Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please hold on, the bus is about to move

Options
  • 13-01-2018 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

While I know that London is often seen as a shining beacon of how to adopt existing practices to improve public transport in Ireland, please don't copy their latest greatest idea, which has been wrecking many a head since approximately yesterday. Particularly as it gets announced after each stop and usually some time after the bus has started moving...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Sure what harm

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

That's ridiculous and no need for it - what is worse is that the bus sounds like it's about to fall apart (typical for an Enviro 400) and the announcement happens after the bus starts moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Probably required by their insurance company to reduce claims from passengers seeking damages from falls as they weren't informed that the bus was about to move off. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It's ridiculous....

People I believe are getting stupider as years go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's ridiculous....

People I believe are getting stupider as years go by.

Probably down to the amount of people who made claims using the excuse they were unaware the bus was about to move

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

Well to be fair anytime I get on the bus and go upstairs the bus driver doesn't give you a second before they floor it and that sends you flying back. I've lost count the amount of times I've had to catch my kids who fell back even when they were holding the railings.

There's no excuse not to wait the extra 5 seconds as they can see on the camera when people are up the stairs and this is probably why theu have to alert people now

Well to be fair anytime I get on the bus and go upstairs the bus driver doesn't give you a second before they floor it and that sends you flying back. I've lost count the amount of times I've had to catch my kids who fell back even when they were holding the railings.

There's no excuse not to wait the extra 5 seconds as they can see on the camera when people are up the stairs and this is probably why theu have to alert people now

Just think about that.... 5 seconds and 100 stops as in Dublin they're ever 50 to 100 meters your bus would take an age to get there.

If you have kids or are in any way disabled or have a hard time balancing then upstairs isn't really the best place to be going.

Luas closed doors and moves, dart is the same, trains no different so I really can't fathom why people find it so difficult on a bus which is as its nature the most at risk of having to stop suddenly or even at the extreme swerve.

Hold handrails at all times and if kids are very small don't feel bad asking the driver do they mind giving a few seconds to sort the kids as most really wouldn't mind as so much is going on it can be difficult to notice kids and ones that may have difficulty.

Drivers of buses have an extremely difficult job and have to watch out for so much it is in no way easy or anything close to driving a car.

If you have kids or are in any way disabled or have a hard time balancing then upstairs isn't really the best place to be going.

Luas closed doors and moves, dart is the same, trains no different so I really can't fathom why people find it so difficult on a bus which is as its nature the most at risk of having to stop suddenly or even at the extreme swerve

These are all flat vehicles, I'm talling about when you are going up the stairs,The kids are fine at it, it's just the intials jerk from the bus driver flooring it while your walking up the stairs, it's knocks anyone off their balance
    Hold handrails at all times and if kids are very small don't feel bad asking the driver do they mind giving a few seconds to sort the kids as most really wouldn't mind as so much is going on it can be difficult to notice kids and ones that may have difficulty.
    Just think about that.... 5 seconds and 100 stops as in Dublin they're ever 50 to 100 meters your bus would take an age to get there.

I don't know if you realise but you've pretty much validated my point and contradicted your own?

These are all flat vehicles, I'm talling about when you are going up the stairs,The kids are fine at it, it's just the intials jerk from the bus driver flooring it while your walking up the stairs, it's knocks anyone off their balance

I don't know if you realise but you've pretty much validated my point and contradicted your own?

I give up

• Advertisement

I give up

That's fine.

I was just making a point about drivers flooring it while people are walking up stairs.

Anything other than that is fine as its easier to keep balancs on an even ground

Have a good evening

5 seconds...100 stops. Would add 8.3 minutes to the entire journey time. Hardly "take an age" territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

It also could be for people who are visually impaired like elevators saying the floor or if it's up or down, the dimples on the ground on paths to show a lower edge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Probably required by their insurance company to reduce claims from passengers seeking damages from falls as they weren't informed that the bus was about to move off. :rolleyes:

That's a TFL annoucement not an BOC annoucements. I'm not entirely how litigation works in the UK but I would imagine that the BOC would get the blame in a accident not TFL.

On a side note we should hate these compo seeking idiots on public transport they drive up fares, create stupid regulations and delay us as they fall hurt themselves an ambulance is called hence delaying the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

I got on the 42 bus once, on 42nd St in NYC, the driver didn't move until anyone infirm or elderly was seated. I was impressed. Should be commonplace.

rushfan wrote: »
    I got on the 42 bus once, on 42nd St in NYC, the driver didn't move until anyone infirm or elderly was seated. I was impressed. Should be commonplace.

It is common place.... Drivers are taught this.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Luas closed doors and moves, dart is the same, trains no different so I really can't fathom why people find it so difficult on a bus
    Trams and trains, being restricted by rails and high inertia, don't move like buses.
    which is as its nature the most at risk of having to stop suddenly or even at the extreme swerve.
    But buses needs to 'swerve' when they pull off to get into traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

I was a London bus driver on the No 16 route from Cricklewood to Victoria.

Try pulling out from a bus stop on the Edgware Road in London and see if anyone will let you out! You go for it when you see a weak driver or just push out when you can, if you can. Never mind who is climbing the stairs!

Victor wrote: »
    Trams and trains, being restricted by rails and high inertia, don't move like buses.

But buses needs to 'swerve' when they pull off to get into traffic.

So exactly my point one should be prepared no matter what for a bumpy, hard braking excitable ride

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

devnull wrote: »
    That's ridiculous and no need for it - what is worse is that the bus sounds like it's about to fall apart (typical for an Enviro 400) and the announcement happens after the bus starts moving.

Are the newer ones still like that I wonder. The 400H espeically looks like a nice bus to be fair I wouldn't mind if the NTA ordered a few for here.

The older ones are basically a sexed up ALX400 and I agree the ones here in Dublin are real boneshakers and I'm looking forward to seeing the back of them however the inner bus enthusiast comes out in me when I travel on one on a wet as they have that olympian smell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

rushfan wrote: »
    That would be route M42, right? The NYC buses have alpha prefixes that denote which borough the route serves primarily, those being M for Manhattan, B for Brooklyn, Bx for Bronx, Q for Queens and S for Staten Island, with X denoting special express bus routes that run between Manhattan and the other boroughs. The bus cannot move while eldelry/infirm have not been seated, and there are some seats on the bus that require passengers to give up for those people too.

Just for the record, the M42 was a few years ago cited as one of Manhattan's slowest bus routes, suffering from an average speed of 3.4 miles per hour. That would be, IMHO, thanks to the awful amount of traffic that would be going from the Lincoln Tunnel to the Queens Midtown Tunnel (and vice versa that uses local streets thanks to the Mid-Manhattan Expressway not getting built due to complaints from NIMBYs. (Sometimes those elevated motorways are a wise decision.)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Compo culture - the gift that keeps on giving.

It's like the escalator in T1 Dublin Airport which plays a message on a loop telling people to hold on to the hand rail.

No one is responsible for their own safety anymore. The infantilisation of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

Compo culture - the gift that keeps on giving.

It's like the escalator in T1 Dublin Airport which plays a message on a loop telling people to hold on to the hand rail.

No one is responsible for their own safety anymore. The infantilisation of society.

Were raising a generation (which I'm embarrassed to be a member of) where a large section (thankfully, contrary to myth, not the majority) protest the mere notion of someone with an opinion they disagree with having the right to speak on their campus. Where in the social media sphere there is no longer such a thing as a good faith disagreement, everyone who does not agree with you is automatically the lowest form of puerile sc-m and a bad person. We live in a world where kids are told not to run on the playground because of insurance claims, where there have to be actual signs in a train bathroom saying "don't leave your infant unattended on the changing table" :confused:, where there are "no hitting back" policies in schools and the idea of "be careful and watch where you are going" has been replaced by "i have a right to compensation based on a sliding scale any time I have an accident". Thankfully we havn't got the participation trophy's here yet but I'm sure they're on the way.

We've taken the very reasonable idea that we should be more considerate of other peoples feelings, mental health etc and gone so far to the extreme with it that there are some who want to wrap the world in bubble wrap.

"Hold the handrails" should be common sense. I agree the acceleration is pretty extreme when you are going up those stairs but if you hold the rail you'll be ok. It used to be that busses and trains didn't have enough but since the train refits and new busses there are plenty of hand rails to grip.

If were getting into the territory of "hold on the bus is about to move" we may as well go the full whack:
    "wipe your runny nose"
    "don't forget to brush your teeth"
    "remember to eat carbohydrates with every meal"
    "get your flu shot"
    "do not cross the road until the green man shows"
    "do not leave your toddler alone with a lighter"

I'm all for a welfare state, I'd go full on Scandinavian, but can we not have a nanny state? please?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

To be fair, the announcement is probably overkill and poorly implemented, but I agree with posters above - it's a reflection of the "everything that happens to me is someone else's fault" society we live in.

On bus drivers lurching off from a standstill - very common, as is other fun activities like going too fast over speed ramps, or swerving between traffic islands meant to slow traffic as though they're trying to beat their lap time (the whole stretch between Northside SC and the Darndale Road on the 27 was/is terrible for this) :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

5 seconds...100 stops. Would add 8.3 minutes to the entire journey time. Hardly "take an age" territory.

Tell that to the people waiting for the return bus in the rain wondering why their bus is almost 10 mins late,or if the driver is doing 3 journeys,25 mins late on the last journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

There is little or no dwell time on the majority of routes.It appears that most were timed by someone with an out of service bus in the early hours of Sunday morning.

magentis wrote: »
    There is little or no dwell time on the majority of routes.It appears that most were timed by someone with an out of service bus in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Clearly you are not talking about Dublin as dwell time in Dublin is the highest by far of any capital city I have been in, especially in the city center where it is chronic.

Besides it's not going to add any more time on in London anyway in regards to dwell time since the announcements are not playing until AFTER the bus has started moving.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Are the newer ones still like that I wonder. The 400H espeically looks like a nice bus to be fair I wouldn't mind if the NTA ordered a few for here.

All of the original Enviro 400s are like that, every single one of them suffers from an extremely poorly designed pole system and an extremely poorly designed destination display back cover that makes them rattle - it's major selling points were that it was fuel efficient, lightweight and cheaper than other products.

The newer Enviro 400 MMC is certainly better. Nothing will beat the original Gemini VG/GT model but ultimately that bus was a heavy one and operators would far rather have a lighter bus that's cheaper to buy and uses less fuel than a better built one hence why the SG moved in the lightweight direction.

In any case, they are also testing some other features on the Enviro 400 vehicles in London and some more announcements, such as the one that is saying: "For your child's safety please remain with your buggy"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

All these automated announcements are doing is making public transport even more unpleasant.

• Advertisement

I support the idea of having stop names there but the rest of stuff is unnecessary.

Advertisement