Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighter jets for the Air Corps?

Options

Comments

^^^^^ Expect the usual bleeding hearts brigade here to rail against this. Hint: the same cohort who protested outside Shannon against the American soldiers transitioning to Iraq.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭sparky42

^^^^^ Expect the usual bleeding hearts brigade here to rail against this. Hint: the same cohort who protested outside Shannon against the American soldiers transitioning to Iraq.

Not just that element which is beyond annoying, but there's still the reality that there's zero budget, the massive skill/manpower gap and purpose...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Cool bit of kit! I notice the US air force is flogging off some completely refurbed F16's complete with training and spares and support package. Indonesia just bought a load of them and they have another buyer lined up for a couple of squadrons as well. Good opportunity for our lads to get hold of some I reckon...at a decent price!

And who is going to fly them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Buy em first and you'll have blokes joining up in droves. I might even give it a lash myself.

Buy em first and you'll have blokes joining up in droves. I might even give it a lash myself.

Dont forget: Watch Top Gun II as well.

• Advertisement

Dont forget: Watch Top Gun II as well.

The Mitty is strong with this one.

F16’s lads? For what exactly?

Would ye ever get a hold on reality.

Yeah.. I love it! Lookin forward to lashin off a few of them auld Sidewinders ....
    Not to mention the Hellfire and Brimstone missiles. Not tonight though. Don't want to hit auld Santa Clause by mistake. Merry Christmas All.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Lord Fairlord

sparky42 wrote: »
    But think of the "outrage" from everyone about spending X million on defence when there's Y problems, while ignoring the fact that said problems have so much more money put into them...

Indeed, it wouldn't surprise me if calls for more money for the blackhole that is the health service would be made if the defence budget got an increase.

Indeed, it wouldn't surprise me if calls for more money for the blackhole that is the health service would be made if the defence budget got an increase.

Oh of course, I mean you can just see the Opposition TD's (particularly the Shinners/Left) screaming about "militarising our neutrality while X hundred are on trolleys" without even commenting on the size of the HSE budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

Face it lads, we cant afford them, we don't need them and there is better things the defence budget could be spent on.
    I also think those PC-9's are a waste of resources. They are overkill for the role of training and completely useless for defending the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

Why would the UK defend Ireland? After Brexit I doubt if they will ever control the waters and stop drugs reaching Ireland. Why should they? Old Leo and his pal sowed enough hate for a lifetime.

You cant slag off the UK cus we are in the EU and then expect the UK to defend us. Surely thats down to us or the EU. Although I wouldn't bank on it.

Face it lads, we cant afford them, we don't need them and there is better things the defence budget could be spent on.
    I also think those PC-9's are a waste of resources. They are overkill for the role of training and completely useless for defending the country.

To be fair, honestly we could if there was even a most basic spend on Defence. I mean the leases for the Gripens to eastern European countries aren't anything huge if we were spending even 1%

Why would the UK defend Ireland? After Brexit I doubt if they will ever control the waters and stop drugs reaching Ireland. Why should they? Old Leo and his pal sowed enough hate for a lifetime.

You cant slag off the UK cus we are in the EU and then expect the UK to defend us. Surely thats down to us or the EU. Although I wouldn't bank on it.

What?

What?

The original post about the RAF defending Irish airspace.

The original post about the RAF defending Irish airspace.

Which if ever needed they will do as it suits them to, though it was also the rest of your post I couldn't make sense out of.

Which if ever needed they will do as it suits them to, though it was also the rest of your post I couldn't make sense out of.

Possibly.

The rest of my post............Do you not think that the UK patrols the waters around Irelands atlantic coast for drugs being smuggled? If the Uk's armed forces decide to just patrol the seas between Ireland and UK there is not going to be much to stop stuff arriving here is there?

Ireland just played against the UK during Brexit. Why would the UK bother to help Ireland now unless it was in their own interest. But if Ireland needs protecting against something then surely it should be Ireland or it's EU that does that and they can't rely on the UK to help them anymore after what went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

To be fair, honestly we could if there was even a most basic spend on Defence. I mean the leases for the Gripens to eastern European countries aren't anything huge if we were spending even 1%

We could afford lots of things, but just look at the way the people of this country views our defence forces. There isn't a hope we'll ever get anything more than a token defence. And then people mouthing about neutrality, what a laugh. Tell me, if the east went to war with the west, who do you think the people of Ireland would be rooting for?

Sorry for the rant:mad:

We could afford lots of things, but just look at the way the people of this country views our defence forces. There isn't a hope we'll ever get anything more than a token defence. And then people mouthing about neutrality, what a laugh. Tell me, if the east went to war with the west, who do you think the people of Ireland would be rooting for?

Sorry for the rant:mad:

Pat Kenny would blame Trump.......every day of every week of every month.

Most of the Lefties on Boards.ie (and there are many) would blame Brexit and then Trump.

Higgins would tell us that we must house all the migrants and refugees.

Meanwhile as the Chinese and Russian fleets amass off the coast of Galway ready to invade. Irish people would be begging Britain for help as we are their bestest ever friend kiss kiss kiss ........while Germany, France and other EU countries hide in their bunkers and try to undermine everything that Britain and America do to defend the free world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Possibly.

The rest of my post............Do you not think that the UK patrols the waters around Irelands atlantic coast for drugs being smuggled? If the Uk's armed forces decide to just patrol the seas between Ireland and UK there is not going to be much to stop stuff arriving here is there?

Ireland just played against the UK during Brexit. Why would the UK bother to help Ireland now unless it was in their own interest. But if Ireland needs protecting against something then surely it should be Ireland or it's EU that does that and they can't rely on the UK to help them anymore after what went on.

That's the same UK who shamefully threatened to starve us, right?

pablo128 wrote: »
    That's the same UK who shamefully threatened to starve us, right?

Oh Jesus will you get over yourself. It was 150+ years ago different people different times. What happens today and tomorrow counts. Or are you going to blame the Vikings for carrying off your great, great, great, great great, great, great great, great, great, great grandmother and raping her as well?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Oh Jesus will you get over yourself. It was 150+ years ago different people different times. What happens today and tomorrow counts. Or are you going to blame the Vikings for carrying off your great, great, great, great great, great, great great, great, great, great grandmother and raping her as well?

2 years ago actually.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/brexit-tory-mp-backtracks-over-food-scarcity-in-ireland-1.3725093%3Fmode%3Damp&ved=2ahUKEwj6i7n4ve7mAhUGURUIHckzA64QFjAIegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw04usfyT3Vfbd1KU8aYQddy&ampcf=1

pablo128 wrote: »

The country is awash with food but if you cant do without your imported stuff thats your problem and there is no way this country would starve.

You will just have to buy Irish produce instead of inferior cheaper imported stuff when you are feeling so patriotic when visiting Tesco again.

Anyway my post about a war between east and west was just sarcastic humour.

Possibly.

Ah No the UK doesn't patrol Irish waters, the RN barely has enough ships to handle the taskings that they have currently and have their own manpower and equipment issues.

Ireland didn't "play" anyone, frankly everyone just stood back and watched the UK mutilate itself. The UK would in some imaginary event act to protect Ireland for the same reason it always has, as it's in it's interest to do so.

Ah No the UK doesn't patrol Irish waters, the RN barely has enough ships to handle the taskings that they have currently and have their own manpower and equipment issues.

Ireland didn't "play" anyone, frankly everyone just stood back and watched the UK mutilate itself. The UK would in some imaginary event act to protect Ireland for the same reason it always has, as it's in it's interest to do so.

Read what I put. I never said Irish waters which I think only extend to 12 miles off the coast. I said the Atlantic.

As regards play.....Leo and his sidekick were on Sky more than Kay Burley regularly telling the UK how wrong they were. Even Irish ministers told him to cool it.

Anyway off topic.

Read what I put. I never said Irish waters which I think only extend to 12 miles off the coast. I said the Atlantic.

As regards play.....Leo and his sidekick were on Sky more than Kay Burley regularly telling the UK how wrong they were. Even Irish ministers told him to cool it.

Anyway off topic.

Go look at what the Irish EEZ is then. And everyone patrols the Atlantic. And you seem to have an interesting fantasy about how Brexit went.

Go look at what the Irish EEZ is then. And everyone patrols the Atlantic. And you seem to have an interesting fantasy about how Brexit went.

I dont have a fantasy about Brexit just how our glourious leader and his sidekick kept digging at the population of another country on the way they voted on their television.

The Royal Navy patrols the Atlantic for many reasons one is drugs which also get stopped from washing up on our shores. Without them the west coast of Ireland would be paddling in them. Our old rusty ex-trawler couldnt do much could it?

Why do you twist the words of posters to suit your means?

Shouldn't this discussion be on one of the naval threads? Nowt that's really to do with fighter jets! Happy new year one and all and bring on the second hand F16's in 2020 ( and a pair of KC390's as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Do we have a rusty old ex trawler ?
    As far as I know we've 4 beckets ( designed for the north Atlantic ) ,2 slightly smaller Roisins ( also designed for Atlantic patrol ) ,
    2 peacocks ...(coastal patrol )
    And the eithne ,getting a bit long in the tooth ,

The Navy seem short on personnel ,so Ive no idea how many they could man ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    As far as I know we've 4 beckets ( designed for the north Atlantic ) ,2 slightly smaller Roisins ( also designed for Atlantic patrol ) ,

I thought our boats were transporting migrants from Africa to hotels.

• Advertisement

Markcheese wrote: »

Arguably the old 20's were trawler based (nothing wrong with that the RN OPV's at the time were the same), but no we don't. As to how many ships are available, one of the Roisins is having the mid life refit, followed by the other, and Eithne and one of the Peacocks are currently laid up.

Advertisement