Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did PCP work out in the end?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Best thing to do is negotiate how much it's costing first, then discuss how its paid for, ie PCP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

bazz26 wrote: »
    Best thing to do is negotiate how much it's costing first, then discuss how its paid for, ie PCP.
    this is what i tried to do!!
    I rang another dealer today and he immediately mentioned the 1500 offer and offered a far more realistic trade in price, hopefully we will do business

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭dinevalesco

Hi guys, quick query:

My 3 year PCP is up in March and I’m looking to change car brands.

Basically I currently have a Skoda Octavia and want to switch to a new Toyota Corolla Hybrid.

How do I go about doing that? Do I pay my settlement (GMFV) to them and then begin negotiations with trade-in values etc?

Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Frank Castle

Hi guys, quick query:

My 3 year PCP is up in March and I’m looking to change car brands.

Basically I currently have a Skoda Octavia and want to switch to a new Toyota Corolla Hybrid.

How do I go about doing that? Do I pay my settlement (GMFV) to them and then begin negotiations with trade-in values etc?

Thanks.

No need, you can go straight to Toyota and they will deal with it all from there for you.

You can of course pay the GMFV and trade the car to Toyota, but its easier if you go straight to Toyota tell them what is left on the PCP and let them take it over from there.

* One note: if you are a city driver then Hybrid is great. If you spend most of your time on motorways or going over 80kph, then you wont see the benefit from hybrid as you will burn through the electric charge too fast.

Its not that a Hybrid won't work but Hybrid excels in sub 80kph environments.
    I'd recommend going full electric if you spend all your time at high speeds (petrol or diesel if you don't care about the environment)

Cheers Frank, I really appreciate you getting back to me, and, on a side note, really looking forward to seeing you in Season 2 of The Punisher.

So, my GMFV is €10k.

What happens when I go to Toyota? Will they need me to give them €10k before any negotiations begin with trade in etc or will they just build it into my future repayments?

Worth noting:

My commute definitely suits a Hybrid. It’s in Stop/Starty traffic; 75% of the time driving sub-60kmph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Am I correct in thinking (probably not) that the GMFV is the value for the Garage rather than the person taking the car.

And what sounded like being a positive for the driver "guaranteed"+"value" was just good PR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Cheers Frank, I really appreciate you getting back to me, and, on a side note, really looking forward to seeing you in Season 2 of The Punisher.

So, my GMFV is €10k.

What happens when I go to Toyota? Will they need me to give them €10k before any negotiations begin with trade in etc or will they just build it into my future repayments?

The GMFV is the amount you still owe Skoda at the end so what will happen is Toyota will value your car at say €13K, well then €10K of that goes back to Skoda so you have €3K left as your trade-in value against the new Toyota.

Can I ask you one thing DriveSkill?

How is it that I can benefit from something that is not mine? As in, the €10k is not mine – it’s just in the value of the car.

Or am I being a bit naieve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭vandriver

Can I ask you one thing DriveSkill?

How is it that I can benefit from something that is not mine? As in, the €10k is not mine – it’s just in the value of the car.

You can only benefit from the difference between your cars value and the GMFV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

The problem with this VW 0% apr is that they have increased the price of their new cars to pay for it, so a cash buyer is at a disadvantaged now as they are trying to negotiate a cash discount on a car that is overpriced by 2-3k to pay for finance that most people are taking out, a comfort line diesel golf is nearly 5K more than it was 3-4 years ago, ok it has more spec and the government increased vrt by 1%, but 5K!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Depends on how you feel about selling etc. but you may do better, by a few €K by selling your own car and buying your new car on a straight deal.
    As an example, was recently discussing a trade in, GMFV was €12K. Trade in price offered was €17K but the resale car value was €19.5/20K.
    Secondly some dealers would have a straightdeal/cash discount on a sale, maybe €1K. So there is €3/4K easily made or lost.

The other offer on a new car I had was a 5 year HP deal, I was putting in some cash. About the same as the PCP but no need to refinance after 3 years. Owned after 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I find it a bit worrying that some people who are looking to go into another PCP deal still don't understand the ins and outs of it.

So, my GMFV is €10k.

Toyota will deal with that final 10k.

in other words, if your car is worth 30k, then over the last 3 years you have paid off 20k (this is where the GMFV of 10K comes from).
    But your car may have a market value of 15k. so taking the 10 you still owe away leaves 5k equity.

Toyota will take your car, pay off the 10k and leave you with that equity to go towards your new car.

Remember your finance deal is with the the bank who supplied it not the car dealership. So all Toyota will be doing is paying off that last 10k to the bank, leaving you with the equity.

I advise shopping around different toyota garages. I got a better deal from Mazda in tullamore than I could from mazda in galway, limerick or donegal. It is worth the effort to call and get some quotes as you can save a lot.

Am I correct in thinking (probably not) that the GMFV is the value for the Garage rather than the person taking the car.

And what sounded like being a positive for the driver "guaranteed"+"value" was just good PR.

GMFV is the guaranteed minimum future value.
    In other words they guarantee the car will be worth at least this amount (provided you stick to the terms). So that if you choose you can hand the car back and walk away.

When pcp first came they set a gfv that was too close to market value, but nowadays they over estimate by a good amount so you can be sure the car will be worth that amount.

You then just pay off the difference from the car price minus the GMFV and this equates your monthly payments.

Provided you stick to the terms, or don't go way over them then you will have equity in the car as the market value will always be more than the GMFV.

The difference in the GMFV and the market value is what is used for the deposit of your next car (if you choose that route).

For example my last car GMFV was 10k but market value was 17k when I traded it in. I put that 7k towards my current car.

EG @ 0% interest:

Car worth 30K
    Deposit 8K
    GMFV 10k

30K minus 8K = 22K minus 10K =12k
    12K divided by 36 months = €333

after 3 years market value 15K
    15K minus GMFV 10k = 5K equity

Options:
    Hand car back - take 5K cash
    Trade in - use 5k as deposit towards next car
    Keep car - Pay off 10k in a lump sum (or take that last 10k out as a HP and pay off the car over X years)

* NOTE your PCP finance is with a bank not with a garage, you can take your PCP car to any other dealer and trade in. the same as above applies = The GMFV will be paid out of the market value of the car, the equity will be yours to keep/use as a deposit.

** NOTE Dealers greatly over estimate GMFV now; Unless you do some serious damage to the car you will not owe any additional money if you choose to hand it back. But should you do this damage somehow, then you will still owe the difference before being able to walk away: E.G. GMFV 10K - market value due to condition of car 7K - You must pay the 3K before being able to walk away (or pay all 10K and keep the car).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭carsfan2

GMFV is the guaranteed minimum future value.
    In other words they guarantee the car will be worth at least this amount (provided you stick to the terms). So that if you choose you can hand the car back and walk away.

When pcp first came they set a gfv that was too close to market value, but nowadays they over estimate by a good amount so you can be sure the car will be worth that amount.

You then just pay off the difference from the car price minus the GMFV and this equates your monthly payments.

Provided you stick to the terms, or don't go way over them then you will have equity in the car as the market value will always be more than the GMFV.

The difference in the GMFV and the market value is what is used for the deposit of your next car (if you choose that route).

For example my last car GMFV was 10k but market value was 17k when I traded it in. I put that 7k towards my current car.

EG @ 0% interest:

Car worth 30K
    Deposit 8K
    GMFV 10k

30K minus 8K = 22K minus 10K =12k
    12K divided by 36 months = €333

after 3 years market value 15K
    15K minus GMFV 10k = 5K equity

Options:
    Hand car back - take 5K cash
    Trade in - use 5k as deposit towards next car
    Keep car - Pay off 10k in a lump sum (or take that last 10k out as a HP and pay off the car over X years)

* NOTE your PCP finance is with a bank not with a garage, you can take your PCP car to any other dealer and trade in. the same as above applies = The GMFV will be paid out of the market value of the car, the equity will be yours to keep/use as a deposit.

** NOTE Dealers greatly over estimate GMFV now; Unless you do some serious damage to the car you will not owe any additional money if you choose to hand it back. But should you do this damage somehow, then you will still owe the difference before being able to walk away: E.G. GMFV 10K - market value due to condition of car 7K - You must pay the 3K before being able to walk away (or pay all 10K and keep the car).

If you hand the car back you don’t get the equity!
    You walk away with nothing.

carsfan2 wrote: »
    If you hand the car back you don’t get the equity!
    You walk away with nothing.

No you get the equity, I know from experience. As in, I was given a cheque for the equity amount!

If you have handed a car back and the dealer you gave it to didn't give you the equity then you have been bloody stupid. They have already made their profit on the sale and you are handing them extra profit for no reason.

Note: depending on the dealer, you do get dealers market value doing this, as in if the market value is 17k. then the dealers value is around 15K. You will get 5K instead of 7k. (When I did this the dealer gave me full market value equity, but not all will do this i imagine)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

To be fair, you were very lucky to get full market value in such a situation. The dealer was under no obligation to do that and while you were free to go anywhere and try to sell it to any dealer, Im thinking would find that any random trader would offer a very poor figure if offered your cash for cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

No you get the equity, I know from experience. As in, I was given a cheque for the equity amount!

If you have handed a car back and the dealer you gave it to didn't give you the equity then you have been bloody stupid. They have already made their profit on the sale and you are handing them extra profit for no reason.

Note: depending on the dealer, you do get dealers market value doing this, as in if the market value is 17k. then the dealers value is around 15K. You will get 5K instead of 7k. (When I did this the dealer gave me full market value equity, but not all will do this i imagine)

Technically, you didn't hand the car back, the dealer bought the car back off you. You were relatively fortunate, as many dealers won't be interested in doing this. I did similar myself this time last year. Dealer bought the car back, cleared the balance of the PCP and I walked away with a cheque.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The car is worth more than 10k. The extra amount can be yours if you planned to hold on to the car.
    The toyota dealer will handkerchief everything for you. You don't have to be concerned other than what your new payment figures will be

No pcp is structured to be confusing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

The car is worth more than 10k. The extra amount can be yours if you planned to hold on to the car.
    The toyota dealer will handkerchief everything for you. You don't have to be concerned other than what your new payment figures will be

No pcp is structured to be confusing

It is not. Its a form of finance. All you need to do is read it and understand it. I am honestly shocked how much people are confused by this concept.
    I do have respect for people who actually come over here and ask if they dont understand it, instead of buying car on pcp and then asking how it works.

There were plenty of posts already, which explained how it works. At this point we will need to bring crayons out. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

TMK it was introduced here first by VW Bank. It used to tie you more to the car maker. Suited rollover buyers, esp if you had to trade it in, refinance it or hand the keys back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Water John wrote: »
    TMK it was introduced here first by VW Bank. It used to tie you more to the car maker. Suited rollover buyers, esp if you had to trade it in, refinance it or hand the keys back.

Exactly it perfectly suits those who change every 3 years anyway.

0% finance and they have very little capital wrapped up in car while the dealer and manufacturer still get as much money.

The massive upside for the manufacturer are those like myself who have bought new and never would. I'd usually buy 1 to 3 year old and keep for a couple years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭photosmart

Just bumping this thread as we're heading into 2020 and given the amount of PCP deals that were done in 161/171 it would be useful for many to see what trade in values / cost to change for the different brands are after three years

Skoda seem to be a good option for PCP given their strong resale values but I know some of the other brands fare out considerably worse.

Anyone care to share their experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Should be plenty evidence now of people having rolled I to new Pcp across all manufacturers.
    I'm going to take a guess and say bmw buyers will have faired worst in nearly all circumstances.
    Vw, Skoda possibly best in terms of being able to get a 2nd Pcp without throwing money at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭easyvision

Yes Id love to see some examples as Im thinking of going PCP next year, possibly on the new golf. I like to change every 2-3 years anyway as I easily get bored of cars and itch to change!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭micks_address

So here's my experience.
    I had a 2 litre diesel automatic Octavia 172, style spec with sportline kit, added canton speakers and dab radio. Car cost 35.5k. 0 percent interest with service plan included and monthly was 386.

Last week I ordered a VW Tiguan, 1.5 petrol dsg with tech pack. Retail 42.5k. 1500 purchase contribution from vw, free services included as part of 201 event.

Deal is based on settlement of my Skoda PCP end of Jan. Deposit 5k, payment increases to 440 per month.

VW offered me 4k more in trade in than my Skoda dealer was offering.

I'm rationalising in my own head as the Tiguan is 7k more expensive than my Octavia was. So 5k deposit plus about 1800 extra in payments over 3 years sort of makes sense.

I was looking at 5k next spring for a like for like Octavia.

Cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

So here's my experience.
    I had a 2 litre diesel automatic Octavia 172, style spec with sportline kit, added canton speakers and dab radio. Car cost 35.5k. 0 percent interest with service plan included and monthly was 386.

Last week I ordered a VW Tiguan, 1.5 petrol dsg with tech pack. Retail 42.5k. 1500 purchase contribution from vw, free services included as part of 201 event.

Deal is based on settlement of my Skoda PCP end of Jan. Deposit 5k, payment increases to 440 per month.

VW offered me 4k more in trade in than my Skoda dealer was offering.

I'm rationalising in my own head as the Tiguan is 7k more expensive than my Octavia was. So 5k deposit plus about 1800 extra in payments over 3 years sort of makes sense.

I was looking at 5k next spring for a like for like Octavia.

Cheers,
    Mick

Can I ask what was the deposit on Octavia in 2017?

Can I ask what was the deposit on Octavia in 2017?

I think it was approx 8k. I think I had 3k equity from my civic tourer and put in 5 along with it.

I think it was approx 6 or 7k. I think I had 3k equity from my civic tourer and put in 3.5k along with it.

My previous deal is somewhere back in the thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

VW seem pretty decent with their trade in values.

Seat were offering me 13k for my 161 fr Leon was 25k pre reg.
    VW offered 15.5k so I took them up on a golf 1.5tsi 150bhp, I added about 2k to keep the repayments of about 400 similar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

I'm going into my third PCP contract after Christmas. So far so good. I have gone over the mileage allowed by about 10- 15% in each case and it was never a factor at trade in time. I bought a Ateca in 2017 and was considering buying it out at the end of the current contract but when I checked what the payments would be if I got a loan with 5.9% apr over 3 years for the balanced owed, I could trade up to a new car on 0% for around the same monthly payments (350 - 370). So that's what I did. PCP is great as long as you understand it. The 0% finance is really attractive.

Yeah i think the 0 percent makes it worthwhile.. its amazing the spread of offers you can get coming close to end of a PCP for your car.

Skoda offered me 18k
    Honda offered me 19k
    One VW offered me 15k
    Final VW offered me 22.5k

Obviously the more you get for your trade in the better.

Also its pretty much nigh on impossible to change to another car while in PCP until the last 6 months. Mine isnt actually up till July so technically i've changed early. I priced at year one and year two and wasn't going to add up.

I'd also caution against adding extra's like i did to my last car. If you want to minimize depreciation then go for a spec that will hold its value best.

Its interesting watching the tv at the moment. I'm forced to sit through I'm a celebrity live as kids won't wait for it to record.

Tons of adds for Hyundai and Toyota, i havent seen any VW family adds. Maybe they figure most people have done their deals now for 201. Probably shorter lead time on a toyota than a VW/Skoda/Seat..

Cheers,
    Mick
    rustynutz wrote: »
    I'm going into my third PCP contract after Christmas. So far so good. I have gone over the mileage allowed by about 10- 15% in each case and it was never a factor at trade in time. I bought a Ateca in 2017 and was considering buying it out at the end of the current contract but when I checked what the payments would be if I got a loan with 5.9% apr over 3 years for the balanced owed, I could trade up to a new car on 0% for around the same monthly payments (350 - 370). So that's what I did. PCP is great as long as you understand it. The 0% finance is really attractive.

Anybody with a BMW gone through pcp care to share?
    From what I have seen they set their gmfv too high for there to be any equity at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Posted this in the other main PCP thread, but would like to get opinions here too, we are kinda in two minds about what to do...

Thinking of changing the wife's car in 2020, she bought a new Seat Ibiza FR in Mar '18.
    It's two years old in March and the dealer called last week asking if we were interested in trading up for 2020. The car has been faultless, my wife has a commute of 100kms a day and it's averaged over 50mpg from the little 1.0 TSi, it's only the 95hp version.

We would like a little more space as we travel up to the in laws quite a bit and have a dog so we were looking at the Leon ST as a replacement in FR trim. There is a 130bhp 1.5 TSi available starting at a bit over €28k, with a few boxes ticked like metallic, winter pack and parking sensors it's a smidgen over €29k.

The numbers we've gotten are:
    Settlement figure as of Saturday €11,862 should be under €11k come next February
    Trade in value €16k ~ €5k equity
    Deposit €1k
    Repayments going from 253 to 357 a month.
    0% finance, currently on 1.9%.

This seems manageable and a good deal to me as we are getting back the full amount we financed and going onto 0%. Also there's 53kms on the car now so will be just approaching the 60k limit come time to trade. If we wait until the end of the PCP term in 2021 there will be 80-90k on it so not sure what kind of trade in we would get then.

I know there is a new Leon coming in winter 2020 but I reckon this will be a nice step up price wise, the FR spec is good and it's a decent looking car.

Opinions on the numbers, do they look fair? Also has anyone driven the Leon with this engine, what did you think? We are yet to drive one.

Hi there,

I would recommend going for the Ateca over the Leon. I would imagine that the payments would be similar (you could check) but it will probably hold a lot more value over the three years which would give you some options at the end of the PCP contract. I would expect the leon to take a hammering on depreciation and be worth very little in three years time.

P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

With my accountants hat on from a previous life I hope everyone knows PCP is a cashflow focused product, not a cost focused product.

The amount of people telling me their new car only costs x a month on PCP is nuts

Generally they are only paying a portion of the car and don't take deposit into account.

A deposit of 5000 is about 150 a month in payments that people don't realise.

That said, I've absolutely no problem with PCP once people understand what the hell they are paying for. If it gets you a nice car and that makes you happy, great. But when people tell me the car is costing 300 a month I get the chills.

Financial illiteracy bothers me greatly, nice new cars are great though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

At this stage people surely realise there is no free lunch.

In our house we have about 45k worth of cars on the driveway. They cost approx 50k originally

We have 22k of our money in them by now. We owe vw bank the rest. Half at 0 or 1.9% the other half in balloon. (One car was secondhand but VW gave 5k at 0% to purchase)

This means we had 28k towards house purchase that otherwise we'd have in the cars or need to save to change them. Or older cars for next 5 or 6 years and still need to get a large loan at that stage...

The main winners with PCP are the manufacturers, unless you have a lot of spare cash or want to keep your car for 5 to 7 years from new, they are very likely to get you into a new car... VW have it best of all as if you buy a skoda, vw, audi, seat etc.. its all their money.. id be slow enough to get into a PCP that isn't 0%

Its usually a good indicator of market demand though - so cars on 0% are probably not in demand or likely to be in demand long term..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Its usually a good indicator of market demand though - so cars on 0% are probably not in demand or likely to be in demand long term..

That's almost every skoda and vw at some point over the last 3 years!!

The new facelifted superb is currently zero even given the gap between the incoming octavia which I'm told will be at least 3k more across the range.

• Advertisement

"Normal" cars are fast becoming far too expensive and out of the reach of ordinary people. Octavia etc which I've heard accurately described as auto white goods should not be in excess of €30,000.

Even the "bargain" car - Dacia duster recently went up from an affordable 17,000 for base diesel model to almost 20,000.

PCP deals can hide this massive appreciation if people go into the first deal with some equity but then over a few years the equity is wiped out and when

they look to start again they get a shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

photosmart wrote: »
    "Normal" cars are fast becoming far too expensive and out of the reach of ordinary people. Octavia etc which I've heard accurately described as auto white goods should not be in excess of €30,000.

Even the "bargain" car - Dacia duster recently went up from an affordable 17,000 for base diesel model to almost 20,000.

PCP deals can hide this massive appreciation if people go into the first deal with some equity but then over a few years the equity is wiped out and when

they look to start again they get a shock.

You are right, the prices are colossal. Fair enough it was a BMW dealership but I went for a look at a used 530e at lunchtime in a Dublin based dealership and had a look at the new cars while I was there, there were 2 lovely VERY well specced 520d and 320d there both in white and looked gorgeous.

The 520d was well over 70k and the 320d was 64k. Now I dont think people pay this but when these cars are doing approx 66% depreciation in 4-5 years they end up being so expensive.

Although that said, and I know it is VRT related but I had a 530i sport 2001 that had the original invoice in the glovebox and was in excess of 70k even back in 2001. Bought it it in 09 at the start of the recession for 8k if i remember correctly.

That said again, if a PCP suited me I would still go for it, but I like to buy in the 20k range nowadays on 4 to 5 year old cars that were triple that when new.

I have thought that car prices have crept up a lot in the last few years. Manufacturers blame this on extra safety equipment and having to meet more stringent emissions targets. I don’t think wages and salaries of the average person has kept pace.
    PCP masks the real cost of the car and is a handy tool for the dealers to sell to people that can manage the monthly outgoing but couldn’t necessarily come up with the full cost of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

carsfan2 wrote: »
    I have thought that car prices have crept up a lot in the last few years. Manufacturers blame this on extra safety equipment and having to meet more stringent emissions targets. I don’t think wages and salaries of the average person has kept pace.
    PCP masks the real cost of the car and is a handy tool for the dealers to sell to people that can manage the monthly outgoing but couldn’t necessarily come up with the full cost of the car.

Some of the increases are to pay for the 0% PCP deals they are doing, look at some of the new vw cars, 0% pcp and €1500 finance contribution, ie cheaper to buy on pcp than cash, crazy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭FaganJr

When does it suit a person to get PCP??
    What did we do before PCP?
    What happens if you lose your job and can't pay PCP? I don't think I've ever heard a clear explanation of the consumers rights around this?
    Is there protection insurance built in? Etc?
    Credit union loans?
    Cars are crazy money these days.
    Anytime I've bought a car from a dealer their interest drops when I say no to in house finance.
    Bought my last car in the UK saved 5k on same car here.
    Paid cash , no banks, no loans.
    I guess eyes opened after recession, if you can't pay for it , don't borrow for it.
    Unless it's a house obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,991 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

FaganJr wrote: »
    .. if you can't pay for it , don't borrow for it.
    Unless it's a house obviously.

Funnily enough, it was people borrowing for houses they couldn't afford 15 to 12 years ago that got us into a terrible mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭FaganJr

I wonder how many billion is tied up in cars?

Also houses usually bounce back in value, unless you remortgaged against it.

But all PCP cars will depreciate, like a lead balloon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Posted this in the other main PCP thread, but would like to get opinions here too, we are kinda in two minds about what to do...

Thinking of changing the wife's car in 2020, she bought a new Seat Ibiza FR in Mar '18.
    It's two years old in March and the dealer called last week asking if we were interested in trading up for 2020. The car has been faultless, my wife has a commute of 100kms a day and it's averaged over 50mpg from the little 1.0 TSi, it's only the 95hp version.

We would like a little more space as we travel up to the in laws quite a bit and have a dog so we were looking at the Leon ST as a replacement in FR trim. There is a 130bhp 1.5 TSi available starting at a bit over €28k, with a few boxes ticked like metallic, winter pack and parking sensors it's a smidgen over €29k.

The numbers we've gotten are:
    Settlement figure as of Saturday €11,862 should be under €11k come next February
    Trade in value €16k ~ €5k equity
    Deposit €1k
    Repayments going from 253 to 357 a month.
    0% finance, currently on 1.9%.

This seems manageable and a good deal to me as we are getting back the full amount we financed and going onto 0%. Also there's 53kms on the car now so will be just approaching the 60k limit come time to trade. If we wait until the end of the PCP term in 2021 there will be 80-90k on it so not sure what kind of trade in we would get then.

I know there is a new Leon coming in winter 2020 but I reckon this will be a nice step up price wise, the FR spec is good and it's a decent looking car.

Opinions on the numbers, do they look fair? Also has anyone driven the Leon with this engine, what did you think? We are yet to drive one.

€411 a month would lease one from leaseplan, and you'd have the 5k equity in your pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

McGaggs wrote: »
    €411 a month would lease one from leaseplan, and you'd have the 5k equity in your pocket.

With a 3K deposit and 15kms annually, a lower spec one from Leaseplan would be 425 a month with no equity at the end, so no...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

FaganJr wrote: »
    I wonder how many billion is tied up in cars?

Also houses usually bounce back in value, unless you remortgaged against it.

But all PCP cars will depreciate, like a lead balloon

All cars depreciate in the same manner irrespective of how its paid for.

However in light of recession talk some big players are currently shorting the market to the tune of billions in the believe a crash is imminent. Possibly not a great time to over extend on anything. Esp a car....

Advertisement