Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would you pay to go onto a beach?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I realise its the wrong time of the year to be talking of Beaches and Summer - but i'm bored LOL ... but if Councils started charging people to use beaches in the summer would you pay and how much would you be prepared to pay.

My initial feeling was no way ... but then I got to thinking if it was done right and kept clean of rubbish (and dog poo and the like) , maintained properly (walls paths and steps etc) , had public toilets (and maybe communal showers/changing rooms) and a lifeguard then it sort of changed my mind a bit. I most probably would pay up to 2.50 for 1 person and maybe 5 or 8 euro for a family.

I wonder if any other countries in the world have a system where they pay to go onto a beach or whether its all free around the world?
    Private and council lidos all over the world. A couple of euro gets you a lifeguard , sun lounger, beach umbrella and possible table service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Simply have a carpark charge with a sign saying that all income goes towards keeping the beach in good condition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

I realise its the wrong time of the year to be talking of Beaches and Summer - but i'm bored LOL ... but if Councils started charging people to use beaches in the summer would you pay and how much would you be prepared to pay.

Not a chance I would hold it and do it in the water.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,718 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

New thread idea: "Should people who think they should be on ritalin get it for free?"

im sure if i went to my doc's I could get it free anyway ... - I have been to the precursor CBT appointments anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

in spain the council operate the beach beds, umbrella etc... that you can rent, they get the income to maintain the beach from the rental fees of this equipment.

Not D Umbrella Corpration :eek:

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

It would be impossible to police. Would you charge for all beaches, or only the popular ones? There's about 10 beaches all within a 20 minute drive from me that would be considered easy access (you don't have to go searching for them, there's more if you count them). I use one of them nearly weekly, sometimes several times a day. There's two main entrances but the entire length of beach is open and can be accessed at any point along it. Three more beaches (different names, separated by rocks or a river) are all within sight and can be easily accessed outside of entrances. The river is the only thing that would provide any challenge as it can only be crossed at certain tides and in a certain spot... but it can be crossed. If you have a 3 mile long beach that's open the entire length, you'd have to set up perimeter controls.

Your idea might work for the typical touristy beaches but for the most part, it would cost more to keep a pay station going than you'd get for the charge on entering the beach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

Moans about not getting a free refill and wants to pay to use a beach, you Sligoeans are a weird bread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Where in the heck do you think we are??Spain?? Noones going to pay for a trip to a beach here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I almost automatically thought no way it should be a right to have access to the sea/beach.
    But then it does seem to be a right that's routinely abused during the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I use to work with a polish girl and her husband and they told me there's some popular tourist destination there where you have to pay for the air! :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I have in Dubai. As long as charge is not excessive and the area and beach surrounding it are kept clean i have no issue with it

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Simply have a carpark charge with a sign saying that all income goes towards keeping the beach in good condition

but with my sceptical hat on then i would be thinking someone in the council is pocketing the profits rather than it going towards maintenance

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

rossie1977 wrote: »
    I have in Dubai. As long as charge is not excessive and the area and beach surrounding it are kept clean i have no issue with it
    You’ll get some shock when you go to an Irish beach next. Far from the temperatures in Dubai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Some people stand in that darkness
    afraid to step into the light

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

but with my sceptical hat on then i would be thinking someone in the council is pocketing the profits rather than it going towards maintenance

But you will be able to see the benefits in front you. - I was on murvagh beach on Monday - very clean. excellent carpark. Interesting to see a "no bins" policy to encourage users to take all waste home.

Would have loved to see a small bin for doggy waste - sometimes I forget to take it out of the car.

Btw - loved that lyons cafe is still there in sligo. Have a photo from 1976 of eating a knickerbocker glory in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The no bins policy is so they don't have to empty them or get grief when they're constantly overflowing in the summer.

kneemos wrote: »
    The no bins policy is so they don't have to empty them or get grief when they're constantly overflowing in the summer.

and this no bins policy really works does it and makes people take their rubbish home?? - thats interesting if it works like

I'd pay if it meant no F**kers driving up (and ruining) the beach in the 4x4s, if it meant no minorities bringing their horses down to the local beach and nearly drowning the horses (Saleens Waterford), if the car park was watched so the cars dont get broken into, if the beach was cleaned etc etc etc. Id happily pay 5 euro for a fun day at the beach with no d1cks ruining the experience.

Charing for to go to the beach in Ireland will never work because we get like 2-3 beach a summer which makes the idea totally unworkable because the beaches will very rarely be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

if you charged everyone that used the beach 10 euro an hour you still wouldn't raise enough money to keep the beaches litter free let alone provide car parking, supervised areas, toilets, showers, and lifeguards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 humpsterfire

not a chance, unless I own the beach and get to charge others

• Registered Users Posts: 18,071 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Was in Sardinia a few years ago and they have a number of pay beaches. But for that you get decent facilities like toilets regularly cleaned and maintained. Great weather too!

No go in Ireland though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I thought we all owned the beaches so I wouldn't pay.

I thought I owned my house but I pay a tax for the pleasure !

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Was in Sardinia a few years ago and they have a number of pay beaches. But for that you get decent facilities like toilets regularly cleaned and maintained. Great weather too!

No go in Ireland though.

I think it could work if you had a private beach . you could provide proper facilities and parking etc
    but it would have to be like 100 a day per family to work.

I'd pay if it meant no F**kers driving up (and ruining) the beach in the 4x4s, if it meant no minorities bringing their horses down to the local beach and nearly drowning the horses (Saleens Waterford), if the car park was watched so the cars dont get broken into, if the beach was cleaned etc etc etc. Id happily pay 5 euro for a fun day at the beach with no d1cks ruining the experience.

Charing for to go to the beach in Ireland will never work because we get like 2-3 beach a summer which makes the idea totally unworkable because the beaches will very rarely be used.

if we put a roof on the beaches they would be used more :D - they would have to be special panels though that will let the UV rays get through as well as when its raining :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Andy you're wiser than you let on. I commend your subtleness.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Andy you're wiser than you let on. I commend your subtleness.

thanks - i'll take that as a compliment ... compliments have been a bit short on here lately i dunno why :)

if we put a roof on the beaches they would be used more :D - they would have to be special panels though that will let the UV rays get through as well as when its raining :)

andy , your a man with loads of spare time. can you work out how much it would cost to roof the whole country.. it would really sort us out

andy , your a man with loads of spare time. can you work out how much it would cost to roof the whole country.. it would really sort us out

God , for the moment there i thought you were gonna say "andy, your a man with loads of spare tine, can you roof the whole of ireland?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

If it was a big sandy beach and it was hot and you'd spend hours there reading and swimming Id pay a fiver..
    theres not really any large beaches in dublin and not many days hot enough Id want to go to a beach so unfortunately for those reason Id not be happy to pay any amount of money to use them

Advertisement