Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your experience with the Gardai

Options
  • 10-01-2018 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

For those of you who have dealt first hand with the Guards either as a suspect or a victim, how did you find them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I've never dealt with the Guards - they dealt with me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,943 ✭✭✭pgj2015

i find them to be very fair, and easy to talk to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Grand, you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Not a bad bunch of lads in fairness, the front-line ones anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Nothing but good experiences

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Stern but fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Polite but not the brightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Always good, if you are reasonable, they will respect you.
    If you have a poor opinion of them, chances are you are a scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

I find that in general that they look for the easy touch ( speeding, drink drivers). They haven't caught a robber in my locality in years. The justice system is a joke but they aren't doing enough on drugs and robberries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I occasionally deal with them now through work and find them grand.

I got a good few thumps and punches off them as a young lad and wholeheartedly deserved everyone of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

They were fair with me everytime they raided my gaff when I was a tipper in my 20s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Few times I have, always positive. Quite apparent there are a few bag eggs in the bunch but I respect what they do, and am thankful.

Just a shame our Judges are so far removed from the mainstream that a few quid in the poor box will absolve one of what at one time was considered a serious crime, ie sexual assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Pretty good , the only time Ive ever interacted with gardai has been asking for directions /info at big events with large crowds, and getting passports and legal documents.

But one time I was walking in town and a bin bag full of styrofoam pieces on the path had burst and was all over the path. I walked over it and it was rainy so it stuck to my shoes. A few seconds later a garda car drove beside and garda rolled down his window and barked 'oi you did you burst that bag of styrofoam', I said uh no why? and he said well whys it all over your feet then? I just said well it was nothing to do with me. And he said well if i check the CCTV from the shop out front are you still sticking with that story? and I said yes and he drove off.
    Thought it was very ****ing rude, to be so aggressive without having any reason to be

Thats the only bad experience though. I was about 19 at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,288 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

All good in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Work closely with them on a day to day basis.

Thankless job, they do great work and don't deserve the ****e aimed at them. Sure there are some bad eggs but all in all they're a good bunch of people who just want to make a difference and help people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I once had a Garda tell me I couldn’t use my birth cert as my proof of age (when applying for my Garda ID) as it didn’t have my date of birth on it. I’ll never forget the laugh my Mother and I got off it. Maybe she was confused because it was a UK birth cert. I dunno. Took her a while to realise it was definitely written on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Never had a problem with them sure there's probably a few rotten eggs but overall good. The way I see it is if you act the prick you will be treated like a prick.

Snotty wrote: »
    Always good, if you are reasonable, they will respect you.
    If you have a poor opinion of them, chances are you are a scumbag.

I have a semi poor opinion of the guards and not from them giving me hassle or anything. I just found that when I called them with a problem, like when someone was trying to break into my house....... They didn't show up for hours and sometimes they didn't even show up at all.

Gardai in general seem to be a quite under equipped and under funded police force, thereore they can't really do their job properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭ROAAAR

Power corrupts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I've had minimal enough dealing with them, a brief chat at a few checkpoints or when sorting out different documents for passport/driving license.

They've all been fairly sound, just decent folks like the rest of us who're making ends meet. At the end of the day they take off their uniform and go home to their families just like the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I have a semi poor opinion of the guards and not from them giving me hassle or anything. I just found that when I called them with a problem, like when someone was trying to break into my house....... They didn't show up for hours and sometimes they didn't even show up at all.

Gardai in general seem to be a quite under equipped and under funded police force, thereore they can't really do their job properly.

I dont know if its different now, but up to a few years ago, the Gardai had to use their personal mobile phones at their own expense, when they weren't using the force's own walkie talkies (there must be a more modern term for these now?)

It seemed to me to be unfair, considering that the Esat masts / antenna were being installed in garda stations in the late 90's early 00's, so as to avoid paying yearly fees to private land owners, and also to deter public demonstrations at the erection of the masts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Well keep your response to a polite but firm "No comment" and "Am I obliged to answer that question?". If they say yes "Can you explain under what law please?

Remember kids fish only get caught because they open their mouths!.

Only knew one personally who was mates with a old Housemate of mine. Mad whore with drink and drugs in him. Think Brendan Gleeson in the Guard type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭cycle4fun

Most are sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Well keep your response to a polite but firm "No comment" and "Am I obliged to answer that question?". If they say yes "Can you explain under what law please?

I can never understand why a person would waste their own time and that of the Gardaí with such nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I've never had any issue with Gardai here, or the police in the UK. Always been treated fairly.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

So you have a semi poor opinion on the guards because, and you confirm it yourself, they are under resourced and not able to deal with all incidents immediately??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Snotty wrote: »
    So you have a semi poor opinion on the guards because, and you confirm it yourself, they are under resourced and not able to deal with all incidents immediately??

Whatever about the reasons for it but of course those issues will impact how we view gardai on a personal individual levels if those issues result in gardai not responding to our requests or taking very long times to process them

You wouldn't have a good opinion of your child's teacher if they never paid any attention to your child because the class had too many kids would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

One poor interaction. There was a little scut shooting off an airsoft rifle in our estate last summer. During the day with small kids around. They're illegal to carry and use in public places. Rang local Garda station but the Garda who answered couldn't have cared less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,943 ✭✭✭pgj2015

namloc1980 wrote: »
    One poor interaction. There was a little scut shooting off an airsoft rifle in our estate last summer. During the day with small kids around. They're illegal to carry and use in public places. Rang local Garda station but the Garda who answered couldn't have cared less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnD_51Vvi1I

Advertisement