Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would you pay to go onto a beach?

Options
  • 09-01-2018 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,718 ✭✭✭✭

I realise its the wrong time of the year to be talking of Beaches and Summer - but i'm bored LOL ... but if Councils started charging people to use beaches in the summer would you pay and how much would you be prepared to pay.

My initial feeling was no way ... but then I got to thinking if it was done right and kept clean of rubbish (and dog poo and the like) , maintained properly (walls paths and steps etc) , had public toilets (and maybe communal showers/changing rooms) and a lifeguard then it sort of changed my mind a bit. I most probably would pay up to 2.50 for 1 person and maybe 5 or 8 euro for a family.

I wonder if any other countries in the world have a system where they pay to go onto a beach or whether its all free around the world?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 grammer natsi

How do you police it with different access points all along the beach?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

If it had a wall then I'd pay premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,718 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

How do you police it with different access points all along the beach?

good question .... Build That Wall ! - haha:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

I realise its the wrong time of the year to be talking of Beaches and Summer - but i'm bored LOL ... but if Councils started charging people to use beaches in the summer would you pay and how much would you be prepared to pay.

My initial feeling was no way ... but then I got to thinking if it was done right and kept clean of rubbish (and dog poo and the like) , maintained properly (walls paths and steps etc) , had public toilets (and maybe communal showers/changing rooms) and a lifeguard then it sort of changed my mind a bit. I most probably would pay up to 2.50 for 1 person and maybe 5 or 8 euro for a family.

I wonder if any other countries in the world have a system where they pay to go onto a beach or whether its all free around the world?

in spain the council operate the beach beds, umbrellas etc... that you can rent, they get the income to maintain the beach from the rental fees of this equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

Sign that you spend too much time on boards - knew who the OP would be before I clicked into thread, how'ya Andy !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I thought we all owned the beaches so I wouldn't pay.

rekluse wrote: »
    Sign that you spend too much time on boards - knew who the OP would be before I clicked into thread, how'ya Andy !

im all good thanks - i get bored a lot and my mind races away haha :D - i think i should be on Ritalin

I thought we all owned the beaches so I wouldn't pay.

how do we own it? - do you mean as in taxes we pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

I don't like that idea at all. It would be like charging people to use public parks, or to let their children play on council owned Greens. I know some people abuse those facilities but most don't and we need some free spaces to enjoy without having to fork out money for the privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

If they kept bag of cans and a fight, scoby teenagers out I would

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Who owns the beaches then? Everyone has a right to go onto them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭buried

Great. Good f**king job man. Give them more ideas to diddle out of our f**king wallets for doing absolutely nothing why don't you.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

in spain the council operate the beach beds, umbrellas etc... that you can rent, they get the income to maintain the beach from the rental fees of this equipment.

you'll need them if you want to make a go of it here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

buried wrote: »
    Great. Good f**king job man. Give them more ideas to diddle out of our f**king wallets for doing absolutely nothing why don't you.

Its a reasonable question.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The state, I.e. us, own all the foreshores afaik unless a private house has private access

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Huexotzingo

I'd pay not to read your threads.

Probably not.

I dont go to beaches near Dublin. And then in Donegal and Kerry - where you find the best collections of beaches - even in the summer time, some of the very best beaches in the world are empty in these counties.

Good man, an opinion worth sharing with the world.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Its a reasonable question.

Yeah I'd say if your a greedy corporate council climbing lackey looking to create even more funds for the do nothing councils its a great question and idea.

You know what....

I'm open to changes in Opinion.

And yes, on reflection and further examination, Andy does start a lot of threads.....

• Advertisement

Yeah I'd say if your a greedy corporate council climbing lackey looking to create even more funds for the do nothing councils its a great question and idea.

Whatevs....

I'd be much more interested in hearing about something in ireland that you like or respect.

Anything?

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Whatevs....

I'd be much more interested in hearing about something in ireland that you like or respect.

Anything?

The beaches.

going on a beach is recreational and entertainment ... if you want to go to a sports place you pay .... if you want to be entertained and go to a cinema you pay... - if you want clean air you have to buy an air purifier... if you want to see fish you have to buy a fish tank ... - if you want blue skies er ... you go abroad :D

lucky for you, you dont have to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Good way to keep the riffraff out

biko wrote: »
    Good way to keep the riffraff out

good point.

if the riffraff want free entertainment i am sure they can sunbathe and drink tinny's in their back (council estate haha) yards for free :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

going on a beach is recreational and entertainment ... if you want to go to a sports place you pay .... if you want to be entertained and go to a cinema you pay... - if you want clean air you have to buy an air purifier... if you want to see fish you have to buy a fish tank ... - if you want blue skies er ... you go abroad :D

If you want coffee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Only if the ladies had their funbags out

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Do they charge for parking in some areas? Pretty much the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,501 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

im all good thanks - i get bored a lot and my mind races away haha :D - i think i should be on Ritalin

New thread idea: "Should people who think they should be on ritalin get it for free?"

Advertisement