Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenland Express: Snow showers possible from Monday night

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Monday night, Tuesday and Tuesday night looking good.

Accumulating snow in the west and northwest, north midlands on Monday night, more widespread through Tuesday and Tuesday night.

Wednesday evening could bring a temporary milder blip with some rain, sleet and snow. Have to watch that as it could be more favorable for snow in the northern half of the country yet. Potential for strong winds with this as well.

This clearing through later Wednesday night and back in business on Thursday with more snowfall and low temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

If the ecm chart is correct for Wednesday it could be very interesting in the northern half of the country. I will be looking on enviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Monday night, Tuesday and Tuesday night looking good.

Accumulating snow in the west and northwest, north midlands on Monday night, more widespread through Tuesday and Tuesday night.

Wednesday evening could bring a temporary milder blip with some rain, sleet and snow. Have to watch that as it could be more favorable for snow in the northern half of the country yet. Potential for strong winds with this as well.

This clearing through later Wednesday night and back in business on Thursday with more snowfall and low temperatures.

I always approach a snow forecast with caution but can't help but get somewhat excited about the prospects for next week.
    Reminds me of a good winter Dar.man thread

Actually if the ECM is correct for Wednesday there could be damaging winds about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Actually if the ECM is correct for Wednesday there could be damaging winds about.

A blizzard it is then. *puts on gloves and hat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I always approach a snow forecast with caution but can't help but get somewhat excited about the prospects for next week.
    Reminds me of a good winter Dar.man thread

Good thing we don't have someone like yer man Su Campu around anymore who used to poopoo on those old Darkman2 threads. ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭booferking

Yep full ramp mod go have a look at gfs 12z its all cold right to the end and in the end we have the mother of all easterlies.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

This would be nice

uksnowrisk.png

sdanseo wrote: »
    A blizzard it is then. *puts on gloves and hat

If only sdanseo. I have never experienced a blizzard before. The closest was 2009. When that cold spell came to and end, su campu and met eireann had forecasted rain only everywhere, but it snowed here for 12 hours in a strong breeze, but not strong enough to be classed as a blizzard. It was at that time a met eireann radio forecaster was heard to say" you can never turn back on snow"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Calibos wrote: »
    Good thing we don't have someone like yer man Su Campu around anymore who used to poopoo on those old Darkman2 threads. ;):D

This place loves its pseudonyms...

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

HighLine wrote: »
    This would be nice

uksnowrisk.png

Carlsberg don't do weather charts but if they did..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

sparrowcar wrote: »
    This place loves its pseudonyms...

;)

I think I know who all the main players are. ;)

ME? I always have and always will be 'that annoying Costa Del Bray' Dude who hasn't a clue about weather forecasting and who thinks teleconnections are those old phones with the spinning wheel dialers but who likes to hang around here nonetheless:D

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

I'd be a happy camper here in cork if that happened, Doubtful though when you look at the rest of the charts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

They would do easterlies ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

ICON having none of it for us this week really.

Scotland, however :rolleyes:

iconeu_uk1-1-108-0.png?13-17

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

Good chance of some settling snow at some stage from Tuesday on but no one can be more specific than that. Id say 70% chance where you are but 40% or so where I am (Cork suburb). I did recently move house and add 20 metres to my altitude so Im hoping that might make the difference!

Hope the 20m makes all the difference for you! Now that I have a 37 mile commute and a rear wheel drive it'll chuck down 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

If only sdanseo. I have never experienced a blizzard before. The closest was 2009. When that cold spell came to and end, su campu and met eireann had forecasted rain only everywhere, but it snowed here for 12 hours in a strong breeze, but not strong enough to be classed as a blizzard. It was at that time a met eireann radio forecaster was heard to say" you can never turn back on snow"

A blizzard isn't pleasant to be out in. You either need goggles and your face covered as natural instinct is to keep your head down to keep the snow out of your eyes, as there is snow blowing everywhere. Lying snow on the ground is whipped up, snow on roofs is is added to the snow falling and you just have snow like everywhere...
    Last proper blizzard here on the hills in north Kilkenny was at the end of March 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It was very blizzardy today in 2015, white out here. Bandon was flooded coincidentally so were half way there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

