Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honest advice

Options
  • 12-01-2018 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

I need some honest advice on an issue.

So lets say that you have been dating someone for a few years, during that time this person wins money, they don't say a word to you for about a year and a few months and by mistake (Freudian slip) it comes out...should the other person just walk away on hearing the so called Freudian slip?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

It depends. If they won a hundred quid on a scratch card they may have just not thought it important enough to mention. If it was a few grand then it would be really strange not to mention it to someone they were in a relationship with. It would indicate to me that either they viewed the relationship as a casual one, which maybe it was, or they just did not trust the other person.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

If it’s big money, they could be waiting to see how the relationship develops.

Wouldn’t want to distort things because they’ve suddenly become wealthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

All sorts of reasons to keep quiet about money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

If they won it on a horse then maybe the reason they didn't mention it is because gambling is an issue they don't want you to know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Anna2834 wrote: »

So lets say that you have been dating someone for a few years, during that time this person wins money, they don't say a word to you for about a year and a few months and by mistake (Freudian slip) it comes out...should the other person just walk away on hearing the so called Freudian slip?

People act strange when money is involved.

It's been know to rip apart families.

How much money are we talking about and what age are you guys?
    Also what's his/your history? Divorced/sperated/Kids/etc
    At the end of the day, you're only dating a few years and you're not married.
    It's not you're money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It would depend on how much money was won and when in the relationship it happened. If it happened at the beginning of the relationship then I can understand the other person not saying anything however if it was after a year or more then I'd be questioning why the secrecy especially if its a large amount and by large amount I mean in excess of €50k as I think anything under that isn't exactly life changing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Depends on how long they've been dating and how much. 100 grand or less I'd mention it without issue at any point in the relationship. After two years of the relationship if I won 100 grand or into the millions I absolutely wouldn't mention it, because for all I know she's staying with me for the money. Haven't really known her that long after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

After a few years I would say it is more than 'dating', you are in a full on relationship. And if the money is a life changing amount then yes, it should have been disclosed IMO.
    Dr Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Maybe they could be asked "why didn't you tell me"?
    There could be 500 good and bad reasons why they didn't tell. Given that this is AH, the odds of getting the real reason here are approx 50,000/1...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Anna2834

After a few years I would say it is more than 'dating', you are in a full on relationship. And if the money is a life changing amount then yes, it should have been disclosed IMO.
    Dr Phil.

Thanks for the advice everyone much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Maybe they could be asked "why didn't you tell me"?
    There could be 500 good and bad reasons why they didn't tell. Given that this is AH, the odds of getting the real reason here are approx 50,000/1...

I'll take those odds!!!!!

Your Face wrote: »

Oh I love that song now...but I can assure you nothing of that sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

How much money are we talking here?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe they thought you would change when you heard about the change in their situation?

jamesbere wrote: »

What I was trying to get at here is the trust part, nothing to do with money. I wanted to know if the person should just walk away since they weren't told.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

a colleague of mine had a secret account. Squirrelled away a portion of his money and specifically told the bank NOT to send out any statements.

For some reason, a couple of years later, they did and his wife found out. She gave him stick and spent about 25% as recompense.

I mentioned that story to a few friends of mine. A couple of different ladies said they had a secret fund - they called it "running away money" (semi tongue in cheek)- in case they ever needed to. Apparently its quite common for ladies to do that :eek:

biko wrote: »
    Maybe they thought you would change when you heard about the change in their situation?

Absolutely nothing to do with money - the issue I am trying to get across is the trust part.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

jamesbere wrote: »
    What I was trying to get at here is the trust part, nothing to do with money. I wanted to know if the person should just walk away since they weren't told.

TBF I think it is relevant. If it is 50e, then no. If it was 2.64 Billion, then yes.

You with me?

Nah, I wouldn't walk away if I wasn't told, it's their money and they have their reasons for not telling you.

Now, if they didn't pick up a round of pints every now and then or dinner despite having a lot of money I'd be a bit furious.

Let me ask you this, if you suddenly right now got 2 million in the bank, would you tell him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

grahambo wrote: »
    I'll take those odds!!!!!

Here are a few reasons:
    1. I forgot 12/1
    2. I was just going to tell you but you were making tea 33/1
    3. I told you but you were sleeping 1000/30
    4. I was distracted by all of the island shopping I was doing and it slipped my mind 50/1
    5. If I told you about this one, I;d have to tell you about the other 7 (if you count only those wins over €100,000) as well 200/1
    6. I thought the money was only resting in my account. 1/3

My recommendation would be to stick €10 on "I forgot"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Depends on a few things. Does the one who the money was kept from tend to be bad with money, or spend a lot of the other partners money for example?

In terms of whether to walk away - it depends what is more important; the relationship or the money?

Nah, I wouldn't walk away if I wasn't told, it's their money and they have their reasons for not telling you.

Now, if they didn't pick up a round of pints every now and then or dinner despite having a lot of money I'd be a bit furious.

Let me ask you this, if you suddenly right now got 2 million in the bank, would you tell him?

YES Immediately, absolutely no doubt about it. 100% I would.

Guys thank's a mill for all the help and advice I really appreciate it. I sort of understand now why some people would hide it, I just guess I couldn't/wouldn't do it. Guess money is the root of all evil. The issue was trust nothing to do with money.

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Depends on a few things. Does the one who the money was kept from tend to be bad with money, or spend a lot of the other partners money for example?

NO not at all.

In terms of whether to walk away - it depends what is more important; the relationship or the money?
    obviously money to the other person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Fair enough, if your in a long enough relationship and your partner doesn't want to share with you they've won then I would see that as odd. Some people are strange when it comes to money so I would wonder why they didn't see the need to tell you.

Here are a few reasons:
    1. I forgot 12/1
    2. I was just going to tell you but you were making tea 33/1
    3. I told you but you were sleeping 1000/30
    4. I was distracted by all of the island shopping I was doing and it slipped my mind 50/1
    5. If I told you about this one, I;d have to tell you about the other 7 (if you count only those wins over €100,000) as well 200/1
    6. I thought the money was only resting in my account. 1/3

My recommendation would be to stick €10 on "I forgot"

Gave me a good laugh :D:D:D

OK OP I think it's time you told us how much and how long you've been with him. That would help.

OK OP I think it's time you told us how much and how long you've been with him. That would help.

Cant disclose amount because I don't think I heard the truth and its almost 3 years....correction was 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

... and by large amount I mean in excess of €50k as I think anything under that isn't exactly life changing.

Speak for yourself pal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

everlast75 wrote: »
    a colleague of mine had a secret account. Squirrelled away a portion of his money and specifically told the bank NOT to send out any statements. For some reason, a couple of years later, they did and his wife found out. She gave him stick and spent about 25% as recompense.

And therein perhaps lies the reason that the guy was trying to squirrel some money aside.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement