Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighter jets for the Air Corps?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

roadmaster wrote: »
    Did the yanks ever bring a F117?

not officially, they are flying in Nevada and Oklahoma an awful lot. Lots of planespotters have photos of them flying low level

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blindsider

https://twitter.com/EHSBspotter/status/1376491583969845255

2 x Tupolev 'Bears' decided to go play with 2 x Belgian F-16s this morning.

RAF had some planes up too, but don't think they got involved. Still some activity off NE Scotland...? (ADS-B)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Time to rev up the Irish Strike Force!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Time to rev up the Irish Strike Force!

I see they are restoring the "Eire" sign in Howth. Should they do it in Cyrillic too?
    Эйре

• Site Banned Posts: 78 ✭✭Jerrykay6

Sounds great. Sure we should get the navy a few aircraft carriers while we're at it. Load them up with F22s.

• Advertisement

Jerrykay6 wrote: »
    Sounds great. Sure we should get the navy a few aircraft carriers while we're at it. Load them up with F22s.

No point. F22 isn't carrier capable.
    Thanks for your input though.

Glad to hear about more Eire signs being restored. Did they restore the one on Bray Head that was exposed in a gorse fire a couple of years ago? I hope so! I might volunteer to help out with further restorations.... Keep safe Y'all!

• Site Banned Posts: 78 ✭✭Jerrykay6

Dohvolle wrote: »
    No point. F22 isn't carrier capable.
    Thanks for your input though.

F35 excuse me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

We should get the Viggen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    We should get the Viggen.

Loud old boy. I'd prefer the Draken, always loved that aircraft.

• Advertisement

source wrote: »
    Loud old boy. I'd prefer the Draken, always loved that aircraft.

Nothing beats the Mig 21 when it comes to loud. Soviet Russia didn't care if your ears bled while it taxied. Draken had beautiful lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

Jerrykay6 wrote: »

Is this Johnnybigwallets alt?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Saab Gripens and a few BAE Hawks?

UTube below with a view..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srMoZhn4kzI

Thank you for posting that... A jolly interesting discussion about a very thorny and difficult problem. I'd go for the advanced Korean trainer / interceptor meself out of the various options in the video.

Jawgap wrote: »
    And what exactly is the threat we're defending against, in your view?

The unknown.

Jonny Russian. Innit obvious?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The unknown.

A rogue or far right British state or Statelet anxious to reestablish the old status quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Glad to hear about more Eire signs being restored. Did they restore the one on Bray Head that was exposed in a gorse fire a couple of years ago? I hope so! I might volunteer to help out with further restorations.... Keep safe Y'all!

My hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

The RAF is to retire 24 Tranche 1 Typhoons - The Air Defense model. Those planes aren't too old and were expected to be in service until 2040 following recent upgrades. Would be ideal for Ireland with training, servicing and maintenance available next door.....

Plus we could act as "Aggressor" in training exercises with the RAF

https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news-detail/uk-defence-command-paper-raf-to-axe-older-typhoons

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Yawlboy wrote:
    The RAF is to retire 24 Tranche 1 Typhoons - The Air Defense model. Those planes aren't too old and were expected to be in service until 2040 following recent upgrades. Would be ideal for Ireland with training, servicing and maintenance available next door.....

Maybe we need to build a few houses first, and maybe employee a few more health workers, before we considering buying military death machines!

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Maybe we need to build a few houses first, and maybe employee a few more health workers, before we considering buying military death machines!

Ireland spends 0.29% of GDP on its Military, one of the lowest in the world. Its military personnel are underpaid and lacking in equipment.

However we have the 5th highest spend on Healthcare. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(18)30461-6/fulltext

Yawlboy wrote: »
    Ireland spends 0.29% of GDP on its Military, one of the lowest in the world. Its military personnel are underpaid and lacking in equipment.

However we have the 5th highest spend on Healthcare. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(18)30461-6/fulltext

oh i agree our personnel should be getting better paid, but forking out millions, possibly billions on flying death machines, na you re grand thanks, let other countries do such stupid things.

yup, and our health care system needs even more money, and we cant keep taxing people more for it either

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

oh i agree our personnel should be getting better paid, but forking out millions, possibly billions on flying death machines, na you re grand thanks, let other countries do such stupid things.

yup, and our health care system needs even more money, and we cant keep taxing people more for it either

No the health care doesn't need more money it need a course In financial management

Gary kk wrote: »
    No the health care doesn't need more money it need a course In financial management

it actually doesnt really, because its not like a private sector business, having a functioning health care system is a critical economic and societal need, as not having one, causes major economic shocks such as lockdowns etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

it actually doesnt really, because its not like a private sector business, having a functioning health care system is a critical economic and societal need, as not having one, causes major economic shocks such as lockdowns etc!

Yeah ok buddy go troll elsewhere

I'd say you are the type of person who would tell people to support their local butcher, but at the same time they should eat vegan. Why do you want to pay them more if their job offends you so much?

"Flying death machines?" Great band name.
    You clearly saw the thread title, and waded in with your stupid ill informed nonsense, without once considering what the aircraft are needed for.
    Meanwhile you say we should keep throwing money at the health service, like pouring water in a bucket of sawdust.
    €17 Billion in 2019, and an additional €2 billion required because they used that up before the end of the year. Meanwhile the poorly paid Defence Forces Return some of their Just under €1 billion every year unspent, because possibly people like you don't want them having bullets in their guns...

And a well funded military can act as a surge capacity to man test centres, bring test samples overseas in their flying death machines, use the same flying death machines to bring PPE and vaccines to the state and it's offshore islands. It's floating death machines can also be used as a floating test centre.
    In fact your argument for a functioning health care system can also be used to justify a well funded Defence Force.

The RAF is to retire 24 Tranche 1 Typhoons - The Air Defence model. Those planes aren't too old and were expected to be in service until 2040 following recent upgrades. Would be ideal for Ireland with training, servicing and maintenance available next door.....

Plus we could act as "Aggressor" in training exercises with the RAF

https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news-detail/uk-defence-command-paper-raf-to-axe-older-typhoons

But getting back to my original point, the Typhoon would be an excellent choice for air defence fighter. Reckon the UK would let them go very cheaply to us.

But getting back to my original point, the Typhoon would be an excellent choice for air defense fighter. Reckon the UK would let them go very cheaply to us.

Defense?

• Advertisement

Dohvolle wrote: »
    Defense?
    oops Typo, thanks fixed

Advertisement