Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Hello, this week it's mainly Amy as it is the 10th anniversary of Amy Winehouse's death. Also a new Summer filler music show on RTE1 on Saturday nights and much of the usual repeatorama. Things I learnt while writing this - the emoji for 'new' is very underwhelming

Thursday

10.45pm Hitsville - The Making Of Motown (Sky Documentaries)

Rare performances, interviews and rarely seen footage come together to paint a picture of the history and origins of Motown

Midnight Guy Garvey From The Vaults (Sky Arts)

1985 - featuring Chaka Khan, Tom Waits, The Cult and Propaganda

12.05am Film: Amy (2015) (More4)

Documentary portrait of soul, jazz and R'n'B singer-songwriter Amy Winehouse, whose untimely death in July 2011 followed a well-publicised history of drugs and alcohol abuse. Director Asif Kapadia traces Amy's rise and demise over the 13 years preceding her death

Friday

Amy Winehouse Night on BBC2/4

9pm Reclaiming Amy (BBC2) 🆕

To mark the 10th anniversary of the death of the singer, Amy Winehouse's closest family and friends reveal the truth about her and the impact that her loss has had on them. Janis Winehouse-Collins aims to reclaim the legacy of her daughter by celebrating her as a complex and strong woman, giving a different version of events from the story of the singer so often told. With access to never-before-seen family archives and rare musical performances. The New Empji looks pitiful but I don't know how to do colour on this thing

10pm Amy Winehouse Live At Portchester Hall (BBC2)

A chance to see a 2007 showcase of tracks from the singer's Mercury-nominated albums Back to Black and Frank in the intimate surroundings of the Porchester Hall in London's Bayswater. With a full band and backing vocalists, the then 23-year-old performer swings through her greatest hits, including Rehab and You Know I'm No Good

10.30pm Arena: Amy Winehouse - The Day She Came To Dingle (BBC4)

he story of the singer-songwriter's acoustic performance on Irish TV show Other Voices, filmed at St James's Church in the remote south-western town of Dingle in 2006. Featuring interviews with some of the people she met on that day, including taxi driver Paddy Kennedy, her bass player Dale Davis and the Rev Mairt Hanley of the Other Voices church

11.30pm Classic Albums: Amy Winehouse - Back To Black (BBC4)

The making of Back to Black, the second and final studio album by singer-songwriter Amy Winehouse, which was released in October 2006 to wide critical and commercial acclaim

12.30am Amy Winehouse In Her Own Words (BBC4)

A portrait of the late artist threaded together from interviews she gave to the BBC for a variety of documentary projects, blended with performances from across her career

Friday - Not Amy Winehouse

7pm & 2.55am Gregory Porter's Popular Voices (BBC4)

Crooning

7pm The British Invasion - Gerry And The Pacemakers (Sky Arts)

8pm Guy Garvey From The Vaults (Sky Arts)

1978 - The Jam, Boomtown Rats, Ian Dury and Kate Bush

8pm & 1.55am Top Of The Pops 1991 - May 9 (BBC4)

Gary Davies presents the edition first aired on May 9 1991, featuring performances by Electronic, Seal, Roxette, Beverley Craven, Michael Bolton, Cher and Blur

8.30pm & 2.25am Top Of The Pops 1991 - May 16 (BBC4)

Bruno Brookes presents the edition first aired on May 16 1991, featuring performances by New Kids on the Block, Cathy Dennis, Dannii Minogue, Crystal Waters, Amy Grant, Jason Donovan, Soft Cell, Cher and Color Me Badd

9pm Burt Bacharach - A Life In Song (BBC4)

Seems odd to have this on at the same time as a new Amy Winehouse Doc is on BBC2

Featuring Alfie Boe, Sophie Ellis-Bextor, Shaun Escoffery, Rebecca Ferguson, Justin Hayward, Michael Kiwanuka, Laura Mvula and Joss Stone

9pm Rag N Bone Man Live At Baloise Session (Sky Arts)

10.30pm Florence And The Machine / Andrea Day - Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

11.35pm Carole King - Welcome To My Living Room (Sky Arts)

12.55am Classic Soul At The BBC (BBC4)

Performances from the BBC archive by acclaimed soul singers, including Aretha Franklin, Al Green, Isaac Hayes, Dusty Springfield, Solomon Burke and Percy Sledge

1.50am Paul Simon Live At Central Park 1991 (Sky Arts)

Saturday

3.30pm David Bowie Glass Spider Tour (Sky Arts)

5.40pm Elvis 68 Comeback Special (Sky Arts)

6.40pm Mr Dynamite - The Rise Of James Brown (Sky Documentaries)

7pm Guy Garvey From The Vaults (Sky Arts)

8.15pm Hup (TG4)

From Achill, with  flautist Emer Mayock and piper Mick O'Brien, John Hoban singing a son inspired by the island, local whistle player Des Cafferky playing his own tunes, sean-nós dancing with Siobhán McGinnty and Seán Seoighe, and Diarmuid Gielty leading a performance by local musicians

9pm Chuck Berry - Brown Eyed Handsome Man (Sky Arts)

A collection of performances of songs by the rock 'n' roll pioneer, featuring covers by the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen and Jimi Hendrix

9.30pm Pavarotti In Hyde Park 1991 (BBC2)

9.35pm The Heart Of Saturday Night (RTE1)🆕

Ep 1 of 6 Una Healy and Loah introduce musical performances by some of the country's finest performers, inlcuding Gavin James, Kodaline, Lyra, Joseph O'Connor, Gavin James and Loah. Plus, Thin Lizzy frontman Phil Lynott is remembered

10.05pm - 12.05am Guitar Heroes At The BBC (Yesterday)

10.30pm TRNSMT (BBC Scotland)

Edith Bowman presents another selection of TRNSMT 2018 highlights, including from Interpol, Liam Gallagher, Stereophonics, Jessie Ware, Chvrches and James Bay recorded live on Glasgow Green

11.30pm Neil Se#'?ka - The Show Goes On (BBC4)

Please make it stop

12.05am Fleetwood Mac - Don't Stop (Yesterday)

Decent Fleetwood Mac Doc

Sunday

5.15pm Close To You - The Story Of The Carpenters (Sky Arts)

6.35pm Beach Boys - Good Vibrations Tour (Sky Arts)

7.40pm California Dreamin - The Songs Of The Mamas And The Papas (Sky Arts)

9pm Les Miserables 25th Anniversary Concert (Sky Arts)

9.30pm FleadhFest 2021 (TG4)

10.30pm Lomax In Eirinn (TG4)

Alan Lomax had a dream to record and preserve the music of the world. In 1951, he began that mission in Ireland. This programme uncovers the story behind that trip and shows how it resulted in the first LP of Irish music - the album that brought Irish music to the world. Plus, exclusive performances from contemporary artists Steve Earle, Clannad, Slow Moving Clouds, The Tulla Ceilí Band and Nell Ní Chróiní. Presented by Pól Brennan of Clannad fame

This is well worth a look if you haven't seen it

https://www.rte.ie/culture/2018/0905/991745-lomax-in-eirinn-the-ethnomusicologist-who-saved-irish-music/

11.45pm The Heart Of Saturday Night (RTE1)

11.50pm Isle Of Wight Festival (Sky Arts)

George Ezra and Liam Gallagher

Whipping Boy have been busy on social media posting content to support the re-release of their seminal Album Heartworm

Here's the official video which wasn't available for ages, lovely stuff. More on the twitter link below

https://twitter.com/WhippingBoyBand

Also, here's The Dubliners on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1968

That Youtube account has some great archive of seemingly every performance ever on his show.

CBS Television looked after their archive, fair play to them

And the beat goes on, finally the Best Echo And The Bunnymen Cover featured in an Eighties Vampire Movie Of The Week featuring both Corey Haim and Corey Feldman might be this one from The Lost Boys (BBC1 Friday 10.35pm)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Conqueror

Probably for the best that Cathy Dennis and Gary Davies weren't on the same edition of TOTP. That much sexiness would have melted TV sets in 1991.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,725 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

HEATWAVETOPPERPOPSCHE!!

This Electronic remix.

“Happening Tunes.”

• Advertisement

Key Change Klaxon!

“BELTING album from Simple Minds!”

:D

BOLTON!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭dasdog

This episode has been dreadful - and it's just managed to get worse

• Advertisement

This guy in T99 looks like he's been shrunk - at least there's a bit of crappy homemade techno now

Bob Hoskins Klaxon!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Blur not up to much you would have taught but another classic from roxette saves the day

Rave Trifle!

Nice look, Bruno.

OK, I’ll call it…garbage.

I was gonna say pure gash

• Advertisement

PLAY COLOR ME BADD!

Don’t judge me.

Shiny Happy People.

*shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Don't worry, we'll be seeing it plenty over the next umpteen episodes.

CRYSTAL WATERS!!!

ABSOLUTE CLASSIC!!!

Baby Baby.

KLF denied the No.1 spot!

It’s a disgrace, Joe!

Aaaah yeah.

*dims lights*

They got air play on one of the major radio stations here on Wednesday and Thursday night on foot of last weeks TOPPITY2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

I have tried and tried and tried over the years to like Amy Winehouse, but I just don't get it (especially over the last week with so much on radio and tonight on TV, I figured I'd give her another chance). What am I missing????

I enjoyed the Burt Bacharach hour... Always love Sophie Ellis Bexter's unique voice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Lots of these songs on TOTP remind of Atlantic 252 on the long wave, as there was feck all outside the big cities on FM in Ireland in those days

The station broadcasting from Summerhill in Meath pretending to be English

Sure it was something different

https://radiotoday.ie/2014/09/remembering-atlantic-252-25-years-on/

Good times

Advertisement