who enjoy that kind of thing should be free to do so. The anti racist/sexist humour brigade have somehow gotten the idea that it is their responsibility to impose their view of what is acceptable on the rest of the world.

Funny maybe.. I’m a bit of a grinch anyway and I certainly didn’t find it so. I just think it’s ridiculous that a pretty brain dead yank sit com is now being criticised like it’s some reflection on society. It’s a joke.

Funny maybe.. I’m a bit of a grinch anyway and I certainly didn’t find it so. I just think it’s ridiculous that a pretty brain dead yank sit com is now being criticised like it’s some reflection on society. It’s a joke.

The very statement that you made proves my point...they will vote on what they think is important...but more importantly because it gives them something to "proudly" gloat about on social media.....that's not an active citizen... thats just idiot's fishing for likes and trying to look good under the public eye ... which I would argue was 70/80% of the group in question... because almost every one I spoke to had absolutely no clue what they were even voting for.

There was a more important vote regarding children's rights within a few weeks of that....the turnout was drastically lower... because that's not PC or a trendy topic to brag about being involved in...so it was ignored despite the fact that said children cannot even vote for themselves!

If it's a world where gay people are celebrated and children's rights are unimportant....what does that tell you?? Nothing outside of their bubble wrapped worldview is important...and in most cases it's something that causes offense

What does that tell me? It tells me they get active on things that interest them and not all issues interest them to the same extent. If they’re interested in a legislative issue they’re more likely to vote. If they’re interested in a social issue they’re likely to use social media.

It’s fair to say they’re interested in gender and socially equality issues at the moment so it’s not surprising that they found the gay/transgender jokes and complete lack of ethnic diversity, unusual compare to today. And they’re right, because it’s a product of its time. Nothing unusual about it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

goose2005 wrote: »
    what was worse was the maddening habit of getting 10 minutes of interesting archive footage and then diluting it with talking-heads to make a 30 minute programme

its not like they have pele commenting on a football match.
    its more like a substitute left back for a 4th division relegation side from 10 years ago

its a bunch of nobodies commenting on something they know nothing about

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Farmer Bob

I think we should call a spade a spade...

Some humourless no-life Herbert like @samrboland will whinge that the word ‘spade’ is a slur on black people

I find that snowflake-y behaviour transcends age boundaries.

I work with quite a few so-called Milennials in their late teens and early twenties and find them to be less up-their-own-arse than people twice their age. Definitely not a generation of whiners or SJWs imo...

Ironically, the people who throw around the ‘snowflake’ label are the ones with the most fragile egos - in my experience they can’t handle any kind of criticism, or the idea that they aren’t right all the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

If people are getting upset by the racist and sexism in Friends (and are they really?), they should look at the Channel 4 series of programmes about programmes made in the past, It Was Alright In the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s. They are free to view on the website and are accessible in Ireland (unlike the BBC stuff).

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/it-was-alright-in-the

Edited to say that you have to register for a Channel 4 account but that's free and only takes a minute to do.

Advertisement