Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,224 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Lou Bega!

*shudders*

*then remembers the accompanying music video*

Good old Lou :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,595 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Shìt Paddy's Day Parade

You're just a shìt Paddy's Day Parade

Shìt Paddy's Day Paraaaaade

You're just a shìt Paddy's Day Parade

Have some o' that Carnival.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭dasdog

I thought I recognised the Huey name - sigh...

I highly recommend Huey’s BBC 6Music’s Saturday morning show.

Old school hippity-hoppity, 70’s funk and soul...and some Latin, of course :)

Although this day will live long in the memory. It was wonderful.

jVzF1RL.jpg

• Advertisement

Every gig I've had a ticket for since March this year has been cancelled. I got a ticket for Gilberto Gil out of interest not really knowing very much about his music or politics but knowing that he is important and it might be a once off.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Some of those Brazilian vinyl album sleeves on the show look class

Just googled it and got this site, which looks good

https://thevinylfactory.com/features/brazil-psychedelic-music-record-sleeves/

This is what really perked my ears - so much early 70's funk.

My favourite Brazilian music is that bit from the ITV ads at the 2014(!) World Cup.

Remember that? It went Brasil...Brasiiiil...

Loved that. Other than that, I liked the RTE coverage best.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    My favourite Brazilian music is that bit from the ITV ads at the 2014(!) World Cup.

Remember that? It went Brasil...Brasiiiil...

Loved that. Other than that, I liked the RTE coverage best.

I was literally thinking of that earlier, and I found this where ITV got the fella on to sing the full version of it during their highlights show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

I highly recommend Huey’s BBC 6Music’s Saturday morning show.

Old school hippity-hoppity, 70’s funk and soul...and some Latin, of course :)

Couldn’t agree more. Love listening to it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,776 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

dasdog wrote: »
    I thought I recognised the Huey name - sigh...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

OK gonna drop this one in here. Could have been one of the greatest 80s supergoups :D ....Midge Ure and Brian May on guitars, Phil Colins Drums, Howard Jones keyboards, John Deacon on bass and a host of singers including Rick Astley. :p

Yeah, it's a bit of a let down. :o

including Rick Astley. :p

But he said he was never gonna do that!?

OK gonna drop this one in here. Could have been one of the greatest 80s supergoups :D ....Midge Ure and Brian May on guitars, Phil Colins Drums, Howard Jones keyboards, John Deacon on bass and a host of singers including Rick Astley. :p

Very nice, Prince Charles used to get some decent lineups at his charity gigs

Rick Astley seems to have the power to walk onto any stage he wants

“It just all went nuts. Dave Grohl came over and said hello, gave me a hug, said hello, and then a half hour later he’s inviting me onto the stage,” he explains. “I never met them, I have no why idea why he’d invite me onstage. I didn’t know what it was all about. And then he just kind of whispered and said, ‘We’re doing your tune, but we’re gonna do it like Teen Spirit,’ and that was it. And off we went.”

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/04/rick-astley-shares-the-story-behind-his-onstage-rickroll-with-foo-fighters/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,699 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Skid X wrote: »
    Very nice, Prince Charles used to get some decent lineups at his charity gigs

Rick Astley seems to have the power to walk onto any stage he wants

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/04/rick-astley-shares-the-story-behind-his-onstage-rickroll-with-foo-fighters/

He done a good cover of Everlong a few weeks ago, he Rick Grohled the internet

Highlights of Festival No.6 on Sky Arts right now :)

Hope it returns to Portmeirion :(

Off-topic I know, but it’s mop-topic :cool:

Classy tweet from Besty for the day that’s in it...

https://twitter.com/BeatlesPeteBest/status/1280441216405065728

Off-topic I know, but it’s mop-topic :cool:

Classy tweet from Besty for the day that’s in it...

https://twitter.com/BeatlesPeteBest/status/1280441216405065728

Haha, i just popped in to post that.

Dear whoever's near Pete Best right now*,

Please give him a hug from me.

Kind Regards,

Donie

*assuming you are 100% covid free.

Hi there, lets have a look at what's on the schedules this weekend ... well not a whole lot in all honesty. Neil Young on Sunday on TG4 and BBC2 has Domhnall Gleeson miscast as Bob Geldof on Sunday. Huey Morgan goes to Cuba on BBC4 and Sky Arts goes back to Bowie ...

Thursday
    4pm Classic Albums: Def Leppard – Hysteria (Sky Arts)

9pm Glor Tire (TG4)
    With Mick Flavin and Sean C Creaney

9.30pm Doolin Folk Festival (TG4)
    Ep 2 Performances by the likes of Steph Geremia, Ultan Conlon, Iarla Ó Lionáird & Steve Cooney, Zoë Conway, Lúnasa and Paul Brady

11.30pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    Highlights of the series in which leading musicians perform during the Covid-19 crisis, featuring Lisa Hannigan, Colm Mac Con Iomaire, Denise Chaila, Iarla Ó Lionáird, Steve Cooney and Glen Hansard

Midnight Pink Floyd Live At Pompeii 1972 (Sky Arts)

1.15am Isle Of Wight – Amy Winehouse 2007 (Sky Arts)

1.45am Billie Eilish – Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

Friday
    4pm Classic Albums: Elton John – Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (Sky Arts)

7pm David Bowie Serious Moonlight Live (Sky Arts)
    1983 Vancouver gig

8.30pm Top Of The Pops 1989 – November 30 (BBC4)
    With Gary Davies featuring performances by 808 State, Tina Turner, Kaoma, Tears for Fears, Kate Bush, New Kids on the Block and Gloria Estefan

9pm Top Of The Pop 1989 – December 7 (BBC4)
    Mark Goodier presents, featuring performances by Jason Donovan, Big Fun, Sydney Youngblood, Kate Bush, Soul II Soul, Dusty Springfield, Jeff Wayne, Latino Rave, Simple Minds and Queen

9pm Pink Floyd – A Delicate Sound Of Thunder (Sky Arts)
    From New York in 1988

9.30pm & 1.55am Huey Morgan’s Latin Music Adventure (BBC4)
    Ep 2 – Cuba. After the Communist revolution of 1959, Cuba effectively closed its doors to the sights and sounds of the rest of the world. From this point, its music evolved in isolation from the other Latin speaking countries, with traditional forms placed at the heart of their sound. The rhythms and melodies of Cuba's people have captured the hearts of fans all around the world, and now that the government is gradually relaxing restrictions. Huey sets off from the capital Havana to explore the rich musical legacy of the island, as well as getting a taste of things to come

9.35pm The Best Of The Late Late Show (RTE1)
    Only mentioned here as it is a music compilation, featuring songs and stories from Christy Moore, Westlife, Lewis Capaldi, Sinéad O'Connor, the Pogues and others

10pm I Love … 1980 (BBC2)
    Larry Hagman looks back at things that happened in 1980, listed here as it has a bit about the emergence of Human League and OMD. Also stuff about Dallas and Pac-Man

10.30pm & 2.55am Latin Music - A Session With Dayme Arocena (BBC4)

11pm Classic Albums: Amy Winehouse - Back To Black (BBC4)

11pm Bad Company Live At Red Rocks 2016 (Sky Arts)
    Red Rocks, that might be the same place that Leslie Nielsen did the Cider Adverts for

11.30pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    As Thursday

Midnight Better Than The Original – The Joy Of The Cover Version (BBC4)
    The role of the cover in the pop industry, investigating what it takes to reinvent someone else's hit and following the stories behind 10 cover songs, tracking how artists as varied as the Moody Blues, Soft Cell, Puff Daddy and Alexandra Burke have topped the charts with their retake on someone else's song. Contributors include John Cale, Gloria Jones, Marc Almond, Rick Rubin, Faith Evans and Nerina Pallot

12.35am Judas Priest Live At Wacken (Sky Arts)

1am Country Music By Ken Burns (BBC4)
    Ep 9 of 9 Don't Get Above Your Raisin' (1984-1996) The history of the American art form from the mid-1980s to mid-1990s, an era that saw the success of 'New Traditionalists' such as Reba McEntire, George Strait and Dwight Yoakam. Garth Brooks exploded onto the scene to recalibrate the yardstick of success, while after being dropped from his label, an aging Johnny Cash, at the invitation of a hip-hop producer, returned to the studio with just his guitar and his unforgettable voice to record a series of albums that sold millions of copies and earned him the respect of the industry he helped to create. Contributors include Ricky Skaggs, Vince Gill, Willie Nelson, Rosanne Cash, Merle Haggard and Garth Brooks

1.50am Eric Clapton Live In California 2001 (Sky Arts)

Saturday
    3pm Chris Rea Live At Baloise Session (Sky Arts)

4.45pm Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert (Sky Arts)
    The 1992 Wembley Concert

6.30pm Paul Simon Live At Hyde Park 2012 (Sky Arts)

7pm-9pm Sounds Of The Sixties (Yesterday)
    In four parts, including Tom Jones, the Kinks, Manfred Mann, the Rolling Stones, John Lee Hooker and the Pretty Things. Pete Seeger, Tim Buckley, Joan Baez, Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen. the Foundations, Procol Harum, the Bee Gees, the Rolling Stones, and Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich. Herman's Hermits, the Crazy World of Arthur Brown, the Alan Price Set, Manfred Mann and the Rolling Stones

7.45pm Rolling Stones Live At Hyde Park 2013 (Sky Arts)

9pm Opry An Iuir (TG4)
    With Rita Coolidge

9pm Kings Of Leon Live At The O2 (London) 2009 (Sky Arts)

9pm-Midnight TRNSMT (BBC Scotland)
    Highlights from recent editions of the TRNSMT Festival
    9pm 2017 - Radiohead, Kasabian, Biffy Clyro, The 1975, Twin Atlantic and Catfish and the Bottlemen
    10pm 2018 - Arctic Monkeys, Jessie J, Stereophonics and Gerry Cinnamon
    11pm 2019 - George Ezra, Sam Fender, Fontaines DC, Emile Sande and Lewis Capaldi

9.15pm When Harvey Met Bob (BBC2)
    Drama about the men who organised the Live Aid concerts in 1985, Boomtown Rats singer Bob Geldof andconcert promoter Harvey Goldsmith. The film charts how their ambitious scheme turned into the biggest televised charity event in history, as well as documenting the many conflicts that sprang up between the unlikely partnership along the way. Starring Domhnall Gleeson and Ian Hart. Dealz had dozens of DVDs of this on sale for months for €1.50
    Here is a trailer dubbed into Spanish

10.45pm I Love … 1985 (BBC2)
    Grace Jones looks back at Live Aid, Bruce Springsteen, Prince … and Viz and Spitting Image

11pm New Order Live Glasgow 2006 (Sky Arts)

11.15pm TOTP Big Hits 1985 (BBC2)
    Performers include Wham!, the Smiths, Kate Bush, A-ha, Eurythmics, the Cure, Dead or Alive, Bonnie Tyler, Tears for Fears, Sister Sledge, Jennifer Rush and Doug E Fresh

12.10am Doolin Folk Festival (TG4)

12.15am TOTP – The Story of 1985 (BBC2)
    With stories from Billy Bragg, A-Ha, The Style Council, Paul Hardcastle and others

1.15am Depeche Mode Live In Berlin 2013 (Sky Arts)

1.25am Top Of The Pops 1989 – November 30 (BBC4)
    2am Top Of The Pops 1989 – December 7 (BBC4)

3.30am Festival No.6 (Sky Arts)

Sunday
    3pm John Legend Live At Baloise Session (Sky Arts)

5pm BB King Live At Royal Albert Hall (Sky Arts)
    A 2011 performance by the blues musician, with guest appearances by Mick Hucknall, Slash, Ronnie Wood, Susan Tedeschi and Derek Trucks

6.30pm Brendan Bowyer - An Sceal (TG4)
    The musician talks frankly about his life - including his family, alcohol, how the death of band member Tom Dunphy had a devastating effect on him. He also chats about the break up of the Royal Showband, explains why he divides his time between Las Vegas and Ireland, and performs some of his best known songs

6.45pm Queen Live In Milton Keynes 1982 (Sky Arts)

7.45pm Oasis Live By The Sea (Sky Arts)
    Southend 1995

9pm Florence And The Machine & Andra Day - Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

9pm Film: The Festival (2018) (Channel 4)
    Film about a Festival with one of the Inbetweeners written by the people who wrote the Inbetweeners

9.30pm Sam Henry Songs Of The People (TG4)
    The conclusion of the two-part celebration of Coleraine musicologist Sam Henry features a concert of songs from his collection, including performances from Damien O'Kane, Pauline Scanlon, Andy Irvine and Cup O' Joe

10.15pm Pulp Live At Brixton Academy (Sky Arts)

10.35pm Geantrai (TG4)
    From Mooneys Pub in Ring, featuring group Danú Bobby Gardiner and his two daughters Linda and Kelly, and singer Áine Uí Cheallaigh

11.05pm Neil Young – Heart Of Gold (2006) (TG4)
    Jonathan Demme's concert film capturing the Canadian guitarist and songwriter in reflective mood as he presents his country-flavoured Prairie Wind album after recovering from a life-threatening brain aneurysm. Songs from Young's biggest-selling album Harvest also feature, including The Needle and The Damage Done

11pm Autopsy – Maurice Gibb (VM1)

11.15pm Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds Live In Copenhagen 2017 (Sky Arts)

So that's more or less that, all mentions of corrections and omissions are always welcome and all that.

Sad news about Ennio Morricone this week, it appears he should have got a cut of the New Order Blue Monday royalties ...

https://twitter.com/OllieShip/status/1280060550173646851

That Festival No6 from Portmeirion gets another outing on Sky Arts, it was also home to The Prisoner homage drama shown on The Tube on Channel 4 starring Jools Holland after he quit the show (You didn't get TOTP doing the same when Kid Jensen left, alas)

Finally that excellent Ken Burns Country Music Doc repeat run comes to an end this week - one of the features in the final episode is Johnny Cash's renaissance after his collaboration with Trent Reznor.

That change of direction came a few years after this one which was widely believed to have been released by Johnny in an attempt to get out of his record deal

The Man in Black tells the tale of when he had a brain transplant with a bank robber, and he ended up with an urge to hold up banks while his own brain was then implanted into a chicken, and JC lost his ability to sing while the chicken was playing sold out tours. So that's the Johnny Cash Chicken In Black song that didn't make the Ken Burns History Of Country Music Series this week

https://www.wideopencountry.com/chicken-in-black-johnny-cash/

• Advertisement

Schedule change on BBC4

tonight at 11pm Live Aid Doc (Replacing Classic Albums - Amy Winehouse)
    Part one of a two-part documentary recounting the story behind the fund-raising concert. The first half deals with the lead-up to the event, when it seemed everything might end in disaster. With the performance date mere weeks away, Bob Geldof and his colleagues found themselves with no acts, no venue and no broadcaster. Geldof, Midge Ure and promoter Harvey Goldsmith discuss how they persuaded the stars to come on board, while Elton John, David Bowie, Paul McCartney, and members of U2 and Queen reminisce about the big day itself

Probably shown as a taster for When Harvey met Bob tomorrow
    I don't think part two of this is scheduled at the moment, according to my listings

Skid X wrote: »
    Schedule change on BBC4

I would have thought the passing of Ennio Morricone would have been the underlying reason. A rare talent.

Actually enjoying the opera performances on BBC4 now after a hectic week - it's most calming.

TUPPAPUPPA!

tenor.gif

*attempts Lambada for the first time in 30 years*

*accidentally demolishes all nearby furniture*

:(

0eb9db6268ed9740a2e54e68f6f426da.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,776 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Are Inner City from Dolphin's Barn? ;)

808 STATE!

tenor.gif?itemid=5274420

808 State wiping the floor with pretty much everything else that charted that week. They played the Button Factory last year which I missed and the show started at 9pm and finished around 3:00am apparently.

dasdog wrote: »
    808 State wiping the floor with pretty much everything else that charted that week. They played the Button Factory last year which I missed and the show started at 9pm and finished around 3:00am apparently.

Surely the gig should have started at 8.08pm? :cool: :o

• Advertisement

Evening, Jimmy :)

MV5BYzI5NjU5YTUtOWZhYi00YWYxLThiY2YtN2RiYWI2NDg4Yzg0L2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTk2MzI2Ng@@._V1_.jpg

Advertisement