Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your experience with the Gardai

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Funny that anytime i'm stopped, and it happens quite often in the Dundalk area, i answer the questions and never experience any hassle.
    The times I see people giving abuse to people in uniform be they nurses, gard, bus drivers etc the thing they had in common was loudness and bad rearing.

Did you even read what I said???
    What level of stupidity am I dealing with? I said to be respectful and decline to answer any questions. How is that either loud or indecating a poor upbringing? Your suggesting we should just cow down and go along with any authority figure? You know that was tried before and it lead to camps and gas chambers.
    It's privacy for the citizen and transparency for the state not the other way around. Only a complete fool would think this way.

Have you thought about having lie down and try to relax ?
    Even by AHs standards the leap from experiences with Gardai to camps and has chamber's is quite an event in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You'll always get biased answers with this.

Someone who has got hauled off to the local station or got penalty points despite claiming it was not their fault etc will say bad things about the garda (generally)

Those who've only dealt with the guards when they were on the receiving side of things will call them lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Did you even read what I said???
    What level of stupidity am I dealing with? I said to be respectful and decline to answer any questions. How is that either loud or indecating a poor upbringing? Your suggesting we should just cow down and go along with any authority figure? You know that was tried before and it lead to camps and gas chambers.
    It's privacy for the citizen and transparency for the state not the other way around. Only a complete fool would think this way.
    Gas chamber ??? :D:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Takes a certain type of person to be a guard , most I've met share the same traits

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Someone who has got hauled off to the local station or got penalty points despite claiming it was not their fault etc will say bad things about the garda (generally)

I don't watch much TV but their is a UK show called 'Can't pay - we'll take it away'. I quite like it mostly because it's really shows what the general public are like. The show follows real life bailiffs calling to ppl's homes to collect debt. Businessmen, tenants etc. In some cases some really are horribly in debt and cant pay but often you see ppl who can pay and simply won't. Those types bitch to high heaven about the bailiffs and the courts and claim they have done nothing wrong when they clearly have. I'm sure the Guards suffer the same unwarranted abuse as you say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

I have lived on both sides of the track,.Up till the age of 30.I lived in what people call,the worst estate in Limerick.The way the guards behaved in that area, was a disgrace.I seen them make u10 football kids,empty their gearbags to make sure,no drugs were inside.I saw this once,asked a ban Garda, what the hell they were doing.I was told to **** off,or I will be arrested.I was in my running gear.I now live in what's considered one of the best area's in co Limerick.The only encounter I have had with the Guard's,,was a offer of some water,while out for a Run one hot summers day.

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    I have lived on both sides of the track,.Up till the age of 30.I lived in what people call,the worst estate in Limerick.The way the guards behaved in that area, was a disgrace.I seen them make u10 football kids,empty their gearbags to make sure,no drugs were inside.I saw this once,asked a ban Garda, what the hell they were doing.I was told to **** off,or I will be arrested.I was in my running gear.I now live in what's considered one of the best area's in co Limerick.The only encounter I have had with the Guard's,,was a offer of some water,while out for a Run one hot summers day.
    Yes. Imagine having to search young 10 year olds.??
    What king of perverse being would use 10 year olds to carry drugs. Disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Discodog wrote: »
    The Guards stopped my neighbour at a checkpoint. She had three children & a baby with her on their way to school. Her tax was 6 weeks out of date & this was only a few days since the Minister announced a change in the rules re a grace period.

The guards seized her car & left her & the kids by the roadside. Whether to seize a vehicle is at the Garda's discretion. They could of given her 7 days to produce it.

They also seized the van of a guy who had no work for months & was on his way to start a new job. He pleaded with them to give him a week to produce. He lost the job & the van as he couldn't afford to reclaim it.
    Discodog wrote: »
    Really ? Where ?

Oh & the link ? Is the Garda website good enough ? If this was still in force they wouldn't be able to seize it.

Section 41 of the Road Traffic Act 1994 as amended by Section 19 Road Traffic Act 2006 applies. A member of An Garda Sh may seize a vehicle being used in a public place where –

A member of An Garda Sh is of the opinion that the vehicle is being used in contravention of Section 56 Road Traffic Act 1961 i.e. The person driving the vehicle is not insured to drive the concerned vehicle.
    The person driving the vehicle refuses or fails to produce there and then a driving licence then having effect and licensing him/her to drive the vehicle, when production of such a licence is demanded of him/her by a member of An Garda Sh under Section 40(1) of the Road Traffic Act 1961 and the member is of the opinion that the person is by reason of his/her age ineligible to hold a driving licence, licensing him/her to drive the vehicle.
    There is no road tax in force for a period of 2 months or greater.

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=1727

Your own link makes your story seem untrue. It clearly says the tax must be out 2 months yet you said the neighbours was out 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If you want an honest answer very few done what they said they would but the ones that were good and decent were a credit to them all.

Had one a few years back fabricate evidence and made up shocking amount of stuff to get my case into court 4 times with not a single ounce of legitimate evidence.

He sided with a taxi driver and tried to destroy my career.....

Believe it or not I still like to think there are decent ones out there so I can't tar them all with the one brush.

Yes. Imagine having to search young 10 year olds.??
    What king of perverse being would use 10 year olds to carry drugs. Disgraceful.

I don't know if ur being sarcastic or not.But I will never forget,how sickened I was.Those kids will grow up to hate the guards,no matter what.In communities like that,the guards should be trying to integrate with the kids.Not paint them all with the same brush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I don't live in Ireland, so don't have any day-to-day dealings with the Gardaí. If they man the passport control booths in Dublin Airport, then they are a friendly, if inefficient, group of people.

When I was home in Galway for the Christmas I had to visit the local Garda station. Only 10 minutes earlier I was at the local filling station, putting petrol in the BMW hire car. As I was walking through the forecourt on my way into pay, I was nearly run over by some peanut-headed moron driving one of those disgraceful modified cars. I was able to take his registration details, along with the details of all the other modified cars that seemed to be using the carpark of the service station as a get together spot. I had no doubt they would be soon be racing and doing 'donuts' on some isolated road. They also appeared to be using exhausts that contravened noise pollution laws.

The young Garda who met me in reception and took down my details and report was extremely helpful. She even offered me a chocolate from a Roses tin they had open. I get the feeling she fancied Aongus, but I'll be honest: she really wasn't my sort. Vey agricultural looking sort of woman, with those unmistakeable Irish teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I don't live in Ireland, so don't have any day-to-day dealings with the Gardaí. If they man the passport control booths in Dublin Airport, then they are a friendly, if inefficient, group of people.

When I was home in Galway for the Christmas I had to visit the local Garda station. Only 10 minutes earlier I was at the local filling station, putting petrol in the BMW hire car. As I was walking through the forecourt on my way into pay, I was nearly run over by some peanut-headed moron driving one of those disgraceful modified cars. I was able to take his registration details, along with the details of all the other modified cars that seemed to be using the carpark of the service station as a get together spot. I had no doubt they would be soon be racing and doing 'donuts' on some isolated road. They also appeared to be using exhausts that contravened noise pollution laws.

The young Garda who met me in reception and took down my details and report was extremely helpful. She even offered me a chocolate from a Roses tin they had open. I get the feeling she fancied Aongus, but I'll be honest: she really wasn't my sort. Vey agricultural looking sort of woman, with those unmistakeable Irish teeth.

Bless you , Aongus , for walking amongst the mere mortals.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

So your experience is that they don’t do their job properly??

excuse me, that wasn't the question.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

Funny thing is all the decent people will accept questions from a Garda who might be in a bad mood, while the scum bags will laugh in his face and tell him to f..k off.All the gardai I met were very polite at check points etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They really need to cop on and treat the hard working decent folk properly and at least have them on side.

kingchess wrote: »
    Funny thing is all the decent people will accept questions from a Garda who might be in a bad mood, while the scum bags will laugh in his face and tell him to f..k off.All the gardai I met were very polite at check points etc.
    If you think all the guards are polite.You must live in cookoo land.Just look how they treated the whistle blower, Maurice mccabe.From the top to the bottom,the force is riddled with ,what's the word you used above,oh yes, Scumbags.

If you think all the guards are polite.You must live in cookoo land.Just look how they treated the whistle blower, Maurice mccabe.From the top to the bottom,the force is riddled with ,what's the word you used above,oh yes, Scumbags.

Ah the real you coming out now :D

Where did I say I think all Guards are polite?????:mad:

kingchess wrote: »
    Where did I say I think all Guards are polite?????:mad:
    Check your previous post.You said every guard you have met were polite.I have relatives and 1 close friend who are members.I wouldn't do their job for all the money in the world.Some of the things that they have witnessed would make you shudder.But I have seen first hand,the fat ban garda,treating kids like criminals,Just cause their from a certain area.You wander then why those youngsters grow up to hate the force.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Allinall

Check your previous post.You said every guard you have met were polite.I have relatives and 1 close friend who are members.I wouldn't do their job for all the money in the world.Some of the things that they have witnessed would make you shudder.But I have seen first hand,the fat ban garda,treating kids like criminals,Just cause their from a certain area.You wander then why those youngsters grow up to hate the force.

Personal insults.

Stay classy .

• Advertisement

Allinall wrote: »
    Personal insults.

Stay classy .
    What are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭blackcard

I have always found them courteous and professional. Apart from people in the medical area, I have not come across any other profession that I had such a positive experience.

Getting closer -I said every garda I met was polite-true. I never said all gardai are polite, which is what you seem to think I said .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

decky1 wrote: »
    excuse me, that wasn't the question.:rolleyes:

The question is “your experiences with Gardai”, you related your experience in which the Garda didn’t do their job, I then asked if your experience was that the Gardai didn’t do their job properly.

The question marks after my question should have given it away. This is a question mark. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Cocobongo

There’s definitely good and bad people working as guards out there.
    Have been dealing with them for a few times and mostly the people skills they had were excellent, but also met a couple of bad ones once, when they decided stop and ask me if i was drunk at an early morning hours and when i said i don’t drink since i had a heart surgery recently they both started showing signs of snorting drugs whilst looking at me and telling me that i still look very suspicious to them (seems funny, but the smiles they had on their faces at the time looked like they just decided to make fun of me).. not the best way to deal with people, just drug test or breathalyse me if you’d like instead of taking a piss..

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭poo poo

Gardai are in the most part excellent - You try being completely curteous to a guy speeding when half an hr earlier you might have seen a mangled baby being puLled out of an RTC.

As said earlier, if you have an issue with the Gardai, you are most likely a complete scumfúck

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

poo poo wrote: »
    Gardai are in the most part excellent - You try being completely curteous to a guy speeding when half an hr earlier you might have seen a mangled baby being puLled out of an RTC.

As said earlier, if you have an issue with the Gardai, you are most likely a complete scumfúck

Yeah, Frank McBrearty and Maurice McCabe are such lowlifes.

poo poo wrote: »

Utter bull****e.Is Maurice mccabe, as you so beautifully phrase it,(scum****)?

Allinall wrote: »
    Personal insults.

Stay classy .
    Since you're so offended by me saying what I saw 15 years ago,that I called the ban garda fat. I will rephrase my comments so,she wasn't fat,she was pleasantly plump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lonewolf1961

All garda are very nice once you do what they tell you ! .

Advertisement