Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a retired rugby pro

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Have you seen the stories this week about Eddie Brennan and a few more talking about drink bans in the GAA

Eddie said that Brian Cody just left it up to the players themselves on deciding when to have a few pints during the season

What are your thoughts on drink bans in sport?

Players have to let off a bit of steam during the season

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Have you seen the stories this week about Eddie Brennan and a few more talking about drink bans in the GAA

Eddie said that Brian Cody just left it up to the players themselves on deciding when to have a few pints during the season

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105783187&postcount=76

• Company Representative Posts: 83 Verified rep I'm a Retired Rugby Pro, AMA

I wouldn't be a fan of drinking bans. I'm also not someone that would have drank a lot during the season, that was my own choice. I think it's important that a player can manage it himself and if he gets it wrong then he learns from it and improves the management of when to drink and when to leave it off. A big part of becoming a good athlete is managing your own lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Purist98

Hiya Jonny, thanks for doing this. Was sorry to see you retire, thought you were really coming into your own and could've kicked on and pushed for an Irish call-up.
    With the schools cups coming up, is schools rugby talked about by the pros in training much?
    Would you take notice of the big schools talents and think about whether they might be in the environment soon?
    To your knowledge has anyone ever gone straight from school to a professional contract in Muster?

• Company Representative Posts: 83 Verified rep I'm a Retired Rugby Pro, AMA

Purist98 wrote: »
    Hiya Jonny, thanks for doing this. Was sorry to see you retire, thought you were really coming into your own and could've kicked on and pushed for an Irish call-up.
    With the schools cups coming up, is schools rugby talked about by the pros in training much?
    Would you take notice of the big schools talents and think about whether they might be in the environment soon?
    To your knowledge has anyone ever gone straight from school to a professional contract in Muster?
    Thank you! :)

Schools cup would be mentioned alright, guys would still have pride in their school. You'd know if there was someone talented or if there was a wonder try but not sure about thinking of them coming in to the environment. It's a massive step up.

Maybe Keith Earls? JJ went into the academy and development the following year I think. Paddy Butler skipped a few stages but not sure if anyone has gone straight in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Thank you! :)

Schools cup would be mentioned alright, guys would still have pride in their school. You'd know if there was someone talented or if there was a wonder try but not sure about thinking of them coming in to the environment. It's a massive step up.

Maybe Keith Earls? JJ went into the academy and development the following year I think. Paddy Butler skipped a few stages but not sure if anyone has gone straight in

Keith Earls had a Munster deal set up from a young age, in fact part of him getting the deal involved moving schools.

He moved Schools for Senor Cup as he couldn't be at a "B School"(St. Nessan's, now Thomond Community College) so moved to St Munchin's and won the Senor Cup with them.

Its funny, that he started off as a flanker who kicked goals until senor cup age :D

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Unfortunately that's where we have to wrap it up. Thanks very much to Jonny for an insightful AMA and I hope you all enjoyed it.

Just a reminder that you can find out more about his nutritional and consultation services here. And Cork Con will have AIL action next on January 27th when they take on St Mary's College (away) if you want to support the local game and see one of his other commitments up close :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement