Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71,557 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

PLAY KIRSTY MACCOLL!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Hurry up, grunge!

I TOUCH MYSELF!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭dasdog

Kristy had a such great and distinctive voice :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I remember an outraged headline in News Of The World about that song (my dad would get it)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Yer man looks like a noncey George Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Johnny Marr wrote that Walking Down Madison as an instrumental demo

Kirsty heard it and threw some vocals into the mix

‘Making love until we drown’

’Doing it until we wake up’

Jesus wept.

You can never have enough Kate Pierson.

• Advertisement

That bass player in REM always reminded me of Kermit the frog but in retrospect its more like a blend of Kermit and Ken Doherty

Peter Buck neither Shiny nor Happy in that video.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

It was a good couple of weeks if you were into redheads......and Danni Minogue! 😍

Woohoo new smileys!

RTE are showing The Taking of Pelham 123 at 23:30 - the original 1974 version. Cracking soundtrack to that composed by David Shire - decent movie too.

Here’s the May 1991 episode that BBC Four just skipped.

Contains Kylie in PVC :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I always thought there should have been a song "when I think about you, I cut myself"

Dark, I know.

Life ain't always empty.

Jim Morrison's life story (according to Denis Leary) :

You're drunk, you're nobody.

You're drunk, you're famous.

You're drunk, you're dead.

Life ain't always empty.

Even the members of R.E.M., even before they broke up, couldn't stand Shiny Happy People.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Something about it reminds me of a kids tv show song vibe ... having to sing that no matter what mood you are in with a smile on your face.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Only heard this morning that Dusty Hill of ZZ Top died the other day.

😥

Life ain't always empty.

Bit of a sad one that - ZZ Top are a great band. Tres Hombres is the best album of the lot. Nobody mentions "Master of Sparks" although the album has so many great songs.

I thankfully got to see them twice in the past decade after waiting a very long time. Great shows, loved it. And I taped Guy Garvey from the vaults that was posted here on July 9th just for their Tube performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I used to send Skid's updates to a late friend of mine. He was big into his guitar music and ZZ Top were up near "top" of his list. He won a few million in the lotto a few years back and went to a good few countries to see any amount of bands live. Something he'd never have been able to do as a building site worker.

Anyway, One such time he decided to go and see ZZ Top in Hamburg less than a mile from where a mutual friend of ours lived. Free accom. He had to fly from Cork to Hamburg and while waiting in the VIP lounge, who comes in off a connecting flight , only Billy an Dusty. They had a few jars and when called for the flight G held out his hand and the two lads replied with outstretched fists saying, in harmony, "Wireless fistbumps only. Insurance reasons"

If there's a VIP lounge "up there" I hope they're shaking hands now.

"Wireless fistbumps only. Insurance reasons"

That's very understandable in fairness. Meant to be very down to earth. They had the same lineup since 1969 and were in circles with Janis Joplin and 13th Floor Elevators in Texas - psychedelia in a very non psychedelic State. They cut their teeth and played blues and funky rock blues in the 70's, toured like hell, took a break, met up with Depeche Mode of all bands in the early 80's and the end result was Eliminator and MTV. They've been touring ever since and like the Rolling Stones didn't really need to release anything new or groundbreaking they have such a good back catalog.

"Wireless fistbumps only. Insurance reasons"

That's very understandable in fairness.

Oh yeah. Couldyou imagine some gobshi1te cracking your knuckles with a manly handshake a few hours before a gig?

I'm off to watch the "Cousin Dusty" episode of King of the Hill.

Great story, sligojoek.Thanks.

The Boxer injuring fracturing his ankle celebrating his win at the Olympics should have taken inspiration from that and stuck with a "virtual jump"

I came across this a few years ago and stumbled on it again tonight.

Flimsy handshake at the end. Neither of them were going to hurt the other's fingers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3egBlDjMWtc

• Advertisement

Hello, this weeks sees things like the Fleadh, Clannad, Elvis and Johnny Cash on your Television

And the Proms. Lots of Proms ...

Thursday

8pm BBC Proms 2021 - Brahms (BBC4)

12.15am Guy Garvey From The Vaults - 1987 (Sky Arts)

featuring the Smiths, the Mission, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Depeche Mode and the Cure

1.15am Reclaiming Amy (BBC2)

Amy Winehouse thing made by her Parents

1.15am Steven Tyler Live At Melrose Ballroom (Sky Arts)

Friday

7pm The British Invasion - Mary Isobel Catherine Bernadette O'Brien (Sky Arts)

The actual title is 'The British Invasion - Dusty Springfield' but I have used her real name

7pm BBC Proms 2021 - Brahms (BBC4)

8pm Classic Albums: Steely Dan - Aja (Sky Arts)

This is also on Youtube

9pm Being Freddie Mercury - Under Pressure (Channel 5) 🆕

Psychiatrist Dr Bob Johnson and those who knew the Queen frontman best attempt to uncover the disparity between what people think they know about Freddie and who he really was. The show builds a psychological picture of the man who started life as Farrokh Bulsara, but ended it as Freddie Mercury

9pm Alanis Morrissette Live In Concert (Sky Arts)

9pm & 1.55am Top Of The Pops 1991 - July 13 (BBC4)

Jackie Brambles presents the edition first aired on June 13 1991, featuring performances by Sonia, All About Eve, Gloria Estefan, Divinyls, Lenny Kravitz, Massive Attack, Color Me Badd, Amy Grant, the Doors and Skid Row

9.30pm & 2.25am Top Of The Pops 1991 - July 20 (BBC4)

Nicky Campbell presents the edition first aired on June 20 1991, featuring performances by Rebel MC featuring Barrington Levy and Tenor Fly, Latour, Kenny Thomas, Salt-N-Pepa, Extreme, Driza Bone, Jason Donovan, Bette Midler, Color Me Badd and Rod Stewart

9.30pm-Midnight Fleadhfest 2021 (TG4)

Highlights include Máirtín O'Connor, Cathal Hayden and Seamie O'Dowd, West Ocean String Quartet with Iarla Ó Lionáird and Una Monaghan, Sliabh Notes and Joanie Madden

10pm & 2.55am Jazz Legends In Their Own Words (BBC4)

A journey into the BBC archives, unearthing performances and candid interviews from the golden age of jazz. Featuring some of the greatest names in American music, from Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington and Count Basie to Oscar Peterson, Dizzy Gillespie and Ella Fitzgerald

10.15pm The Pretenders - Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

10.30pm 1991 - 30 Greatest Hits (Channel 5)

11pm Louis Armstrong In Concert (BBC4)

https://www.quora.com/Is-Neil-Armstrong-the-grandfather-of-Louis-Armstrong

11.30pm The Rolling Stones Rock And Roll Circus (Sky Arts)

The one which was on last week

11.55pm Jazz Horns Gold (BBC4)

A selection of archive performances by jazz artists from shows including Jazz 625, The Late Show, Later - with Jools Holland and Crackerjack. Featuring Dizzy Gillespie, Coleman Hawkins, Stan Getz, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Wynton Marsalis, Acker Bilk, John Dankworth, Courtney Pine, John Surman and Andy Hamilton

12.55am Singer Songwriters At The BBC (BBC4)

Archive performances from the 1960s and '70s, featuring Billy Joel, Joan Armatrading, Tom Paxton, John Denver, Bruce Johnston, Gordon Lightfoot, Chris de Burgh and Stealers Wheel. The programme also includes an unusual appearance by Ronnie Lane and Slim Chance on The Basil Brush Show in 1973

1am Rolling Stones At Hyde Park 2013 (Sky Arts)

2.15am Jimmy Carter - Rock And Roll President (Sky Arts)

Saturday

3.30pm The Doobie Brothers - Let The Music Play (Sky Arts)

5.30pm The Doobie Brothers Live From The Beacon Theatre (Sky Arts)

6.30pm BBC Proms 2021 - The Golden Age Of Broadway (BBC2)

8pm Classic Albums: Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt (Sky Arts)

8.20pm Opry An Iuir (TG4)

9.30pm Fleadhfest 2021 (TG4)

From Ulster

9.30pm The Proclaimers - This Is The Story (BBC Scotland)

Followed by The Proclaimers live at Stirling Castle

9.30pm The Queens Of Pop - Viva La Diva (BBC2)

Ana Matronic explores the key elements that have shaped the identities and sounds of Beyoncé, Cher, Grace Jones, Madonna and Mariah Carey, investigating the lives and legacies of these five pop superstars

9.35pm The Heart Of Saturday Night (RTE1)

Una Healy and Loah introduce performances by Damien Dempsey, John and Ceoladh Sheahan and Saint Sister, as well a tribute to Ronnie Drew by Phelim Drew, John Sheahan and the Mary Wallopers. Phelim Drew revealed on Liveline recently that he auditioned for the singing canary carbon monoxide ad. The brief was that they were looking for someone who could sing in a "Ronnie Drew Style". He didn't get the part

10pm One Hit Wonders At The BBC (Yesterday)

Followed by two TOTP compilations

10.30pm Queens Of Song At The BBC (BBC2)

A selection of songs by some of the finest female artists, featuring performances by Whitney Houston, Beyonce, Mariah Carey, Grace Jones, Cher, Aretha Franklin, Tina Turner, Diana Ross and Adele

10.30pm BB King Live At The Royal Albert Hall 2011 (Sky Arts)

10.35pm Retrospective - Clannad and the RTE Concert Orchestra (RTE1)🆕

The band perform new arrangements of songs including Harry's Game, In a Lifetime and I Will Find You with the orchestra and conductor David Brophy, and also chat to John Kelly about their remarkable career and the stories behind their classics

11.30pm Grace Jones: Bloodlight And Bami (BBC2)

Documentary profile of the singer, following her in the recording studio, backstage and at home with her extended family in Jamaica, interspersed with concert footage of hits including Pull Up to the Bumper and Slave to the Rhythm. Features her Dublin gig at the Olympia

12.15am Chuck Berry - The King Of Rock And Roll (Sky Arts)

1.45am One Man's Madness (Sky Arts)

It's Lee Thompson, their saxophonist

Sunday

4.55pm Elvis On Tour (TG4)

1972 film - Rock 'n' roll's biggest superstar performing at concerts throughout the USA. Featuring James Burton's guitar-playing skills and an early Presley performance on the Ed Sullivan show. Directed by Pierre Adidge and Robert Abel

6.30pm The Man Comes Around - Johnny Cash In Ireland (RTE1)

The story of singer Johnny Cash's tour in 1963 and his relationship with Ireland, featuring archive footage and first-hand accounts of a troubled time in the country star's life, and hearing from Irish people who saw him up close

6.50pm Jack Bruce Tribute Concert (Sky Arts)

A performance from London's Roundhouse in October 2015, celebrating the former Cream bassist's life and career, and featuring the likes of Ginger Baker and Vernon Reid

7pm BBC Proms 2021 - National Youth Orchestra (BBC4)

7.30pm Ireland In Music (RTE1)

Performances from venues around the country. Denise Chaila and Sharon Shannon perform along the Cliffs of Moher, Clannad are in Poison Glen, Gweedore, Lisa Hannigan is at the bandstand at Saint Stephen's Green, and rock band the Stunning play outside Trim Castle. I think this is a repeat.

9pm Miss Saigon 25th Anniversary Performance (Sky Arts)

9.30pm Fleadhfest 2021- Connancht (TG4)

Midnight Isle Of Wight Festival (Sky Arts)

Faithless and Fatboy Slim

1am Alanis Morrissette Live In Concert (Sky Arts)

.... and that's about that, do let us know if you have seen anything else

That Freddie Mercury Doc on Channel 5 must be the 927th programme about Queen or Freddie

Apparently the lockdown hasn't hit them too badly https://www.nme.com/news/music/queen-are-making-100000-a-day-from-bohemian-rhapsody-biopic-2983964

Interesting article here about Cork Band 'Stump' who blazed a trail at Berlin's Hansa Studios well before U2 got there https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/artsandculture/arid-40352558.html

And Paul McDermott has an hour long audio doc about them here https://www.paulmcdermott.ie/lights-camel-action (with lots of other material of note)

Finally, the Best Cover Of Frankie Valli's I Love You Baby Sang By The Lads Before They Head Off To Vietnam Of The Week might be this one as featured in The Deer Hunter (BBC2 Friday 11.05pm). John Cazale's final film, every movie he appeared in was nominated for Best Film at the Oscars

Advertisement