I am a veteran of the blizzard of January 1982,36 years ago this week
    That was 3 and a half days long in this part of the south east
    It lingered until the Saturday afternoon
    The wind wasn’t strong enough in the nov dec 2010 episodes to qualify

However in the 2nd or 3rd week of January 2010 when a few of us headed in heavy rain from Arklow to Glenmalure via Aughavanagh,we met Blizzard conditions just above Aughavanagh and very rough road conditions until the road was completely blocked,a drift maybe 4 or 5 feet
    (Some job reversing and turning to get out of that!!) But we stuck around up there for a bit taboggoning down the road
    That was a proper sand in your face blizzard too

There were blizzard conditions in Ballinteer in January ‘87 when I lived there and also at home in Arklow at the time

RobertKK wrote: »
    A blizzard isn't pleasant to be out in. You either need goggles and your face covered as natural instinct is to keep your head down to keep the snow out of your eyes, as there is snow blowing everywhere. Lying snow on the ground is whipped up, snow on roofs is is added to the snow falling and you just have snow like everywhere...
    Last proper blizzard here on the hills in north Kilkenny was at the end of March 2010.

Ah yeah i am not denying it might be unpleasant to be out in if you are out farming or have to work outdoors, but i would still like to experience one. To be honest i was more thinking about watching it from the comfort of being indoors:o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I remember walking with my mum to the shops when I was 8 years old a few hours into the start of the 1982 blizzard and I was far from happy, horizontal snow and pellets of ice really stung my face.

It's an experience I'll never forget and one I haven't experienced since!

I was far too young to fully appreciate the 1982 blizzard and it's only occurred to me over the past 10 years that the 1982 event is probably a once in a lifetime experience. 2010 was a lot of snow but there very little wind and no drifting as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

I remember 82 well non stop for 2 days and nights the depth i will never see again i think
    2010 for me was more about the cold than actual snow depth but another event i dont think i will see again

So what were the actual snow depths from that blizzard in 1982?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

that's very tough to answer when the snow drifts are taken into account. I remember walking on top of snow drifts with cars buried beneath so some of the snow depths was several meters, I also remember blades of grass in places where the snow was whipped up and away to another location.

This account from the BBC in Wales gives a very good idea of what it was like here in Meath, but looking at the footage, i think the snow here was actually even deeper than what BBC filmed.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-42615172

Around Croghan,which I often mention here the drifts in jan 82 were up to the tree tops,that’s circa 30 to 40 feet in the woods
    Down here near Arklow the drifts were over the ditches so up to 10 feet or so
    That’s not an exaggeration,I experienced it
    The weight of the snow frozen around ESB lines brought them down
    The lines were the thickness of mugs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

https://www.facebook.com/EUStormMap
    Click the link to see a map from this page on the predicted snowfall
    Are they an independent forecaster?

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/0109/843699-communities-snowed-in/

The 2nd half of the video on that page that was filmed in South Wicklow and north wexford
    The doctor interviewed is Gerry Liddy who died a few months ago
    The aer corps were air lifting him to a patient as all the roads were blocked
    In one part towards the end of the video,the aer corps man goes back out with food parcels saying ‘there’s people over there
    You can see the large drifts around the house
    That would have been on the Wicklow Wexford border

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Vehicles were not able to move on the Naas Road cars and trucks abandoned went down with my da to dig a neighbours car out of the snow not push dig

Gonzo wrote: »
    that's very tough to answer when the snow drifts are taken into account. I remember walking on top of snow drifts with cars buried beneath so some of the snow depths was several meters, I also remember blades of grass in places where the snow was whipped up and away to another location.

This account from the BBC in Wales gives a very good idea of what it was like here in Meath, but looking at the footage, i think the snow here was actually even deeper than what BBC filmed.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-42615172

from that link:
    " I would not rule it out. Maybe not this winter or next but surely it will happen again at some point in the future - we just need the right weather pattern!"

We can only hope he is right! What I would not give to experience an event like that. Ye were lucky men to witness that event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Glasfield

In 1982, I was living in Glasnevin in Dublin, was 8 years of age and remember there was a bus shelter at the end of our road that, in the space of one evening, was completely covered over with snow, so much so that it couldn't be seen the following morning. A memory that I'll never forget, just couldn't believe how much snow had fallen in a relatively short space of time

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement