Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honest advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Anna2834 wrote: »
    Cant disclose amount because I don't think I heard the truth and its almost 3 years....correction was 3 years.

HOOO SHIET you dumped him? Savagery!!
    and by large amount I mean in excess of €50k as I think anything under that isn't exactly life changing.

Man fuck you I found a fiver on the ground the other day and I nearly cried.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

YES Immediately, absolutely no doubt about it. 100% I would.

Guys thank's a mill for all the help and advice I really appreciate it. I sort of understand now why some people would hide it, I just guess I couldn't/wouldn't do it. Guess money is the root of all evil. The issue was trust nothing to do with money.

Women require Time and Money
    Women = Time * Money

But time is money
    Women = Money * Money

Therefore
    Women = Money²

But like you said Money is the Root of Evil
    Evil = Money²

Therefore:
    Women = Evil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Cant disclose amount because I don't think I heard the truth and its almost 3 years....correction was 3 years.

Ballpark it. We talking hob nobs money or generic custard cream money?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

And therein perhaps lies the reason that the guy was trying to squirrel some money aside.

My Ex would have been the exact same

I was always saving for a rainy day.
    If she knew there was €5k sitting there, she'd be at me, and at me, and at me, and at me, and at me, and at me, and at me, and at me, and at me, and at me, and at me, and at me, and at me, and at me, and at me, and at me, and at me, and at me, and at me, and at me, and at me, and at me, and at me, and at me, and at me, and at me, and at me, and at me, and at me to spend it on a Holiday.

She made the same money as me, she just pi$$ed hers away.

If I had won a €1,000,000 I don't think I'd have told her. As she'd just spend it in Dundrum in about 12 to 24 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Would you consider the trust to be rebuilt if he handed over 50% of the winnings, what’s your price?

Seems a bit petty to walk away from a relationship over this, were you in it for love or for financial betterment?
    Was it emotional or a business transaction?

How about: tell him you’re delighted he had a bit of good luck. And say / think no more about it.
    (Perhaps he cleared a debt, that you were also unaware of, with the winnings)

Forgiveness is also an important part of a relationship.

Money isn’t the root of all evil, the love of money is the root of all evil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Rory28 wrote: »
    Ballpark it. We talking hob nobs money or generic custard cream money?

fair question!

Size|Grading|Odds
    <€100|Own-brand Custard Creams|2/1
    €101-€1,000|"Real" Custard Creams|4/5
    €1,001-€10,000|Hobnobs|1/4F
    €10,001-€1,000,000|Ferrero Rocher|3/1
    >€1,000,000|Buy the Biscuit Factory|10/1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I got a $50 giftcard from work for xmas and pretty much danced in front of my partner waving it about.... I may not be very grown up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

HOW MUCH MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

thinks back to all the work bonuses I used to get and keep from the missus..."yeah, theyre could be a legit reason"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,456 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Some people are just bad with money OP and it can be very evident to everyone apart from them.

Your boyfriend might think you're bad with money therefore he doesn't want to let you know because he might have plans for it (which he doesn't want you to risk)

Or on the flip side, maybe he's just a miser. It's anyone's guess really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

o1s1n wrote: »
    Some people are just bad with money OP and it can be very evident to everyone apart from them.

Your boyfriend might think you're bad with money therefore he doesn't want to let you know because he might have plans for it (which he doesn't want you to risk)

Or on the flip side, maybe he's just a miser. It's anyone's guess really.

Either way, it's his money. Getting snotty over how much he has (and doesn't tell you) is a bit rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

Some people are also very bad at keeping things quiet. Maybe he didn't think you'd be able to keep the news to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

givyjoe wrote: »
    Either way, it's his money. Getting snotty over how much he has (and doesn't tell you) is a bit rich.

It wouldn't be about the money for me at all. If my partner kept *any* big news from me I'd find it very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Anna2834

minikin wrote: »
    Would you consider the trust to be rebuilt if he handed over 50% of the winnings, what’s your price?

Seems a bit petty to walk away from a relationship over this, were you in it for love or for financial betterment?
    Was it emotional or a business transaction?

How about: tell him you’re delighted he had a bit of good luck. And say / think no more about it.
    (Perhaps he cleared a debt, that you were also unaware of, with the winnings)

Forgiveness is also an important part of a relationship.

Money isn’t the root of all evil, the love of money is the root of all evil.

I don't want money or anything - for me it was that I wasn't trusted...that's what I picked up.

Look guys thanks a mill for all the help, I was trying to see if I was being unreasonable with my reaction, and I was acting childish and petty.

But as one person said earlier, it was only 18 months he doesn't have to say anything to me, which is fair enough.

Anyway I am happy and content with my decision....no trust no future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

The irony here is that we're all as annoyed as the OP, because we don't know how much money we're talking about here.

I dont want money or anything - for me it was that I wasn't trusted...thats what I picked up.

It really depends on the amount. Is it life changing money? If it is a couple of grand then I dont think its a problem at all.

I dont want money or anything - for me it was that I wasn't trusted...thats what I picked up.

That can be hard to accept in a relationship, perhaps in the early days of your relationship he didn't know enough about you to deem you trustworthy.

A foolish person goes into a relationship completely trusting those they don't really know yet...

Trust is the product and result of a good long term relationship.

(Right, that's all my motivational poster quotes used up for now) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

When we were under a year together my boyfriend won a sum of money and it was a very joyous occasion for him, and he couldn't wait to share it with me...the news I mean! I especially remember because when I came home from work there was one of his work acquaintances there and he waited for yer man to leave before giving me a big hug :) It certainly wasn't a life-changing amount...it just meant a bit of comfort for a big purchase.

We were living together, so maybe it was different, but I'd certainly feel more than just put out if he hadn't told me, just from the honesty and trust point of view, and why he wouldn't want to celebrate happy news with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

TBH this is the thing I wouldn't understand. Why wouldnt your partner tell you.

They don't have to let you have access to the money if they so wish but I would think it very strange not to say anything

• Advertisement

valoren wrote: »
    The irony here is that we're all as annoyed as the OP, because we don't know how much money we're talking about here.

I honestly dont know exactly something along the lines of Ferrero Rocher

SAMTALK wrote: »
    TBH this is the thing I wouldn't understand. Why wouldnt your partner tell you.

They don't have to let you have access to the money if they so wish but I would think it very strange not to say anything

Exactly my point - it was nice to tell me that's all. Absolutely no need to have access to anything....for me it's again coming back to the trust issue.

I honestly dont know exactly

Ah Anna, I feel you're holding out on us... I don't see our relationship lasting if we can't trust you to be open with us :)

Ah Anna, I think you're holding out on us... I don't see our relationship lasting if we can't trust you to be open with us :)

I know and I AM sorry about that. It was a nice enough sum...all I wanted to hear is the "trust" part but a lot of people seem to concentrate on the money aspect, which for me is irrelevant - I was more interested in the "no trust" part.

I know and I AM sorry about that. It was a nice enough sum...all I wanted to her is the "trust" part but a lot of people seem to concentrate on the money aspect, which for me is irrelevant - I was more interested in the "no trust" part.

You tease us with unknown fortunes! If you cant trust him then you're right in wanting to leave him.

I know and I AM sorry about that. It was a nice enough sum...all I wanted to hear is the "trust" part but a lot of people seem to concentrate on the money aspect, which for me is irrelevant - I was more interested in the "no trust" part.

If the sum he won was €5 would you still be as concerned that he didn't tell you?

I wonder if deep down your problem is not about TRUST but about the fact that he apparently didn't want to SHARE a decent amount of shrapnel with you?
    I would see that as a more reasonable problem to have with him...

Rory28 wrote: »
    You tease us with unknown fortunes! If you cant trust him then you're right in wanting to leave him.

its the Ferrero Rocher - now that you have a rough idea of the sum is would you have liked to know if the shoe was on the other foot?

Size Grading Odds
    <€100 Own-brand Custard Creams 2/1
    €101-€1,000 "Real" Custard Creams 4/5
    €1,001-€10,000 Hobnobs 1/4F
    €10,001-€1,000,000 Ferrero Rocher 3/1
    >€1,000,000 Buy the Biscuit Factory 10/1

If the sum he won was €5 would you still be as concerned that he didn't tell you?

I wonder if deep down your problem is not about TRUST but about the fact that he apparently didn't want to SHARE a decent amount of shrapnel with you?
    I would see that as a more reasonable problem to have with him...

Absolutely nothing at all to do with that. I have a good job I assure you and never wanted anyone's money....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The op sound like they want to convince themselves that its alright.

If you seeing someone for years its a relationship not dating.

At the very least its secretive and a bit odd why would someone not want to share good news with someone they love.

Walking away sounds dramatic why not talk about it.

The only thing that would make a slight difference is was the money won before the relationship started or while in the relationship.

The op also sound like they has concerns about the person but is pushing them away because they want to stay with the person, Its possible for people to convince themselves of anything make excuses for anything because they want to stay in the relationship its not all that uncommon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

How about you win some money too, and not tell your partner for a year?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement