Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please hold on, the bus is about to move

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

devnull wrote: »
    The reason dwell time is so long in Dublin is because of the fare, ticketing and boarding system, driver interaction and the lack of using multiple doors at all times and having the environment to make the most of those kind of things.

Whether dwell time is factored into the timetable or not, the longer it is, the slower a bus takes to complete a journey and the longer the journey takes the less attractive public transport is.

I'm looking at this from a customer point of view.

I would dispute the lack of using multiple doors though.I have used 25-30 DB busses in the last 3 weeks and every one of them opened both the forward and aft doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

magentis wrote: »
    I would dispute the lack of using multiple doors though.I have used 25-30 DB busses in the last 3 weeks and every one of them opened both the forward and aft doors.

But you still get the occasional driver who doesn't use them and still not every bus has them. Also the lack of centre doors are only partly to blame for dwell times as there are still people paying and people going less than 13 stages on leap so a queue will form at the stop. Even with the right hand validators there can still be a queue if the stop is busy.

To really cut down times I think three door buses would be the way forward even they are never going to happen cities that have them generally have a system of board at the front and rear doors and exit at the centre all validitation is done while the bus is in motion meaning the bus operates similar to a train/tram as the only dwell times are to allow board and disembark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Stephen15 wrote: »
    But you still get the occasional driver who doesn't use them and still not every bus has them. Also the lack of centre doors are only partly to blame for dwell times as there are still people paying and people going less than 13 stages on leap so a queue will form at the stop. Even with the right hand validators there can still be a queue if the stop is busy.

To really cut down times I think three door buses would be the way forward even they are never going to happen cities that have them generally have a system of board at the front and rear doors and exit at the centre all validitation is done while the bus is in motion meaning the bus operates similar to a train/tram as the only dwell times are to allow board and disembark.

Can't imagine that validation on the move would work here.Imagine the hysteria."The bus driver moved while I was holding my leap card to the validator".Think of the court cases!Shame this government doesn't rate brt,trams cause such chaos.

Advertisement